Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

henkman posted:

My brother did something kind of cool at the last competition we went to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OR1gLSnMog&t=100s

Nicely done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Guys from another school were in to spar today. It was fun. Not sure if I can assess the school from one session, but there were some general tendencies.
None of them leading with a low kick ever landed. It was like check city for me. Definitely good practice for me, and hopefully a lesson about needing to disguise the kick more for them. They did pick their punches really well, though. Connect rate to my head was much higher than from guys at our gym. My head movement was nowhere thanks to a stiff back from the sprint workout I had a few days ago, but they were still catching me easily.

One guy landed a nasty body kick that has a couple ribs sore. All in good fun.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Here's something I was typing up for my own benefit. Might as well drop it here to stir up conversation. I'm thinking about switching gyms this year, and made myself up a pros/cons list to try and help me weigh it up. I'd be keen if anyone with cage experience wants to have a look through and give me an opinion. I was thinking of kicking my training up a notch and taking a fight or two at the end of the year. Might as well take a fight or two before I pass my prime. I feel like I'll legitimize myself as a martial artist, even if I scrap MMA and just do BJJ/Judo for the rest of my life. But that's why I'm taking the decision so seriously, I intend to train the hardest I ever have and beat myself into the best shape of my life this year.

Current Gym:

Been open for some years now.
About 20 minutes drive.
Decent but not amazing facilities. Nothing's missing but mat space gets very limited on busy nights.

Wrestling: The wrestling teacher is a weird old USSR escapee. He kinda scares me. He definitely knows his poo poo with regards to wrestling, but I don't like the atmosphere of his classes.

BJJ: Has a black belt, four brown belts, a bunch of purples, etc. Our head coach is a black belt but he's not a particularly good one, he gets his rear end kicked at black-belt level competition. One of our browns is really good, but I have trouble understanding him sometimes, with his thick Brazilian accent. He has trouble explaining concepts sometimes. The black belt is usually a nice guy and his classes have a good atmosphere, but he's a bit weird and two-faced sometimes. He gets in arguments with his fighters and loses them to other gyms regularly over pay disputes and things. He has his browns teach most of the classes.

Striking: The old muay thai teacher was an excellent and world class thai guy, but he spent most of his time on his fight team and didn't care much about his non-competitive students. I also had trouble understanding him a lot of the time. He just left and I think one of his senior students is taking over.

MMA: They have a pretty good record in local MMA, one of the better gyms in the city. But the fight team actually travel around and train at other places/by themselves in their own time, behind the coach's back to supplement their training. That sounds like a lot of effort. Also, the aforementioned politics, the coach is good at upsetting his fighters and making them leave. I think he tries to insist that they teach his classes or something.

New Gym:

Just opened up.
5 minutes driving, or 10 minutes jogging.
Great facilities. They host local MMA shows here, but have just started using it as a space to teach the public as well.

Wrestling: The wrestling teachers are better teachers, and nicer. And closer to my build. They do well at local and national level competition, apparently.

Judo: They're also bringing in a judo teacher this year sometime. I like judo, and I'd no longer have to travel to a separate gym to do it. If the teacher is who I think it will be, he's a beast who crosstrains BJJ and is a decent MMA fighter in his own right, so it'd be judo with a focus on things that are applicable in no-gi.

BJJ: The BJJ teacher is a purple, but a very good purple. He went from blue to purple in 12 months and I saw him dominate the purple division at a local competition this year, with ease. He's also rising pretty fast in MMA, he's
about 6-0 or 7-0 now, I think. He's a nice guy and genuine, very driven.

Striking: I have no idea who's doing the striking, or how good it is, I haven't check it out yet.

MMA: The head teacher guy has a good MMA record, but because the gym is brand new I don't think they have any MMA fighters waving that flag yet. He used to train at my current gym until one of the aforementioned splits. I don't think the politics between the two gyms are hostile, but they're not super-friendly either.

Pros of switch:

Much closer. Easier to get to. Might start making a dramatic difference if I'm training more often than before.
More mat space.
A cage to train in.
Smaller team, more individual attention from coaches.

They seem to integrate the standing wrestling/grappling with the ground stuff in a better way. My standup is practically nonexistent. Classes at my current gym are more segregated, you learn everything at individual classes and then there's a separate "MMA" class a few nights a week if you want to put it together, while the new gym seem to teach each class with a focus on the whole package.

Cons of switch:

Downgrading from a black belt to a purple belt as a BJJ teacher.
Fewer training partners.
Would be leaving behind a few really cool training partners, though I suppose I could head back there for an open mat night every few weeks to stay in touch with them, provided I navigate the intergym politics carefully.

Other/Neutral considerations:

Both gyms are the same price, or extremely close.
Choice is pretty limited with wrestling down here. It's not a cultural thing like it is in the USA and high schools don't teach it or compete in it. (Australia)
I'm only on the lower end of a blue belt, so I still have plenty to learn from a good purple, I guess.
I have dabbled in boxing, muay thai, wrestling and judo. But I've been really inconsistent with all of them, BJJ is definitely my core.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Our head coach is a black belt but he's not a particularly good one, he gets his rear end kicked at black-belt level competition.

I wouldn't focus so much on this unless it is part of a general trend of his students also not competing well. Competition prowess and teaching/coaching prowess are nowhere near as linked as most people believe them to be.

That's also why I wouldn't worry to much about the belt color if you are switching to a club with a purple belt instructor. A purple belt is going to have more than enough knowledge in BJJ to teach. The important part isn't their belt color, it is which one is a better teacher.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I have dabbled in boxing, muay thai, wrestling and judo. But I've been really inconsistent with all of them, BJJ is definitely my core.

In a similar situation. I'm nearly a brown belt in BJJ, been doing it about eight years. With how my schedule works, i'm going to start hitting the Judo club. Talking to some people who do both, it does wonders for your work ethic and will push you to be less lazy with your groundwork.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Stuff

Yeah I had a similar situation recently. (Switching gyms and getting older wanting to try amateur MMA.)

Originally my number one criteria for a gym was pretty much how far it was from my residence. These days, gym drama is included in that equation too. The last thing I want to deal with an aggravating day at work is gym poo poo that pisses me off even more.

I've been wondering about this for a while but for you competitive folks with jobs, what the hell do you for meals?

I wasn't sure if you were asking for advice, but I would go with switching gyms. 5 minutes close to your house is a steal, the fact your current gym loses a lot of fighters its put worked into developing seems terrible.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 30, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
This from a couple of pages ago:

Ligur posted:

today I'ma teach hand blocks to fitness boxers who never spar or even do boxing/sparring drills like from last page nor would ever need to block anything. HOWEVER I secretly hope that at least one or two.. get the striking bug

Xguard86 posted:

I think a ton of people in those groups would actually really enjoy doing real striking and sparring, if they didn't have the social programming that getting hit is like terribly painful and like the worst thing that could ever happen to you.

Syphilis Fish posted:

I've started making them spar with shots to the body only, to start them out. But by gods, that leads to awful hands. Its easy to get into and people quickly accept punches. You are right that they think that a punch is like a death touch or something.

Just piping in that yeah both right, I subbed for a few more "fitness" classes plus the regular ones and I've been easing them to more sparring oriented drills each time as they get comfortable, adding a bit more fight technique instead of just hitting the bag and doing crunches all day.

Say I have the "fitness" boxers first drill something like hand blocks and counters or forehand combinations with partner giving mitts as targets. Then do light contact 3x3 sparring drills (other guy starts with three punches, other one responds, then switching roles), forehand vs forehand rounds or whatever so they get to test the techniques freely and on the way a bit of contact too (hopefully getting over the PUNCH = DEATH fear if such exists). Emphasize how we want them to have very light contact but... still connect. Sure enough some of the guys are REALLY enjoying this stuff. Makes me wonder why are they in the fitness groups all the time to begin with :)

Everyone is really respectful of their partners, don't go apeshit or too hard so it's been cool and feels safe this far.

Granted, some of the people (mostly girls/women who just want aerobics with Savate theme), aren't really into this and that's fine, most of them kick and we have different drills for them anyway.

It'll be fun to see if I still instruct the same class or classes next year, and where'd we go.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

A friend of mine has been trying to convince me to sign up for her dance class for the next 6 months. It's cheap and 5 minutes away from my house. I am considering signing up.

Mainly because I would be able to combine it with 2 hours of boxing/kickboxing right before! Technically I'd have my third BJJ class of the week then, but that class is basically an hour of straight up rolling, so I figured I'd stick to 2x/week for the first few months. This looks like a decent way to stick to that plan, and it's not like the other striking places I've been to are logistically feasible.

Also I find the idea of showing up to a room full of ladies while covered in sweat and possibly bleeding profusely amusing.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Rhaka posted:

A friend of mine has been trying to convince me to sign up for her dance class for the next 6 months.

DO IT. Dancing is awesome, it's full body movement which owns, you have to drill and execute control incorporating strength, balance, coordination, flexibility, moving with a partner and stuff... and AFAIK it's a great way to meet girls too if you want that on the side! :D Like Capo or some fitness club but with less weird that doesn't translate to MA.

A waaay ex-gf who did years of ballet as a teen and then other forms of dancing shows me the best stretching, core/yoga and flexibility exercises to this day when I ask her. She has incredible body control and balance at age of 35+ and can explain these things and their mechanics like nobody.

edit: kinda like why some of the people I know picked up fencing, as it is it's no use to fighting punch-strike, but they learn about distancing combined with counter moving on the side which works very well in other athletic sports like gay french kick fighting for example.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 30, 2011

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Ligur posted:

Makes me wonder why are they in the fitness groups all the time to begin with :)
It's the misconception that if you go to an actual boxing class you'll get your head punched off by a big burly man.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Illegal Username posted:

It's the misconception that if you go to an actual boxing class you'll get your head punched off by a big burly man.

Just enrolled to a boxing course for the next year, in addition to asfasfaadfDFG and all the rest. Hope I have the time to really pull it off.

mewse
May 2, 2006

boxing owns

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo, a month or two ago a made a post in this thread to the tune of "I met a lazy man today". It was about a guy who simply said "NO" when I asked a group to do a calisthenic exercise and I asked him why not. (He was very "large" and out of shape.)

Well I subbed for a class today and met him again. I almost didn't recognized the dude. After talking to him, I don't like to ask personal questions usually, I found out he's lost something to the tune of 60lbs+ in 3-4 months.

:stare:

Sounds loving unlikely but now that I've seen him before/after yeah, he probably did. He completely changed his diet, enrolled to a basic course in gay fitness french boxing and in addition attended every single extra class he could outside of the basics - and that's poo poo most people who've been enjoying the coach potato lifestyle rarely do, he'd be there every single time even if it was raining cats and dogs. And he pulled through and did every loving torturous exercise to the finish today. Feel good story of the year for me. Guy looked 400% healthier than he did in October.

I wish I could have him as a poster boy whenever someone whines they can't lose weight or get in shape because genetics/metabolism/time/whatever.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
This may be a long shot, but has anyone heard of Beach Cities Krav Maga? They're pretty drat close to where I live and I was thinking about giving it a shot.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Not to be a tard, but what are you expecting from Krav Maga before you jump in?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I find the video on that site kinda funny.

"Unlike other martial arts, our martial art is based on technique, not strength."
*cut to footage of really lovely boxing done sloppily but super aggressively*

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Alright, I am going to be going into the military in 6 months and I am trying to focus on getting in the best shape possible in that timeframe. In addition to lifting and running I want to incorporate some form of martial arts, considering its good exercise and having some extra "combatitives" experience can't hurt.

I've been considering Sambo since I just really enjoy watching the style, but it is probably hard to find a legit place that teaches it in the US. From my (admittedly novice) perspective it looks pretty similar in form to Judo, so should I look into that instead? Or should I just do the whole MMA BJJ thing?

I'm not expecting whatever martial art I train in to carry over to the military or anything, but having calisthenic exercise similar to what I will experience and having some basic knowledge about grappling and the physiology behind the sport sounds like a decent take-away from it all.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah I'd just do mma.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
The cheapest thing is almost always Judo but MMA sounds like it suits your goal way more. If you want maximum cardio conditioning, then you should focus on that alone but it will probably be more benefit to you overall to do a martial art as opposed to nothing but boring treadmill poo poo. If you've been doing only light or no exercise up until now its going to be one hell of a shock to your system in terms of soreness. Make sure you adjust your food and sleep accordingly, i.e. more of both.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
The Beach Cities Krav Maga video looks like movie fight choreography.. to me, every attacker is "countered" flawlessly, and it looks like the force used in those "attacks" seems on the order of 10-20% if there is actual contact involved, and most of it is simulated. It seems more of a watered down, ISRAELI MILITARY cardio martial arts. Around 0:42 seconds is the most egregious: *Gets out of hold, turns around and strikes air near attacker four times, who promptly cringes in fear and is incapacitated*

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Ligur posted:

DO IT.

And I did! Signed up, first classes (dancing, boxing, kickboxing) next week. Should be amusing.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Alright, I am going to be going into the military in 6 months and I am trying to focus on getting in the best shape possible in that timeframe. In addition to lifting and running I want to incorporate some form of martial arts, considering its good exercise and having some extra "combatitives" experience can't hurt.

I've been considering Sambo since I just really enjoy watching the style, but it is probably hard to find a legit place that teaches it in the US. From my (admittedly novice) perspective it looks pretty similar in form to Judo, so should I look into that instead? Or should I just do the whole MMA BJJ thing?

I'm not expecting whatever martial art I train in to carry over to the military or anything, but having calisthenic exercise similar to what I will experience and having some basic knowledge about grappling and the physiology behind the sport sounds like a decent take-away from it all.

In that timeframe you're not going to become an adept or anything, so I'd just go to a couple clubs of whatever arts your interested in and decide which one fits you best. Judo or BJJ will probably be your best bets though, especially since lots of clubs throw around the term "MMA" when they're really just a Taekwondo club that awkwardly wrestles occasionally.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

AbdominalSnowman posted:

If money is an issue go with Judo, but I think it will be easier to get a base in BJJ in six months than it will be to start throwing people all around in six months.

That is to say, I don't think you'll be super good at either in six months, but in my experience, Judo has a much steeper learning curve than BJJ.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Comrade_Robot posted:

If money is an issue go with Judo, but I think it will be easier to get a base in BJJ in six months than it will be to start throwing people all around in six months.

That is to say, I don't think you'll be super good at either in six months, but in my experience, Judo has a much steeper learning curve than BJJ.

I think this is a good summary. 6 month of BJJ will probably give you more than 6 month of judo, but both will give you a good work out and but you quite ahead of someone completely new to grappling.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mwiV8qbCfiU#t=104s

They key to a proper armbar is doing a Hulk Hogan style leg drop on the way down.

Triple attack position, what's that?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I trained Krav Maga for about a year before moving on to MMA and submission wrestling. It was good fun and I think I learned some useful stuff, like to run away as soon as you get the chance, how to throw a decent straight punch and that defending against a knife attack is really not something I think I'll ever want to try in real life. It seems like the quality of training really really varies though. From pretty decent and simple self defence training with a decent level of force used during practice to movie combat cardio classes. The video above looked worringly like the latter.

The most fun drill we did was stolen from a guy named Mick Coup. It looked like this.

Not very cinematic but fun.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

This may be a long shot, but has anyone heard of Beach Cities Krav Maga? They're pretty drat close to where I live and I was thinking about giving it a shot.

Yeah, there are quite a few alarm bells here. Krav can be kind of awful, but it can also be pretty cool, depending on the school.

The problems with Krav are thus:

1. A few years ago Krav became trendy, but there weren't enough instructors to meet the demand, so one of the major organizations started giving out credentials allowing people to teach after only a few months of training, leading to a big organizational split and an overall drop in the quality of training.

2. You have to think through what an army needs in a combatives system. The Israeli army don't break into your house and fight you hand to hand, they fire a missile at you from a helicopter. If that fails, they shoot you. A combatives program like this really exists to make sure that your soldiers develop confidence at all ranges of fighting so that they won't panic when they land in a type of fighting they haven't been trained for. They teach you enough that you'll have an idea what to do, but not enough that you'll actually be particularly good at it.

3. It has to be something that can be taught in a couple of weeks. Somebody in this thread met some Israelis who had done their year of service and they said they'd barely done two weeks of it, and were taken back that it was a big worldwide thing.

Krav has some upsides. It's fast to learn, it can be a pretty brutal workout (or a pathetic one, varies from gym to gym), a few people in this thread really enjoy the striking aspect of it, and some of the conceptual stuff about self defense that they teach is cool. There are also some gyms that incorporate a wider MMA style fighting curriculum within the Krav framework, they have boxing and grappling coaches who teach alongside the pure Krav guys, etc. But the the gym you posted looks more like a money grab that'll convince you that you know how to fight while not actually making you any good at fighting. The video showed a bunch of lovely boxing, some sloppy throws, and an armbar that looks more like something from Tekken than an actual armlock. All the fighting in it looks extensively choreographed, more like watching a dance video than people training to fight. Any knife or gun defences taught to you by a school like that are going to get you killed where you otherwise might have survived by just complying with an attacker. Krav isn't bad by definition, but it has to be assessed entirely on a school by school basis.

That "technique, not strength" catchphrase repeated throughout the video is used by every single loving martial art, especially the dodgy ones like wing chun and aikido which don't work at all. I can't think of one martial art that doesn't make that claim. Even something like wrestling which looks like a pair of methed up bears biting each other is still an extremely technical pursuit. When they say "Unlike other martial arts..." what the hell are they talking about? Rex Kwon Do? Ameri-Do-Te? I'd be extremely dubious of that place.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah, there are quite a few alarm bells here. Krav can be kind of awful, but it can also be pretty cool, depending on the school.

The problems with Krav are thus:

1. A few years ago Krav became trendy, but there weren't enough instructors to meet the demand, so one of the major organizations started giving out credentials allowing people to teach after only a few months of training, leading to a big organizational split and an overall drop in the quality of training.

I'm one of the dudes who 02-6611-0142-1 mentioned that liked the striking aspect of krav maga. I do MMA now because I found a thai boxing teacher I love.

I used to say I loved my old krav gym. I was there about 10 hours a week. I trained pretty hard and I have no problem saying I was one of the better practitioners there. This makes me sound like a dick, but it was a statement of fact.

I moved to Dallas in August and one of the head dudes from the major krav maga association swung by and a bunch of my old training partners (all of whom had trained for less time than me, including a guy who's only been training for 6 months) got krav certified and are now teaching.

Remember how I said I'm at an MMA gym now? I'm the worst guy there. The absolute worst. I get my rear end stomped every single day I'm there.

I am less than enthused about my old krav gym now. I still love one or two of the old teachers and think they're bad dudes but the gym? Meh.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 3, 2012

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
I was looking for a place to practice and learn around where I live. My goal is to learn something that is highly effective without the bs.

I live very close to Sea-Town SAMBO in Seattle. I've heard some pretty good things; what do you guys think?

Also, I don't have any experience with Sambo. How is the art? I also happen to be a pretty small guy (like 160lbs 5'7"). How will it work for me? Thanks in advance.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

skystream92 posted:

I was looking for a place to practice and learn around where I live. My goal is to learn something that is highly effective without the bs.

I live very close to Sea-Town SAMBO in Seattle. I've heard some pretty good things; what do you guys think?

Also, I don't have any experience with Sambo. How is the art? I also happen to be a pretty small guy (like 160lbs 5'7"). How will it work for me? Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by effective?

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

niethan posted:

What do you mean by effective?

Basically looking for something that is more "self defense" than cardio/competition.

Quick Edit: I should probably clarify. I come from a primarily CMA background, so I have seen a LOT of bad teachers who teach stuff that doesn't work. However, I have also had GREAT teachers who have a very "hands-on" approach, so I realize it all comes down to the individual teacher more than anything else for determining the effectiveness of your training. So my question is more twofold: One, how is Sea-town Sambo? How are the instructors?

The second part is, I also realize that some arts are very difficult to apply, and are almost regarded as "not very practical" (such as Tai Chi). That was the intent of my second question, "How is Sambo as an art?" I don't have much experience with it, so I can only ask the question.

Thanks for any advice.

skystream92 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 3, 2012

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

AFAIK Sambo depends entirely which form of competition you choose. Sometimes there is striking, sometimes not. I feel like if you're not looking to compete, you're not going to enjoy grappling MAs due to the heavy emphasis on competition.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage
I have a friend who is looking to start up martial arts and has been looking at a few different websites of gyms in the Melbourne Australia area but it's always so hard to work out whether a gym is decent or not.

I remember a goon recommended a gym in Malvern when I was looking for a gym a few years ago and was wondering if he was still around or if anyone knew of any decent gyms in said area.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

skystream92 posted:

This place sounds pretty cool. They're recognized by the ASA which I believe is the only Sambo body in the US. It has the signs of being a friendly but serious place to train. http://www.ussambo.com/sambo_school_nat_asa_members.html

some website posted:

Aaron Fields is the head instructor for the Seattle Jujutsu and SAMBO Club. His combative background is based in jujutsu, Russian SAMBO, and judo. He has lived and trained in the former Eastern Block. In addition, he practices a koryu, or classical Japanese combative.

The club is not a commercial venture; we are a community of individuals with a passion for rolling about on a mat. We maintain a high quality to practice via maintaining a high quality of persons within the club. We are afforded the luxury of ensuring all our members are a good fit for the club itself. We are always open to visitors and new members.

This all looks really good. I think the Sambo you usually find outside Russia is the judo/wrestling hybrid. Focused more on leglocks than BJJ, and has more of a standing emphasis than BJJ, but when they compete they often just enter BJJ tournaments because there's plenty of crossover. Cool stuff. I think you'll find it's right up your alley based on the criteria you laid down. Check it out.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

swmmrmanshen posted:

I feel like if you're not looking to compete, you're not going to enjoy grappling MAs due to the heavy emphasis on competition.

I don't agree with that at all. A good school/teacher will have classes that are accessible and enjoyable for both competing and non competing practitioners, and tho I'm not familiar with sport sambo rules, I think training under the BJJ point system is useful because it encourages positional improvement that makes sense for both MMA and self defense (pass, mount, hit them in the face or take the back and choke).

Unrelated to that, I overheard my teacher talking to one of his brown belts saying I'm almost ready for blue belt :) Not a big deal, but he doesn't say much to me besides the occasional "nice sweep" or whatever, so it's nice to know that he is happy with my progression. I've only been training 7 months, but I've been training HARD. always first on the mat and last off

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

quote:

the triple attack position refers to getting into a high guard of some kind and moving between triangle/omoplata/armbar (not always that order or sequence) to catch your opponent.

It can also refer to the mount or back position where you can choke, shoulder lock, or armbar.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mwiV8qbCfiU#t=104s

They key to a proper armbar is doing a Hulk Hogan style leg drop on the way down.

I cannot stop laughing at this. If I knew how i'd make a gif of it.

Wouldn't doing a Hogan Smash like that a. really increase the chance of an accident during training and b. hurt like gently caress if you did it on something that is not a mat.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Antinumeric posted:

Wouldn't doing a Hogan Smash like that a. really increase the chance of an accident during training and b. hurt like gently caress if you did it on something that is not a mat.

If you land on the dude with your legs it shouldn't hurt to much the problem is that he's very obviously not controlling the body so the other dude can do any number of poo poo to get out.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Yeah but his legs are up in the air at the end of the clip, which says to me he landed with his entire bodyweight on his arse/back. I hadn't even thought about how bad the control was.

For actual content, I'm going to be going to this gym someone mentioned earlier. Does anyone know anything about it? It looks pretty legit. But I don't know, it could be like that krav place :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Antinumeric posted:

Looking at this video isn't he also doing heel kicks while doing the arm bar after he landed on the ground? This will certainly make the arm bar more effective.

• Locked thread