Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Very nice man. I have a regular 620; those things are crazy versatile. Flatwounds work very well for Rick 12-strings btw; better balancing between wound and plain strings, and you'll only have to change them once a year if you keep them clean after playing. And if you want to go super-jangle, stringing a plain G in unisono is gonna cut through absolutely everything. What electric 12 were you playing before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Underflow posted:

Very nice man. I have a regular 620; those things are crazy versatile. Flatwounds work very well for Rick 12-strings btw; better balancing between wound and plain strings, and you'll only have to change them once a year if you keep them clean after playing. And if you want to go super-jangle, stringing a plain G in unisono is gonna cut through absolutely everything. What electric 12 were you playing before?

Thanks. I’ve only had it for a week or so, but I already love it. I can’t believe what great shape it is in for being 18 years old. It looks brand new except for a couple (very small) scratches. I’ve been reading really good things on the RickResource forums about the Thomastik Flatwound set that Pick of the Ricks sells. They’re pretty steep at $34.49, but I think I’m going to have to pick up a set and give them a try.

For the G in unison, are you going with two higher gauge strings (i.e. two .10s) or two lower gauge strings (i.e. two .20s)?

I gave away my old 12-string around 8 years ago, so I can’t remember the exact model, but I believe that it was an Ibanez. It was acoustic not electric, and I originally went on ebay looking for another acoustic. However, I decided to check which Ricks were available for the hell of it and spotted this beauty. It was above my original budget, but much cheaper than I was expecting, so I figured what the hell. I’m so happy that I hit the Buy Now button.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Slow Graffiti posted:

I’ve been reading really good things on the RickResource forums about the Thomastik Flatwound set that Pick of the Ricks sells. They’re pretty steep at $34.49, but I think I’m going to have to pick up a set and give them a try.

For the G in unison, are you going with two higher gauge strings (i.e. two .10s) or two lower gauge strings (i.e. two .20s)?

I gave away my old 12-string around 8 years ago, so I can’t remember the exact model, but I believe that it was an Ibanez. It was acoustic not electric, and I originally went on ebay looking for another acoustic. However, I decided to check which Ricks were available for the hell of it and spotted this beauty. It was above my original budget, but much cheaper than I was expecting, so I figured what the hell. I’m so happy that I hit the Buy Now button. 

Yes, they say the TI's have just the right kind of tension for a Rick, and they're a well respected brand overall. The unisono G sounds best (in my experience) as a double plain .20.

I like that 360 of yours too, btw. Is that an older one with the 22 fret neck? I wish they'd still make those for the 330/360. The 24 fret necks somehow look a bit out of proportion.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Underflow posted:

Yes, they say the TI's have just the right kind of tension for a Rick, and they're a well respected brand overall. The unisono G sounds best (in my experience) as a double plain .20.

I like that 360 of yours too, btw. Is that an older one with the 22 fret neck? I wish they'd still make those for the 330/360. The 24 fret necks somehow look a bit out of proportion.

The 360 is a 2011 model so it has 24 frets. The proportion looks ok to me, but perhaps part of that has to do with the body being so much larger than the 310's. Yet another reason they make a good pair.

I'll have to give the double .20s a shot too.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Slow Graffiti posted:

The 360 is a 2011 model so it has 24 frets. The proportion looks ok to me, but perhaps part of that has to do with the body being so much larger than the 310's. Yet another reason they make a good pair.

I'll have to give the double .20s a shot too.

No, I meant the 330 - the 360's predecessor/cheaper cousin. Here: http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=330 - looks kind of weird compared to: http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=360 in my eyes. Maybe because of the sharper angles of the 330, and the way the neck eats deaper into the space left by the cutaways. The 24 fret 360 looks okay actually.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Underflow posted:

No, I meant the 330 - the 360's predecessor/cheaper cousin. Here: http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=330 - looks kind of weird compared to: http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=360 in my eyes. Maybe because of the sharper angles of the 330, and the way the neck eats deaper into the space left by the cutaways. The 24 fret 360 looks okay actually.

Ah. Yes, I totally agree about the 24-fret 330 looking a little odd, especially when compared to the 360.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Before someone says we ought to get a room: if you're going to record your new baby, there's a nice trick to get a really full, but clean sound out of an electric 12 - especially when you're playing open chords. You just mike (preferably with a condenser) the actual strings in tandem with the amp/DI/whatever. A few inches from the fretboard for an almost acousting ring, or towards the bridge for more accentuation (works best with a felt pick to avoid picking up scraping sounds). Bring that track up a little in the mix so it blends with the electric signal and you'd think the angels were descending from heaven.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

There are 3 new things in this photo :)

#1) M-Audio BX8a studio monitors. I got 'em for 450 bucks. I know that they're meant to be set up with me being one of the points of an equalateral triangle and I know that they'll have no bass definition due to it being trapped in a corner, but you know what? They help SO much already in this poo poo spot that I dont give a gently caress. I'm able to get the mix a LOT more accurate with these puppies than with anything else. I love those monitors.

2) Carillon Control49 Midi keyboard. I dont really play keyboard yet, but this thing is so helpful for editing my midi files. Plus it's fun to gently caress around with. Maybe I'll get good at keyboard one day? I also use the sliders to help me mix because they're finer\easier to control than a mouse

3) Studio Projects VTB1 Tube Pre-Amp. It's sitting on top of the Focusrite with the blue glow. I got it for 2 things. Firstly, a Hi-Z input is great if you're using modelling software (Which I do for clean guitars) and also for bass input. Plus, my Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser mic is wonderful, but a bit brittle. The tube smooths it out quite a bit. Thirdly, I can now mic my amp with 3 mics. What phasing issues? Oh god why did I think that was a good idea.

H13 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 12, 2011

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dude... You gotta fix the monitor situation. Stack textbooks/phone books/whatever you have to do. You can deal with bass from a corner, but that's beaming treble at you on the left and attenuating a ton of frequencies on the right. You don't have to make an equilateral triangle with your head completing it, but as close as you can come eyeballing it will be dramatically better for getting the sense of spacial dimension (and phase) of your mixes to work out. Very cool that you got new speakers but that pic is brutal on my mixing eyes.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know, trust me, however you have to work with what you've got dont you? It's a temporary position right now and when I can move things around a bit more, I'll get them in a better spot. It's the best I can do for now though.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Yeah, you might want to buy some monitor stands. Or maybe there's a way you could rearrange your room that would sort it out somehow. They look like cool monitors, anyway... I have BX5As :)

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Rheem Kee Bass- a sweet little 60s bass monosynth, about as barebones as it gets but has some serious low end and looks rad:

Makes a pretty good pair with the SR-55

(not my pictures)
Plus an HR-2, for making some glitchy harmonies:

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 12, 2011

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

New cab last night. Ampeg 412 with Celestion G12T-75s. I've been without a guitar cab for a while and holy poo poo this thing is way louder than playing through a bass 410.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hammer Floyd it looks like that Fender amp head plus the three text books on your shelf would level out the difference within 3 inches or so

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
It took three drat weeks to get here but my Akai MPK 49 finally came today:

Soon it will join forces with the MC-909 that should also be on it's way. I shutter to think of the unstoppable force these two devices will soon create. This MPK has so many advantages over my Axiom 49, even down to the size of the keyboard and the give of the keys. The sides of the mod wheels even light up! I from the product picture I thought that yellow stuff on the side would be some cheapo decal, but it's just pure awesome instead.

Though while the drum pads aren't MPC quality, they do feel and react pretty nicely, I expected much less of the drum pads from the reviews I heard.

Anyway, look for my Axiom 49 up on SA Mart in a few days. PM if interested!

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 16, 2011

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Hammer Floyd it looks like that Fender amp head plus the three text books on your shelf would level out the difference within 3 inches or so

Cheers for the advice, but said amp gets moved nearly every day. This setup is temporary until I get a better space.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

tehschulman posted:

It took three drat weeks to get here but my Akai MPK 49 finally came today:

(snip)

Though while the drum pads aren't MPC quality, they do feel and react pretty nicely, I expected much less of the drum pads from the reviews I heard.

From reviews and opinions online of the MPK pads it's like they're going to kill and then rape your family. They do look very low/recessed into the chassis, http://www.mpcstuff.com/mpk49stuff.html might help take care of that, unless they were meant to be touched just lightly to trigger.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just put some flatwounds on my Agile Harm. They sound awesome, so woody.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I love flats so much. I've got them on one of my guitars (I don't think they'd sound great on the Tele) but I probably need to get a new set. I can't remember when I last changed strings.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Just got Chromaphone yesterday and I think it's love.

There are some sample tracks here:

http://www.applied-acoustics.com/chromaphone/overview/

Chromaphone is a physical modeling percussion synthesizer plugin from AAS, and it's insanely flexible. Want a marimba with the resonance of a darbuka? Not a problem. Even though it's technically for percussion, it has string models and whatnot as well.

I also just got Amplitube and a bunch of addons for it (Fender, Metal, some Orange and Hiwatt models) a few weeks ago. It sounds great, and honestly if I didn't have to gig occasionally I would probably be selling my Pod X3 Live and my big amp right now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm not really sure where to post this, but I just bought M-audio oxygen 49 v3 from Sweetwater for $99 with free shipping. That's the same price as the oxygen 25 everywhere else! http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Oxygen2-49

edit: out of stock :(

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 26, 2011

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
My dad sent me these pictures this morning of a guitar he saw at a pawn shop in Texas. I told him that if the thing isn't crazy expensive, he should buy and ship it to me and I'll reimburse him, because holy poo poo. Who wouldn't want a guitar with hippie cats on it?

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Is that an LP junior? It can't be worth more the 100$. That paint job could trigger a seizure.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Awesome catair! Or whatever it should be called.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

forever whatever posted:

Is that an LP junior? It can't be worth more the 100$. That paint job could trigger a seizure.
This is what I was thinking, based on the single humbucker. Not sure. I wish I could go inspect it in person.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Single humbucker, one volume/one tone pot, bolt on neck. Looks like a Les Paul Jr to me.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I love how the bows+access plate on the back are optimum positioned so you dont have to see cat rear end in a top hat.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
This is what I play with while I'm transferring samples to my MPC 1000 (drat you USB 1.0)

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
My guitar just got some new friends:

Earthquaker Devices Bit Commander - basically makes your guitar sound like an analog synth. Crazy/awesome.

And I built myself a clone of a Devi Ever Shoegazer. This thing just destroys sound with both switches engaged. Lots of good/bad sounds.

Plus I got to paint the enclosure.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

communistdew posted:

My guitar just got some new friends:

Earthquaker Devices Bit Commander - basically makes your guitar sound like an analog synth. Crazy/awesome.

And I built myself a clone of a Devi Ever Shoegazer. This thing just destroys sound with both switches engaged. Lots of good/bad sounds.

Plus I got to paint the enclosure.

I want both of those so bad now. I would totally build a guitar pedal, had I a soldering iron and some time, and I can't play keyboards for poo poo, so guitar = synth freakout = very yes.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Some Black Friday scores:

Selling my M13 and needed a reasonable delay that could cover the same ground, the looper is nice too.

The only other feature of the M13 I really used was the phase and uni-vibe patches, so I'm trying this one out.

Couple dirt boxes I got earlier this month:

Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest and Dr Scientist Elements, both are staying on my board. Love these two.

No more pedal buying for me for awhile. :staredog:

wheezy360
Mar 8, 2006
Not "new" or "purchased", but they're new to me. My wife's father passed away and left, amongst other things, his guitars. Haven't had a chance to play them yet.

1962 Rickenbacker 360

1974 Rickenbacker 4001

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
^^^ you absolute motherfucking lucky prick. A 360 with toasters? FUUUUCCCKKK

I mean, sorry for your loss.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
What is that hand-rest over the strings of the Rickenbacker called, and are those model-specific or can they be retro-fit? I've got fibro (and then some) and need all the rest and relaxation possible for my arms and hands while playing.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

dancehall posted:

I'd be a hypocrite not to agree. That is one serious piece of desirable gear.

MrLonghair posted:

What is that hand-rest over the strings of the Rickenbacker called, and are those model-specific or can they be retro-fit? I've got fibro (and then some) and need all the rest and relaxation possible for my arms and hands while playing.

You mean the bass? That's just cosmetic - a light plastic cover to maintain the look of the original wrap-around 'horsehoe' pick-up. And it's part of the pick-up assembly, so you can't just snap it on/off. Many people remove 'em.

wheezy360
Mar 8, 2006

dancehall posted:

I mean, sorry for your loss.

My wife's sister wants to sell them to cover some of the debts their dad left (classic Ricks weren't the only "collectables" unfortunately). My wife doesn't want to sell, and I sure as gently caress don't either. It's not up to me whatsoever unfortunately.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Goddamn that 360 is seeeexy.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

wheezy360 posted:

My wife's sister wants to sell them to cover some of the debts their dad left (classic Ricks weren't the only "collectables" unfortunately). My wife doesn't want to sell, and I sure as gently caress don't either. It's not up to me whatsoever unfortunately.

Sorry for the loss. And holy poo poo my dad died a couple years ago and I would have killed anyone for even suggesting his instruments be sold instead of kept in the family.

wheezy360
Mar 8, 2006
We have yet to bring back the gigantic VOX stack that he left as well. No idea on the details of that one. Just know that the fucker is probably 7 feet tall with the 2 cabs and head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Clancy
Feb 18, 2007

5 Bux
Recently got a used Badass II Bridge for my Roadstar for $40. There's differing opinions of whether it improves sustain/tone/whatever but for me, it now sustains forever and brings out a kind of piano-like tone that i dig.

pics:

for more than half off the retail cost, i can't complain about replacing the flimsy, rattly bent metal chunk that came it equipped with.