Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
SFxT is going to have car crash factor going for it, I think. Also, :lol: SFxT, I called that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Your statement doesn't make sense.

As in, SG is made by the community, for the community, for tournaments, and the very same "diehards" who know what it is are the ones, you know, going to Evo. And listening to a podcast about what games are going to be at Evo.

That's like saying, "You're a little bit overcome with fanboyism if you thought the Mirror Universe would get mentioned in the Star Trek Encyclopedia. No one outside of the diehards know what that refers to."

That's a terrible example as people know that a beards on a clean shaven character makes them evil almost entirely because of the mirror universe.

Even then, Skullgirls probably wouldn't have the same sign up numbers as all of the games listed for Evo anyway.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does MK9 still have a community? I haven't seen a stream of it in months, and the last I heard about it was Arturo appearing on some podcast explaining why it was almost dead.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Loose posted:

As in, SG is made by the community, for the community, for tournaments, and the very same "diehards" who know what it is are the ones, you know, going to Evo. And listening to a podcast about what games are going to be at Evo.

That's like saying, "You're a little bit overcome with fanboyism if you thought the Mirror Universe would get mentioned in the Star Trek Encyclopedia. No one outside of the diehards know what that refers to."
Counterpoint: eSports.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I just got bodied 0-24 versus a Birdie player on GGPO. Someone explain Alpha 3 to me (and tell me there's hope for everyone).

The Rokstar posted:

Counterpoint: eSports.
Aligned counterpoint: mr "wizard"

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
MK9 has a community still. It's a community that would be much improved by somebody setting Tom Brady on fire, though.

Of course SFxT is getting into EVO over SkullGirls, it will probably have the third most entrants of all six games. Sucks, but it makes sense.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Roguelike posted:

Does MK9 still have a community? I haven't seen a stream of it in months, and the last I heard about it was Arturo appearing on some podcast explaining why it was almost dead.

It still draws reasonably large numbers, there just isn't a lot of crossover between players of the Capcom stuff and MK, and if you're not actively watching the MK scene boards you probably won't hear about a lot of the big events/streams.

The MK scene is like 40% 3D FG guys (including crap like SC and DOA, and the people who actually took the 3D MK games seriously), 40% casual MK fans who act like Smash fans and complain about being expected to share events with CRAPCOM games or whatever, and the rest are old-school dudes who've been playing UMK3 for twenty years, or newcomers who don't suck.

MK's getting a re-release in a few months with all the DLC on the disc, I guess that's reason enough to bring it back (as long as they patch that poo poo).

EDIT: re: Skullgirls, that poo poo was never gonna make it without a solid release date.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

InnercityGriot posted:

MK9 has a community still. It's a community that would be much improved by somebody setting Tom Brady on fire, though.
I need to find like a little old 10-inch black and white TV or something because I want to do parody Bradycasts SO BAD.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Broken Loose posted:

lol that you think even half of the people at Evo are "diehards". Evo is the tournament for the casual-competitive crowd which is why it gets probably quadruple the people of the next largest major. See how many people on SRK talk about going to Evo as their first tournament and haven't even been to local casuals.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 4, 2012

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
SkullGirls looks really cool but I'd be pretty shocked if its community got as big as BlazBlue's or even GGXX AC's years after the last update to the game, and those games aren't going to be major games at Evo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

scuz posted:

I just got bodied 0-24 versus a Birdie player on GGPO. Someone explain Alpha 3 to me (and tell me there's hope for everyone).

I don't get that game either. But it's Birdie, so I'll just go with pick X-Sim, enjoy your normals.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Roguelike posted:

Does MK9 still have a community?

They show up to majors.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Broken Loose posted:

Unfortunately, SG is also without a release date. The main game isn't finished yet, and there's still the issue of getting it through XBLA/PSN acceptance testing hell. "Early 2012" doesn't really cut it when there's a good chance that release window will slip right on by.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Man, gently caress Tom Brady, we need to get our nickels together and get Wayne Brady to do color commentary for a fighting game tourney.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wayne Brady and Michael Cera, believe it comrades.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
Goku, and Vegeta. Doing commentary.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Big Bear, doin' commentary. :D :D

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

ZerodotJander posted:

SkullGirls looks really cool but I'd be pretty shocked if its community got as big as BlazBlue's or even GGXX AC's years after the last update to the game, and those games aren't going to be major games at Evo.

Skullgirls is gonna flop because it doesn't have Ryu, Jin, Scorpion, or Magneto in it. Calling it.

:smith:

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Countblanc posted:

Big Bear, doin' commentary. :D :D

He goes by Raiden now, scrub.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's also DD-exclusive, and is 2D (and "anime" [no this isn't a thing I think]), and all the characters are women, and the roster is small, and there's no epic story mode or create-a-character, but this game doesn't need to sell three million copies to be a "success" - if it's good and it's picked up by all the big tournament/streams then it'll sell well enough to ensure we'll get another one, and it'll make other smaller/indie devs take notice. That's enough.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I really hope literally nobody signs up for SFxT and they have to can it.

For vanilla SF4 :unsmigghh:

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
gonna lol when the MBAACC side tournament gets double the entrants of mk9

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Popehoist posted:

You're an idiot

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I wonder what the ruleset is gonna look like for SFxT? No gems allowed?? They said on the podcast it might be a team thing? That would be kinda fun to watch/play in I guess.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So for some reason a localization company I've never heard of called "7Sixty" is localizing the 360 fighter Phantom Breaker. I think I played the demo from Japan's XBL for like 5 minutes and it didn't seem all that special but hey there you go.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Skullgirls is a hopelessly niche fighting game, with embarrassing, unimpressive visuals. This isn't a game anyone can really expect to be big at EVO.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Every page. Every loving page. Someone make a SG thread already.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Cat Machine posted:

I wonder what the ruleset is gonna look like for SFxT? No gems allowed?? They said on the podcast it might be a team thing? That would be kinda fun to watch/play in I guess.

If they do cross fever for SF x T that might actually be cool as hell to watch.

Of course now I said it, it's not going to happen :sigh:

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
Woooo, MK made it in, see y'all at Evo :toot:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sex Vicar posted:

If they do cross fever for SF x T that might actually be cool as hell to watch.

Of course now I said it, it's not going to happen :sigh:
I would really love them to go all out at this point and just allow every kind of gem + other tacked-on feature.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Popehoist posted:

That would be funny. Not gonna happen, but hey.

Also, I don't know what the hell is up with the MBAACC launcher, it reads my TE perfectly well, but not my DS3 for other players. Even with the thirty billion drivers I had to put in to get it to be recognized in the first place. Bah.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Popehoist posted:

This will never, ever happen.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Every page. Every loving page. Someone make a SG thread already.

Yes, please.

Kinda disappointed that they don't have BB this year. I don't play it myself but the anime playing crowd are probably a bit disappointed. Isn't the newest version coming out for console in a couple of month? Nice to see KoF13 and Soul Calibur 5 in there anyway.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Tekken didn't make it to EVO. What happen :ssh:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

von Braun posted:

Yes, please.

Kinda disappointed that they don't have BB this year. I don't play it myself but the anime playing crowd are probably a bit disappointed. Isn't the newest version coming out for console in a couple of month? Nice to see KoF13 and Soul Calibur 5 in there anyway.

It's already out across the pond. There are a couple of idiots (including myself) who imported it. But it really doesn't have a following anymore.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

whip posted:

Tekken didn't make it to EVO. What happen :ssh:
Yeah, I figured Tekken was a lock. Is it just because of the release date of TTT2 screwing them over like BB:CS did a few years back?

I'm not ready to completely write off Evo though. It still has KOFXIII, and KOFXIII is the hypest game since Marvel 2.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Have lineups ever changed from the initial announcement?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Yeah, even if SG didn't make it, EVO still has KoF and two new games. Even if they are gonna be terrible, we still get something new.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

AXE COP posted:

I really hope literally nobody signs up for SFxT and they have to can it.

For MVC2 :unsmigghh:
Fixed that for you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

The Rokstar posted:

Yeah, I figured Tekken was a lock. Is it just because of the release date of TTT2 screwing them over like BB:CS did a few years back?
Maybe they just didn't want to have two different 3D Namco fighters as main games.

• Locked thread