Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

schadenfraud posted:

Remember the Yemenis have asked NATO to stay away

This is because they keep getting murdered by their drone strikes, its pretty reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
This is some amazing footage of what happened just after Gaddafi died:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lw2tRvTmVM&feature=player_embedded

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Brown Moses posted:

I see he's changed his story to being an aid worker, rather than a photojournalist.

Did anyone catch the name of the journalist who interviewed him?

I left a comment on the page, couldn't transcribe it at all.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

d3c0y2 posted:

Didnt he end up boxing someone from SA, I know he was outright crazy but its mental that a crazy person such as him was able to hide it to the extent he could get A. medical training B. Guns and equipment.

He was told to box an admin as part of his mod challenge, the plans did not work out.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Isn't Ali Tarhouni the guy who dropped teaching his econ class to go serve the revolution? And then later infiltrated Miserata during the fighting with a sack of cash to keep things going?

Sounded like a really smart guy from the first article, and balls of steel for the second. (and major credibility for Miserata, too, which will help with the whole Bengazi / Miserata split.)

I thought he'd been killed.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Bulky Brute posted:

This is nonsense. Trots aren't "effectively pro-Gadaffi", they are anti-imperialists, and as such they understand that this supposed revolution is in fact the imperialist subjugation of a former colony. They're not defending Gadaffi, they're explaining the political significance of these events.Personally, I believe this article adequately explains that perspective.

The above article is absolutely ludicrous. "The west has done bad things in the recent past. Also Iran, Al-Qaeda and oil, somehow. Ergo the intervention = evil." Not a loving word about the four decades of oppression, the native Libyan uprising or the Libyan and Arab requests for an intervention. Not a loving word about shooting protesters with AA guns. Not a loving word about a revolution toppling a dictator. NATO may be assholes, but you know what? gently caress trotskyists. gently caress them hard.

E: Seriously, the focus of that article is entirely on the west's previous wrongdoings, with some abstract fearmongering thrown in. It doesn't even acknowledge the Libyans fighting and dying on the ground, as if they didn't exist or matter in any way. This is some disgusting Red Man's Burden poo poo.

Mr. Sunshine fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 24, 2011

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Warcabbit posted:

Isn't Ali Tarhouni the guy who dropped teaching his econ class to go serve the revolution? And then later infiltrated Miserata during the fighting with a sack of cash to keep things going?

Sounded like a really smart guy from the first article, and balls of steel for the second. (and major credibility for Miserata, too, which will help with the whole Bengazi / Miserata split.)

I thought he'd been killed.

Yes, but I'm not sure how much infiltration was required to get into Misrata or on the contents of his luggage. He definitely did head there quite early compared to other members of the NTC though.

You know BM it's been pretty amazing watching the steady rise of Ali Tarhouni through this whole thing. Should be interesting to see where he goes next with this, hope he doesn't get assassinated.

Ice 9ine
Oct 7, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Video of Ghaddafi getting sodomized

http://video.godlikeproductions.com/video/Video_shows_Muammar_Gaddafi_being_sodomized?id=7187e8efe75f168f9b9

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

I can't click this at work, but uh.... WHAT.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Just goes to show, 'he who lives by the sod dies by the sod."

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

They're definitely shoving something in his rear end, but I can't tell what it is (it's not a dick).

Ice 9ine
Oct 7, 2011

by Fistgrrl

QPZIL posted:

I can't click this at work, but uh.... WHAT.

It is what you think it is. But it is safe for work.

edit: Looks like its a handle of some sort being put in his pooper

Ice 9ine fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 24, 2011

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bulky Brute posted:

This is nonsense. Trots aren't "effectively pro-Gadaffi", they are anti-imperialists, and as such they understand that this supposed revolution is in fact the imperialist subjugation of a former colony. They're not defending Gadaffi, they're explaining the political significance of these events.Personally, I believe this article adequately explains that perspective.

It's interesting to see people become so invested in an ideology that when the ideology is challenged by facts, the facts are just bent to conform to ideology. Gaddafi goes from being a brutal, kleptomaniacal clown to the defender of Libyan independence while the popular revolt seeking to overthrow him become catspaws of NATO.

I unironically wish that I lived in your world. A place where a dozen countries can conspire together to bring down a dictatorship without pointless bickering or it becoming a transparent farce and a (even more horrible) bloodbath sounds like a pretty OK place to me.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That's pretty horrible.

You should probably throw a NWS tag up on that link, because it's pretty NWS.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
NPR did an extended piece on Caro. e:fb

rum sodomy the lash fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 24, 2011

Bulky Brute
Aug 23, 2004
I'm a horrible extreme leftist moron who developed my political opinions through a long and trying process of smelling my own farts until my brain died. Please ignore all my stupid posts---------->

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's interesting to see people become so invested in an ideology that when the ideology is challenged by facts, the facts are just bent to conform to ideology. Gaddafi goes from being a brutal, kleptomaniacal clown to the defender of Libyan independence while the popular revolt seeking to overthrow him become catspaws of NATO.
When did I ever defend Gaddafi? Where in my posts, or in that article, does it say anything in defense of Gaddafi? Please don't slander me and put words in my mouth. Explaining the imperialist character of the NATO intervention in Libya is not, in any way, an apology for Gadaffi or his regime.

Bulky Brute
Aug 23, 2004
I'm a horrible extreme leftist moron who developed my political opinions through a long and trying process of smelling my own farts until my brain died. Please ignore all my stupid posts---------->

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The above article is absolutely ludicrous. "The west has done bad things in the recent past. Also Iran, Al-Qaeda and oil, somehow. Ergo the intervention = evil." Not a loving word about the four decades of oppression, the native Libyan uprising or the Libyan and Arab requests for an intervention. Not a loving word about shooting protesters with AA guns. Not a loving word about a revolution toppling a dictator. NATO may be assholes, but you know what? gently caress trotskyists. gently caress them hard.

E: Seriously, the focus of that article is entirely on the west's previous wrongdoings, with some abstract fearmongering thrown in. It doesn't even acknowledge the Libyans fighting and dying on the ground, as if they didn't exist or matter in any way. This is some disgusting Red Man's Burden poo poo.
It focuses on the west's 'wrongdoings' to argue that foreign policy under capitalism has a fundamental predatory character, to try and root out of your head the silly chauvinistic notion that somehow, after decades of imperial conquest and colonialism, your armed forces can still be a force for good in this world. :allears:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Wow, just this morning I was thinking how lucky he was that the misrata brigade killed him quickly... On the other hand , this is the guy who ordered his militias to rob , rape and attack at random, then ordered that rape victims be prosecuted if they dared to complain about it, so im sure this is just karma.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Bulky Brute posted:

It focuses on the west's 'wrongdoings' to argue that foreign policy under capitalism has a fundamental predatory character, to try and root out of your head the silly chauvinistic notion that somehow, after decades of imperial conquest and colonialism, your armed forces can still be a force for good in this world. :allears:

Yes, I thought it was something like that. So NATO is incapable of ever doing good, even by accident? Yeah, that's a nice little binary world you've built yourself.

E: If the NATO intervention was an unmitigated evil, I assume you believe that the world should have allowed Gaddafi to crush the revolution. Otherwise you are forced to admit that some good did come out of the intervention.

Mr. Sunshine fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 24, 2011

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bulky Brute posted:

You are arguing original sin as a viable political viewpoint? "Some capitalists in the past did bad things, all future capitalists are tainted because of it". You do know that you can replace 'capitalist' with 'communist' [Or more accurately anything] and it's the same thought right?

Bulky Brute
Aug 23, 2004

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Yes, I thought it was something like that. So NATO is incapable of ever doing good, even by accident? Yeah, that's a nice little binary world you've built yourself.
Yes, I believe NATO plays a fundamentally reactionary (scary leftist word there) role in world affairs. I believe you can ascertain the political character of an organization through study and analysis of its actions. Foreign affairs is not a game of chance where heads, NATO does something good, tails, NATO does something bad.

Bulky Brute
Aug 23, 2004

Mr. Sunshine posted:

E: If the NATO intervention was an unmitigated evil, I assume you believe that the world should have allowed Gaddafi to crush the revolution. Otherwise you are forced to admit that some good did come out of the intervention.
I don't care about religious categories like good and evil, and I don't get to tell "the world" what to do. I don't have to 'choose' between Gaddafi and NATO, they've both brought untold misery upon the Libyan people.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A transcription of the Caro interview from TFR

I like turtles posted:

The ragtag militias that overran Muammar Gaddafi's hometown included at least one American. Reporter Machrine Olivizi [no idea how to spell name] spoke to him on several occasions during the battle, and sent us this report.

Reporter: At the makeshift cafeteria set up a couple of miles west of Sirte, a young man stands out in the crowd of disheveled fighters. He wears Oakley sunglasses, a helmet on his shaved head, and a khaki bulletproof jacket on a fit body. Then, there's the accent.
Caro: They returned fire with a single mortar tube against our grad(?) batteries and they managed to score nearly direct hits with their first barrage. And the RPG fire that we're sustaining from these guys is concentrated...
Reporter: An unusually detailed military language. I asked him if he is Libyan American
Caro: Ah, no actually, I'm just an American
Reporter: Kevin Dawes, 29, is from San Diego California. He says he has fought for weeks along side troops loyal to Libya's new authorities. He says he first went to Libya as a medical aide worker in June, but at the end of the summer he decided to take up arms after pro-Gaddafi forces started targeting medical staff.
Caro: They actually had an entire ambulance crew dragged out of their ambulance and executed. It was at that point we decided we had no choice - it was either this, or perish here.
Reporter: It was at that point that he added a rifle to his gear which includes a comprehensive medical kit, imported himself from the states.
Caro: It's a full medic bag, everything I need, including airways. But, I can only take part of it with me, because it's a little heavy to carry with a rifle.
Reporter: Oxygen mask, bandages, chest needles, seals to patch wounds, tubes to start an airway. An [something] filled hospital by himself.
Reporter: What's the most complicated procedure you've had to do in the field?
Caro: Uhhh, let's see, I had to... um... debride somebody's blast injuries and ... also.. actually, start an IV was the most complicated thing that I've done by myself. Generally speaking though, I offer, uh, I assist. I'm more of an ambulance guy than anything else.
Fighter: Ok we're leaving.
Caro: Alright
Reporter: Kevin's style and background might be different than that of most of the fighters here, but his unlikely journey to Sirte was no exception. The anti-Gaddafi forces include many freelance fighters coming from all over the country and beyond. It's a force of volunteers loosely attached to regional militias. Kevin admits he's not clear about the chain of command between units, and which authority he's under, but he says he has one precious skill that served him well during the battle for Sirte.
Caro: I work counter sniper, um, actually, I watch windows and take out people plinking at us.
Reporter: Kevin says he was never in the US military, but he does have 10 years of experience as a trained marksman. One NTC fighter has privately tagged Kevin as a war tourist type, others believe he is a CIA agent. Kevin says he gets that a lot, but his reasons for being here are actually much more banal.
Caro: See the world, experience new things, get in way over my head, but, you know, ultimately survive. Do well here, I think.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bulky Brute posted:

Yes, I believe NATO plays a fundamentally reactionary (scary leftist word there) role in world affairs. I believe you can ascertain the political character of an organization through study and analysis of its actions. Foreign affairs is not a game of chance where heads, NATO does something good, tails, NATO does something bad.

So what would the anti-interventionist's answer to the Libya situation have been?

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Countdown until some American politician gives him an award.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Of all of the crazy poo poo that I've ever seen in this forum, Caro is quickly taking first place.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brown Moses posted:

God this is just going to feed his delusions. He actually has national coverage of his exploits. If I'm thinking correctly, he really hasn't done anything illegal in terms of US law right? He didn't say he was CIA, he doesn't need a medical license there, etc. Sad but he could just carry on to the next crazy idea.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Darth123123 posted:

God this is just going to feed his delusions. He actually has national coverage of his exploits. If I'm thinking correctly, he really hasn't done anything illegal in terms of US law right? He didn't say he was CIA, he doesn't need a medical license there, etc. Sad but he could just carry on to the next crazy idea.

It worries me that someone with paranoid delusion is a countersniper, shooting at windows he think contains enemy snipers. It would be very helpful if everyone could point out the parts of his interview which are lies and exagerations, ideally with evidence.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shut up and JAM! posted:

Countdown until some American politician gives him an award.

Like I said earlier, he'll become famous and there will be a blockbuster film made of his adventure, akin to Lawrence of Arabia. When future generations think of the Libyan civil war, they think of how Caro owned Gaddafi.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

So what would the anti-interventionist's answer to the Libya situation have been?

Let Gaddafi cleanse Benghazi and finish crushing the revolt. While he does this you have angry interviews, send sternly worded letters, and apply sanctions which only further hurt the populace.

Bulky Brute
Aug 23, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

As a trot I believe the working classes can and must liberate themselves by their own hands. So yeah, in a better world NATO would have stayed the gently caress out of Libya and let Libyans deal with their dictator, like many others have done throughout history. I don't mean to attack the genuinely good intentions of people that believe this NATO intervention was a positive development, I just think their beliefs are wrong.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Couple of bits about Islam and Libya

quote:

NTC leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil has also sought to dispel concerns that Libya will be adopting a hardline interpretation of Islamic law.

"I would like to assure the international community that we as Libyans are Muslims but moderate Muslims," Abdel Jalil said.

On Sunday, Abdel Jalil had declared that Islamic law would be the primary source of all future legislation in Libya.

quote:

French foreign minister Alain Juppe has acknowledged NTC leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil's statements regarding concerns related to Libya adopted Islamic law.

"Abdel Jalil said that moderate Islam is his reference."

Speaking in the southwestern city of Bordeaux, where he is mayor, Juppe said that sharia is applied "in a great number of Arab countries including some that are countries which respect the fundamentals of democracy."

"It's up to the Libyan people to choose their destiny in free elections," Juppe said, adding that "there is room all around the Mediterranean for an Islam that is reconcilable with our democratic values."

"It is to this that the intercultural and interreligious dialogue that we must develop with Islam must contribute rather than barricading ourselves behind our Western beliefs," he said.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bulky Brute posted:

As a trot I believe the working classes can and must liberate themselves by their own hands. So yeah, in a better world NATO would have stayed the gently caress out of Libya and let Libyans deal with their dictator, like many others have done throughout history. I don't mean to attack the genuinely good intentions of people that believe this NATO intervention was a positive development, I just think their beliefs are wrong.

In other words: Cluck your tongue and shake your head while Benghazi burned because NATO intervention would destroy the purity of a peoples' revolution.

Edit: Clarity.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 24, 2011

Bulky Brute
Aug 23, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

Cluck your tongue and shake your head while Benghazi burned because NATO intervention destroyed the purity of a peoples' revolution.
Haha yes the deaths of thousands, the destruction of an entire city under humanitarian NATO bombs (funny how NATO originally intervened to stop Gaddafi from bombing his own cities), the ethnic cleansing, it's just one big joke!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Bulky Brute posted:

And when the Benghazi rebellion was crushed and, those forces free, Misrata was reduced to ash, what would you have the working classes do then?

Edit: Don't bring NATO into this. You said what you wanted; I'm telling you what would have happened. I'm not saying NATO was perfect in this, I'm asking you: When the rebellion was brutally crushed, what solution would have you have supported then?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bulky Brute posted:

So when the Libyan revolutionaries proved incapable of facing off against a professional army, they should have died in the streets, their ideological purity unsullied, rather than accept help from the very people they, the Arab League and the UN Security Council asked for help? Gotcha.

E:

Bulky Brute posted:

Haha yes the deaths of thousands, the destruction of an entire city under humanitarian NATO bombs (funny how NATO originally intervened to stop Gaddafi from bombing his own cities), the ethnic cleansing, it's just one big joke!
So there should never have been an uprising in the first place, then, since the ungrateful Libyans were better off under the benevolent rule of the Brother Leader?

Mr. Sunshine fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 24, 2011

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bulky Brute posted:

If you recall, before NATO intervened the Libyan rebels were on the verge of being exterminated and were pretty much begging the outside world for help. They didn't have the equipment, training or manpower to stop the military which was attacking them. Without NATO intervention, they would have been crushed and thousands of people would have been murdered in Benghazi.

I'm sure western nations will do their best to be shitheels in the aftermath and try to secure contracts which loot Libya's natural resources/meddle in the new government. The Libyan revolution may result in a new lovely government replacing the old lovely government. However, this use of force is one of the very few times in my lifetime that I saw as justified since it averted what would likely have been a horrifying massacre in Benghazi, and enabled the revolution to succeed

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
You guys don't really understand the trepidation that leftists have towards NATO interventions, which some would feel is justified. No one is arguing that Gaddafi was a perfect leader, or even Stalin. However, the unfortunate thing about being a leftist is that all the really powerful people in the world want you dead. This tends to make even the most well-meaning people a little defensive. To paraphrase, a baby you tried to strangle in the crib isn't going to be the most well adjusted person. I read a report that his government got a lot more brutal after a failed coup early on.
As well, the reports that anti-aircraft weapons were used against unarmed civilians was disproved, so we're back to the fact that they used small arms fire against unarmed civilians. Well, that's pretty terrible, but it's happened in the U.S, and it just happened on the borders of Syria and Israel. This didn't result in a NATO-backed civil war though.
For all their sympathy, I really feel for Americans. The vast majority of the media they receive is so slanted that even well-meaning people have no understanding of what socialism even entails. The problems that do exist in those countries that have communist governments can't be ignored, but then neither can the problems that capitalism causes. The U.S. has been shown to be completely willing to overthrow democratically elected governments that closed their countries for foreign investment. Do you not remember them throwing out the election results in Gaza that favoured HAMAS?
They've influenced elections in plenty of countries, all against the spectre of Communism, but don't the people living in a country get to decide something like that?
The closest historical parallel to the failed Communist revolutions of the 20th century is the French Revolution. Both tried to move away from an oppressive mode of government, both saw massive repression both from former elites in the country and foreign elites, and they both had an oppressive dictator emerge from the constant war they were subjected to for attempting to better their government.
As far as the current freedom of elections that western countries do enjoy, the narrative created by massive news magnates, the rhetoric and actions of the governments have made it so that we are allowed to make choices, within a narrow approved range. The better funded person tends to win elections. The real problem is a total lack of class consciousness.

Ardent Communist fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 24, 2011

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Speaking as a Swede who has studied marxism and Russian/Soviet history rather extensively, I'm getting pretty tired of the socialists coming in ever so often going "Oh you poor Americans, you just don't know what socialism is! If you did, you too would want the Libyan revolutionaries dead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Golbez posted:

And when the Benghazi rebellion was crushed and, those forces free, Misrata was reduced to ash, what would you have the working classes do then?
I don't know about the Libyan working classes but i would have expected posts like: "The West did not intervene to save the working classes in Bengazhi because they are imperialist and are backing up their puppet Gaddafi, don't you know about the oil contracts between Libya and the West!!!!*Post pics of Sarkozy, Blair and other European leaders shacking hands with Gaddafi next to the pictures of dead Benghazi childen*"

• Locked thread