Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Ligur posted:

Joe Lauzon comes to mind as someone who's just trained in "MMA" to begin with. For the twig and nerd he is, good results.

I think you're thinking of guys like Rory MacDonald (the child who beat up Nate Diaz) who have literally done MMA the whole time. What I know some MMA gyms do to make this work is that certain days/time periods will train different stuff, i.e. Tuesdays from 6-8 are BJJ, Mondays are kickboxing from 5-7, wrestling from 7-9, etc., with a few sessions of fight training (actual MMA) to round out the curriculum for actual fighters. It seems to work most places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

the yellow dart posted:

I think you're thinking of guys like Rory MacDonald (the child who beat up Nate Diaz) who have literally done MMA the whole time. What I know some MMA gyms do to make this work is that certain days/time periods will train different stuff, i.e. Tuesdays from 6-8 are BJJ, Mondays are kickboxing from 5-7, wrestling from 7-9, etc., with a few sessions of fight training (actual MMA) to round out the curriculum for actual fighters. It seems to work most places.

my friend is an MMA fighter (just turned Pro) and that is basically what he does.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The gym I went to last night works the same way. They usually have some form of grappling and striking each night with a specific MMA class during the week.

I ended up signing up. Good atmosphere, no nonsense coach/owner.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
The club I go to had MMA course for a few years, same thing. You'd have MMA striking Tuesday, MMA BJJ Thursday and so on.

For example I'm hoping the striking wasn't simply basic boxing though, since the stance is no good etc.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
The gym I signed up for has dedicated Muay Thai and BJJ classes every day, with bridge classes like "MMA" or "takedowns" once or twice a week. Those classes are meant for the students that are already proficient in MT and BJJ, but you also end up with kids signing up, and just showing up for the MMA classes once a week, thinking that they're going to end up in the UFC.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

That's why it's an introductory class. The teacher has no pretension of turning us into mixed martial artists. We mainly do kickboxing drills and miscellaneous ground techniques each class. Last one we did some Greco-Roman wrestling basic throws.

I have no intention of "learning MMA" for real. This is a class I'm taking to complement my capoeira; I want something contact-heavy to round out my skill set and improve my combat mentality. Maybe I'm paranoid and there's not much else you can do with two hours a week, but it sort of bothers me that I've learned the basic strikes and groundwork from improvising.

Thats good then :) It is kind of a pet peeve of mine, as where I spend last year, there were mostly places teaching 'MMA' for grappling and I spend all my time explaining to them what mount is because I didn't want some wild n00b to swing for my face too much so --> sweep to mount. Sit. Explain shrimping/briding. Then watch as they try to force their way through. Repeat with next guy.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Oh man the MMA session last night was rough, we've had an influx of wrestlers lately, had to go against a ~185lber (I'm ~155) who thought the solution to every position was to knuckle or elbow crossface. Guy left me with absolutely destroyed, blood-filled ears and a split lip, not to mention kicking me in the nuts twice and kneeing them once, but never actually finished a sub. I spent my whole time basically just trying to stay loose, working on my dragonwhip and turning in to take top half guard when he'd try to RNC me (without getting his hooks in, just grabbing me by the neck and swinging me around. I'm pretty sore today but to be honest I'm very proud of myself for not cranking any of the numerous heel hooks he refused to tap to and just flowing without getting ego about it.

I'm finding it interesting that I've almost completely stopped going for deep over/underhooks while rolling- I just use my arms to defend choke attempts and post when necessary. I'm not sure when this change happened (as a judoka I definitely appreciate the power of a good over/under), and I'm not really sure how to get my arms more active again. Maybe I just need to do more rock climbing so I get more confidence in my arm strength.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I used to glaze over the judo discussion in here.

Then I did some BJJ against a judo black belt and got thrown into next month.

I think I might pick up a day of judo every week.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I got punched in the face today. Often :love:

Carry on!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Oh man the MMA session last night was rough, we've had an influx of wrestlers lately, had to go against a ~185lber (I'm ~155) who thought the solution to every position was to knuckle or elbow crossface. Guy left me with absolutely destroyed, blood-filled ears and a split lip, not to mention kicking me in the nuts twice and kneeing them once, but never actually finished a sub. I spent my whole time basically just trying to stay loose, working on my dragonwhip and turning in to take top half guard when he'd try to RNC me (without getting his hooks in, just grabbing me by the neck and swinging me around. I'm pretty sore today but to be honest I'm very proud of myself for not cranking any of the numerous heel hooks he refused to tap to and just flowing without getting ego about it.

This. I went to my school's MMA club once, and never again. One guy got super duper excited about an armbar, cranked the poo poo out of it, and nearly broke my loving arm in half, after I let him out of a couple of subs. It seems like guys who are not exposed to a TMA setting (And I include just BJJ as a TMA) often lack a good attitude about rolling and sparring (This is an INCREDIBLY VAGUE GENERALIZATION, mostly just sympathizing with RR).

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I used to go easy on new guys, but in their wild spasming they occasionally punch my face accidentally or something. I still try to roll calmly, but I also sub them a hundred times and don't let them out of things.

Especially with the new kid who thinks he's going to be in the UFC: It's a danger to you to be too lenient on them, and you should also take it upon yourself to show them how good BJJ is. When I was new I remember being awed by how good the blue belts were, and how relaxed they seemed about the whole thing.

Obviously once they start to relax I play around a bit. Or if they're that rare person who has a good calm attitude to it right from the start.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Last night at BJJ class, I tapped a 15 year old who I outweigh by 50+ lbs by kneeling on his balls. BBJ rules.

mewse
May 2, 2006

what is wrong with you people

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I think I have to begin all training sessions with newcomers with a warning not to use fingernails. You'd think it'd be intuitive without a warning, but recently it's happened to me like three times with different people. If they're new and frantic, sooner or later, I get scratched. I can take an accidental knee or a punch, but there's something about the scratch that just stings for so longer after.

So yeah, apparently I have to begin stating explicitly... please don't use your fingernails in a grappling match. I wonder if this is widespread phenomenon. It's especially bad if you're teaching no-gi.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
It was an honest accident. I'm still green as gently caress at this, and he's a little bit more experienced (though also still a white). I was trying to pass his half guard when he unexpectedly tapped. He apologized profusely, I guess because we had to stop rolling for a bit (he's a real nice kid), and I felt terrible having crushed his balls with my fatness. We both took turns apologizing until everyone was told to switch partners.

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks
Meanwhile, on Jeopardy!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsCXTPApqAM

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Meat Recital posted:

Last night at BJJ class, I tapped a 15 year old who I outweigh by 50+ lbs by kneeling on his balls. BBJ rules.

BJJ and BBJ both rule, but for very, very different reasons.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I'm pretty sore today but to be honest I'm very proud of myself for not cranking any of the numerous heel hooks he refused to tap to and just flowing without getting ego about it.

You were heel hooking totally new people (even if they were complete assholes)?

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

Meat Recital posted:

It was an honest accident. I'm still green as gently caress at this, and he's a little bit more experienced (though also still a white). I was trying to pass his half guard when he unexpectedly tapped. He apologized profusely, I guess because we had to stop rolling for a bit (he's a real nice kid), and I felt terrible having crushed his balls with my fatness. We both took turns apologizing until everyone was told to switch partners.

Haha. Half guard is bad for that. We spent like two weeks on a series of passes in top half a month or two ago and you always had to be extremely delicate when drilling the cross knee.

And I've never had any problems with fingernails, but there is a guy that has a death-like vice grip from some kind of automotive industry work and he always grabs and pinches a handful of my forearm skin everytime he grabs my sleeves. I try to tell him to relax but it doesn't do any good, he's super tense everytime, gasses halfway through the first roll and then he leaves

also, the martial arts are starting to get expensive. I ordered my second gi (went with an atama goldweave), boxing gloves for the striking/mma classes, I'm going to my first BJJ seminar next week, and I'll need to get a set of sticks for the FMA drills. At first I skipped all the other stuff they offered and just came for manhugging, but now I really enjoy all of it

mindtwist fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 5, 2011

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
I started viet namese Kung Fu ! It was really fun, during my first session i was taught by a 12 years old kid (who was the son of the sifu or whatever the name of those grandmasters are), really nice little guy.

From what i experienced, and if others are interested, kung fu seems more about positioning, stretching, doing some move chains and focus ; it is internal and external, but i don't think it would be useful in a real fighting situation (from what i saw during this first class). So if you're looking for something that teaches you how to use your body precisely, how to stand up, how to move, how to use your energy, it's great ; but if you're looking to destroy people, i think you should look elsewhere. Might be wrong though, it's only from my newb perspective. Maybe experienced practicioners may correct me.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Crossposting this from the grappling thread, because no-one should miss it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t5g8Fuar0U

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Ugh guys who don't cut their (toe)nails should be exorcised from your gym. same thing with people who don't wash their gi/armpits. BJJ is rough enough on the skin/ears etc, I don't need to be asked why I have all these nail marks in my neck and all those little cuts from where you grabbed my ankle with your loving nails.

Why is it so hard for people to just be an adult and take care of personal hygiene?

/rant

also Destroy new guys until they relax and are capable of learning. Before then, seek and destroy their ego.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I almost never roll with absolute novices since I'm in the more advanced classes but when I do I almost never destroy or crush anyone. I tend to relax and take a inferior position and let them work. The last time I totally crushed someone was when some visiting male blue belt was being condescending to a female brown belt, I selected him to roll with then beat him like I was his abusive stepdad.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Drewjitsu posted:

You were heel hooking totally new people (even if they were complete assholes)?

He was an experienced wrestler and had a big upper body, so it seemed like a reasonable time to work my x guard and De La Riva stuff instead of trying to fight for arm bars that he was definitely strong enough to defend indefinitely. That meant GENTLY going through the "DLR>achilles lock>heel hook>knee bar>half boston crab" series from time to time as a means of getting him on his stomach so I could take his back. While those can dangerous subs, I don't really see a problem with getting into the heel hook (or whatever) position if I'm not actually applying pressure (cranking) and looking to submit, just using them as transitory control positions while I flow into something else. But I haven't been an instructor very long, so I'm open to other people's opinions on the matter. What do you think about it?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Well even if you don't crank the heel hook couldn't a new guy spaz his knee to shreds trying to turn out of it?

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

Well, while I won't pretend there's 0 risk of injury when grappling, I think he would have a very hard time hurting himself, even in that position. It's more likely that he'd just end up flipping me over, and if he were /really/ spazzing I'd just let go rather than risk injury to either of us.

The submission pressure from a heel hook occurs when you use your thighs to hold the guy's knee in place and then twist your shoulders to crank their knee and ankle, so as long as I'm keeping my core strong so my shoulders remain aligned with my hips, there's no pressure to his joints and very little danger of injury.

It's as risky as sinking an arm bar then using it as a handle to take someone's back instead of driving your hip into their elbow to submit them. Or as using 50/50 guard.

E: These things can be tough to describe well in text, but the bottom line is that I was in FAR more danger from him trying to use all his muscle strength to attempt to force half-right subs without control than he was from me using no muscle strength to flow through sub positions without trying to finish them.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 5, 2011

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I personally don't like using heel hooks when I roll, but I think intention is more important than which techniques you use. If you're going slow and controlled, than it's fair game.

If it's mma rolling than heel hooks are absolutely fair game. Your partner might bitch about the technique, but it's legal in a fight so everyone needs to train them at least to know how to escape from one.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Phrost posted:

Meanwhile, on Jeopardy!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsCXTPApqAM

You've made it. First Jeopardy, next you're a puzzle on Wheel of Fortune, next you're the center-square.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ridleys Revenge posted:

He was an experienced wrestler and had a big upper body, so it seemed like a reasonable time to work my x guard and De La Riva stuff instead of trying to fight for arm bars that he was definitely strong enough to defend indefinitely. That meant GENTLY going through the "DLR>achilles lock>heel hook>knee bar>half boston crab" series from time to time as a means of getting him on his stomach so I could take his back. While those can dangerous subs, I don't really see a problem with getting into the heel hook (or whatever) position if I'm not actually applying pressure (cranking) and looking to submit, just using them as transitory control positions while I flow into something else. But I haven't been an instructor very long, so I'm open to other people's opinions on the matter. What do you think about it?

If you're going to get into positions that would encourage good, mechanically correct heel hook positions, I would suggest it's far too risky to put them there. If your partner is total spaz (or newbie, and doesn't know how to react) and freak out, they could blow their knee out.

Save the heel hooks for the advanced dudes, why bother even doing them on white belts with that much on the line?

At the end of the day, you either take your lumps, and then not roll with him until he calms down, or you can potentially blow a dudes knee out.

Can you tell I'm paranoid about heel hooks?

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I'd say you're better off trying to work some humiliating choke subs from the bottom. However, with someone like that, you do what you gotta do.

Rather than heel hook, I'd generally try and turn over for a knee bar where there is less potential for injury. If you're just using it for control, i'd say its perfectly safe by holding with your legs and applying minimal pressure to the foot. Use it to switch to the next position, take the back, and choke them until their eyes pop out. That usually slows them down.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Have you ever considered asking someone to go lighter when you roll? Then again, I'd hate for you to have to communicate with the big stupid wrestlers ruining your nice relaxing rolling session.

Or maybe you should consider that wrestlers are taught to always roll in a certain way and accept that you need to HTFU?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Fontoyn posted:

Have you ever considered asking someone to go lighter when you roll? Then again, I'd hate for you to have to communicate with the big stupid wrestlers ruining your nice relaxing rolling session.

Or maybe you should consider that wrestlers are taught to always roll in a certain way and accept that you need to HTFU?

Rolling light is a myth

See this post here by bohemian night :

Bohemian Nights posted:

Crossposting this from the grappling thread, because no-one should miss it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t5g8Fuar0U

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hahaha just watched it now, loving hilarious

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

You've made it. First Jeopardy, next you're a puzzle on Wheel of Fortune, next you're the center-square.

I just hope I can be next to Nipsey Russel.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Two grapplers help take down a would-be armed robber:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Fighters-in-L-A-for-BJJ-tournament-stop-a-robbe?urn=mma-wp9093

What do you think guys? Should they have gotten involved? Good for them that the situation turned out ok, but to be honest, against an armed robber I don't think I would have done the same if I were in there shoes.

Also, I like how they showed restraint on not choking the guy unconscious.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Bangkero posted:

Two grapplers help take down a would-be armed robber:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Fighters-in-L-A-for-BJJ-tournament-stop-a-robbe?urn=mma-wp9093

What do you think guys? Should they have gotten involved? Good for them that the situation turned out ok, but to be honest, against an armed robber I don't think I would have done the same if I were in there shoes.

Also, I like how they showed restraint on not choking the guy unconscious.

Honestly it didn't look like it was really their decision, the clerk is the one who bearhugged him from behind and started yelling for help. At that point I think they did the right thing, but the clerk definitely didn't.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I guess that is a good example of that situation where you just can't walk away from a confrontation. At least a story like that gives a positive image instead of two guys beating a robber senseless.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Train BJJ for 3 years

Get owned by a fat guy who only knows kesa gatame.

I am tired of this loving poo poo, brb starting steroids or something

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Illegal Username posted:

Train BJJ for 3 years

Get owned by a fat guy who only knows kesa gatame.

I am tired of this loving poo poo, brb starting steroids or something

Who do you do your BJJ with? Also, crosstrain Judo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

Thanks for the advice guys, my thought on heel hooks is that if they're gonna have to deal with them eventually, I might as well introduce them to the positions as early as possible so they don't develop bad habits. But I think I'll adopt the suggestion to just practice chokes from the bottom instead, since it seems like the less controversial solution.

Fontoyn posted:

You're sensing my frustration- these wrestlers aren't stupid, but they are incredibly unwilling to employ anything they didn't learn from their highschool wrestling coach when rolling, and that makes them dangerous, because that means their view of "going light" is nowhere near what it should be. But you should probably elaborate on what you mean by HTFU- what would you have done when communication failed?

• Locked thread