Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Yeah. All the streams are archived. Under the stream window there's a Videos tab where the archives are.

edit for new page: WNF tonight around 9PM Pacific (~30 minutes from this post) at https://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive and Skullgirls will be shown on stream with developers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
My team in Skullgirls is going to be Big Band/Panzerfaust/TJ Maximum

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

iPodschun posted:

Skullgirls will be shown on stream with developers

Maybe they will finally say if the game is going to come to PC or not. I need to finalize my suicide notes with facts.

[I am not really going to kill myself, I'm just going to be hella sad if it doesn't make it on PC]

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dizz posted:

Maybe they will finally say if the game is going to come to PC or not. I need to finalize my suicide notes with facts.
They confirmed a PC release months ago...

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Broken Loose posted:

My team in Skullgirls is going to be Big Band/Panzerfaust/TJ Maximum

hmm yase chainsaw motorcycle dinosaur unicorn monkey cheese lol!!! please send the skullgirl devs my goon regards (goongards!!!)!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
The motorcycle should have lady gaga's head.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

The motorcycle should have lady gaga's head.

loving signed.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G6z4xV1kTA&feature=feedu

e: Hey JMcrofts, do you know the names of any of the Skullgirls voice actors? Because I would never have noticed this but my girlfriend just pointed out to me that Peacock sounds an awful lot like Haruko from FLCL. I know Cerebella is also Noel from Blazblue and a bunch of other stuff so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the same actress.

Sade fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 27, 2011

soonmide
Sep 10, 2006

Sade posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G6z4xV1kTA&feature=feedu

e: Hey JMcrofts, do you know the names of any of the Skullgirls voice actors? Because I would never have noticed this but my girlfriend just pointed out to me that Peacock sounds an awful lot like Haruko from FLCL. I know Cerebella is also Noel from Blazblue and a bunch of other stuff so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the same actress.

All the characters we've heard the voice of so far have their voice actor listed under their name on the Characters part of their home page.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Cat Machine posted:

They confirmed a PC release months ago...

This was told to me before but All I heard from it was that the dev version was on PC and that there was no confirmation that it would still be on PC.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

soonmide posted:

All the characters we've heard the voice of so far have their voice actor listed under their name on the Characters part of their home page.

technically not all yet - MF's voice as shown off at WNF last night and her VA's not up.

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

Zaa Boogie posted:

Nope. Always been a pretzel. Even when he showed up in CvS.

Actually, Raising Storm had a different motion in Real Bout 2, a F HCF motion, which is a bit more fluid and in the style of other SNK motions.

That game also used a "simple" 360 motion for super throws like Geese's and Yamazaki's, which are regular special motions in other games.
It was kinda funny to see how that carried over into the NGPC SvC, where you had Geese's 360 super throw, Rashomon, side-by-side with Zangief's Final Atomic Buster still using a 720.

Speaking of the NGPC, I managed to get my hands on one recently, and its directional joystick stub button bpractically had sex with my thumb from how awesome it felt - has no company released a joypad that uses that design?

The closest I've found was this, based on a comment here - has anyone tried that?

Joypad-wise, a SRK.com thread mentions the Hori Commander 3 Pro iirc. I wonder which of the 2 would work out the best (I'm not really a joystick guy, and the cost of importing a good one sounds too much for the sake of experimentation).

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

South Town guy posted:

Actually, Raising Storm had a different motion in Real Bout 2, a F HCF motion, which is a bit more fluid and in the style of other SNK motions.

Huh. I hadn't played Real Bout in forever. So that's the only game it was different, huh?

South Town guy posted:

It was kinda funny to see how that carried over into the NGPC SvC, where you had Geese's 360 super throw, Rashomon, side-by-side with Zangief's Final Atomic Buster still using a 720.

Speaking of the NGPC, I managed to get my hands on one recently, and its directional joystick stub button bpractically had sex with my thumb from how awesome it felt - has no company released a joypad that uses that design?

Fellow NGPC brother! Yeah, that thumbstick was the poo poo. Only latest thing that had something that felt similar was PDP's Fightpad.

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

Zaa Boogie posted:

Huh. I hadn't played Real Bout in forever. So that's the only game it was different, huh?

AFAIK yep, all others go for the pretzel.

I rather liked RB2's take on controls - it followed some of the things previous RB games did to make the games easier to get into (A->B->C combos for everyone), but you still had classic motions.

But where it could be helpful without dumbing down controls completely, they took a precise approch on what compleity factors to trim: regular supers (low life or full power bar, iirc) all used 2 buttons to be activated, but the Potential powers (low life _and_ full power bar) only used one, since given the circumstances you'd be unlikely to get another shot at them - you got a little leniency, but still had to make sure you landed that thing, and some of the supers weren't exactly typical (I never really researched much on some like Duck King's, for example, which involved a little dance and probably special properties).

This is likely a tainted opinion from me not being much of a grappler player, but 360s as supers just seemed more reasonable for me, as a motion like that makes it easy to fail it spectacularly and getting completely wrecked trying it.

This brings to mind this book that was released a few years ago on the history of Street Fighter, which sort of helped to put things in perspective for me.
IIRC, it mentioned how back when SF1 (now there's a game with an execution barrier...) was being developed, shooters were all the rage, and special moves were developed as a sort of equivalent to bombs in the shooters - in the latter, the bombs were very powerful moves, but they were limited by giving the player only a discrete amount of them during a level, with the occasional chance at restocking, and since the concept didn't translate as well to fighting (ammo doesn't really apply by default), they use special (then secret) motions to trigger them, making them as hard as they were powerful.

That was sort of fine when you only have one character and about 3 motions/moves that are fairly different, but with more characters there's a lot more room for variation, and I'd say by the time SF2 came around, Zangief certainly had the biggest (damage!), hardest (get really close without getting smacked _and_ perform a motion that'll likely cause you to jump if you miss) "bomb" of the bunch, such that most of his game seemed to revolve around landing it (and to a certain point, avoiding his opponents' major ones like projectiles).

Art of Fighting later came up with power bars and supers to add another couple of layers to this dynamic, maybe helping to deemphasize the importance of focusing on specials, but none of the developments in the genre made the 360 necessarily any simpler for a beginner to land on someone trying to hit him, so I liked RB2's approach of not going beyond it, while retaining a fair amount of complexity in the way a lot of other moves worked, not all necessarily tied to sheer execution.

quote:

Fellow NGPC brother! Yeah, that thumbstick was the poo poo. Only latest thing that had something that felt similar was PDP's Fightpad.

I can't find that specific name in their site, I take it you mean the Versus?

For lack of a NeoGeo pad for the PS3, which seems to be sold out everywhere...

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Dragonball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi is actually not bad at all. There's less emphasis on the little things like feints, super spamming, and infinites and more on the bigger things like 'are you going to engage in this beam battle or try to swat it away' and when to start powering up. Mindgames and metagames. Its also extremely easy to get into. Rock Paper Scissors: The Video Game. I always did feel the previously DBZ fighting games were too complicated for how simple the DBZ fights were on the show.

If you just want to chill out with a beer or plant of your choice and get into colorful, explodey DBZ battles with minimal effort or learning curve, gently caress It, DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi is a good game for that purpose. If anything, it was a good change of pace from months of nothing but Third Strike.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
New Skullgirls Friday Night Fights is live:

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/10/28/skullgirls-friday-night-fights-the-short-skirt-war

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

AXE COP posted:

New Skullgirls Friday Night Fights is live:

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/10/28/skullgirls-friday-night-fights-the-short-skirt-war

LOL at the pewpew sound effect at 0:48.

I wish the Friday Night Fights were longer. 1:21 is too dang short. Also, I'd like to see a team overpower a single character using assists and mixups, even if it's staged.

Keep up the good work devs!

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

LOL at the pewpew sound effect at 0:48.

I wish the Friday Night Fights were longer. 1:21 is too dang short. Also, I'd like to see a team overpower a single character using assists and mixups, even if it's staged.

Keep up the good work devs!

Last weeks was 4 minutes and change.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
In case anybody missed it. Here is the Skull Girls Move Primer (posted by Sony): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdQyFroig4

The pewpew sound effect I was talking about is apparently the infinite prevention system.

E: VVVVVV Yes, it's the same video. No idea why the one I posted was made private.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 29, 2011

Dweller
Sep 6, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

In case anybody missed it. Here is the Skull Girls Move Primer (posted by Sony): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdQyFroig4

The pewpew sound effect I was talking about is apparently the infinite prevention system.

Says it's private to me. Is this the same one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT88QzNycgA?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Not gonna lie, I'm kind of worried about Skullgirls. I'm worried that people won't like it because it's not super flashy, and it's not something with Street Fighter/Tekken/KoF characters in it, and it's not easy. Not that I want the game to be any of those things, but I've got a bad feeling that it's gonna be another Psychonauts or Bloody Good Time and die because nobody plays it. Especially because of a lot of people's first reactions are "wow, this looks kind of lame."

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

PalmTreeFun posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of worried about Skullgirls. I'm worried that people won't like it because it's not super flashy, and it's not something with Street Fighter/Tekken/KoF characters in it, and it's not easy. Not that I want the game to be any of those things, but I've got a bad feeling that it's gonna be another Psychonauts or Bloody Good Time and die because nobody plays it. Especially because of a lot of people's first reactions are "wow, this looks kind of lame."

It has a far smaller budget than like MK9 or SF4. It doesn't have to set the world on fire in sales to do well.

And the popular reception might not totally dictate if the tournament scene likes it- MK9 is crazy popular but the tournament scene for it has really struggled.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Skullgirls looks great and I'll be buying it first-day but to be honest I can't see any characters so far that match my playstyle. Given my choices, I'd use Peacock because of her design but I don't think I'd do very well with her.

It's the same problem with BlazBlue–I did okay with Hazama until his movement and easy BnBs got buffed, at which point I half-heartedly switched to Tao.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Skullgirls will be lucky if it manages to sell a fifth of the amount of copies as SF or MvC or whatever - it's a digital-only game, it's an original IP by an indie team, the art style is divisive, it's already cultivating a reputation as a niche hardcore game, and there's no single-player fluff - but I don't think that was ever the point.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Actually, the game will have an extensive story mode and has many features designed to cater to players who are new to fighters such as the tutorial and 360 detection.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
I just got my eightarc fusion stick in. This thing is beautiful. Nice weight to it. The felt bottom keeps it from sliding around on my lap, it being dual modded is also a big plus as well. Worked perfectly on both consoles and PC. Totally worth the $200.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What I meant was, there's nothing to grind for and no other meta crap thrown in for people to "beat" without ever actually learning anything.

RE: the tutorial, I don't doubt that it's gonna be deep and informative and easy to grasp, but perception is everything, so the sort of people who'd buy Marvel or MK on a whim aren't gonna buy Skullgirls because so much of the pre-release hype is about how it plays and how the systems work, so they're just gonna assume it's unapproachable and not even bother with it. You see the same thing with GG or VF or even MvC2 - people who haven't even played the games decide they're ridiculously complex or broken or whatever and eventually the echo chamber becomes impenetrable and scares everyone off.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I don't think anyone is expecting Skullgirls to set sales records on fire here. It ending up like Psychonauts would honestly be the best you could realistically expect, in that people deep into the scene and interested in that genre still talk about it and bring it up years after it first came out.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

40 OZ posted:

It has a far smaller budget than like MK9 or SF4. It doesn't have to set the world on fire in sales to do well.

And the popular reception might not totally dictate if the tournament scene likes it- MK9 is crazy popular but the tournament scene for it has really struggled.

The MK9 tournament scene has not struggled at all, its attendances at majors relative to the attendances for other games have been increasing since Evo, where it already made a strong showing (500 people, most popular game after AE and MvC3). Why do people think this? Just because it isn't on streams?

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 29, 2011

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
So apparently that Koihime Musou fighter came out some time ago. From watching like 2 videos, it's all poking and footies and mostly not even having combos off any kind of normal hit, UNTIL you get counter hit by specific moves/normals/a universal counter move? and you get a crumple stun you can use to combo into ground bounces/wallbounces/supers for like 60%

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
I kinda wish Skull Girls' character designs weren't so gruesome. The artist probably has a self-mutilation fetish or something.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Anyone going to the Tallahassee tournament today? I'll be in AE and maybe 3s.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Fishmonkey posted:

I kinda wish Skull Girls' character designs weren't so gruesome. The artist probably has a self-mutilation fetish or something.

I actually like the crazy animations. It reminds me of Darkstalkers but without splitting in half or googly eyed Morrigan.

The only gruesome one is Ms. Fortune, and she is just comically mutilated. But hey, at least there is no fat man pube in this game (yet?).

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Any euro goon know where I can get a 360 fightpad for non-retarded prices?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Gamest Mook posted:

The MK9 tournament scene has not struggled at all, its attendances at majors relative to the attendances for other games have been increasing since Evo, where it already made a strong showing (500 people, most popular game after AE and MvC3). Why do people think this? Just because it isn't on streams?

If you had asked me, I would have thought it was struggling just because of that one random Avoid the Puddle contest where they basically bitched about the tournament scene for an hour or so. Obviously not scientific or anything, but if you're not really involved in one of the major scenes, it's hard to get a bead on these things. Of course, I probably wouldn't volunteer information about the scene. :shobon:

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Boxman posted:

If you had asked me, I would have thought it was struggling just because of that one random Avoid the Puddle contest where they basically bitched about the tournament scene for an hour or so. Obviously not scientific or anything, but if you're not really involved in one of the major scenes, it's hard to get a bead on these things. Of course, I probably wouldn't volunteer information about the scene. :shobon:

MK has probably the whiniest player base of any game for some reason.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gamest Mook posted:

MK has probably the whiniest player base of any game for some reason.

smash bros

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
super turbo (this is solely because DSP plays super turbo)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nerokerubina posted:

super turbo (this is solely because DSP plays super turbo)

Super Turbo has some retarded poo poo, but if you are counting Capcom games, anything made after 3rd Strike, where Capcom actually listens to it's fans should count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Fishmonkey posted:

Ms. Fortune is the only one who's even a little bit gruesome? There's like no blood in the game at all besides her. And her whole schtick is that she's a zombie catgirl with detachable body parts. I think it's a little egregious to jump straight from "made a zombie catgirl character with detachable body parts for an indie fighting game" to "the artist probably jacks off to intestines 14 times a day."

• Locked thread