Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Polsy posted:

That problem sounds strangely familiar and I think the problem ended up being this. In less words: go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList, flip through the keys and delete any which appear to have ProfileImagePaths referring to users that don't exist any more. And/or compare against your 64-bit ones.
Thanks, I'll try that out.

Edit: Yes, that was it, I deleted the key for a user that I deleted and it's working now. I would have never figured that out because it makes no sense. Sysprep should clear out the keys for accounts that no longer exist, not fail if you run anything during the specialize phase.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This isn't really something broken, so this is probably a better place to ask than the tech support subforum. I have one folder on a non system drive that takes forever to Sort whenever I open it, or back up to it from a subfolder (Which is the main source of the annoyance.)

All the other folders on the drive are just about instant, and there are several larger. Anyone know what might be causing the issue?

It's all videos if that makes a difference (Though other drives that are also all videos don't have the problem), it's the drive I use to stream to my PS3 and stuff.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 2, 2011

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Aphrodite posted:

All the other folders on the drive are just about instant, and there are several larger. Anyone know what might be causing the issue?

It's all videos if that makes a difference (Though other drives that are also all videos don't have the problem), it's the drive I use to stream to my PS3 and stuff.
I have the same drat thing, so it's not just you. And I haven't really bothered to try to fix it (since Mediaportal is 99% of the way I look at that folder, and it doesn't happen in that)

Edit: Well, that was easy. Right click on the offending folder, properties, customize, "Optimize this folder for: General Items". No more delay.

Armourking fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 2, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This was briefly mentioned on page 351, but I'm hoping someone can expand on it.

What's the best way to move a hard disk with a working Windows 7 installation to a new computer (i.e. new mobo, CPU, video card).

I'd really like to avoid re-installing programs/settings/etc. if possible. I have no problem reinstalling drivers.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
You just have to move the hard drive to the new computer, I did this when I got my computer and it worked, you'll just need to install any drivers 7 can't install. You can move the drive all you want and you won't run into any problems.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 2, 2011

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This was briefly mentioned on page 351, but I'm hoping someone can expand on it.

What's the best way to move a hard disk with a working Windows 7 installation to a new computer (i.e. new mobo, CPU, video card).

I'd really like to avoid re-installing programs/settings/etc. if possible. I have no problem reinstalling drivers.
Should be fine just to plop it in. The only exception is if the source doesn't have AHCI switched on, and the destination does ( which it should). In this case, windows will blue screen on boot. Easiest thing in this case is to edit a reg entry before you shutdown on the old system for the last time.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone know a good Windows Explorer replacement program that won't sort folders on top of files?

I have a lot of files that I need to sort through eventually, and a lot of them are in needless folders. If I could find a way to have the folders sort along with the files, it will help me find duplicates/similar files much easier and such.

All of the Windows explorer replacements that I have found so far just copy the default windows sort style of just sorting folders first, then files underneath.

Edit - Oops, Xplorer2 has an option to do exactly what I wanted. "Sort Folders as Files" is apparently the proper term.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 3, 2011

Spybreak
Mar 22, 2005

Handle with care
Is there any Windows Twitter client that works similar to the official client for Mac? I don't like the tweetdeck-like 3 column view, I'd rather have a single column with "tabs" on the side or top that will notify me with new mentions and I can then switch to that section.

Also I hate web-based and adobe air clients, but I guess I can deal with one if it does what I need to.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I'm trying to remember the name of a piece of software. It was an automatic driver installer and updater that wasn't a total piece of poo poo and actually worked. It had a very simple interface and basically was hands off after first run.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

El Generico posted:

It was an automatic driver installer and updater that wasn't a total piece of poo poo and actually worked.

That was a fever dream. There really is no such thing.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

AlexDeGruven posted:

That was a fever dream. There really is no such thing.

I swear to God this happened to me. I don't think it had driver in the name.

EDIT: It was called "DriverPack Solution".

El Generico fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 3, 2011

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Windows update :v:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Sorry to doublepost, but I could use a hand. I'm reinstalling Vista for an exchange student, and it turns out that her product key specifies the Simplified Chinese language pack. I've got an English-only installer, so if I enter the product key, Windows bluescreens on reboot with stop code 0x12A because it can't find the language pack it's looking for. Additional language packs can only be installed on Enterprise and Ultimate, but this is Home Premium.

The only remaining option I can see is to find a Chinese copy of the Vista installer, but I haven't had much luck finding one. Anyone know where I can find a legit ISO?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Just now I decided to turn on the "games" top level start menu folder (that is over on the right on the transparent part) but now I am wondering, is the content of that not just reflecting the content of the games start menu folder? The two don't match, there's one icon for a game I uninstalled long long ago, and a few other inconsistencies.

Also there's no rename or remove/delete commands available when you right click on something in there.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just now I decided to turn on the "games" top level start menu folder (that is over on the right on the transparent part) but now I am wondering, is the content of that not just reflecting the content of the games start menu folder? The two don't match, there's one icon for a game I uninstalled long long ago, and a few other inconsistencies.

Also there's no rename or remove/delete commands available when you right click on something in there.

It's a list view of what's in one of a very few things Microsoft hosed up coming from Vista*.

*Games Explorer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It's a list view of what's in one of a very few things Microsoft hosed up coming from Vista*.

*Games Explorer.
Well, it's some kind of a hosed up weird little thing, that's for sure. I can't even get some game icons to copy into there at all, it momentarily says "unspecified" and then gets rid of them. I guess I will just give up.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Toast Museum posted:

Sorry to doublepost, but I could use a hand. I'm reinstalling Vista for an exchange student, and it turns out that her product key specifies the Simplified Chinese language pack. I've got an English-only installer, so if I enter the product key, Windows bluescreens on reboot with stop code 0x12A because it can't find the language pack it's looking for. Additional language packs can only be installed on Enterprise and Ultimate, but this is Home Premium.

The only remaining option I can see is to find a Chinese copy of the Vista installer, but I haven't had much luck finding one. Anyone know where I can find a legit ISO?

pm sent

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Spybreak posted:

Is there any Windows Twitter client that works similar to the official client for Mac? I don't like the tweetdeck-like 3 column view, I'd rather have a single column with "tabs" on the side or top that will notify me with new mentions and I can then switch to that section.

Also I hate web-based and adobe air clients, but I guess I can deal with one if it does what I need to.

http://destroytwitter.com/

It's AIR, but it's not horrible.

Spybreak
Mar 22, 2005

Handle with care

c0burn posted:

http://destroytwitter.com/

It's AIR, but it's not horrible.

Thanks, I actually found it just after posting before. The only problem is that DMs are hosed in the current version, but other than that it's exactly what I was looking for.

nbzl
Apr 5, 2002

Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.
What's a good program to record a live video stream?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Here is my problem: on my old Thinkpad, it had a LED that flashed to let you know something was downloading, say like Hulu or something else. My new laptop doesn't have that. Windows XP had that little icon in the corner, the 2 monitors connected and they would light up. WHat can I do to emulate that function in Windows 7.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

b0nes posted:

Here is my problem: on my old Thinkpad, it had a LED that flashed to let you know something was downloading, say like Hulu or something else. My new laptop doesn't have that. Windows XP had that little icon in the corner, the 2 monitors connected and they would light up. WHat can I do to emulate that function in Windows 7.

If you google 'network activity icon' there's a bunch of freeware that will give you an icon like that. This one looks more in-depth (apparently it does what you want too, says someone on a forum) so maybe you'll have use for the extra crap

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

LooseChanj posted:

Does that work yet? I tried it a couple years ago and windows would forget that setting at least once a day.

It does seem to require at least Windows 7, or Windows Vista with Service Pack 2.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Jyrraeth posted:

Tried it already. Alas, I get one desktop activation and one laptop activation.

EDIT: Okay somehow it didn't work last time. Whatever! It works now. Either I'm bad at computers or I'm just bad at typing in activation keys.

Microsoft after times bumps MAKs up another activation if you don't activate over and over in case you get a new machine. Otherwise you just call them and say you got a new machine and they manually activate it.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
I have a question.
Is there anyway to remove the 100MB reserved space that Windows 7 Has made? It's kind of annoying or is it something I must have since I have an SSD?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Simple Simon posted:

I have a question.
Is there anyway to remove the 100MB reserved space that Windows 7 Has made? It's kind of annoying or is it something I must have since I have an SSD?

You can prevent it from being made during install but I don't think you can remove it post-install.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 8, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Armourking posted:

Should be fine just to plop it in. The only exception is if the source doesn't have AHCI switched on, and the destination does ( which it should). In this case, windows will blue screen on boot. Easiest thing in this case is to edit a reg entry before you shutdown on the old system for the last time.

Nah, I don't even run into this problem with Windows 7 any more.
I changed a laptop from IDE to AHCI, and Windows 7 booted as normal. It simply told me to restart after, as if it detected new hardware. It was pleasing.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone have recommendations for video conversion software that can do some basic editing? It doesn't matter if it is paid, as I can write it off as an expense.

Some nice things would be:

-CUDA/multiple processor support
-able to deal with multiple formats such as mov, avi, mkw, etc
-ability to do some light editing such as rotating

I'm sick of dealing with MOV files from my iPhone, such as having the rotation pain in the rear end unless it's in QuickTime.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Roving Reporter posted:

Anyone have recommendations for video conversion software that can do some basic editing? It doesn't matter if it is paid, as I can write it off as an expense.

Some nice things would be:

-CUDA/multiple processor support
-able to deal with multiple formats such as mov, avi, mkw, etc
-ability to do some light editing such as rotating

I'm sick of dealing with MOV files from my iPhone, such as having the rotation pain in the rear end unless it's in QuickTime.

Lightworks is open source, so that may be worth checking (I haven't checked it myself) http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

HalloKitty posted:

Nah, I don't even run into this problem with Windows 7 any more.
I changed a laptop from IDE to AHCI, and Windows 7 booted as normal. It simply told me to restart after, as if it detected new hardware. It was pleasing.
About a month ago, my brother switched motherboards, and it blue screened. It may have been in your case that because it was the same hardware / driver it worked ok.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Crossposting from the monitor thread: Do you have any interesting yet non-obvious tricks to share about dual-monitoring on Windows, in addition to using stuff like UltraMon to handle the taskbar?

The holy grail would be a way to toggle cursor locking during full-screen games and be able to quickly answer Skype or whatnot on the second monitor even if the full-screen program refuses to minimise gracefully, but my Googling suggests this sadly just isn't possible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Windows 7 question that I keep forgetting to ask:

I've found that more than a handful of folders I regularly use aren't sorted by modified like I'd like, and every time I need to tell it that Date Modified should be a criteria. Is there any way to tell the OS that every single folder that I ever have should have Date Modified as one of the default Sorting Methods?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e- ignore this I've fixed it.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 9, 2011

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Ive got a question about transferring files.

After a long time I've managed to finally scrape the money together for a new machine, the components arrive later today. This new machine will be running windows 7 on a new hard drive.

I have a problem in that my internet connection isnt that great and re-downloading multiple gigabytes of student license software will take days at best.

Can I just take out this hard drive (XP, Sata) and plug and play with the new pc to transfer my files easily across? :/

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Question: I like using Windows Media Player the most for playing all my videos, it just looks more elegant to me than VLC, however when I use WMP to play videos on my external hard drive if it's already spun down from inactivity, any time I start a paused video the picture goes really fast and I have to pause it, then move the video forward 5 minutes in time, then back 5 minutes in time, then back to the original time to get the video playing right.

VLC doesn't do this, instead it'll just stutter for a few seconds and play the video normally after that. But I don't like the way VLC looks compared to WMP.

So my question is: Can I fix WMP to do what VLC does? Change a setting or something to cause the video to buffer while the hard drive is spinning up or something? I've tried using VLC skins that make it look like WMP but they're terrible.

298298 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 9, 2011

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Anyone know a good video converter to change an sfw file to flv?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Zero Gravitas posted:

Ive got a question about transferring files.

After a long time I've managed to finally scrape the money together for a new machine, the components arrive later today. This new machine will be running windows 7 on a new hard drive.

I have a problem in that my internet connection isnt that great and re-downloading multiple gigabytes of student license software will take days at best.

Can I just take out this hard drive (XP, Sata) and plug and play with the new pc to transfer my files easily across? :/

It sounds like your student software might be MSDNAA? If so, you can order a dvd copy for really cheap and not worry about downloading a copy of Windows.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I have been given a project at work to go through each entry of our dilapidated joke of a database and print each entry. The database entries are all accessible through a url ending in Detail.php?id=46, id 46-140. Each entry must be scaled down to fit on one sheet for print.

So far I’ve been painstakingly going through each entry one by one, page previewing, scaling down the print job, then printing. It’s a pain in the buttox.

If I was smart, I'd be able to use wget somehow, but I dont know how. If there any application that could help me with this workflow?

edit: Seems to be one of those things ya just gotta do yourself. Oh well :)

decypher fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 9, 2011

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

This seems like a too-simple question, but what's a good IRC client to use nowerdays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Fearian posted:

This seems like a too-simple question, but what's a good IRC client to use nowerdays?

Still mIRC after all these years.