Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

What belt are you currently, if you don't mind me askin?

I'm still blue, and I will be for a couple of years yet. There are much better grapplers in here than me, I'm just the loudest. We have a brown belt I think, which usually represents about 8-10 years of solid training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
This weekend, my instructors instructor has been flown in from London, and it's time for TJJ gradings. Looking forwards to the training itself, but the grading portions, not so much.
I'm not a huge fan of the way we do the syllabus bits of our training, nor am I a huge fan of a lot of the TJJ techniques we drill for the syllabus, but this year I had the balls to at least say no thanks to the grading, for my own sake.
It's kind of silly, we basically do BJJ 80% of the time all year round, but in the month or so before we fly our instructor in it's pretty much all TJJ and a minimum of the stuff we usually do. Now it's all hip throws and really bad punches to set up other takedowns or standing locks or defending against kicks while on the ground~

It's dumb. At least the sensei is an awesome dude.

Also, we already pay the instructor to come train with us and I think that's great, but giving $85 to an organization we're not officially a member of to be allowed to wear a new coloured belt and get a new stamp in your "budo pass", no thanks.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

mewse posted:

didn't get your email :(

Tried again, also gave you my e-mail address on fitocracy.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Stuff

NovemberMike answered your questions pretty well but just to touch more on Japanese Jujitsu. It is a time investment and depending on the instructor/system, 12 years is possible but it seems a bit long to me. With fairly consistent training it takes about 6-7 years to get a black belt in my particular style of Jujitsu. It took me essentially 10, as I started when I was 6 1/2 or so and tested when I was 16 (We don't allow anyone under 16 to have a black belt). Traditional jujitsu will focus more on self defense, joint manipulation, throwing, grappling, things of that sort. Depending on the instructor you will see other things mixed in as well, like my instructor mixed in some striking from ishinryu karate and more focus on judo. Now he has backed off the karate stuff and mixed in more small circle as he has gotten older.

NovemberMike really said it best, find a school/gym you like. If you are paying $150 a month, you need to make sure it is a place you enjoy. Just understand the limitations of any particular martial art.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

NovemberMike posted:

JKD is also bad because it was an incomplete art when Lee died and rather than moving in the Western Boxing + Judo direction that Lee seemed to be going towards it tended back to the Wing Chun style.

From my experience, this is wrong. My teacher is a JKD instructor under inosanto/vunak and except for a little bit of trapping stuff, its all boxing/kickboxing/thai kicks and clinches mixed together. we would never like stand square and do wing chun with each other, it's more like using trapping off an opponent strike to set up straight blasts to close in for the thai clinch to knees/elbows/takedowns, that type of stuff. he also teaches filipino martial arts in that portion of the class and that poo poo is just ridiculously fun

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Mr Interweb posted:

- One of the instructors said that if a person practiced for 3 days a week, it would take them about 12 years to get a black belt. WTF? Don't get me wrong, I neither expect nor would trust one of those places that would give you a black belt in like 6 weeks or whatever, but 12 YEARS? Holy poo poo.

This dojo is offering lessons for $150 a month, first month free. Is that a good deal?

Feel free to comment on anything else, please.

That's about right for BJJ. It takes about 3 months just to be able to defend yourself on a nominal level from people smaller than you, much less anything else. 12 years is probably what it takes with 3 classes weekly and you're unathletic and you've never wrestled or anything before. It's how long it took Al Bundy!

$150 a month isn't really that bad, but I'd advise posting who the instructor is here so we can get an idea for the quality of instruction you'd be receiving.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Some guys also just don't give BB until 10 years or so as a hard rule. You see quite a few super badass brown belts that can tap most black belts because their instructor just won't promote them before X amount of time.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

mindtwist posted:

From my experience, this is wrong. My teacher is a JKD instructor under inosanto/vunak and except for a little bit of trapping stuff, its all boxing/kickboxing/thai kicks and clinches mixed together. we would never like stand square and do wing chun with each other, it's more like using trapping off an opponent strike to set up straight blasts to close in for the thai clinch to knees/elbows/takedowns, that type of stuff. he also teaches filipino martial arts in that portion of the class and that poo poo is just ridiculously fun

The problem with JKD is that it's not a real system. Boxing, MT, BJJ, Judo etc all have a core curriculum that is common to almost all schools and if the school differs they can show you why they emphasize their own stuff with their tournament record. JKD can be good stuff taught by competent people but it can also be pretty worthless. I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it until someone has a basic grasp of striking and they can figure out whether the school they are going to is bullshit. IIRC Inosanto basically turned it into a kind of MMA style but several other groups either stopped it at Lee's death (when it was still in transition) or regressed it.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

NovemberMike posted:

The problem with JKD is that it's not a real system. Boxing, MT, BJJ, Judo etc all have a core curriculum that is common to almost all schools and if the school differs they can show you why they emphasize their own stuff with their tournament record. JKD can be good stuff taught by competent people but it can also be pretty worthless. I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it until someone has a basic grasp of striking and they can figure out whether the school they are going to is bullshit. IIRC Inosanto basically turned it into a kind of MMA style but several other groups either stopped it at Lee's death (when it was still in transition) or regressed it.

Yeah, I was going to make a comment about how it probably depends a lot on the particular teacher, but I forgot to add it in. At first I was really skeptical of the JKD and skipped it and just came in for the BJJ (he's a 2nd degree BB with an insane competition record), but after I started seeing how good he was and how good his advanced guys were, I was convinced. It's not something I'd go out and look for on its own though, I agree

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Got to go to a BJJ seminar by Adriano Lucio. It was awesome, totally worth 25 bones. He showed us some good technique for controlling someone using butterfly guard, a good pass to side control and slick collar choke from side control. Can't wait to see him out those way again.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I managed to land (what felt like) a perfect hipthrow into side control on a resisting opponent today, and I instantly realised what you dudes must love so much about judo. It simply felt amazing.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

There. Finally just picked a gym and gave them money after being terribly indecisive, also injured, since like, spring. Local BJJ gym, good atmosphere, good teaching, good workout, fun as hell, somewhat homoerotic.

BJJ and HEMA, strange combo.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bohemian Nights posted:

I managed to land (what felt like) a perfect hipthrow into side control on a resisting opponent today, and I instantly realised what you dudes must love so much about judo. It simply felt amazing.

Pretty much, there's very few thing more satisfying than a good throw that is effortless. It gets even more awesome when you do some of the more badass ones like an Uchi Mata or a perfectly timed sweep.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

brb, taking up wrestling~
I wanna pull off this escape:

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Here's a pretty cool video from when the head instructor from our school, Keith Owen, came for a visit over the weekend. Ari just posted it, and I thought I'd reshare. It answers some common questions about what it takes to become a black belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWgke2m__6Y

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the yellow dart posted:

$150 a month isn't really that bad, but I'd advise posting who the instructor is here so we can get an idea for the quality of instruction you'd be receiving.

It's this guy:

http://romulobarral.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=3

Oddly enough, I was introduced to all the instructors at this place except him.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

That guy has an amazing competition record, that's world class coaching. Easily worth the price, unless he turns out to be a real jerk or something. That's some holy poo poo level coaching.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mr Interweb posted:

It's this guy:

I know Romulo from when he was making the transition to the US before he moved to California to open a place. He trained with us at Renzo Gracie. He is a nice guy and a great grappler. You found a good place.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Bangkero posted:

I wanna pull off this escape:

thats a funk wrestling move. My friend knew a few of those, and of course the great ben Askren is a 10 degree funk BB.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

That's such a great feeling the first time a throw just works. It's magical.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I don't know much about western wrestling, is that olympic freestyle rules? They seem to move with this weird smoothness that makes me think more of Sambo or Judo.

edit: or maybe I just haven't seen wrestling of such a high standard before.

Yeah, that is Freestyle Wrestling. From the scoring you can tell it is Olympic style wrestling and you can tell it isn't Greco-Roman because of all the leg attacks. Lots more Sambo/Judo influence than you'll see from most guys in the US though. Which makes sense given that most US guys grew up training Folkstyle Wrestling, in which a lot of that stuff is either illegal or not practical given the way stuff is scored.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

It's this guy:

I've taken a few classes at Romulo's old spot. In addition to being an amazing grappler he's a cool dude and a good teacher. $150 a month in LA is also pretty cheap.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't care who you are. Your first ippon and you're hooked.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
All you guys living near major cities are making me jealous...

Anyway, I need some advice.

So after doing BJJ for the last 2.5 years I find myself kind of unhappy with my current training. (BJJ 2-3 times per week, with a purple belt and a handful of blue belts who are better than me, but are in their 30s to 40s)

The school is relatively new, 6 months old so we have not gotten a lot of new people yet, but I don't think there is enough 'fresh blood' so to say. It is too easy to get used to what a couple of people are doing especially since I'm training with an older crowd. (I'm in my mid twenties.)

So I was thinking of doing something else. But I'm not sure what.

Nearby there is a Judo gym, but they have a similar problem. (Lack of young members. Only 4-6 people per lesson.)

My old BJJ instructor is nearby (5-15 minute drive), but I really do not want to deal with his drama. He is quite talented, and there are some good, young, strong guys training with him. However at the end of a long day at work (10 hours working, 1 hour drive each way) I really am not in the mood to deal with his crap. Especially not after he drove his last gym into the ground.

A 20-30 minute drive there is an MMA academy run by a former ADCC competitor. Overall the gym seems to do well in MMA amateur fights on this side of the state, but I don't see them listed as competing near the larger cities against more well known gyms. Suprisingly I have also never seen them competing in grappling tournaments or see them listed.

I just feel like I've hit a big wall in my training and unless I do something different from what I've been doing, nothing will change and I will remain teh suck. (More drilling is a great thing to do but you need someone to drill with...)

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I'm considering quitting judo all together now. I don't know if anyone remembered/cared but I took a few months off for a shoulder injury and its not 100% but its about 90%. I went to my second judo sesh since my time off and it hit me how little I've grown as a judoka. I'm not talking about because of my time off I mean in general. Everyone is blue belt or higher and its impossible to get any throws in. I know everyones reaction is going to be 'well its better to judo play against stronger players so when you're in comp you'll be used to stiff competition' but seriously its bullshit. Literally my last 10 lessons I was the only one below blue belt level, and our blue belts are tough as nails. I'm a newly graded yellow belt for reference. We have incredible coaches there; former #1 new zealand judo player, 6th dan former aussie nationals rep, his son is also a coach and he just placed at nationals (2nd I think, cant be sure) and another guy who got placed at nationals. They're feared on the australian circuit and in my mind, literally the best coaching team in the country but the class is so small, often theres about 5 of us, a few browns and a few blues and me. Its just a fitness class for me basically as I get thrown around completely unable to do anything. I'm going to quit till early/mid next year and if I go back and they're still out of my league well I'm just going to do something else. I have no problem getting my rear end kicked and its not a pride thing, I'm just poo poo at Judo and have no one to grow with. Thanks for everyones tips over the past year. You've all been very helpful. I'll see yas next year.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

I'm considering quitting judo all together now. I don't know if anyone remembered/cared but I took a few months off for a shoulder injury and its not 100% but its about 90%. I went to my second judo sesh since my time off and it hit me how little I've grown as a judoka. I'm not talking about because of my time off I mean in general. Everyone is blue belt or higher and its impossible to get any throws in. I know everyones reaction is going to be 'well its better to judo play against stronger players so when you're in comp you'll be used to stiff competition' but seriously its bullshit. Literally my last 10 lessons I was the only one below blue belt level, and our blue belts are tough as nails. I'm a newly graded yellow belt for reference. We have incredible coaches there; former #1 new zealand judo player, 6th dan former aussie nationals rep, his son is also a coach and he just placed at nationals (2nd I think, cant be sure) and another guy who got placed at nationals. They're feared on the australian circuit and in my mind, literally the best coaching team in the country but the class is so small, often theres about 5 of us, a few browns and a few blues and me. Its just a fitness class for me basically as I get thrown around completely unable to do anything. I'm going to quit till early/mid next year and if I go back and they're still out of my league well I'm just going to do something else. I have no problem getting my rear end kicked and its not a pride thing, I'm just poo poo at Judo and have no one to grow with. Thanks for everyones tips over the past year. You've all been very helpful. I'll see yas next year.

It really sucks that you missed your comp, because it might have changed your views on your judo. I highly doubt it's poo poo, you just have no one to compare yourself to. Everyone ends up thinking they are making no progress/they suck until a batch of new white belts comes in. You're pretty much in that situation except there are no new white belts coming in ever and there's not a single person of your level.

Any other grappling classes in your area that could interest you? If you stop until "early/mid next year" chances are you're never coming back, also they are not going to get worst by the time you come back so they'll still be out of your league. I know how it must feel, when I started in the advanced class it was pretty much only blue belts and up (mostly black belts) and it was tough, but I always had the begginers class once a week to make me feel good. I don't know if I would have been able to keep with it if it was only the advanced class.

Think about it before you quit, from your contributions into this thread, I always thought you liked it and you seemed to be making progress/were thrilled about your first comp/etc. If judo really isn't possible in your area anymore because it's the only club and it brings you no enjoyment, try to find another grappling art. There's a reason you're still posting in this thread.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nierbo posted:

This is how I was when I started sparring. I was 16 and all the other guys had been/were training for their fights and averaged about 20-30lbs heavier than me. It was really hard to get to their level and I did end up getting my rear end kicked a whole lot.

In the end, my cardio always got better and I kept at it. If you really enjoy what you're doing you'll do the same.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Nierbo posted:

Yea sounds hard, you should quit.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Nierbo posted:

TKD or american kungfu is more for you probably.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Fontoyn posted:

This is how I was when I started sparring. I was 16 and all the other guys had been/were training for their fights and averaged about 20-30lbs heavier than me. It was really hard to get to their level and I did end up getting my rear end kicked a whole lot.

I'm in this boat right now.

The problem with my gym right now is that it's an MMA gym and it's a little schizophrenic.

Monday is judo, tuesday is boxing, wednesday is BJJ, Thursday is MMA, Friday is boxing and saturday is Muay Thai.

I really want to get on the ground more because it seems everyone else trained elsewhere in groundwork first-- everyone's at least a purple belt.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
One of the best things going with the same club for years is developing lockstep with the other guys. I'm in a sweet spot in that regard, the guys who used to beat me up two years ago still beat me up almost as bad, but I'm catching on. Add to that, there's constantly a flow of new guys coming in who are just transitioning into the contact aspect of the sport. AND the guys who were at the same level four or two years ago I can compare myself with. All of this pretty much rules IMO.

I regularly attend training sessions with "newbies" (less than a year or three level) and I don't know if it sounds like I'm an rear end in a top hat but I really need to train the basics as much as anyone, and it gives me a bit of extra motivation to notice I used to be like "that guy who only started two years ago and can't throw a left" and would tool him all day if I wanted to. [Of course at that point I switch to the instructor role but anyway.]

Then there's the other end, I regularly spar with people who simply beat. The. gently caress. Out. Of. Me. I'm nowhere near their level, some guys over here could knock me out under 60 seconds or much less if they wanted to.

Having both of the options really motivates me.

If Nierbo doesn't have any of that at all, and only gets beat up again and again (and again) month after month, I pretty much understand what he wrote. Just struggling with it, if you never EVER get to test your development against anyone on the same (or lower) level but only against monsters who simply annihilate you and that is/was the only option I don't know what I would have done.

I might change my scene at that point and try to find a place where I can get the warm feeling of succeeding once in a while, just for the mental aspect.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

KingColliwog posted:

Think about it before you quit, from your contributions into this thread, I always thought you liked it and you seemed to be making progress/were thrilled about your first comp/etc. If judo really isn't possible in your area anymore because it's the only club and it brings you no enjoyment, try to find another grappling art. There's a reason you're still posting in this thread.

This would be my advice as well. Look around for some alternatives, or take a break from Judo for a few weeks or a few months and see how you feel. I find that when the motivation starts failing, taking a little break is one of the best ways to get back on track.
Getting your rear end kicked all the time isn't fun, and it might not feel like it, but you're learning from it-- Although, getting to train with someone on your own level is important too, I think. If only for the sake of your ego and sense of progression.

Being one of the better guys isn't that much fun either. Aside from my instructor (it'll never happen), there aren't really anyone at my gym that I can't consistently tap out any more, and it takes some of the fun out of it. One of the things I miss the most about training in new york was that there were people who could tool on me all day.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 1, 2011

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
I got the best call of my life the other day. So my scheduled surgery for September 2012 got bumped up to, guess what, tomorrow! Someone dropped out of their spot so I'm in!

6-7 months from now I'll be training BJJ again and Im so loving stoked! Thanks to everyone for their advice and words of encouragement, this last 10 months or so of injury has sucked harsh.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

swagger like us posted:

I got the best call of my life the other day. So my scheduled surgery for September 2012 got bumped up to, guess what, tomorrow! Someone dropped out of their spot so I'm in!

6-7 months from now I'll be training BJJ again and Im so loving stoked! Thanks to everyone for their advice and words of encouragement, this last 10 months or so of injury has sucked harsh.

That is awesome news! I'm really happy for you, duder. Nothing is worse than waiting in limbo for a surgery, so hell yeah, that rocks.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Heya thread, I'm thinking about starting martial arts a couple times a week, pretty equally for the purposes of staying in shape, self defense, and having a hobby/activity. I started weightlifting about two months back and will continue that, and I also run about 15 miles per week (and have done so forever, distance runner).

Anyhow, I'm fortunate enough to live in a big city (LA) and have lots of options to choose from.

This place would be particularly convenient, it seems small(ish) and friendly, the location is great, and unless I'm completely overlooking something it'd be very inexpensive ($30/mo). I'd really appreciate any suggestions on gyms/dojos to check out in my area as well as any advice on how the quality of this place looks:

http://www.hollywoodjudo.com/

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pellisworth posted:

Heya thread, I'm thinking about starting martial arts a couple times a week, pretty equally for the purposes of staying in shape, self defense, and having a hobby/activity. I started weightlifting about two months back and will continue that, and I also run about 15 miles per week (and have done so forever, distance runner).

Anyhow, I'm fortunate enough to live in a big city (LA) and have lots of options to choose from.

This place would be particularly convenient, it seems small(ish) and friendly, the location is great, and unless I'm completely overlooking something it'd be very inexpensive ($30/mo). I'd really appreciate any suggestions on gyms/dojos to check out in my area as well as any advice on how the quality of this place looks:

http://www.hollywoodjudo.com/

What part of LA do you live in?

The website doesn't raise any red flags. I would go in to watch a practice and see how you feel about how the class is run

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 2, 2011

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Thoguh posted:

What part of LA do you live in?

The website doesn't raise any red flags. I would go in to watch a practice and see how you feel about how the class is run

Oh absolutely, I plan on visiting a couple places before I plop down my money.

I live near Normandie Ave / Hollywood Blvd. Thai Town, basically. Are you in the LA area?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swagger like us posted:

Awesome! Let's hope you can come back at 100%! gently caress injuries seriously

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pellisworth posted:

Oh absolutely, I plan on visiting a couple places before I plop down my money.

I live near Normandie Ave / Hollywood Blvd. Thai Town, basically. Are you in the LA area?

I used to be, I worked out with a club in Anaheim that I would reccomend (Orange County Judo Training Center), but that wouldn't be a realistic commute.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swagger like us posted:

Congrats man! Good luck with your recovery!

• Locked thread