Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
My clumsy rear end dropped my TE Stick and now whenever I go to hold downback I just walked backwards. I know you can replace all the parts but I really have no clue where to start. Can anyone help please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Sheriff Jake posted:

My clumsy rear end dropped my TE Stick and now whenever I go to hold downback I just walked backwards. I know you can replace all the parts but I really have no clue where to start. Can anyone help please?

A dropped TE stick usually works still. Did you drop it directly on the joystick?
Open it and check the switches. You may have broken this http://www.lizardlick.com/Sanwa-TP-MA-PCB-Assembly_p_395.html Its easy to replace

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So you want to play Melty Blood? It's a good anime fighter! Good choice! This game owns.

The latest version just got ported to PC: Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code v1.07

So let's say you got a copy of the game. Make sure you've got a few things to make the game work, like:

1) A copy of the game!
2) A copy of the 1.1 patch.
3) Working netplay! (I'll let you figure this one out.)

Here are some resources for you!

An intro to MBAA basics: It's for the previous version, but the same idea applies.
Part 2: Talks about the different Moons.
Melty Bread: Pretty useful forum - think of it like Dustloop for Melty.
The MB Wiki: Still being fleshed out as we figure out stuff about 1.07, but it's handy.

Is your game configuration menu showing up as nothing but random squiggles and boxes? You either need to turn on Japanese unicode or run the game through AppLocale.

Here's a screenshot of the button config. (This is before the 1.1 patch - just know that A+B is a shortcut for dashing instead of tapping 66.)

Keyboard user? I haven't tried it, personally, but other people have said it works. Use at your own risk.
EDIT: Mauve's tool might be better.

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 6, 2012

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

A dropped TE stick usually works still. Did you drop it directly on the joystick?
Open it and check the switches. You may have broken this http://www.lizardlick.com/Sanwa-TP-MA-PCB-Assembly_p_395.html Its easy to replace

Yeah man I did drop it right on the stick, opened it up and checked everything and it looked all solid and connected. I have a feeling its what you linked.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you wanna be 100% sure just replace the whole assembly, its only $20
this one
http://www.lizardlick.com/Sanwa-JLF-TP-8YT-SK-Joystick_p_260.html

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

40 OZ posted:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/capcom-confirms-support-for-sopa/

:megaman:

Capcom USA supports the controversial ‘Stop Online Piracy Act,’ better known as SOPA, Digital Trends has confirmed. In an email with Digital Trends, a spokeswoman for Capcom said only that, “The ESA represents us on these matters.”

Christian Svenson responded on the unity boards

Christian Svenson posted:

Guys, a few points:

1. We are members of the ESA (along side pretty much every other major publisher in our industry).

2. We've only ever stated that the ESA represents us in legislative matters (again, like every other publisher). We have not stated any stance on our support (or not) for SOPA. Inferring more than that is bad journalism (which seems to be rampant based upon the rereporting of a six word response to inquiry).

3. Months ago I've commented that streaming folks/video uploading have absolutely nothing to worry about. We've always been very accomodating to our supporters (and as this thread would demonstrate, even our detractors) and I don't ever see that changing.

The ESA is working with representatives to improve solutions to what is a real problem. For more details, Gamasutra had a statement from the ESA that states:

"As an industry of innovators and creators, we understand the importance of both technological innovation and content protection, and do not believe the two are mutually exclusive. Rogue websites -- those singularly devoted to profiting from their blatant illegal piracy -- restrict demand for legitimate video game products and services, thereby costing jobs."

"Our industry needs effective remedies to address this specific problem, and we support the House and Senate proposals to achieve this objective. We are mindful of concerns raised about a negative impact on innovation. We look forward to working with the House and Senate, and all interested parties, to find the right balance and define useful remedies to combat willful wrongdoers that do not impede lawful product and business model innovation."

At Capcom, we're game makers, not legislators. We do not have an internal stance on this particular issue and are not planning to. We'll get back to making games. Thanks.

Less "Capcom support SOPA" and more "Destructoid (And other media outlets) are poo poo stirring assholes trolling for page hits by taking a quote out of context. Again".

Sex Vicar fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 6, 2012

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

interrodactyl posted:

So you want to play Melty Blood? It's a good anime fighter! Good choice! This game owns.

1) What does the 1.1 patch do, is that the netplay one?
2) How do I bind keys on a keyboard instead of a stick

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Countblanc posted:

1) What does the 1.1 patch do, is that the netplay one?
2) How do I bind keys on a keyboard instead of a stick

1) The 1.1 patch is just a fix that the devs put out to address some early issues. It will allow you to netplay against other people if you have a legitimate copy of the game. There's copy protection on it (in the form of please insert original disc etc.)

If you don't legally own the game, I'm not actually allowed to help you. But take it from Melty Bread: "French Bread's copy protection is as good as their netcode"

2) This might work for keyboard controls; never tried it so no idea.

EDIT: mauve made a keyboard tool that is fantastic. Fixes Linux bugs as well and lets you set CPU affinity on startup

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 6, 2012

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wayne Brady and Michael Cera, believe it comrades.

Michael Cera is the last thing the fighting game community needs. I'd rather have that 13 year-old schmuck from one of the MvC3 Spooky streams act manly with sexist/misogynistic lines than Cera act all SoCal hip with fighting games.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004
Apex is live @ http://apexsmash.com/stream/s1.html all weekend long, get HYPE.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

GoodCleanFun posted:

I'm actually enjoying stream #1 a lot :shobon:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

GoodCleanFun posted:

Debating whether or not to go... friend is headed up, this looks like it could be low-key enough for me to do halfway decent w/ Nova // Mag // Sent..

Haha, that guy in the vest and tie doing smash commentary is my (male) friend's boyfriend :gay: .

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 6, 2012

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
For anyone who wants to play Melty Blood, Rokunaya is doing his analysis corner right now.

Today is literally about how to start playing the game.

http://www.twitch.tv/rokunaya

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

interrodactyl posted:

So let's say you got a copy of the game. Make sure you've got a few things to make the game work, like:

1) A copy of the game!
2) A copy of the 1.1 patch.
3) Working netplay! (I'll let you figure this one out.)

So is buying Carnival Phantasm on blu ray the only way to legitimately get this game? I really wanna throw my money at this game but dont wanna pay extra for a blu ray I dont want and dont have a device to watch.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
How to play melty blood: the short version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM8-9saFQcU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Gutcruncher posted:

So is buying Carnival Phantasm on blu ray the only way to legitimately get this game? I really wanna throw my money at this game but dont wanna pay extra for a blu ray I dont want and dont have a device to watch.

Unfortunately yes. :(

I'm holding out for an release independent of the anime, but we'll see.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah, that's all it's on. I also want to throw money at them, but alas, can't due to the restrictions. And I even have an interest in getting Carnival Phantasm vol 3. A regular PC release would be great, but if they teamed up with a bigger company to make a console port with proper netcode and maybe some lobbies, I would never stop throwing money at them.

Actually, in getting back into MB, I did kind of realize why I like MB as a game more than I do, say, most others. It's because of the fact that it's based almost entirely on long strings of normals with a special or EX for a finisher, as opposed to most games where it's just trying to connect as many specials as possible. I find trying to execute a long reverse beat loop combo more challenging, yet far more entertaining and easier to wrap my head around than most other longer combo systems. Is this a recognized appeal, or just :downs: on my part?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I think it's cool too, because of the ability to do different staggers in strings and all that.

Also, sp00ky just said on the Destructoid stream that Melty is his favorite game. How can you not play this game?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

interrodactyl posted:

Also, sp00ky just said on the Destructoid stream that Melty is his favorite game. How can you not play this game?

He was a top melty player before he was the stream head honcho.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

40 OZ posted:

He was a top melty player before he was the stream head honcho.

I hope he comes back, but I doubt he'll have time. He was basically the godfather for the east coast Melty scene.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Yeah in its earliest days teamsp00ky was an MB stream that carried SF4 occasionally to boost viewers.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

interrodactyl posted:

I hope he comes back, but I doubt he'll have time. He was basically the godfather for the east coast Melty scene.
He talked about it on a house stream Tuesday. Said he hasn't even touched or downloaded the new Melty, and he doesn't plan to. Think it was just something about how there wasn't enough of a scene for him to care.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Is the KoF series supposed to have the most stupid hardcore combos in the world? I can do most of mission mode with MvC3ultimate and like, but the mission mode in the new KoF is so ridiculous hard it's amazing. I can't see any players doing any of this stuff online.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
KOF doesn't have online, the sooner you realize this the happier you will be.

Melty owns and is indeed my favorite fighter, but Ougon actually has working netcode, and I was able to play a game with multiple different people on the west coast and even some in other countries with no problem. This is huge normally I have difficulties playing anyone outside of my state. I'm kind of surprised because I heard alot of people complaining about how bad the netcode was and it is surprisingly very good at least so far.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

big duck equals goose posted:

Is the KoF series supposed to have the most stupid hardcore combos in the world? I can do most of mission mode with MvC3ultimate and like, but the mission mode in the new KoF is so ridiculous hard it's amazing. I can't see any players doing any of this stuff online.

A lot of the trial combos are very impractical, though they have practical bits and pieces in them. But many advanced combos really are that hard, or even harder. See that Joe combo for a good example.

And yes, don't play KOF13 online.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

big duck equals goose posted:

KOF13 has much higher execution requirements than the other big fighting games that are popular now. Some people make fun of SF4 and marvel for having easy execution, and well, KOF is more like Things Used To Be. If someone lands a fat combo on you, you know that guy has spent some time in training mode working on it.

There are some :smug: people who say KOF13 has low execution requirements but it is at least difficult enough that max-damage punishes are a calculated risk. Also, yes, the mission mode is very challenging. Just remembering all of the moves in some of the long combos is hard as hell.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

A lot of the trial combos are very impractical, though they have practical bits and pieces in them. But many advanced combos really are that hard, or even harder. See that Joe combo for a good example.

And yes, don't play KOF13 online.

So is it not worth it to even buy KOF if I don't know anybody who plays it and have no way of finding people who do?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Fiction posted:

So is it not worth it to even buy KOF if I don't know anybody who plays it and have no way of finding people who do?

There is supposed to be a big patch but it is unlikely to change much.

You can't just go into ranked match and get decent games like SF4. You at least need to coordinate over IRC or whatever. The netcode is bad but it is certainly playable if you go player matches with people you get good ping with.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

40 OZ posted:

There is supposed to be a big patch but it is unlikely to change much.

You can't just go into ranked match and get decent games like SF4. You at least need to coordinate over IRC or whatever. The netcode is bad but it is certainly playable if you go player matches with people you get good ping with.

So pretty much like UMvC3, but with some hope of improvements.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Double Bill posted:

So pretty much like UMvC3, but with some hope of improvements.

No, UMvC3 has far better netcode. Umvc3's main problem is its bar system lies so it appears worse than it actually is.

I borrowed my friends copy of KofXIII and got maybe a handful of games that I found acceptable. It's a fantastic game but I'm not buying it until I see if this patch solves anything.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 7, 2012

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Mega Comrade posted:

No, UMvC3 has far better netcode. Umvc3's main problem is its bar system lies so it appears worse than it actually is.

I borrowed my friends copy of KofXIII and got maybe a handful of games that I found acceptable. It's a fantastic game but I'm not buying it until I see if this patch solves anything.

Yeah the biggest problem with the current netcode is that you're severely limited in terms of people you can play with good connections. Last time I played I was like "oh hey, it's that one guy I played 15 ranked matches in a row with yesterday"

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
My favorite thing about learning a new fighting game is going into training mode, getting a solid BnB down, and doing it over and over. Feels good, man.

What's everyone else's favorite part about learning a new game?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

interrodactyl posted:

My favorite thing about learning a new fighting game is going into training mode, getting a solid BnB down, and doing it over and over. Feels good, man.

What's everyone else's favorite part about learning a new game?

Looking at the character list and picking who to play, only to realize their style is really boring and finding out that the character you originally hated fits you perfectly.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
My favourite part is doing character combo trials and then getting really mad when I can't do the stupid combos.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

My favorite part is learning good oki tactics. Crossups, blurry mixups, tick throws, unblockables, tech traps, etc, etc. Getting a good combo down is fun, sure, but setting the end of the combo up so that, say, they tech right into my anti-air command throw, get hit by my air unblockable, or tech right before hitting the ground, causing them to eat my 720.

And then I get pissed because they mashed DP out of the tech, but that's solvable with baiting.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
Dear DIMPS,

Stop making SF4 revisions, release a console version of Rumble Fish 2.

Well thanks for listening,
David Sirlin

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Does anyone in here care about combo videos? Check4900 put together a pretty neat compilation of all the max midscreen and corner combos for all the MK cast. The invisible Reptile combo at 2:20 is pretty crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyVNiNeIA2A

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

dj_de posted:

Dear DIMPS,

Stop making SF4 revisions, release a console version of Rumble Fish 2.

Well thanks for listening,
David Sirlin
I googled this and was very disappointed to learn that it's not based on the S.E. Hinton book.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
My favorite part of playing fighting games is having nobody to play with and forgetting I have games after a month. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
What's going on with empire arcadia now? I can't believe someone like FightingGM is involved in that nonsense. He was nice and cool in person

• Locked thread