Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

M.C. McMic posted:

Understood.

It's less a matter of whether or not I've made it clear and more a matter of what you choose to believe, which is perfectly fine. I'd be skeptical of someone who doesn't know much on the subject to begin with as well. ;)

at best it's legal but not cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
The elbow/forearm in the throat sounds pretty typical I think.

Are you allowed to tickle your opponent though? That could be useful.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

origami posted:

Are you allowed to tickle your opponent though? That could be useful.

It's tough to tickle anyone through a thick gi, but we definitely make each other laugh a lot where I roll.

My old instructor used to like getting to side control and playing the washboard up and down my ribs with his chin until I found a way to escape. Believe me, that's a humiliating place to be when you're stuck there and someone is just loving with you.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
So I bet my thai boxer friend on New years to enter a grappling competition (he has no training) and it was today. He lost of course but it was fun, he didn't get subbed and lost on points to the guy who eventually got gold in his weight division so he did alright.

It was pretty cool to try to give him a crash course in BJJ in just a couple hours the night before the tournament, and coach him on the mats. He actually listened pretty well, probably used to getting corner instructions in muay thai. It was really fun shouting at him step by step how to move his body parts in order to get out of the other guy's white belt-level sub attempts. I'll try to get the video up if someone remembered to record it

And since every GBS post needs a moral, the moral of this one is if you are a white belt who has been training for a bunch of months you should stop being a pussy and go compete, you wont get hurt and its the quickest way to find out how you need to improve, plus its fun and you get to touch strange new men instead of the ones from your gym

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
You guys said making it down to the first session was 90% of the battle. Walking out of the first session after the first real exercise in a year and a half was the real battle.

We did freestyle wrestling and were shown how to do something called the "double leg takedown" and I was well, a total beginner and poo poo. Christ I could spend days perfecting that move; I can see in my mind every little thing I did wrong and it still makes me cringe.

Also I trimmed my nails before I went but missed a spot and accidentally cut someone :ohdear: I apologised profusely but I still feel bad about that.

Really everyone was nice the atmosphere was great and I had a good time and can't wait till I can actually walk back.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Antinumeric posted:

the "double leg takedown" . Christ I could spend days perfecting that move

Haha

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Antinumeric posted:

Christ I could spend the next few years trying to become decent at that move;

I fixed that one for you.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Haha, I swore I typed years.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Antinumeric posted:

You guys said making it down to the first session was 90% of the battle. Walking out of the first session after the first real exercise in a year and a half was the real battle.

We did freestyle wrestling and were shown how to do something called the "double leg takedown" and I was well, a total beginner and poo poo. Christ I could spend days perfecting that move; I can see in my mind every little thing I did wrong and it still makes me cringe.

Also I trimmed my nails before I went but missed a spot and accidentally cut someone :ohdear: I apologised profusely but I still feel bad about that.

Really everyone was nice the atmosphere was great and I had a good time and can't wait till I can actually walk back.

Welcome to grappling! Prepare to be addicted and still think you suck at everything even after a few years of obsessive training!

Nails that cut people will happen even if you make sure you cut them before every class so don't sweat it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

you should probably ask and make sure they're not teaching you the british version

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Haha, speaking of nails I remember once when we were stretching, I just brutally sliced open my finger with my own toenail. After that I went and cut my nails because god, they werent even that long but it just sliced through my finger like it was a razor blade.

Is it sad that when I train regularily I make sure to shave, and cut my nails for the sake of my partners but I almost never shave for my girlfriend who is always complaining about scratching her? I guess once I train again itll be a win-win for her but kind of funny about how priorities go.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
to be fair Dan Henderson is an Olympic level wrestler, that shot is not "gracie lean" bad. Bisping could probably wrestle gently caress the other 99.9% of the planet that isn't professional cage fighters.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

mewse posted:

you should probably ask and make sure they're not teaching you the british version

That's what it looked like I was doing, not what I should have been doing. I kept getting told to not give my head.

edit: oh I get it. :(

swagger like us posted:

Haha, speaking of nails I remember once when we were stretching, I just brutally sliced open my finger with my own toenail. After that I went and cut my nails because god, they werent even that long but it just sliced through my finger like it was a razor blade.

Jesus christ tell me about it. When we were kids two of my friends were wrestling to see who got the seat and one nicked the other's throat. He barely moved his foot too.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 5, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Three years of BJJ and my double leg still looks like an old man slowly leaning over to try and pick up something he dropped, stopping halfway to catch his breath

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Folkstyle wrestling is really the only place where you'll really learn and develop a great doubleleg.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
oh god first judo class since december 23th! Felt so good and holy poo poo, it's crazy how ~2 weeks of total inactivity will wreck your cardio.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I think I have it set up to do Judo 6 days a week this semester.

Sunday 1-3
Monday 8-10 AM
Tuesday 1230-130
Wednesday 8-10 AM
Thursday 1230-130
Friday 8-10 3-5(maybe) then 7-845 (maybe)

Booyah. This semester is gonna rock.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ugh, my jab is nowhere to be seen, and my punch range is totally outta whack. I think part of it is reservation about getting into range to get hit on my eye, thanks to my eye injury.

But I have a cure for this. Our gym has bags mounted in sliding rails. When the place is less busy, I drive one of the smaller bags up and down the track. The drill is
jab jab slip inside
jab jab weave outside
I step forward on every motion and keep the bag at the end of my reach. A few times with this and my jab is back. Once I get that tuned up, I need to overhaul my cross.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Three years of BJJ and my double leg still looks like an old man slowly leaning over to try and pick up something he dropped, stopping halfway to catch his breath

lol

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Submission grapplers are the nicest dudes. Just took my second lesson, and it seems like the gym is full of dudes who are 100% committed to helping out new guys. I just keep my mouth shut, do what I'm shown and try to keep my arms in t-rex position.

Also there is a deaf guy who submitted Mark Kerr; that's pretty fun.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Submission grapplers are the nicest dudes. Just took my second lesson, and it seems like the gym is full of dudes who are 100% committed to helping out new guys. I just keep my mouth shut, do what I'm shown and try to keep my arms in t-rex position.

Also there is a deaf guy who submitted Mark Kerr; that's pretty fun.

I've found the same thing at all places I've trained. Most instructors/higher level students really welcome beginners who listen and enjoy the class and have no ego and it comes across in how they teach.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

For anyone that's in the military, do they teach you any fighting techniques? (Not counting poo poo like the Navy Seals and such, I'm talking about people just starting off in the military).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

For anyone that's in the military, do they teach you any fighting techniques? (Not counting poo poo like the Navy Seals and such, I'm talking about people just starting off in the military).

I'm not in the military but the short answer is: "yes, but not much". Like a week, maybe two.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

to be fair Dan Henderson is an Olympic level wrestler, that shot is not "gracie lean" bad. Bisping could probably wrestle gently caress the other 99.9% of the planet that isn't professional cage fighters.

True, but he did a ton of things really wrong (not a straight back, reaching, too far away etc). Europeans loving suck at wrestling. I had to go to the Netherlands after training BJJ here for 3 years and I raped everyone at wrestling, it was stupid. I super duper suck here. I can't get a takedown in any tournament. There? I took down everyone at will. I even did fancy takedowns just because I could.

I'm back in the USA now. And I loving super suck at wrestling.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Syphilis Fish posted:

True, but he did a ton of things really wrong (not a straight back, reaching, too far away etc)

True, I think his #1 mistake was shooting with no setup, from that far and the rest of the problems were simply the result.

One thing that I have learned in my limited standup training is that an ugly shot that is really well setup will work, and great shot with no setup will crash and burn.

Someone post that .gif of Rashad punching and then old man doubling rampage.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

True, I think his #1 mistake was shooting with no setup, from that far and the rest of the problems were simply the result.

One thing that I have learned in my limited standup training is that an ugly shot that is really well setup will work, and great shot with no setup will crash and burn.

Someone post that .gif of Rashad punching and then old man doubling rampage.

Amazingly true. We have an ex college wrestler who's an amateur fighter now, and in just grappling his takedowns used to be unstoppable. In MMA they just suck because he doesn't set them up with strikes or anything like that. I get my shots in MMA because I set them up with strikes/put their hands/attention upstairs.

Sorry to self promote but:
http://www.fightstartv.com/videos/thomas-uylenbroek-vs-denny-peters/

(I'm red shorts)

I didn't stop his shot well enough because I was lazy and did not think he could get me, but I guess, look at the difference in work we do for our takedown.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Syphilis Fish posted:

Were elbows allowed in this fight? If they were, my advice is... more elbows. You had lots of great opportunities. Good job anyways.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Syphilis Fish posted:

True, but he did a ton of things really wrong (not a straight back, reaching, too far away etc). Europeans loving suck at wrestling. I had to go to the Netherlands after training BJJ here for 3 years and I raped everyone at wrestling, it was stupid. I super duper suck here. I can't get a takedown in any tournament. There? I took down everyone at will. I even did fancy takedowns just because I could.

I'm back in the USA now. And I loving super suck at wrestling.

Did you ever wrestle? I never did except a year in like third grade, but uve always figured that since we get to train with so many wrestlers it would give us americans a leg up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dangersim posted:

Did you ever wrestle? I never did except a year in like third grade, but uve always figured that since we get to train with so many wrestlers it would give us americans a leg up.

Well, consider that even a guy who stopped wrestling after high school still had, at a bare minimum, 4 years of intensive training with dozens of workout partners doing the same thing. Any decent high school wrestling team is training harder than anybody but a handful of proffesional MMA guys for 4-5 months out of the year. And most grappling clubs of any kind in the US are going to be full of guys like that. They might not train at anywhere near that level anymore, but they still have a lot of ingrained technique as well as a wrestler's mentality.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Syphilis Fish posted:

Europeans loving suck at wrestling.

I suspect it varies a ton from country to country really. Holland doesn't have a wrestling tradition. Sweden, where I'm from, and Finland have very strong greco roman traditions, second and third in olympic medal counts respectively, and Germany and a few former eastern European countries are pretty good as well. I imagine, as MMA grows, we'll see good wrestlers from these countries going to MMA.

I know, from the tiny amount I've trained, that wrestling is highly emphasized here, and there are several wrestlers, like former world champion Martin Lidberg, who are working fairly extensively with the MMA pros we've got.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
There's a fairly strong greco roman tradition in the northern parts of Norway as well (maybe the rest of it too, but who cares about anything south of the artic circle?) but my impression is that it doesn't translate as well to MMA and grappling as freestyle or folk wrestling does, since you're not allowed to go for the legs in greco roman- you miss out on stuff like leg drags and all leg-related takedowns, which seems to be one of the major advantages of an american wrestler.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bohemian Nights posted:

There's a fairly strong greco roman tradition in the northern parts of Norway as well (maybe the rest of it too, but who cares about anything south of the artic circle?) but my impression is that it doesn't translate as well to MMA and grappling as freestyle or folk wrestling does, since you're not allowed to go for the legs in greco roman- you miss out on stuff like leg drags and all leg-related takedowns, which seems to be one of the major advantages of an american wrestler.

Freestyle and collegiate wrestling might be better, but Greco is still a good base to have, not least because of the insane conditioning and strength base those guys have, and compared to places like Britain, Holland and Italy, where wrestling of any kind is virtually non existent having good greco trainers should be a major benefit.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Re-post from the grappling thread.

I'm having trouble on where to go from a successful sprawl. I just kind of hang on and try to come up with something and lose position in the process. I won't get to see my wrestling coach for a few days and wanted to see if you guys had some advice to give.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
For someone like me who has wrestled for about 3-4 hours in his life, the difference of greco/olympic/collegiate/folk/acid/dubstep/UK-carage -wrestling styles seem almost like an arcane lore.

I honestly have NO idea how they differ.

In fact for me, it is an arcane lore. What are the differences? Where do you get to train this stuff? Why is something good and something bad from, say, the MMA POV? Why is folkstyle good for catch and greco for cage fighting? Or is it the other way around?!

I know that greco wrestlers are good at clinching from standup position and dirty box pretty well, or at least I think so, and that high level high school and collegiate wrestlers are tremendous endurance and strength athletes but that's more or less the start and end of my wrestling knowledge after the fact wrestling seems to be the best all around base for being a cage martial artists/combat sportsman (and I might be wrong about that too).

edit: oh and hahaha childhood anecdote, when I was a kid I once fought a wrestler in the school yard, and after the dust settled figured out anyone who wrestlers is the last person I ever want to fight in any situation ever again, he never punched me like other kids we fought, but instead threw and manhandled me around like I weighed 30lbs and he was the Hulk or something and were about the same height. Then I went home and read about Alexander Karelin and started thinking wrestlers were way cooler than Bruce Lee.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 7, 2012

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, the main difference between greco-roman on one hand and freestyl/folkstyle/collegiate on the other is that greco doesn't allow attacks below the waist, which means things like single and double leg takedowns are out which might be why Greco could be better for clinch work, I guess. All styles will focus heavily on cardio and strength.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

im dumb about wrestling

i don't know anything about wrestling either but i just assumed "greco-roman" was a euphemism for olympic style wrestling which is what they train in the american high school/college programs

e: VVVVVVVVVVVV yeah see, i am ignorant

mewse fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 7, 2012

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Greco-roman and freestyle are both olympic sports.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The difference between freestyle and greco is similar to the difference between Judo and BJJ. Fairly similar overall with most differences coming from how matches are scored. Both are highly technical and focus on explosive techniques. Folkstyle is very different and has much more emphasis on strength and controling your opponent rather than explosive moves.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So I need some opinions on heavy bag and speed bag equipment.

I live in an apartment and I've been wanting to get something so I can at least do some bag work in my free time. (I can't make the normal sessions for kickboxing/boxing with my current work schedule.)

I'm trying to decide between getting one of those speed bags that mount to the wall. (Donating it to my apartment complex's fitness center.) Or buying freestanding unit (heavy and speed) and using that in my apartment.

The problem I have with the free standing frames is that they seem to really wobble quite a bit. Has anyone used a speed bag set up on one of them? If so how did it work out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DekeThornton posted:

Greco-roman and freestyle are both olympic sports.

mewse posted:

for olympic style wrestling which is what they train in the american high school/college programs

American folkstyle is different yet again to freestyle. Though arguably closer to it than Greco.
As Thoguh said, the riding aspect of folkstyle can be a big boon to MMA transition.

Senor P. posted:

I live in an apartment and I've been wanting to get something so I can at least do some bag work in my free time. (I can't make the normal sessions for kickboxing/boxing with my current work schedule.)

I'm trying to decide between getting one of those speed bags that mount to the wall. (Donating it to my apartment complex's fitness center.) Or buying freestanding unit (heavy and speed) and using that in my apartment.

The problem I have with the free standing frames is that they seem to really wobble quite a bit. Has anyone used a speed bag set up on one of them? If so how did it work out?

A speed bag offers a more specific workout than a heavy bag. I think the main hurdle would be not getting noise complaints from all the frame rattling and bag slapping in your own apartment.
If I were in the same situation, I'd double check that the complex was cool with having a free standing frame take up a chunk of the gym, and if so, just living with it not being that solid.

• Locked thread