Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Slime posted:

It strikes me that someone who is lawful evil is somebody who would happily abuse the law for their own gain. In fact I'd say it's part of what makes them lawful evil. Someone who is chaotic evil would ignore the law, while someone who is lawful evil would use the law to gently caress someone over while maintaining a veneer of innocence.

I think the poster meant "in 4e there is no distinction between Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil, because they were collapsed into one Evil alignment".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
NOOOOOOO NOT AN ALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Why are we pretending like the alignment system isn't a total piece of poo poo?

Neutral Good and Chaotic Good are often times the exact same thing, same goes for Neutral/Chaotic Evil. It's a crappy system that inadequately describes ethical frameworks and character motivations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Unaligned is the best alignment :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Oblivious posted:

Neutral Good and Chaotic Good are often times the exact same thing, same goes for Neutral/Chaotic Evil. It's a crappy system that inadequately describes ethical frameworks and character motivations.

You, sir, have no soul.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The only good alignment chart is the Doctor Who alignment chart :colbert:

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Cabbit posted:

No, the dude is pretty clearly dumb. He's pursuing three seconds of spitting in the face of a tyrant in favor of smiling, walking away, and using the remaining years of his life and his considerable skills to act as a saboteur or insurrectionist. Given a choice between immediate, easy but ultimately shallow gratification or a long hard road of ultimately more satisfying rebellion, he took the route that required the least amount of thought.

Dude's a moron.

So..... He's with Occupy Tarquin Square.

Eschers Basement posted:

Haley's dad is being stupid and makes me want to punch him, but that may be because reminds me way too much of someone in my gaming group who will absolutely gently caress over everything - plot, relationships, his and our chances of survival - in exchange for a chance to make a snide defiant comment to the Big Bad.

I had one of those. He was the LEADER of a new campaign we were starting.

A group of mercs being basically given a letter of marque-type assignment by the local king. The leader of the party thought he'd be all cool and bad-boy-like, and insulted the king and dissed the royal house right there in the palace court room. I think he was surprised when I had the palace guard descend on the guy and beat him to death and had his party banished as PNGs from the kingdom. It put an immediate kibosh into a long-planned campaign, but it taught them something about role-playing.

The next week, he "rejoined" the campaign as the only 1st-level player in a 3rd-and-4th-level group and no longer their leader, as they had to figure out how to get to the border now that they were friendless and had no support and no one would sell them any supplies.

Effingham fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 18, 2011

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

oops.

Effingham fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 18, 2011

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I think the poster meant "in 4e there is no distinction between Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil, because they were collapsed into one Evil alignment".

No, I meant there was never any distinction in the first place.

Alignment discussions bring nothing but misery though so I don't mind if your view varies.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

There is a reason, even though it kept the entirely vestigal alignment system, 4e rolls Chaotic Good into good, and Lawful Evil into Evil. Because there is almost no functional difference.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

There's only no functional difference between Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil if you're poo poo at playing a Lawful Evil character. Compare Tarquin to literally any other villain in the comic.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
D&D alignments actually are supposed to work as a description of your character as "does stuff that [x]-aligned deities tend to want you to do" rather than as a description of a system of morals. They just get misinterpreted as a moral descriptor a lot.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Cabbit posted:

There's only no functional difference between Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil if you're poo poo at playing a Lawful Evil character. Compare Tarquin to literally any other villain in the comic.

The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is comparing two characters that AREN'T big shots and can make up whichever laws they like.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
A Lawful Evil entity believes that established social and natural laws can be used or manipulated to suit their own selfish purposes. Laws are rarely broken by this person because that would weaken them and limit their usefulness:
Usury
Abusive administrators
Ambulance chasers
Military Juntas

A Neutral Evil entity believe that the law is beneath their own personal interests. They recognize that breaking the law is a significant risk, so they do not flaunt the law. They break the law if and only if the personal gain offsets the risk or there will be no repercussions.
Organized crime
Corrupt politicians
Most petty criminals

A Chaotic Evil entity believes that any outside regulations are an insult. They are egomaniacs, as concerned with demonstrating their own disregard for authority as they are with personal gain.
Serial killers
Arsonists
Motorcycle gangs
Teenagers

The iconic question of the alignment:
LE: "How can I exploit the system?"
NE: "Can I get away with this?"
CE: "gently caress you."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sergeant Rock posted:

NOOOOOOO NOT AN ALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Muwahahahahaha...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Neutral Evil can be all the things Tarquin is if it tickles their fancy. Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil encompass each other, in most respects, to the degree that delineation is meaningless.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Everyone shut up about alignment. New comic.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0816.html

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Oh my God I love Tarquin.

He's got like 500 sons doesn't he?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I am sad that they seem to be about to leave Tarquin. :(

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Draketooth is going to be such a letdown after Tarquin.

Neutral Evil can be all the things Tarquin is if it tickles their fancy. Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil encompass each other, in most respects, to the degree that delineation is meaningless.

This is not true at all though. It's really very simple. Lawful Evil types have an ideological or logical reason to abide by the law. Chaotic Evil types have an idealogical or logical reason to flaunt the law. Neutral Evil types are about pure selfishness, and break or abide by laws when it serves their self interest.

I don't understand why this is tough to get.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Toussaint Louverture posted:

This is not true at all though. It's really very simple. Lawful Evil types have an ideological or logical reason to abide by the law. Chaotic Evil types have an idealogical or logical reason to flaunt the law. Neutral Evil types are about pure selfishness, and break or abide by laws when it serves their self interest.

You want "flout", not "flaunt". (I learned that from reading a letter sent to Dragon magazine. (I'm such a nerd. (And so old.)))

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo new comic is up!

The Draketooth Clan is horrible. :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Draketooth is going to be such a letdown after Tarquin.

If the actions and methods pursued by one alignment can and often are identical to one another regardless of what they internally tell themselves, what exactly is gained by classification?

Also I'd argue that the motivations of Lawful Evil often boil down to simple selfishness. The controlling personality often has selfishness at its core.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Tarquin is the sort of person the phrase "magnificent bastard" was created for.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

A Neutral Evil entity believe that the law is beneath their own personal interests. They recognize that breaking the law is a significant risk, so they do not flaunt the law. They break the law if and only if the personal gain offsets the risk or there will be no repercussions.
Organized crime
Corrupt politicians
Most petty criminals

I think this focusses too much on "law" as THE LAW. "Law" means there is a structured order you follow, IMHO, and in that sense, organized crime is LAWFUL evil -- they have a strict set of rules, a solid hierarchy, and so on.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Why do I have this creeping feeling that, before all is said and done, it's going to be revealed that Haley is unwittingly part of the Draketooth clan?

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Cabbit posted:

Why do I have this creeping feeling that, before all is said and done, it's going to be revealed that Haley is unwittingly part of the Draketooth clan?

Totally possible. Red hair... her father "knows a place nearby" to hide. It was one of the first things I thought of too. Not specifically that she's the child, but that there's a definite chance that she's part of it. Enough of her background is unknown that anything is possible.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

LE: "How can I exploit the system?"
NE: "Can I get away with this?"

Notice how these two are pretty much the same?

Fun new comic. I am surprised I laughed at Tarquin's spoiler alert but it happened.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Hypocrisy posted:

Except that they're not, at all. Let me rephrase that for you.

LE: How can I do evil without breaking the law (perhaps by using the law in ways it was not meant to be used, hence "exploit")?
NE: How can I not get caught breaking the law (hence "get away with")?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Elan was notably smart this time. I like that. It's good that he's getting more useful.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Hypocrisy posted:

No, not really. Exploit the system means work within it. "Get away with it" means do whatever you want as long as you don't get caught.

Lawful evil people don't give a gently caress about getting caught because they're following the letter of the law. As a rule they use it as a cudgel to get what they want and a shield against reprisal. Neutral evil may do it, but not as a rule.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Elan was notably smart this time. I like that. It's good that he's getting more useful.

Maybe, or maybe he left too soon and is going in without critical information that Tarquin would still have been able to provide if he'd been allowed to finish his story. And Elan would know well enough that the excitement factor means he'd show up just in the nick of time anyway whether or not he listens to the whole story so he'd might as well get all the info he can first.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'll ask again, if a Neutral Evil character can go his entire career acting Lawful Evil because it's convenient, what is the point of classification?

Does the alignment system justify existence y/n

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I'll ask again, if a Neutral Evil character can go his entire career acting Lawful Evil because it's convenient, what is the point of classification?

Does the alignment system justify existence y/n

Since when is it ever possible to never have a personal advantage by going against the law? If nothing else he'd do a shitload of littering when no one else is around. And Lawful Evil characters hate littering.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Since when is it ever possible to never have a personal advantage by going against the law? If nothing else he'd do a shitload of littering when no one else is around. And Lawful Evil characters hate littering.

Gonna disagree that Lawful Evil characters don't break the law even when they can get away with it, unless you're seriously telling me the Evil Vizier isn't going to hire the odd assassin every now and then.

Lawful Evil does not equate to a literal COMPULSION to obey the law.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Nearly five years after Miko killed an unarmed octogenarian and we're still arguing about alignments.

The Draketooths are pricks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DrakePegasus posted:

Nearly five years after Miko killed an unarmed octogenarian and we're still arguing about alignments.

The Draketooths are pricks.

Stockholm Syndrome is a powerful thing, folks just can't let go of lovely systems.

Nine stereotypes that pseudo-overlap is not an effective way to categorize personalities, if indeed human personalities warrant categorization in the first place.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 22, 2011

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Then he's Lawful Evil.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd like to see the GM that actually buys "He's really neutral evil, he only acts lawful evil!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I continue to stand by my pet theory that he gets massive stat bonuses in the presence of an archenemy.