Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

DannoMack posted:

Like when Miz told his chicken and JBL stories and this place went nuts, people here really love promos where guys they hate based on dirtsheet stories get called out for backstage reasons.
The best part of that was JR going on twitter to say something along the lines of "I'm sure Miz was banned from the locker room for eating chicken and not for being an rear end in a top hat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cardboard Box posted:

I can actually imagine Cole showing up randomly in Bryan's everyday life to harass him.
Then Josh Matthews says "Mr Cole, that's not wise!" as Bryan clamps a different submission hold on him each time.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LordPants posted:

I thought the Cage match came later? When Bret wrestled Sid for the title and Austin was interfering trying to help so he could beat Bret for the title, then Bret cut the "Goddamn Bullshit" promo.

Or were there two cages matches and I am confused in thinking there was only one?

There was only one. For whatever reason, people seem to have compressed a few weeks of booking into a couple of nights.

What happened was that Bret defended the title against Sid on Raw the night after the Final Four PPV, and they had Austin come out and hit Bret with a chair while he had the Sharpshooter on Sid, kicking off the Wrestlemania storyline proper for Hart/Austin. A week or so later, they set up Taker/Sid for the title at WM, and then like a week or two before WM they had the Hart/Sid rematch in a cage that had Austin helping Bret and Taker helping Sid because both wanted to go for the title.

Which led to the profanity-laden Bret promo and the start of his heel turn. Which takes us into Mania and we know what happened there.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The Cameo posted:

the Hart/Sid rematch in a cage that had Austin helping Bret and Taker helping Sid because both wanted to go for the title.
I miss this kind of booking. A whole bunch of guys going for the title and screwing each other over to get ahead. I'm not sure how they would have booked this today, other than it definitely would've involved Sid getting beat in non-title matches.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Have I raved about how awesome the promos and booking are for that angle before mania?

Shamrock standing in the ring talking about how he's going to call it down the middle, then Stone Cold appears on the Titantron and starts saying how "he's never quit in his life and he ain't gonna start at wrestlemania" and how he's got half a notion to come down to the ring and knock Shamrock on his rear end. and Shamrock is all like "I don't have my tights with me, but if you wanna come down here..." :smug: then Hitman's music plays and Stone Cold is like "Goddamn Hitman, I better knock him on his rear end too." and then Hitman cuts this whiny crybaby promo and then says Shamrock ain't got poo poo on him, because he's Bret Hart.

And then there is probably a pull apart brawl, because, y'know :russo:

But gosh that was great. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The best was that throughout the entire feud (Mania, the reformation of the Hart Foundation etc), Bret and Austin never ever backed down from each other. It didn't matter who was the heel or who was the face, both were absolutely convinced they could murder the poo poo out of each other and neither had any qualms about accepting any callouts from the other.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Probably a stupid question but in the beginning of Botchamania there's a soundbite of who I assume is Bryan Alvarez screaming "NEGATIVE FIVE STARS!" which I've heard bandied about here. What match/event is that referring to?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Probably a stupid question but in the beginning of Botchamania there's a soundbite of who I assume is Bryan Alvarez screaming "NEGATIVE FIVE STARS!" which I've heard bandied about here. What match/event is that referring to?

Isn't it "MINUS FIVE STARS!!!"?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Isn't that the TNA one involving Jenna Morasca?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Was there a particular time or reason to pinpoint when crowds started going "woooo!" after a chop?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's from the review of Victory Road 2009, specifically the Jenna Morasca/Sharmell match.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Bocc Kob posted:

Was there a particular time or reason to pinpoint when crowds started going "woooo!" after a chop?
The reason is Flair but I don't know when.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Isn't it "MINUS FIVE STARS!!!"?

You're right, and thanks for the answers everyone - I never saw that one but it's not surprising.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

You're right, and thanks for the answers everyone - I never saw that one but it's not surprising.

Whoa whoa whoa you haven't seen this match? Everyone needs to see it at least once in their life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYm7GR-_jk4

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oatgan posted:

Whoa whoa whoa you haven't seen this match? Everyone needs to see it at least once in their life

Oh my...but she....gently caress man. People paid for this?

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party

Oatgan posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Something that actually makes Kelly Kelly look good in comparison? I didn't think it was possible! :psypop:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

Sort of answered by Wojtek, it's pretty much because Ric Flair popularized chops, and it just sort of stuck. It's one of the few wrestler-specific things that the audience caught onto that I personally like. Now if I see a chop and don't hear a "whooooo!" it's just weird.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Cardboard Box posted:

Sort of answered by Wojtek, it's pretty much because Ric Flair popularized chops, and it just sort of stuck. It's one of the few wrestler-specific things that the audience caught onto that I personally like. Now if I see a chop and don't hear a "whooooo!" it's just weird.

I could have sworn it started in ECW. I may be way off, but didn't have to do with Shane Douglas' hatred of Ric Flair? He'd do the chop and the fans would "wooo!" in mockery of Flair, but then it just stuck.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Nah, it was before that. There were also large crowds in WWF and WCW doing it at the same time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Senator Giroux posted:

I could have sworn it started in ECW. I may be way off, but didn't have to do with Shane Douglas' hatred of Ric Flair? He'd do the chop and the fans would "wooo!" in mockery of Flair, but then it just stuck.

I am sure Shane Douglas thinks that he is responsible for it. He is also responsible for the low low prices at Target.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

bobkatt013 posted:

I am sure Shane Douglas thinks that he is responsible for it. He is also responsible for the low low prices at Target.

I can't believe I fell for his lies, and he still couldn't show me which aisle the Tupperware was on.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Senator Giroux posted:

I can't believe I fell for his lies, and he still couldn't show me which aisle the Tupperware was on.

"gently caress DICK FLAIR AND gently caress YOUR TUPPERWARE!"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Oh my...but she....gently caress man. People paid for this?

It's TNA so I'm sure very few people actually paid for it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oatgan posted:

It's TNA so I'm sure very few people actually paid for it.

Even one is too many. I watched that vid, what, two hours ago? And I'm still having flashbacks. It's the laced LSD of wrestling matches.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Nah, it was before that. There were also large crowds in WWF and WCW doing it at the same time.

Maybe during the Flair/Herd dispute? Or is that too early?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe during the Flair/Herd dispute? Or is that too early?

I can't say exactly when, I'm not a wrestling historian by any means. I just know they've been going on pretty much ever since Flair become a big star.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Remember you can't do chops in WWE because Vince doesn't like people WOOOOOOOing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

Remember you can't do chops in WWE because Vince doesn't like people WOOOOOOOing.

He should just get Alex Riley to do the "WOOOOOOOOOOO!" so Vince can claim it's an ode to Riley.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordPants posted:

Wow, you're right. I actually can't remember the last time I've seen a chop in WWE now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think Punk used to throw them out every now and again, but I can't remember seeing one in this calendar year. Maybe during HHH / Taker at WrestleMania, but I'm doubtful of that.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
What was the match where Ted Dibiase got hit by a full soda while giving a speech in the ring? You can see the yellow security guards rush the guy in the background it was excellent. For the record I'm pretty sure it was an old wrestlemania on VHS where I saw this about 10 years ago.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What is the state of TNA lately, ratings-wise? I have not kept up with it outside of watching it for five minutes every month or so, but I was looking at TV by the Numbers' ratings and noticed the IMPACT rating was at 0.6. I don't know what the rating posters use for the 1.1 is exactly, as in demographics, but that caught my eye. Is TNA doing worse these days?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
TNA never changes. No matter what they try or who they pull out, the ratings never shift more than .1 or so.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Same 1.0-1.2 range they've done since they moved back to Thursday.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cardboard Box posted:

Wow, you're right. I actually can't remember the last time I've seen a chop in WWE now.

I remember when this was first announced, it felt like I was seeing chops constantly with WOOs! afterwards so I didn't pay it any mind. I can't think of seeing any recently though, but I also haven't really been paying attention.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

Same 1.0-1.2 range they've done since they moved back to Thursday.

Isn't ROH drawing similar or better ratings on a smaller network? Or am I just making that up?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Isn't ROH drawing similar or better ratings on a smaller network? Or am I just making that up?

They are in some Sinclair markets according to Dave, but due to the much lower number of homes the show is in those ratings do not translate anywhere near the number of viewers TNA gets.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

MassRayPer posted:

They are in some Sinclair markets according to Dave, but due to the much lower number of homes the show is in those ratings do not translate anywhere near the number of viewers TNA gets.

And given the decreased sample size, these numbers should be taken with an even bigger grain of salt than most Nielsen ratings.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's some young child who just got into professional wrestling, but his parents didn't watch the WWE. They watch TNA. And the first big heel stable he will have ever seen was the Main Event Mafia.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

When did Mark Henry's current heel push begin? I never watch Smackdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

rotinaj posted:

There's some young child who just got into professional wrestling, but his parents didn't watch the WWE. They watch TNA. And the first big heel stable he will have ever seen was the Main Event Mafia.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Imagine all of the girls who grew up in Tennessee being told one day they'll grow up and marry Jerry Lawler, but if they hit 19 and he hasn't kissed them yet they might as well move onto a Jarrett or Rich.