Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

blkmage posted:

You too can own Fate/zero at the same time as Japan at the low price of $369.98 (MSRP $498.98). (PDF)

:negative:

I will probably buy it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

jonjonaug posted:

:negative:

I will probably buy it anyway.

It's you. They did this because of you!

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
For the price of that boxset you could pay for about 6 years of Crunchyroll and watch however many shows they get over those years in their entirety (and I'd say they usually get at least 3 good shows each season, often more, but let's just round that down to 10 a year)

So either own one show permanently, or watch 60 shows as they air.

Unless you're planning to watch Fate/Zero 60 times in a row, somehow it doesn't seem like a such a great deal.

edit: sorry, I mean half of Fate/Zero

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Xythar posted:

Unless you're planning to watch Fate/Zero 60 times in a row

I might be.

The Black Stones posted:

It's you. They did this because of you!

I did warn you.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 2, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Xythar posted:

edit: sorry, I mean half of Fate/Zero
Yeah, that's the real kicker if you ask me.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

KnK I could sort of understand I guess since it was a pack of actual FILMS. This on the other hand is just stupid.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 2, 2011

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rodyle posted:

This on the other hand is just stupid.

Welcome to anime.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This has nothing to do with the current discussion, but I just caught up with watching this show in a day, and it was so awesome I had to start reading Fate/Stay Night. I haven't been following anime much out of a lack of interest I'm glad to see shows like Fate/Zero are still being made.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Twitch posted:

This has nothing to do with the current discussion, but I just caught up with watching this show in a day, and it was so awesome I had to start reading Fate/Stay Night. I haven't been following anime much out of a lack of interest I'm glad to see shows like Fate/Zero are still being made.

When you say "reading" do you mean the manga? Because any version of Fate Stay Night that isn't the original game is terrible, but the manga is even worse than the two anime productions.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There is no loving way I am (or even can) pay 500 dollars for an anime.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

The Black Stones posted:

Welcome to anime.

Crack is cheaper. And better for your social life.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

-Troika- posted:

There is no loving way I am (or even can) pay 500 dollars for an anime.

Correction, 500 dollars for HALF an anime.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zahki posted:

Correction, 500 dollars for HALF an anime.

With the rightstuf price it comes out to about 28 dollars an episode. While still hideously expensive, that's less than half the price of most one-cour (11-13 episode) shows in Japan.

It comes out to a little bit less than Kara no Kyoukai's sale price per minute of content (the MSRP without the rightstuf discount for the Kara no Kyoukai movies is quite a bit higher than the MSRP for Fate/Zero though).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
You are paying a dollar per MINUTE of episode. That is loving nuts.

There are shows out there where you can pay less than a dollar per episode. Some of them are actually good shows too!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rodyle posted:

When you say "reading" do you mean the manga? Because any version of Fate Stay Night that isn't the original game is terrible, but the manga is even worse than the two anime productions.

Visual Novel. I'm just never sure what verb to use with those.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

The Black Stones posted:

There are shows out there where you can pay less than a dollar per episode. Some of them are actually good shows too!

Yes I agree it is completely insane.

Remember that Aniplex did eventually put KnK up on the PSN. A repeat of that will probably occur a few months after the BDs come out.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I don't really rent stuff so I never did the PSN thing. I'm still holding out for a BD release here (with a dub, hopefully).

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

The Black Stones posted:

What are you talking about dude every time I buy a movie on blu-ray I totally drop 120 dollars. $1 per minute is the new standard in entertainment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

I don't really rent stuff so I never did the PSN thing. I'm still holding out for a BD release here (with a dub, hopefully).
I hope they keep Kiritsugu's dub VA from his one line in the F/SN anime, just because it was Shadow the Hedgehog's voice actor.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
*deleted*

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Well, I stand surprised. That last episode was the first that I thought really worked as a drama instead of just as action and/or comedy.

I still don't know how Kirei or his Assassins could tell Waver was a third-rate mage, at least in their judgment. Because he didn't have a magic mercury ball with him?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Onomarchus posted:

I still don't know how Kirei or his Assassins could tell Waver was a third-rate mage, at least in their judgment. Because he didn't have a magic mercury ball with him?

Can't Servants assess the power of magi? Or am I misremembering?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think the Assassins have been watching Waver for a while, so when Waver pretty bluntly stated that he sucked as a magus they relayed the information back to Kirei.

Aside from that, well, Kirei knows how a magus acts and Waver is nothing like them.
How you act is actually really important for magi; the vast majority are pompous assholes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Don't forget too that Waver's being educated at Clock Tower. All Tokiomi/Kirei would need is a dude in Student Services who owed them a favour. :v:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Onomarchus posted:

He was acting pretty unprofessionally in Caster's lair. First he lost his lunch, then he just stood there during the assassins' attack and Rider had to bail him out. A proper magus would have at least attempted some spell to help his Servant

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
New episode is up.

Oh, lil' Rin. Your streak of bad luck must have started here.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 3, 2011

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Literally the worst serial killer.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
:allears: I already liked Rin in F/SN, but goddamn did she show she don't need no magic gems or nothin' to get poo poo done.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Geez, Rin is even sorta badass as a little kid. The music in the scene where she nuked Uryu's bracelet was really nice, too.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I was a bit apprehensive when I learned that this part of the book would be stretched out to an entire episode, but that was really great. ufotable is still the best at dark alleyway scenes.

EDIT: That episode preview! I will probably request a thread change to a previously suggested thread title after next week. Next episode will be the last two parts of volume 2, meaning we'll make some headway into volume 3 by the end of the first season. I've read unsourced info that (future content spoilers) we'll be ending at the start of the big fight against Caster.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 3, 2011

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Pierson posted:

Literally the worst serial killer.

No kidding.

That was really different from how it played out in the book. I prefer how the book did it, but Rin is my favorite Master in F/SN next to Kotomine, so I didn't mind seeing her go :ssj: on Uryuu.

jonjonaug posted:

EDIT: That episode preview! I will probably request a thread change to a previously suggested thread title after next week. Next episode will be the last two parts of volume 2, meaning we'll make some headway into volume 3 by the end of the first season. I've read unsourced info that (future content spoilers) we'll be ending at the start of the big fight against Caster.

gently caress yessss :rock:

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 3, 2011

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I liked this episode. Different and expanded from the book but still cute and a nice break from the Grail War while still being relevant in showing some things that will factor later.

Rin and Tokiomi together was nice, Tokiomi is actually a pretty good father and teacher there.

And as usual, scenes featuring Kariya are just full of ._.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Kind of the weakest episode, but at least we got to see a side of Tokiomi that wasn't :smug:.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
He was still pretty :smug:, but at least it was in a way that reinforced what he wanted to teach Rin, about the family and controlling your magic and such.

I wonder why Rin gets a whole interlude, though. Like someone put it in the comments on the episode, it just seemed...out of place.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

PurplieNurplie posted:

He was still pretty :smug:, but at least it was in a way that reinforced what he wanted to teach Rin, about the family and controlling your magic and such.

I wonder why Rin gets a whole interlude, though. Like someone put it in the comments on the episode, it just seemed...out of place.

Again, most of this episode is different from the novel and is original content that Urobuchi supervised the writing of for the anime. In some ways, it's necessary, because it gives us Rin's perception of Tokiomi. The way it was laid out in the original novel (a paragraph or two of Rin thinking about how much she admires and wants to be like her dad) would never work in an anime.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

Again, most of this episode is different from the novel and is original content that Urobuchi supervised the writing of for the anime. In some ways, it's necessary, because it gives us Rin's perception of Tokiomi. The way it was laid out in the original novel (a paragraph or two of Rin thinking about how much she admires and wants to be like her dad) would never work in an anime.

Also they might have figured that that was quite enough dead children for one TV series and figured a Rin Saves The Day episode might lighten the mood. Certainly quite a lot less dark than "forget this friend" and only finding Kariya in the darkness of Shinto.

Anyway weren't we supposed to get more info on what they were doing with Fate/StupidFuckingServantSelection today?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PurplieNurplie posted:

My guess is to appeal to the creepy Japanese fans and sell blu-rays. They eat this sort of poo poo up.

This was a few pages' section on this in the book that they stretched out into a full episode. You can tell that they stretched it out with stuff that Urobuchi didn't write. In the novel she doesn't find Kotone. :smith:

It was still a fun episode, but I just hope they don't feel pressed for time in the remainder of the first series. The middle of Fate/Zero is jam-packed with some of the best parts of the series and it would be a shame if they got less than they deserve in favor of a one-off bit with Rin.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Bakanogami posted:

My guess is to appeal to the creepy Japanese fans and sell blu-rays. They eat this sort of poo poo up.

This was a few pages' section on this in the book that they stretched out into a full episode. You can tell that they stretched it out with stuff that Urobuchi didn't write.

Except that really wasn't creepy at all? And Urobuchi was definitely involved in writing the anime-original material.

Bakanogami posted:

In the novel she doesn't find Kotone. :smith:

Urobuchi just wants to write stories to make people happy.

Bakanogami posted:

It was still a fun episode, but I just hope they don't feel pressed for time in the remainder of the first series. The middle of Fate/Zero is jam-packed with some of the best parts of the series and it would be a shame if they got less than they deserve in favor of a one-off bit with Rin.

They've got plenty of time left. I wouldn't be surprised if season two contained more anime-original content just to fill out 26 episodes.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
After experiencing heart warming in Madoka, Urobuchi tones it down for Zero Anime? XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ChronoReverse posted:

After experiencing heart warming in Madoka, Urobuchi tones it down for Zero Anime? XD

Probable future spoilers: Team Caster isn't finished yet. Their reaction to finding their art workshop trashed is one of my favorite scenes in the book.

• Locked thread