Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Oh what the hell, is there seriously no bonfire in the crystal cave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Worth pumping Elite Knight Armor to +5 everything or going for something like Black? I'm not really seeing what's all so great about the Elite version.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

Some joker put "Weakness: Head" in front of a Titanite demon. Thanks a lot dude, real helpful!

My favorite message I ran into was in Darkroot Basin. You get there, and immediately that stupid hydra starts blasting you with huge volleys of waterbolts. You finally manage to get up to the shore after dealing with the golems and run out and check the message there to see if it's anything helpful... "Monster ahead" No poo poo, Sherlock. :v:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

smuh posted:

It's not a very long rung back. All that stands between the closest library bonfire and the cave is about 4 atronachs.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

invalid posted:

Worth pumping Elite Knight Armor to +5 everything or going for something like Black? I'm not really seeing what's all so great about the Elite version.

Definitely not the gloves, they're awful - even Hard Leather beats them by miles, except for poise of course.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Hamburger Test posted:

At 29 I feel like I'm underlevelled for S+O, at what level do people usually do this? I'm getting murdered within 5 seconds, I can't even get Iron Flesh off - and then I get 2 shot.

I was 57, but then again I beat it on my first try (I am a pyromancer... my fire does like 500 damage to them a pop)... Just get up to a high enough level where you can summon a couple people to help. If you die right away get some more vitality or up your endurance so you can block them. Once you do that its just learning their patterns, which can be done by putting down your soul sign and helping other people.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Shalinor posted:

So, what's the reasoning behind lightning in particular? Does it have an effect that fire just can't match, or, would a fire spear be potentially just as lethal?

Still don't have either requisite ember, just wondering if my dragon-headed pyro could reasonably go fire instead to complete the look.

(I realize I would have to carry another weapon too, since I'd be all fire damage at that point / would get rocked in PvP by anyone who noticed such)

Lightning is apparently the poo poo and it's generally harder to find enemies that resist it, and it also gives the highest damage bonus. Additionally, lightning seems to stun opponents more easily. Fire has slightly less damage but it's good to have another element handy in case a monster resists one of the two, or if someone stacks their gear towards resisting a particular element in pvp.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

smuh posted:

You get used to it, and the boss is actually one of the easier ones if you're ranged.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Talran posted:

You get used to it, and the boss is actually one of the easier ones if you're ranged.

This. Trying to stabbity stab the boss is horrible. My first time, I tried cutting off the tail. Got him half way dead and died. Found out that you have to hack at the TIP of his tail. :wtc:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

invalid posted:

First, I've never made the dumb mistake of wasting twinkling titanite on armor, but I think those armor pieces that upgrade with TT don't go farther than +5.

Second, the Elite Knight chestpiece looks pretty great.

Third and most importantly, it upgrades with simple titanite shards/large shards/chunks/slabs.

My main character, in NG+, still uses her Elite Knight chestpiece +10. Its defense values are comparable to Havel's armor.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jetpack Postman posted:

Updated the OP with Sheep-Goat's guide. You can stop reposting it all the time now, dude. Sorry it took so long - this thread moves crazy fast and it's difficult to keep up.

Thanks, got it. Send me your email or buy plat or something. I've already got nine or ten changes I have to make that others have pointed out and will hopefully get v1.1 out by the end of the week to at least fix those errors.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Grinding humanity out of the baby skeletons isn't as bad as I thought, pretty annoying that you have to be very close to the item drop or it disappears in like 2 seconds.

To anyone that's done the same does it matter what weapon I use? Would I get a better drop rate if I used a Divine weapon for example?

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
I'm a little disappointed with how incredibly easy Pinwheel was :( Maybe I was just way overlevelled for him at this point? I'm SL 36

Also wish I had found a bonfire between the first catacombs one and the area after him, because I fell off a cliff, and now I'm out 15k souls because I just don't feel like going all the way back.

gently caress all the pitch-black underground places in this game, why can't they just keep giving us cool, interesting settings like the Parish and the Burg - hell, even the underground burg/depths were okay. But gently caress Blighttown, Catacombs and the giants. I'm starting to really dislike late-game DaS :(

edit: Oh also Jetpack Postman, I don't know if you saw my post it (thread moves fast and it was a day or so ago), but Xbox 360 players can talk to the person they're phantoming with over Private Chat - I did it with a random guy I connected with friday night and it worked fine, no kicking us back to the title screen. When I looked at the xbox menu, it said we were in the "DARK SOULS" chat channel. Maybe ours was a fluke, but others might at least give it a try :shobon:

Jadz fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 16, 2011

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

RedTonic posted:

This. Trying to stabbity stab the boss is horrible. My first time, I tried cutting off the tail. Got him half way dead and died. Found out that you have to hack at the TIP of his tail. :wtc:
Welp I finally did manage to stabbity stab him! Thank gently caress I had my curse resistant ring. Do you get something super duper awesome if you cut off his tail? I just went up close and slashed at him until the crystals came down, then ran away like a little girl.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

RedTonic posted:

Speaking of which, why the heck is my Moonlight Sword solid? False advertising! :mad:

Heavy neutrino posted:

First, I've never made the dumb mistake of wasting twinkling titanite on armor, but I think those armor pieces that upgrade with TT don't go farther than +5.

Third and most importantly, it upgrades with simple titanite shards/large shards/chunks/slabs.

My main character, in NG+, still uses her Elite Knight chestpiece +10. Its defense values are comparable to Havel's armor.

As far as I can tell, the Black Iron +5 set gives defenses equivalent or better to Smaugh's Armor, but is considerably lighter, and doesn't look like rear end. Also, you'll need 40 pieces of Twinkling Titanite to upgrade it. If there's a better set of armor in the game, I'm not aware of it.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'd challenge you to a duel as soon as my leather gloves get back from the smith!

(I thought I could get them to +5 with just regular shards)

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Defghanistan posted:

My god. Ok well I guess it's time to go enable that cage and then go farm back those souls. Thanks fellas.

About to enter Anor Londo, any specific things to watch out for?

Spend all your souls, you will die. A lot until luck goes your way at one point

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Black Iron Helm is the best helmet in the game. Antiquated Skirt is the best legging in the game (that's not heavy armor). Both are worth using your TT on.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Still O+S:

Pash posted:

I was 57, but then again I beat it on my first try (I am a pyromancer... my fire does like 500 damage to them a pop)... Just get up to a high enough level where you can summon a couple people to help. If you die right away get some more vitality or up your endurance so you can block them. Once you do that its just learning their patterns, which can be done by putting down your soul sign and helping other people.

Never mind, figured out that my mistake was trying to Iron Flesh through it when it is so easily kitable. Just need to figure out Super S now.

I will have them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
More Solaire crap.

Does anyone know if he'll get headcrabbed if I rest at a bonfire now and come back? I've flagged him in the corridor finally (cleared the hall of bugs, then had to beat Centipede and talk to him at the following bonfire, then he was in the hall bemoaning his mission).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just discovered Ash Lake... wow, it's so awesome down here! Love the chanting. Is there really anything to do other than meet the dragon at the end?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Shalinor posted:

So, what's the reasoning behind lightning in particular? Does it have an effect that fire just can't match, or, would a fire spear be potentially just as lethal?

Still don't have either requisite ember, just wondering if my dragon-headed pyro could reasonably go fire instead to complete the look.

(I realize I would have to carry another weapon too, since I'd be all fire damage at that point / would get rocked in PvP by anyone who noticed such)

Lightning and Fire weapons both do a ton of damage but their damage doesn't scale with your stats. They're still friggin powerful though. I think more tough enemies will be resistant to fire than resistant to lightning so lightning is better because it gets through so many more enemies (spoiler: not the last boss, though!). Plus apparently you can get a lightning spear for free.

Potentially though, they're equally lethal. I think my Lightning Halberd had 300/306 damage listed (normal/lightning) while my Fire Great Scythe had 306/306 (normal/fire).

Also IIRC you don't need an ember to make either. You just need to talk to the right blacksmith (although you do need an ember to upgrade a +5 fire weapon any farther, and you can only add lightning to a +10 standard weapon)

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Just discovered Ash Lake... wow, it's so awesome down here! Love the chanting. Is there really anything to do other than meet the dragon at the end?

Weakness: Tail

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I loves me some poise, but I wanted to figure out what was some weight efficient poise. So, poise over weight. Helmets right now, with only helmets that have poise listed.

pre:
Standard Helm:     1.42
Chain Helm:        1.66
Knight Helm:       1.9
Elite Knight Helm: 1.77
Cleric Helm:       1.66
Elite Cleric Helm: 1.76
Iron Helm:         1.77
Black Iron Helm:   2
Helm of the Wise:  1.56
Catarina Helm:     1.77
Crystaline Helm:   1.42
Brass Helm:        1.56
Eastern Helm:      1.7
Hollow Soldier:    1.66
Balder Helm:       1.42
Steel:             1.66
Silver Knight:     1.66
Black Knight:      1.6
Giant Helm:        2.22
Six-Eyed Helm:     1.28
Boar Helm:         1.2
Gargoyle Helm:     2.28
Golem Helm:        2.06
Smough's Helm:     2.05
Ornstein's Helm:   1.63
Dark Mask:         1.57
Helm of Thorns:    1.46
Helm of Favor:     1.77
Paladin Helm:      1.6
Stone Helm:        2.2
Havel:             2.4
Royal:             1.77
Symbol of Avarice: 1.5
Observations: Black iron, the Giant Helm, the Golem Helm, Smough's Helm, the stone helm, and havel's helm all predictably flex their muscles with a poise over weight rating of 2.0 or better. Seems that for the most part, heavy poise is efficient poise.

Except for the Gargoyle Helm, the most standout light helmet revealed by this exercise. With a poise of 8 and a weight of only 3.5, it is light and provides some good poise. Too bad it upgrades with filthy filthy twinkling titanite. Nice helm for the weight though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Observations: Black iron, the Giant Helm, the Golem Helm, Smough's Helm, the stone helm, and havel's helm all flex their muscles with a poise over weight rating of 2.0 or better.

Keep in mind that Giant Helm, Golem Helm, Stone Helm, and Havel's Helm I believe all have an invisible effect of slowing down your stamina recovery to varying degrees. I don't think it says it anywhere in their item descriptions, but the official guide points it out.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just go with whatever makes me look like a badass, in my case: Ornsteins armor, so loving cool. Just made his lightning spear last night and with some upgrades it's really drat good. Currently getting a shotel up though and putting fire on it to gently caress pvp players days up.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
In Anor Londo I just hit the first bonfire and killed the gargoyle, then went down the forest path which was blocked and sealed with the great lords power. There are tons of soul signs saying to jump off past the gargoyle, any idea what to do here?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Defghanistan posted:

In Anor Londo I just hit the first bonfire and killed the gargoyle, then went down the forest path which was blocked and sealed with the great lords power. There are tons of soul signs saying to jump off past the gargoyle, any idea what to do here?

At the base of the staircase where the gargoyle was, there are spots with no railings. Jump down, look around for a treasure chest, and then climb the weird rooftop archway thing over into the adjacent building.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Defghanistan posted:

It's a bit scary if you get vertigo like me but jump off to the side, run to the back to get a item than run up the thin path to the building on the left.

defult
Oct 19, 2007

charismaslover posted:

Grinding humanity out of the baby skeletons isn't as bad as I thought, pretty annoying that you have to be very close to the item drop or it disappears in like 2 seconds.

To anyone that's done the same does it matter what weapon I use? Would I get a better drop rate if I used a Divine weapon for example?

Nah, use what you find best. Furysword sweeping low worked best for me, spear was abit slow even though safer behind a sheild. But if you can farm there you shoulnt have to worry about damage or status.

Being human, pumping up humanity and the item ring. Followed by enough humanity to last you for the rest of playing.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Someone put down a message saying "amazing ring ahead" next to the well in firelink shrine. It's rated +21 :stare:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

With 26 end and wearing ring of favor and protection, the father's helm increases my weight max from 72 to 82.8. Given that most poise efficient equipment has a poise to weight ratio of 2 or higher, that means that if the father's helm is a good move if it means you are equipping heavier armor with it. 10 extra weight could be translating to 20 extra poise, which is better than any other helmet. I don't know the mechanics of how the helm works, be it is a flat addition to weight or a percentage increase. Still, in my case, and probably in others, it is a worthwhile hat.

Edit: Actually, most people are probably only going to use half of that weight, to keep their movement up. So 10 extra weight might be an effective 5 extra lbs of equipment, which means 10 poise. Still, that holds up fairly well as far as helmets go, especially if you are going heavier into a more efficient poise bracket. It isn't the knockout I initially presented though. Still need to know the details of the weight increase effect to make a real determination.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 16, 2011

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Someone put down a message saying "amazing ring ahead" next to the well in firelink shrine. It's rated +21 :stare:

It's telling that the only messages I see rated AT ALL are all trolls like that.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
I think I saw a lot of people talking about the dual dark knight archers in Anor Londo? Eagle Shield+10 and Ring of Steel Protection totally aced that.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Siegelind :stare:

"If he goes Hollow, I'll just have to kill him again."

Sometimes the messages can be lifesavers, at least. There's a false ladder in the depths that I was about to descend when I saw someone left a note about an imminent fall. It made me suspicious enough to actually get a good look.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
I'm down to two bosses left on my SL1 playthrough, Seathe and Gwyn. I may just finish one of them and consider the game "beaten" because after doing some PvP last night, I definitely do not want to enter NG+ with this character.

It is absolutely hilarious invading Undead Burg wearing Gold Hemmed Armor with a fully upgraded Pyromancer Flame and getting paired up with people who have just started the game. Since the red eye orb doesn't let them know they're being invaded (according to the wiki anyway, I can't confirm this), I like to make it fun and pretend I'm some ridiculously powerful NPC by slowly patrolling around the ramparts.

The results have been hilarious so far, with people ranging from scared shitless to curious. My favorite so far was a guy who slowly crept up behind me every time I'd take a step, only to not notice the fire bombers above him. He died pretty fast :3:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
It's so great when the summoner dies like right away to Quelaag. Especially since I'm tanking all of her attacks. I'm doing this to help out of the goodness of my heart (And to get some quick souls though that part is debatable at this point) but it's just disheartening when people just instant die to these bosses.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What's the earliest, fastest way for me to join either the Darkmoon Blade or the Darkwraiths? I wanna get my PvP on :mad:

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Didn't someone here beat the Four Kings at SL 21? Please share your secret, I'm trying to get into the Darkwraiths for some pvp fun on the Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Zain posted:

It's so great when the summoner dies like right away to Quelaag. Especially since I'm tanking all of her attacks. I'm doing this to help out of the goodness of my heart (And to get some quick souls though that part is debatable at this point) but it's just disheartening when people just instant die to these bosses.

Hey man you get hit by the big lava barf and you're DONE

Well-done, at that.

• Locked thread