Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Words.

First, you should be careful about posting a lot of your thoughts and observations about tournaments when I would guess that you have never entered (or even spectated live) at one. I say this not to be insulting but because watching streams only gives you a small window into what's happening at tournaments. Please note I am not dismissing you as someone 'unlikely to place' in a tournament - I'm saying as someone who, I would guess, has not even spectated live/attended one.

As others have said, there are plenty of reasons to enter a tournament if you won't win! Not only do you get to play against (better) players which is almost always a good way to improve, most people I've run into at tourneys are generally quite friendly!

For reference, I've been to several tournies of varied sizes this last calendar year:
-2x NCI (NCI @ SJSU, Super NCI @ Gamecenter)
-EVO (Entered several games I am bad at just to donate to the pot - I went for casuals and side tourneys and stuff)
-NCR (Did not enter any games but stayed there, played lots of casuals and hung out with a couple friends)

I had zero hopes OR expectations of winning anything in those tournaments (Minor exception: NCI vsav side tourney))

Seriously, only the top-top-top players ever enter with the actual prize money being a motivation. This isn't professional golf where the payout scales result in the 40th place dude $21k. That's like EVO First place purse (I dunno what the results of MVC/SF4 were). Lots of (especially smaller games) smaller tournaments, the prize money wouldn't pay gas money. I won a vsav side tournament. WOO. TWENTY BUCKS. ($1 entry fee, everyone was there for the FUN of it).

Most small tournaments (that I've seen anyways) like NCI don't even have the time/energy/knowledge to seed based on skill/etc - NCI makes a point to seed based on region, I think, so you hopefully aren't paired against your local competition. There are times when that's nice: at EVO, my bracket in BBCS was against a bunch of Norcal folks I've lost to at SVGL before (Dacidbro and others).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Dias posted:

So, the people that play fighting games around here are apparently kinda into Melty Blood, so I guess I'm picking that game up since they won't play SFIV, the only game I'm competent at. I'm loving around as H-VSion right now, which I guess is one of the strongest characters so good on me. Any pointers for someone that's very new to airdash fighters and that would rather sit full screen from people spamming projectiles?

Things about Melty blood

*Whiffing jab at the end of strings is very good, despite the fact it lowers your damage it is still way way worth it.
*Trying to shield wrecks your guard only use it for very obvious stuff you know you can punish(don't do it against people with command throws though), or against air unblockables when your in the air.
*Tick throwing is way more powerful then it seems
*Mixing up jump in button>double jump/land low is effective.
*WHIFF JAB AT THE END OF STRINGS!!!

Your character has good pressure, amazing oki, good damage, good zoning, so yeah they are very good.

You should check meltybread for more specific and detailed info.

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I'm not a big fan of tournies tbqh. They're at best benchmark for everyone but the top 3 to judge their progress in the game. Tournies are popular in the US because it's a way to hustle scrubs and new players, and the meltdowns over an early matchup against a strong player and shady stuff that happens often enough bears this out. If you have no shot at winning there is no reason at all to enter a fighting game tourney in the US.

I get the majority of my play time in at tournments, though I get hustled big time because I keep getting 4th :(.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Dias posted:

So, the people that play fighting games around here are apparently kinda into Melty Blood, so I guess I'm picking that game up since they won't play SFIV, the only game I'm competent at. I'm loving around as H-VSion right now, which I guess is one of the strongest characters so good on me. Any pointers for someone that's very new to airdash fighters and that would rather sit full screen from people spamming projectiles?

If you're like me and can only learn by ripping people off Spooky's probably the best H-VSion in America and since he only recorded/streamed Melty before SSF4 there's a decent amount of footage out there. Akiha summon :patriot:

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Fayk posted:

First, you should be careful about posting a lot of your thoughts and observations about tournaments when I would guess that you have never entered (or even spectated live) at one. I say this not to be insulting but because watching streams only gives you a small window into what's happening at tournaments. Please note I am not dismissing you as someone 'unlikely to place' in a tournament - I'm saying as someone who, I would guess, has not even spectated live/attended one.

What makes you think/guess this?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mio Bison posted:

If you're like me and can only learn by ripping people off Spooky's probably the best H-VSion in America and since he only recorded/streamed Melty before SSF4 there's a decent amount of footage out there. Akiha summon :patriot:

...wait, Spooky is good at a game? I'll check some of his videos out.

Thanks ShinsoBEAM! for the tips. The whole Reverse Beat thing is taking a while to make sense for me but it seems like it makes everything that's cancellable pretty safe and leads to a ton of blockstrings.

Also, my "scene" is really, really small, about six people at most. It's just that the guy that usually hosts our sessions is really into Melty Blood, he's a mod at the Brazilian MB forum and poo poo, and since the other guys played a bunch of Guilty Gear/Blazblue/Marvel, we tend to play that game a lot.

Maybe I'll stop being the incredible turtle that I am because of that, hehe.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

rivals posted:

I'll shoot you an invite now. I almost never play so I'm terrible but that game is too fun.

My PSN is purgatos, add me too.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
If you go to a tournament and play 2 matches and go home, you're doing it wrong.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

ZerodotJander posted:

If you go to a tournament and play 2 matches and go home, you're doing it wrong.

Sorry, I meant a couple figuratively.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I don't know how I feel about a bunch of new games coming out. We've got a fairly even split in my scene between AE and Marvel, with slightly more people playing AE. KOF just came out and we've got like four or five people interested in learning it. At least with the scene of this size (maybe 20-30 people, 10 or so show for a meetup) two games is pretty much the max you can handle. Third strike got some play time after release but that pretty much stopped as of a month ago. KOF will probably end up the same way and we'll be back to AE and Marvel.

I don't play Marvel; I can't get into it. There are a few Marvel players who don't play AE. We pretty much never talk to each other since we don't play any of the same games and we're always on different setups. Once SFxTekken comes out it will again potentially seek to displace AE... I don't even know what Capcom is trying to do with xTekken to be honest. If the game sucks completely people will probably just keep playing AE. If xTekken is decent but not as good as AE it will probably kill off both games. If it's really good then it will replace it and whatever.

In my scene at least, Skullgirls will make no impact. Almost no one is excited about playing it, those that are kind of excited about the gameplay are lukewarm because of the upskirt poo poo (not reigniting this argument but that is objectively what most people in my scene have said regarding it).

I don't think MvC3 is a very fun game; I don't really want to play it. Lack of traditional footsies and combos that take like thirty seconds just kill it for me. I don't think AE is super loving amazing but it is the best "traditional" FG that is actually played right now. AE has a lot of faults and it's really a shame that they didn't change any underlying game mechanics through all of its iterations and instead just added ten characters every time. It seems like they are just doing a new game (SFxT) on the same engine, but within that game it seems they are repeating many of the mistakes of SF4 while adding in a whole slew of new terrible decisions. It might end up being good, but if it doesn't it will probably knock SF4 out of being relevant and make Marvel the only game with a large presence (and this is all talking from the perspective of the US FG scene).

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

What makes you think/guess this?

All the stuff he said that wasn't true, or not always true or relevant? That many tourneys are about more than just the main bracket, etc?

Edit: My wording was probably strong, but I wasn't trying to be like "heh, you probably haven't even gone!" - it was more that that was my honest interpretation because I didn't feel like someone who had gone to (m)any tournaments would have said those things, I guess?

Fayk fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 1, 2011

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

systran posted:

I don't think MvC3 is a very fun game; I don't really want to play it. Lack of traditional footsies and combos that take like thirty seconds just kill it for me. I don't think AE is super loving amazing but it is the best "traditional" FG that is actually played right now. AE has a lot of faults and it's really a shame that they didn't change any underlying game mechanics through all of its iterations and instead just added ten characters every time. It seems like they are just doing a new game (SFxT) on the same engine, but within that game it seems they are repeating many of the mistakes of SF4 while adding in a whole slew of new terrible decisions. It might end up being good, but if it doesn't it will probably knock SF4 out of being relevant and make Marvel the only game with a large presence (and this is all talking from the perspective of the US FG scene).

Well yeah if your options are SFIV or Marvel, that kind of sucks. I mean Marvel I find fun and all but if it was the only game I don't think I could take the game as my main. Try to get more guys into KOF it is very good, I don't think you are but this is for anyone don't complain about a scene being dead for a 1 week old game when you arn't playing it yourself and 4-5 other people are that is plenty people for it to be hype for a few months at least. Try to pull over the Marvel guys into it as a bridge somewhere between SFIV and Marvel.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Fayk posted:

All the stuff he said that wasn't true, or not always true or relevant? That many tourneys are about more than just the main bracket, etc?

Edit: My wording was probably strong, but I wasn't trying to be like "heh, you probably haven't even gone!" - it was more that that was my honest interpretation because I didn't feel like someone who had gone to (m)any tournaments would have said those things, I guess?

His stuff about tiers and balance was whatever, but some of his criticisms of tourneys are valid, especially for smaller events and for players at a lower skill level.

Anyway, I think systran should start playing KOF and try to convince the SF players to convert, 'cause I'll be damned if xTekken is going to be good.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

His stuff about tiers and balance was whatever, but some of his criticisms of tourneys are valid, especially for smaller events and for players at a lower skill level.

Anyway, I think systran should start playing KOF and try to convince the SF players to convert, 'cause I'll be damned if xTekken is going to be good.

Definitely moving into even more subjective territory, but I'd say for smaller tournaments entering even if you don't think you're the best is more important just because it not only supports the community directly (I don't just mean drawing in people - but paying for the venue, etc) and small tournaments are pretty drat cheap, too. Unless they're run stupidly.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hey I know we're past tourney chat, but has anyone ever experimented with running a Swiss style tournament, power matching a few matches on the end, then running a small single slim bracket to determine the top place? It may take more time depending on how many people are involved, but more guaranteed matches for everyone sorta offsets that.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

I really love KOF since it's gorgeous and fun to play. Not a big fan of some of the characters as a few really feel like they're just tossed in design wise but great game.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

systran lived in China, the home of KOF, and didn't even play it there!!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Yeah I missed a chance to play kof in china. To be fair I kind of tried off and on but never stuck :/

Some of the marvel players are giving it a shot, I'm going to try playing it too I just don't see it holding as a game people play in the US for an extended period of time.

Tournaments are important because it forces you to play your best. I dropped the ball at the last tournament I went to and got knocked into losers by a complete scrub. That had never happened to me in a tournament and it completely shattered my nerves and then I lost in losers. It showed me that I specifally need to work on keeping my emotions in check. It's hard to figure out weaknesses like that by just playing casuals. The same goes for losing in a tournament because you went up against some character you had no idea what to do against. In casuals you might just think "eh gently caress that character". But when you lose to that in a tournament you really realize how important matchup knowledge is.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur

Zand posted:

The Soul series is the pinnacle of lovely baby fighting games. It offers almost nothing for anyone craving a game with a high skill cap, on purpose. Namco repeatedly introduces features in both the console and arcade versions that create an incentive for single-player play in a genre that should be exclusively multi-player. The rewards for single-player play in the console versions are typically modifications to the basic game mode that make it worthless as a competitive game (weapons, create-a-character). I can find almost nothing rewarding about the series as a whole other than the fact that it helps get more new players in to fighting games.

Tekken is pretty fuckin cool though

But...but...b-but Tekken 6 has all of the things you're waah-waahing about?!?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Spaceship Zero posted:

But...but...b-but Tekken 6 has all of the things you're waah-waahing about?!?

Uh.. no it doesn't?

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

Playing a goofy singleplayer mode to unlock fancy clothes that alter your stats?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I haven't played Tekken 6 in like forever but weren't all the clothing just cosmetic for online play? Or could be toggled in terms of actual use?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spaceship Zero posted:

Playing a goofy singleplayer mode to unlock fancy clothes that alter your stats?

The stats don't affect actual matches. Likewise item stats in SC4 don't affect anything in standard mode. You just get to make dudes that look cool.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Policenaut posted:

I haven't played Tekken 6 in like forever but weren't all the clothing just cosmetic for online play? Or could be toggled in terms of actual use?

I think you could equip the hammer item.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

40 OZ posted:

Oh, Viscant, the guy who won EVO? He's not the champion, he's just a human being, he abused a top tier character, etc. You are basically a sour person if you bring balance into the competitive space.

Bitter lately? Viscant figured out how to use a character a lot of people scoffed due to her health. You can't hate the guy for that. You might as well hate guys like Daigo, Wong, and Chris G (Chris G probably deserves more hate for exploiting Reptile's bug in MK9 even if MK9 is a bug-infested piece of crap*).

*I just can't forgive NRS for bugs like the Reptile exploit and the Cyrax bug while guys like Kenshi and Freddy still have exploitable bugs.

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 1, 2011

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Schmendrick posted:

Bitter lately? Viscant figured out how to use a character a lot of people scoffed due to her health. You can't hate the guy for that. You might as well hate guys like Daigo, Wong, and Chris G (Chris G probably deserves more hate for exploiting Reptile's bug in MK9).

I think that's rhetorical.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

In T6 certain items give you access to unique specials.

In SC4 even playing in standard mode, weapon ranges are still altered.

But at any rate, no customization is allowed in either in competitive play. I'm just saying that claiming SC4 is bad because it has customization and a dumb single player focus while saying Tekken is rad is silly, when it has the same stuff and it doesn't ultimately matter in either case. Not to mention there are sooooo many more reasons why SC4 is bad.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
T6 item moves are glorified taunts.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

I think that's rhetorical.

I just think it's silly how there are people who are seriously bitter over his Evo win when you got people who exploited other characters/games (note: MK9 Reptile).

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Mr. Fun posted:

My PSN is purgatos, add me too.

I'll add you guys too, need some more folks to play it with.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Schmendrick posted:

I just think it's silly how there are people who are seriously bitter over his Evo win when you got people who exploited other characters/games (note: MK9 Reptile).

It is silly, which is why 40 Oz was making a joke based off of that.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Schmendrick posted:

What's the MK9 Reptile exploit? I follow the MK9 scene relatively closely, but I can't remember hearing about this for some reason.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Schmendrick posted:

Bitter lately? Viscant figured out how to use a character a lot of people scoffed due to her health. You can't hate the guy for that. You might as well hate guys like Daigo, Wong, and Chris G (Chris G probably deserves more hate for exploiting Reptile's bug in MK9 even if MK9 is a bug-infested piece of crap*).

*I just can't forgive NRS for bugs like the Reptile exploit and the Cyrax bug while guys like Kenshi and Freddy still have exploitable bugs.

He meant "if the thing that came before this statement is true, then that means this thing [the thing you quoted] would be true and valid." There was stuff before that line.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Spaceship Zero posted:

But at any rate, no customization is allowed in either in competitive play. I'm just saying that claiming SC4 is bad because it has customization and a dumb single player focus while saying Tekken is rad is silly, when it has the same stuff and it doesn't ultimately matter in either case. Not to mention there are sooooo many more reasons why SC4 is bad.

Zand's statements were entirely about his expectations of each game not their actual content so naturally it's silly if you try and take what he wrote as any sort of real comparison of games.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

Countblanc posted:

It is silly, which is why 40 Oz was making a joke based off of that.

I figured it was rhetoric.

quote:

What's the MK9 Reptile exploit? I follow the MK9 scene relatively closely, but I can't remember hearing about this for some reason.

You would still get hit by Reptile's forceball even if you block it, which lets him slap you silly. Chris G tried to do it a few times in tourneys.

Stealing this from Paletteswap, here's an article on PerfectLegend and Tom Brady showing some frustration/anticipation with the upcoming "balance changes" in MK9 (Can't blame PL to some extent when he's told it's his fault for getting Kung Lao nerfed).

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
on second thought, forget it.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Spaceship Zero posted:

Seemlar posted:

T6 item moves are glorified taunts.

Pretty much. Even scrubs don't get hit with these things. Honestly, those sort of things aren't that important and I'm not really certain why you brought them up unless you wanted to point out namco's production values, etc.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Spaceship Zero posted:

This is a moot point, as the specials are intentionally bad so that they aren't actually useful.

Spaceship Zero posted:

But at any rate, no customization is allowed in either in competitive play.

And this is just straight up wrong.

The stuff you unlock in Tekken does not affect gameplay, and that is by design. Soul Calibur's stuff does.

go speed racer go
Dec 11, 2006

~wat it do, dough~
In honor of NEC this weekend, have this clip from this past Summer Jam. BigE tournies are the always the best :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0fuG-SAjqI

Bonus points for the skisonic squeal

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

Any word on whether or not 8 Arc will still make Fusion sticks? They're still sold out. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Schmendrick posted:

Any word on whether or not 8 Arc will still make Fusion sticks? They're still sold out. :smith:

They do restock (my friend just got one a week ago), but those things sell like hotcakes. Your best bet is to check regularly.

• Locked thread