Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finally I get to live out my secret fantasy of being a sexy animated female nurse AND a ninja in a fighting game. Thank you Skullgirls.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Kuai posted:

I can't imagine doing the sprites for a 2D fighter and only letting the CPU use that character.

Why not? They've been doing it as long as the genre has existed.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I think ninjas are really boring, personally. I hope she doesn't end up like Ibuki or something. Although given Reverge's record on this so far, I'm hoping she actually turns out to be really interesting.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

flatluigi posted:

That's the first time I've seen a criticism that the characters in Skullgirls are too similar.

How can you NOT see how similar they are? I mean for instance they are have four limbs, two of which are arms and two of which are legs. Come on dudes, get creative!

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Am I the only one starting to see Skullgirls as the American Arcana Heart, I have this bad feeling it is going to be an amazing game but people will go ughh and shy away from it because of the fan service or drop it for some other bullshit reason in a month, and only a few people are going to remain playing it in the end.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You don't seem to understand the difference between the reactions to games that pander to Japanese people and the reactions to ones that pander to Americans.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As long as Skullgirls isn't shipping with a boob mousepad I think they'll be okay.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Am I the only one starting to see Skullgirls as the American Arcana Heart, I have this bad feeling it is going to be an amazing game but people will go ughh and shy away from it because of the fan service or drop it for some other bullshit reason in a month, and only a few people are going to remain playing it in the end.

There's not really anything in common between the two games other than all-girl casts so I guess you'll have to wait & see?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As long as Skullgirls isn't shipping with a boob mousepad I think they'll be okay.

If it's not, then I'm out. No sale.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Arcana Heart fuckin' owns so I'd be ok with it being american Arcana Heart.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

This is why I secretly dread the idea of Capcom making another Vampire game. I still am holding out for an HD remake of Vampire Chronicle.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think ninjas are really boring, personally. I hope she doesn't end up like Ibuki or something. Although given Reverge's record on this so far, I'm hoping she actually turns out to be really interesting.

She has air kunai (and ground kunai), but it stops her forward momentum in the air so she doesn't have ibuki crossup stuff. If I had to describe valentine, I'd call her a cross between Chun Li, Morrigan, and Ibuki. There are a lot of elements of her I haven't explored yet though, mostly because I haven't played skullgirls in a while due to stupid college taking up my free time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

a cross between Chun Li, Morrigan, and Ibuki

Welp, looks like I know who I'm playing. A team of Cerebella and Valentine. And I will be terrible at it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm bummed as hell that Umbrella won't be available from the get-go, but she'd probably be a charge character or something knowing my luck anyway so whatever! Bring on the circus lady and the schoolgirl with hair problems!

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is why I secretly dread the idea of Capcom making another Vampire game. I still am holding out for an HD remake of Vampire Chronicle.

An HD remake of any Vampire game is the last thing I want to see after seeing ST HD and the redefined 3SO sprites (I had to set the graphics to the original to make the game look good on my tv).

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I'd be scared that Ono would design it, and they'd add a mechanic called Hellraiser that would allow you to attempt a 0-frame one hit kill when you had less than half life. Then they'd add "souls" that you could buy as DLC that would give your characters extra frame advantage. Then they'd have a cycle of characters that would be rotated out every two weeks, and you could only play as those characters until you accumulated 500 hours of playtime, at which point you could buy one character permanently. Or spent ten bucks for them, either works.

Oh yeah, and it would have HD Remix graphics. And for no reason in particular Felicia would get MvC3 Berserker Slash and AE Yun's EX lunge. At least James Chen would like it.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 26, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I doubt they would got to the trouble to rebalance Vampire Saviour considering how ST HD Remix was received competitively as well as it's long development cycle. Of course if they decide to make Darkstalkers 4 all that poo poo you just said would be likely I guess.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

SNOT CORN posted:

Why do all the characters except for peacock look like the same basic design with a few different elements? It kind of looks like they just traced the same one several times and added stuff.

Maybe its because in all their character bios they all are standing in the same exact stance. In game they all have pretty different stances and movement.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Wasn't HD Remix the other way around? The development cycle stretched on way longer than anyone thought it would so they decided "well, gently caress it, if we have all this time let's just rebalance it while we're at it."

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Nerokerubina posted:

Wasn't HD Remix the other way around? The development cycle stretched on way longer than anyone thought it would so they decided "well, gently caress it, if we have all this time let's just rebalance it while we're at it."

IIRC the rebalance wasn't part of the HDR development schedule at all, David Sirlin did it on his own time because Backbone didn't want to budget the resources for it and nobody bothered to stop him.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Mio Bison posted:

IIRC the rebalance wasn't part of the HDR development schedule at all, David Sirlin did it on his own time because Backbone didn't want to budget the resources for it and nobody bothered to stop him.

I imagine if we somehow managed to invent a time machine, there would be someone on this very forum that would be more than willing to go punch him in the dick.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 26, 2011

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Mio Bison posted:

If everyone ever asks who David Serlin is, I'm just going to tell them this.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Might as well have an HD remake of Killer Instinct with 3D models ala-SFIV.

Say, what happened to the Bloody Roar games? People used to play them, but they weren't very well known in the west. Now that I look back at them, the games got shittier as they progressed.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/25/5-reasons-why-you-shouldn%E2%80%99t-worry-about-balance/

The comments rule.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

uncleKitchener posted:

Might as well have an HD remake of Killer Instinct with 3D models ala-SFIV.

Say, what happened to the Bloody Roar games? People used to play them, but they weren't very well known in the west. Now that I look back at them, the games got shittier as they progressed.

Bloody Roar was never a super good game but yes I think most people would agree that design wise the series peaked mechanically and in characters in Bloody Roar 2. Also most of us got older and transitioned to genuinely better games period. That said iirc that series was made by Eighting, who have gone on to make the licensed Naruto fighters for Nintendo systems (surprisingly not bad, though they lack a certain "depth" I guess is how I would phrase it), and I'm pretty sure they were contracted by Capcom to develop Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and Marvel Vs Capcom 3.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Schmendrick posted:

An HD remake of any Vampire game is the last thing I want to see after seeing ST HD and the redefined 3SO sprites (I had to set the graphics to the original to make the game look good on my tv).

The difference here is that Vampire is a game that already was trying as hard as it could to look like the STHD anime style sprites when it first came out. Super Turbo didn't need to be completely redrawn and 3S is already one of the most amazing looking fighters and didn't need a half asses eagle filter tossed on it. But I feel the conversion to fully drawn HD style characters like in HDR is a natural progression of the Vampire series aesthetic.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

SNOT CORN posted:

Why do all the characters except for peacock look like the same basic design with a few different elements? It kind of looks like they just traced the same one several times and added stuff.

They all look kind of similar in still pictures because there's only so many things you can do with Big Titty Anime Lady but in motion they're all completely different through their movesets and animations.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
So when did SRK start this whole games journalism opinion piece crap anyway?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Darkstalkers would look loving amazing done in KOFXIII sprite style. I really don't want to see another hideous SFIV variant.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

redmercer posted:

Why not? They've been doing it as long as the genre has existed.

:10bux: Skullgirls devs don't have the cash to throw into artists like Capcom or SNK can.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

SpaceBees posted:

I imagine if we somehow managed to invent a time machine, there would be someone on this very forum that would be more than willing to go punch him in the dick.

And yet people still buy his [crappy] card games.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The difference here is that Vampire is a game that already was trying as hard as it could to look like the STHD anime style sprites when it first came out. Super Turbo didn't need to be completely redrawn and 3S is already one of the most amazing looking fighters and didn't need a half asses eagle filter tossed on it. But I feel the conversion to fully drawn HD style characters like in HDR is a natural progression of the Vampire series aesthetic.

Chances are Udon would get to do the hd stuff, and everything Udon makes is ugly and horrible. I don't any more fugly Udon work. :(

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Ever played any of Sirlin's games? Yomi is really fun. Bad people make good games all the time. Look at Minecraft!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sade posted:

Ever played any of Sirlin's games? Yomi is really fun. Bad people make good games all the time. Look at Minecraft!

Nice non sequitur.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Schmendrick posted:

Richard Garfield actually really likes Sirlin's card games.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Brosnan posted:

Darkstalkers would look loving amazing done in KOFXIII sprite style. I really don't want to see another hideous SFIV variant.
I think Darkstalkers would suit Arc System Works sprites more than anything else.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Schmendrick posted:

I said this a few pages ago, but honestly, if you're going to troll Sirlin find a good reason. I've ragged on Sirlin a ton but I own Puzzle Strike and it is fantastic, and my roommate owns Yomi and it is also great. I really doubt that anyone calling his games crappy has actually played them. That said, there are a ton of actual reasons that Sirlin is an obnoxious turd but the quality of his games is definitely not one of them.

SpaceBees posted:

I know I hate it when stuff like newspapers have op-eds or magazines run anything nonfactual. I wish that SRK was just a list of facts I could read. It really annoys me when outlets for a gaming community try to express the opinions of that gaming community.

Zand fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 26, 2011

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

SpaceBees posted:

Beats the hell out of Funny and Cool Moments #5992 and streams of bad players

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

SpaceBees posted:

When they realized that Kotaku and Destructiod bring in the money with troll baiting opinion pieces and they wanted in on that action too.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Sex Vicar posted:

When they realized that Kotaku and Destructiod bring in the money with troll baiting opinion pieces and they wanted in on that action too.

SRK has ran these pieces since forever, and the article is right.

Either way, this kind of FG ideology needs big news item presentation because its completely drowned out by the other side of the argument these days. A new online player can play fighting games and never be exposed to these kind of "old school" ideas.

Also, these ideas and narrative have actual power in the actual games and how they are designed/patched.

edit- Precisely because this kind of opinion piece is controversial or "troll-baiting" is why it needs to expressed to those who might not have even heard this approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'd be scared that Ono would design it, and they'd add a mechanic called Hellraiser that would allow you to attempt a 0-frame one hit kill when you had less than half life. Then they'd add "souls" that you could buy as DLC that would give your characters extra frame advantage. Then they'd have a cycle of characters that would be rotated out every two weeks, and you could only play as those characters until you accumulated 500 hours of playtime, at which point you could buy one character permanently. Or spent ten bucks for them, either works.

Oh yeah, and it would have HD Remix graphics. And for no reason in particular Felicia would get MvC3 Berserker Slash and AE Yun's EX lunge. At least James Chen would like it.

Also on the presentation front, instead of the cool, pulsing, horror tinged soundtrack the series had we'd just get lots of lovely Fukusawa techno.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think Darkstalkers would suit Arc System Works sprites more than anything else.

Oh my loving god no. Big HD sprites sure but Darkstalkers' entire visual appeal with the wacky animation would be lost in lovely, stiff, low frame count animation.

uncleKitchener posted:

BR4 was, by all accounts, such a massive piece of poo poo that it basically killed off the series. Funny enough, it was developed by Eighting. They were actually planning on making a new game but then Hudson's U.S. branch closed down and that ended that.

Suben fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 26, 2011

• Locked thread