Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I honestly think that within the confines of a wrestling environment, Goldberg was bigger than the Rock, but not Stone Cold. Goldberg was over as gently caress in 1998.

Uh huh... and then never again after that year where the Rock was over as gently caress in 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Moose Bigelow posted:

If things were different then they would be different. Excellent point.

So are you saying that nothing has happened in the last what, 11+ years, since peak Goldberg and peak Rock to impact their popularity?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Great White Hope posted:

So are you saying that nothing has happened in the last what, 11+ years, since peak Goldberg and peak Rock to impact their popularity?

You are trying to fantasy book the past to justify why you like Goldberg more than the Rock.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Moose Bigelow posted:

You are trying to fantasy book the past to justify why you like Goldberg more than the Rock.

Actually I like Rock way more than Goldberg, but I was arguing why 'Rock got a bigger reaction than Goldberg would as being announced for the guest host of Wrestlemania' is not a good argument for Goldberg vs. Rock back when Goldberg was actually relevant.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Great White Hope posted:

I think he's saying that you basically went 'yea but if this totally different thing happened, you'd see I'm right'.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Simply looking at their work outside of wrestling Rock is the clear winner in terms in mainstream success.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

MassRayPer posted:

Uh huh... and then never again after that year where the Rock was over as gently caress in 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002.

But the question I have is was 1998 Goldberg more or less over than 1999-2000 Rock? I think that Goldberg was more over in 1998 than the Rock was from 1999-2000, but it's entirely debatable because it's like night and day even though it's only a year or so apart because WCW went into the shitter in 1999.

It just seems like the Rock was always second fiddle to Steve Austin.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 27, 2011

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
All I can say is that as a kid in England at some point in the late nineties who never watched wrestling, I was very aware of the Rock (I remember people looking at me funny because he was either heel at the time or they liked Austin more) but hadn't heard of Goldberg until his WWE debut.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

But the question I have is was 1998 Goldberg more or less over than 1999-2000 Rock? I think that Goldberg was more over in 1998 than the Rock was from 1999-2000, but it's entirely debatable because it's like night and day even though it's only a year or so apart because WCW went into the shitter in 1999.

Rock was the #1 face from late 99 to late 2000. #1 face of the biggest wrestling company on the planet, at the height of their success. There's not a lot to argue here.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Goldberg was probably WCW's biggest star when he got hot, at which point WWE was closing the gap, but WCW still won the ratings more weeks than not. Actually, he definitely, not probably, was the biggest star in WCW prior to being marginalized and killed off. I don't know his peak was ever beyond Rock's, but they would certainly be comparable in that respect.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
WCW's height was effectively two years, which is about how long Goldberg's career might as well have been. I remember how over he was at the Souled Out PPV in West Virginia. People were chanting his name all night, whether he was involved with that match or not. They had to mute the crowd audio through most of the PPV.

WCW and Goldberg's window was so short that it's hard to look back and compare that to the good decade run The Rock had at the height of his game.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Flameingblack posted:

WCW and Goldberg's window was so short that it's hard to look back and compare that to the good decade run The Rock had at the height of his game.

Rock had a decade? 1998-2008?

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Goldberg was on top of WCW when they won their last MNW ratings battle. Meaning he was on top when they lost the war.

Benign
Oct 20, 2008

And I Quote!
The Rock got his own TV show. That makes me think he was more over in terms of the wrestling industry.

I have no other facts to defend my argument, so I rest my case.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Benign posted:

The Rock got his own TV show. That makes me think he was more over in terms of the wrestling industry.

I have no other facts to defend my argument, so I rest my case.

And they named Shotgun Saturday Night after Kerry Von Erich. Are we going to argue how over he was for a show being named after him as well?

It was a revolver, I know.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lone Rogue posted:

Rock had a decade? 1998-2008?
Wow, okay. Maybe I can't do time very well. Five years is still twice the peak of Goldberg though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

The Rock was a much much bigger star than Goldberg and it isn't even close. I'm not sure where people were seeing these Goldberg t-shirts but they didn't compare to Rock merchandise, Rock ratings, Rock buyrates and Rock's mainstream impact. Goldberg was a huge star from June of 1998 through January of 1999 and after that showed no impact on WCW's business.

Yes, but could the Rock beat up Goldberg?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

MrBling posted:

The former is what allows Goldberg to pick up Steiner almost at will and actually parade him around in a military press and a stalling suplex forever. The latter is Steiner is struggling to get Goldberg up for his power moves despite his gigantic muscles.

I guess the short answer would have been "massive steroid abuse".

Goldberg was a freak because he was drat NFL player. He was literally one of the top athletes in the world before he ever set foot in a ring. Not many other wrestlers could probably touch him in the sheer athleticism department. Shamrock, Angle, Lesnar and, well, not many others.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Goldberg was a freak because he was drat NFL player. He was literally one of the top athletes in the world before he ever set foot in a ring. Not many other wrestlers could probably touch him in the sheer athleticism department. Shamrock, Angle, Lesnar and, well, not many others.

He was a lineman. This does not make him a great athlete.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Listening to a LAW podcast yesterday and they were talking about the Rockers/Hart Foundation title change match where the top rope broke and it didn't make air. They were saying that happened because WWF prefer(red) using real ropes for the ring ropes rather than steel cable, which is what WCW was using. It sounds like the cable is less prone to breakage and that the cruisers and other guys who used top rope maneuvers vastly prefer it.

What's with WWE's hard-on for real rope?

Anyone?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

flashy_mcflash posted:

Anyone?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing it's just a Vince thing

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Lone Goat posted:

I thought he was just a road agent and did match endings, but not the actual results. I remember reading references to "1, 2, Johnny Ace!" due how many false finishes there would be in a given Nitro.

Cornette on Ace - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HljqU9qIAQY

Touches on what was being discussed, though it doesn't explain exactly what his position in WCW was.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
How come Goldberg wore those little boots when he had tiny ankles? He looked like a cartoon bulldog.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

He was a lineman. This does not make him a great athlete.

Uh, yeah they are, I'm not sure how you could claim defensive linemen are not great athletes.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Uh, yeah they are, I'm not sure how you could claim defensive linemen are not great athletes.

He wasn't good enough to hang around in the NFL for a long time. Some linemen are athletic but those are DEs. He was a DT who failed when he couldn't bull rush interior linemen who were as strong as he was.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

He wasn't good enough to hang around in the NFL for a long time. Some linemen are athletic but those are DEs. He was a DT who failed when he couldn't bull rush interior linemen who were as strong as he was.

Simply getting into the league and staying in it for three years until injury ended his career still puts him way past most people in the country/world, and certainly above nearly every pro wrestler. Outside of some spectacular busts (Skittles), most guys who manage to play would count as amazing athletes.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Simply getting into the league and staying in it for three years until injury ended his career still puts him way past most people in the country/world, and certainly above nearly every pro wrestler. Outside of some spectacular busts (Skittles), most guys who manage to play would count as amazing athletes.

Noted superior athletes:
Tony Siragusa
Gilbert Brown
Aaron Gibson
Kelly Gregg

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Moose Bigelow posted:

I looked up Goldbergs NFL career because I never really read anything about it and ...

quote:

Goldberg's NFL career ended when he tore his lower abdomen off his pelvis.

:staredog:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

The average career span of an NFL player is three seasons. Not being the best in the league doesn't make you unathletic, sorry.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The average career span of an NFL player is three seasons. Not being the best in the league doesn't make you unathletic, sorry.

Being a champion in a fake sport and an average NFL player doesn't make you athletic either.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

Noted superior athletes:
Tony Siragusa
Gilbert Brown
Aaron Gibson
Kelly Gregg

Compared to average people, hell yes they are. Plus goldberg was like 285, which is very different then Tony Siragusa's 350lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2i28MU8-lcw#t=38s

Here is Rich Eisen getting destroyed by Terrance Cody in the 40.

Moose Bigelow posted:

Being a champion in a fake sport and an average NFL player doesn't make you athletic either.

Yes, being an average NFL player does make you very, extremely athletic, in every way.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Anyone?
I heard something about it being easier to run the ropes on real ropes at the expensive of top rope moves being harder and having less bounce.

Made sense to me given the WWE style.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Does WWE own the USWA tape library now too or do they have some sort of deal worked out where they get stuff on loan or something? I don't remember hearing anything about that. They are showing a Austin/Dundee 1990 match this month on Classics so that's what got me wondering.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Defensive linemen are the most athletic players on the field, if Madden 12 commentary is anything to go by. But seriously, Goldberg was a 4-3 DTackle, meaning he was extremely athletic. 3-4 DTackles are more likely to be big fat plugs, although they're still more athletic than you or I'll ever be.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bearnt! posted:

Does WWE own the USWA tape library now too or do they have some sort of deal worked out where they get stuff on loan or something? I don't remember hearing anything about that. They are showing a Austin/Dundee 1990 match this month on Classics so that's what got me wondering.

Memphis' tape situation is such a ridiculous clusterfuck that I doubt WWE will ever own any substantial part of it. I know Lawler's got a bunch of master tapes, but he doesn't have broadcast rights for them, so maybe they worked out a deal with whoever had the rights to that time period, then used a tape Lawler had?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

tzirean posted:

Memphis' tape situation is such a ridiculous clusterfuck that I doubt WWE will ever own any substantial part of it. I know Lawler's got a bunch of master tapes, but he doesn't have broadcast rights for them, so maybe they worked out a deal with whoever had the rights to that time period, then used a tape Lawler had?

I thought it was Jerry Jarrett. Vince has a good relationship with Jerry even if he doesn't like Jeff.

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered
I think I've read a few times that current and former WWE/world champs get first class airfare. Is that really true? If so, does Dolph Ziggler get that too? They refereed to him as a former world champ on Smackdown or something recently even though he had the belt for a few minutes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Current maybe, but former? Unless they're still in the main event picture why would they do that? I doubt Ziggler and Swagger are getting that.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I was under the impression that WWE wrestlers arranged and paid for their own travel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DannoMack posted:

I was under the impression that WWE wrestlers arranged and paid for their own travel?

The tippy-top guys can get some perks like that. I think only Taker, Triple H, Orton, Cena and Punk rate the top tier travel perks right now.