Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Is there anyway to zoom in one level closer? I know SimuTrans does this but that looks a bit blurgh compared with OpenTTD. I don't mind that'll look a bit pixelly, it's just that the original game was essentially designed for 640x480 to 1024x768 monitors (that's all we had in 1996) and with today's improved screen real estate another zoom layer wouldn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

Is there anyway to zoom in one level closer? I know SimuTrans does this but that looks a bit blurgh compared with OpenTTD. I don't mind that'll look a bit pixelly, it's just that the original game was essentially designed for 640x480 to 1024x768 monitors (that's all we had in 1996) and with today's improved screen real estate another zoom layer wouldn't hurt.

Latest nightly build has two closer levels of zoom.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

The Deadly Hume posted:

You can use the Extra Zoom Levels patch, although it is designed for 32bpp it also works with original graphics.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
That sounds great.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So with the GRFs in the OP, electric tracks cost 10 times as much as regular tracks. Should I be using steam/diesel trains for cargo, then electrify the stations and build seperate faster electric rails for passenger service? Once I've electrified a line is there any reason not to run cargo over electric rails?

It seems like electrics should be faster but not nearly as powerful as some big fat diesel/steam trains, but as it is right now the electric trains are the fastest and the most powerful, and once you've electrified the rails the trains cost about the same to maintain if they're electric or steam/diesel.

Griz
May 21, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

So with the GRFs in the OP, electric tracks cost 10 times as much as regular tracks. Should I be using steam/diesel trains for cargo, then electrify the stations and build seperate faster electric rails for passenger service? Once I've electrified a line is there any reason not to run cargo over electric rails?

It seems like electrics should be faster but not nearly as powerful as some big fat diesel/steam trains, but as it is right now the electric trains are the fastest and the most powerful, and once you've electrified the rails the trains cost about the same to maintain if they're electric or steam/diesel.

I start off by using steam/diesel for everything, build a huge network, get lots of money, then upgrade the whole thing at once. Electric is way too expensive to start off with (and the early engines suck anyway), but after a couple decades they're better than steam/diesel in every way except for initial cost.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I'm on the server in the OP right now, which uses the GRFs in the OP, and costs per rail section for normal, electric, monorail, and maglev are $200, $300, $400, and $600, respectively, so electric rail shouldn't cost ten times as much.

The best strategy depends on when you start, but it usually is to sort industries by production at the top and find the highest-producing coal mine that is between 100 and 150 squares away from any power plant, then build a normal track line for service between the two, put two or three trains on it, and build a statue in the town that the coal mine's station is named after. Keep adding trains to the line so that there is never coal waiting at the station and then, if there are faster trains available on another track type, upgrade the route after you've paid back you loan. The rest of the routes you build should always be built to use the fastest engines, but it turns out that upgrading in the late game isn't as crucial as in the early game (after factoring in maintenance costs, etc. upgrading from the fastest normal rail train to the slowest monorail train approximately doubles a line's profits, but upgrading from the slowest monorail train to the fastest maglev only increases profits by about 15% unless a line is over a five hundred squares in length).

It's actually possible to go straight to maglev with a 100-square coal line and only one train, but I wouldn't recommend it 'cause if you mess up and burn through you maxed-out loan before the line is finished then you'll basically have to start a new game.

Lasse Lillebakken
Jul 23, 2007

请大家闭嘴
Anyone familiar with the City Stations newgrf? I swear I've used it before, but now all the stations in the package are disabled.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lasse Lillebakken posted:

Anyone familiar with the City Stations newgrf? I swear I've used it before, but now all the stations in the package are disabled.

It's probably something to do with other newgrf packages that are interfering in some way with the station tiles in city stations, try slimming down the number of newgrfs or changing the order and see if that helps.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

ERail is only 10x when using the NARS/UKRS train sets.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

less than three posted:

ERail is only 10x when using the NARS/UKRS train sets.

This is what I've got loaded:

Right now in my game a tile of regular rail is $21k and electric is $216k.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FISHMANPET posted:

This is what I've got loaded:

Right now in my game a tile of regular rail is $21k and electric is $216k.

Also likely 2cc does it.

edit: expensive erail is the bomb by the way.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sorry, I meant 2cc not NARS/UKRS.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

less than three posted:

[*] Automated timetable and seperation

Finally got around to looking at timetables, and discovered that this had been put in place. loving amazing, just click the automate button and let the magic happen.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

vactrains are AWESOME

edit: the tracks costs $400,000 per tile, but is totally worth it. A all-power car vactrain has like 280,000 hp (14 cars x 22,000 hp each), costs $2.5m/year to run, and accelerates from 0 to 3,199 km/h in like 2 seconds.

Wedesdo fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 19, 2011

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe

Wedesdo posted:

vactrains are AWESOME

edit: the tracks costs $400,000 per tile, but is totally worth it. A all-power car vactrain has like 280,000 hp (14 cars x 22,000 hp each), costs $2.5m/year to run, and accelerates from 0 to 3,199 km/h in like 2 seconds.

"The future begins with you!"

And one of the trains is called "airline killer", how apt.

No seriously by the time they become available you will be rolling in cash. So a completely straight, end-to-end track is just criminally good at making money.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

For how much they cost, it's enticing to think that it makes sense to set up a shorter vacuum tube route while you save up for longer ones, but don't be fooled: The vacuum tube trains can travel about 1000 squares in 20 days, and no cargo price drops off significantly before 60 days in transit, so a maglev going a sixth the speed on a 500-square route can net you a profit much faster than can vacuum tubes over the same route.

Also, unfortunately, most cargo cannot be transported by vacuum tubes at all, so even if you're in the actual endgame, you still should build more than just the endgame train in most circumstances.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

But the advantage is you only need like 5 vactrains to do the work of 40 maglevs because the vactrains are so drat fast - it's as if there's no transit time at all. This makes train management significantly easier.

Besides, look at this - behold the profit power of vactrains (I'm the white line):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Woah, where do we get these Vactrains? Are they in the version in the OP? What year do they start popping up?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dotcom656 posted:

Woah, where do we get these Vactrains? Are they in the version in the OP? What year do they start popping up?

Yeah they're in the OP. (It'll be in the GRFs if you've played on the multiplayer server at least once.)

The first one is introduced around 2030.

Lasse Lillebakken
Jul 23, 2007

请大家闭嘴
Is there a way to disable the messages about wanting to buy a year's exclusive right to a new vehicle?

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
You dont buy it, it's a prototype variant, it lets you get an advantage over others on upgrading your poo poo.

edit: basically always click yes even if you don't use aircraft, click yes.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Hey, Less than three. Any chance on getting another game going using the ECS Vectors mod? I liked having refineries having capacities and being able to boost production from a resource more quickly than is now possible.

I also remember it cost something like 20,000,000 to fund a new industry which would be cool, because now once maglevs come around, anyone on the server can just fund as many industries as they want for an ideal route.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

less than three posted:

Yeah they're in the OP. (It'll be in the GRFs if you've played on the multiplayer server at least once.)

The first one is introduced around 2030.

I just grabbed them from bananas, but they're not compatible with nutracks :(

I think I'll make the switch anyway, since nutracks kind of missed the point of having different grades of rail (not they're fault, maybe an openttd problem). The problem is you can't run super heavy freight trains on high speed (150+ mph) tracks without paying insane amounts for maintenance. As far as I can tell there's no reason to a set of medium (78 mph) or high speed (112 mph) tracks next to a set of very high speed (above 112 mph) tracks to save on maintenance, unless I'm missing something.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Messed around on the server tonight, but copy pasting a fairly small junction results in me getting kicked for too many actions. Any way to fix that, either on client side or server side?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Messed around on the server tonight, but copy pasting a fairly small junction results in me getting kicked for too many actions. Any way to fix that, either on client side or server side?

There should be some setting on the client to lower the number of actions done by pasting per second, so just raise that a bunch and you shouldn't be kicked.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

Go into your client advanced settings. Somewhere in there is 'multiplayer paste speed' or something. Change it from the default to 10 and you'll be fine.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Server died. My trains!!!!! :negative:

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

I just grabbed them from bananas, but they're not compatible with nutracks :(

Theres a known problem that Nutracks use up all the IDs in the game engine causing (in this case) Vactrains not to load.

The way to fix it is go to NewGRF menu -> select NuTracks -> set parameters -> Set trackset (first row) to "Default tracks" -> done.

Now Vactrains should load up without conflict. However the default track setting on NuTracks causes it not to load any subway tracks.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
Server is down again :( Maybe revert back to the old GRF settings.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Reb posted:

Server is down again :( Maybe revert back to the old GRF settings.

It's back up now. Yeah going to go back to normal industries next game.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

What happened to the server? People finally got bored?

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I was pretty active for a week 'cause of a lull in work but I've been too busy to really play for a few days and will be until at least Wednesday. Also, the couple times I've checked in the past two days, the server's been down, but if it's back up in the new year I'll probably be in there again.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Could just be since christmas is a couple of days away and people have other things to do, much like when the server traffic spikes in the summer when no one has anything better to do.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Willie Trombone posted:

Also, the couple times I've checked in the past two days, the server's been down

The suggestion of using ECS Vectors industries was a disaster, causing the server to crash every [10 minutes-4 hours]

We're back on the TGC cargo set and I assume everything's fine.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
ECS is... messy. I heartily recommend FIRS, though, as it seems like some actual gameplay design has gone into it. The art is also consistently good.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Ah gently caress, It wasn't ECS that we used so much during the summer, it was FIRS. I support getting a game going using it in the future.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

OK, I'm dumb.

Please help me figure out what these error codes mean:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Crackpipe posted:

OK, I'm dumb.

Please help me figure out what these error codes mean:

First one seems to be a problem with the grf itself (if you're using the 1.2RC then it might have something that would work under the old newgrf code but not in the new one) and the second one means you have to go in to your settings and enable 'multiple NewGRF engine sets'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

Wedesdo posted:

What happened to the server? People finally got bored?

I've been playing here and there. Though the server over the last 2-3 days has been laggy with just me in there and kicking me a lot or refusing to connect, in the sense that it starts to load then times out.

• Locked thread