Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

I mostly meant like, the setup it uses for the buttons, are they good, does it feel okay to use for extended periods, is the construction decent, etc. I've played on keyboard before (hilariously poorly) so I mostly get the basics on inputs there already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Dweller posted:

Yeah I saw that comin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyo8cKGUayw

He's so going to main Kenshi, Rain, or Freddy (the 3 most broken characters in MK9).

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

drugs and paint posted:

I mostly meant like, the setup it uses for the buttons, are they good, does it feel okay to use for extended periods, is the construction decent, etc. I've played on keyboard before (hilariously poorly) so I mostly get the basics on inputs there already.

I've had a hitbox for about five months and I'd say they are pretty good, although a little basic. It feels way better to use than a keyboard and I have no problem using it for a few hours straight. I have small hands, and the layout feels really natural for me.

As far as construction goes, it's a metal box with buttons on it. It feels pretty sturdy, but not very polished.

Most of my complaints are minor things. The usb cord sticks out and seems to just be asking for someone to come by and break it and there is no place to store it. There's no way to tell the difference between the start/select/PS3 buttons, so if you need to taunt someone you have to be careful. And sometimes I wish I had a cool picture of Magneto or Chun-Li ruining someone on it to give me solace after a string of crushing defeats.

Also there is a video of someone doing a standing 720 on a hitbox. That video is a lie. You will never, ever do a standing 720.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Schmendrick posted:

He's so going to main Kenshi, Rain, or Freddy (the 3 most broken characters in MK9).

jax???

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Jmcrofts posted:

jax???

Despite Jax being awesome now, he and everyone else not named Freddy and Rain require effort whereas Rain and Freddy can get to 30-60% without even trying. You can exploit the block glitch without being called a jerkface when using Kenshi.

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 10, 2012

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.
Custom fight stick talk.

Help.

I got two cases with everything all setup, I just need to figure out a good way to mount a pcb into the metal cases, any ideas? I also want one of those fancy USB or Ethernet connectors in it too, but I'm not innovative enough to figure out how to install it in a metal case that already has ports for the USB or Ethernet. If I had photos, it would make more sense, I'll do that when I go home.

when is the drat ps360+ coming out

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

drugs and paint posted:

While we're on stick chat has anyone here bought and/or tried out a Hitbox before; I'm using an old rear end SSF4 SE stick and I wanna upgrade to something less fischer-price sooner or later and I'm considering it instead of a TE or Hori or something.

It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper to just replace the SE's stock parts with Sanwas. Not hard at all either.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zero000 posted:

Custom fight stick talk.

Help.

I got two cases with everything all setup, I just need to figure out a good way to mount a pcb into the metal cases, any ideas? I also want one of those fancy USB or Ethernet connectors in it too, but I'm not innovative enough to figure out how to install it in a metal case that already has ports for the USB or Ethernet. If I had photos, it would make more sense, I'll do that when I go home.

when is the drat ps360+ coming out

pcb standoffs. I've also used nylon screws and super glue if you can drill a little indentation in the metal panel to secure the screw in.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Not really anything to do with anything but I thought this was cool. Some guy took a wallpaper I made ages ago and turned it into a pretty awesome looking fightstick:

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 10, 2012

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

40 OZ posted:

Buy your parts from lizardlick.com.

Please do not do this. They've been neglecting to fill tons of orders and have largely been MIA for a few months now. Check the stick thread on gaf or the lizardlick thread on srk for reference. I suggest using focusattack but I've heard great things about arcadeshock and paradise arcade as well.

EDIT: If you're buying anything Toodles makes (like the Cthulhu for example) just buy it directly from him at http://gdlk.co

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

rivals posted:

Please do not do this. They've been neglecting to fill tons of orders and have largely been MIA for a few months now. Check the stick thread on gaf or the lizardlick thread on srk for reference. I suggest using focusattack but I've heard great things about arcadeshock and paradise arcade as well.

EDIT: If you're buying anything Toodles makes (like the Cthulhu for example) just buy it directly from him at http://gdlk.co

Really? Weird, what a shame. When I last ordered from Lizardlick (over a year ago) they were awesome. I had y stuff without expedited shipping in like 3 days (they are also in california).

Sucks if they're falling apart - especially since (because of?) they have less competition these days.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
If we're talking about arcade parts vendors, I recommend Etokki.

http://etokki.com/index.php?route=common/home

I bought their Omni arcade stick and their customer service has been great. It's one of the few sites that will ship Korean stick parts to America. Also it's run by FG community member Laugh.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Fayk posted:

Really? Weird, what a shame. When I last ordered from Lizardlick (over a year ago) they were awesome. I had y stuff without expedited shipping in like 3 days (they are also in california).

Sucks if they're falling apart - especially since (because of?) they have less competition these days.

Lizardlick is actually a small shop in NC, and they used to have really great customer service. They are small and used to get backed up due to floods of orders when new games came out. Been a while since I ordered anything though.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
gremlinsolutions is pretty good, even if you are ordering from the US (UK based).

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Chalk one up for terrible PR. Phantom Breaker got announced for North America a week or so ago but no one cared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTr2MjBdxQ

I can see why though

Terrible fighting games trying to take advantage of the market? Fighting games really are back :swoon:

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Schmendrick posted:

Despite Jax being awesome now, he and everyone else not named Freddy and Rain require effort whereas Rain and Freddy can get to 30-60% without even trying. You can exploit the block glitch without being called a jerkface when using Kenshi.
What's the block glitch?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Lizardlick is actually a small shop in NC, and they used to have really great customer service. They are small and used to get backed up due to floods of orders when new games came out. Been a while since I ordered anything though.

My memory is clearly failing me then because I swear the stuff I got from them shipped from CA (unless they have a small fulfillment center or something).

But anyways, yeah - I ordered after the HUGE rush of SF4 vanilla stuff that managed to gently caress up basically the entire industry's logistics, and they were very swift. This was a bit over a year ago, though.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Sex Vicar posted:

Chalk one up for terrible PR. Phantom Breaker got announced for North America a week or so ago but no one cared.

I can see why though

Terrible fighting games trying to take advantage of the market? Fighting games really are back :swoon:

Oh boy, it's the embarrassing character roster of Arcana Heart but without the gameplay!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Fayk posted:

Yeah, until recently I heard nothing but great things about them. Here's references to what I've been seeing (most of this is from gaf):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34093183&postcount=17627
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34126083&postcount=17630
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33582098&postcount=17426

There are more but I'm not interested in searching further back

And a couple of lizardlick complaint threads got merged into the lizardlick thread on SRK TT. You can see complaints starting around last October-November:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/greetings-from-lizard-lick-amusements.24203/page-191

And in reference to Jmcrofts' post - I've heard great things about etokki too, just totally slipped my mind when I posted earlier.

rivals fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 10, 2012

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Sex Vicar posted:

I can see why though

Phantom Breaker is awful though. Like I might of been trash talking Ougon earlier but it is a pretty fun game and I'm actually enjoying Ougon Cross alot. Everything about PB was awful though and it doesn't look like they made alot of changes to the game to make it not awful.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Sex Vicar posted:

Oh man I can't wait until someone creates the "Zybourne Clock" of fighting games.

Wait...

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
VF5FS looks perfect. Hopefully it'll bring in more casual players and build up scenes for the game. There's already a small scene for it in UK, but still it's pretty small.

Nominating Brad for the :smug: face of the thread.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

uncleKitchener posted:

Despite months of people losing their poo poo over Skullgirls, I just can't bring myself to make a smarmy remark about this.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

uncleKitchener posted:

VF5FS looks perfect. Hopefully it'll bring in more casual players and build up scenes for the game. There's already a small scene for it in UK, but still it's pretty small.

I'm just happy it'll have some semblance of online play for the PS3 version. I actually put VF5 back into my PS3 a few weeks ago and suddenly realized I don't know poo poo about any VF character.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Broken Loose posted:

Despite months of people losing their poo poo over Skullgirls, I just can't bring myself to make a smarmy remark about this.

doesn't look like you're having any trouble to me!

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
My Hori VX came today! It's my first stick, so I have no idea what I'm talking about, but from what I can tell at least I think it'll serve me well.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
^^^^ Your Hori probably has Sanwa buttons, which are good. Keep that in mind in case you want to mod things.

Broken Loose posted:

For some reason Sega's going all-out with the Fanservice in this game. Even Shun Di is wearing a speedo in this game. All characters have a sixth costume which is basically just swimwear. Thongs, bikinis, micro skirts, school girl outfits, garter belts, they're all there. You can ever see Brad's rear end crack with that speedo.

Yeah, guess they really want more casual players buying the game.

Policenaut posted:

I'm just happy it'll have some semblance of online play for the PS3 version. I actually put VF5 back into my PS3 a few weeks ago and suddenly realized I don't know poo poo about any VF character.

Who do you want to main or think looks cool? I could help you out with finding a character you'll enjoy. A few people here is the thread actually play VF. There aren't many characters, so just go through all of em in a few hours and get a feel for em.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 11, 2012

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
My favorite is Goh. "Characters" pretty much in VF are just personifications of the martial art they worked so hard to replicate, and Judo and Goh's take on it is pretty loving awesome. I had a blast with VF5 online.

Jean looks pretty cool as I tend to gravitate towards Vidja Game Karate characters in fighters. Jeffry and Akira are also fairly badass.

I'm the only one who liked the multi-tiered stages in VF2b - I have fond memories of that badass rooftop level.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I love Shun. I love how he starts out fairly meh, but then as you play he gets more and more awesome and drunk until hes the finest assembled rear end-kicking machine.

Dont get me wrong, Im terrible, but Shun makes me feel LESS terrible.

I just remembered back when VF5 was, aside from DOA4, the only online fighter on 360 so people didnt have much choice but to play it, even those who didnt care to learn how to play. So often I could just lay down and start downing drinks two at a time while the other player was wildly flailing around above me, completely unable to hit me while Im laying down.

Also the time I was behind in life in round 1, and instead of trying to make a comeback I just decide to back up, lay down, and get my drunk on for next round. The guy says into the mic 'Dude, Im ahead in life!' Oh hes so silly and thinks Im just taunting him, but no, the drunken murder machine had the last laugh. 3 rounds in a row.

Do you goons PROMISE to play Final Showdown with me? Pinky swear?

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Gutcruncher posted:

Pinky swear.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Gutcruncher posted:

I love Shun. I love how he starts out fairly meh, but then as you play he gets more and more awesome and drunk until hes the finest assembled rear end-kicking machine.

Dont get me wrong, Im terrible, but Shun makes me feel LESS terrible.

I just remembered back when VF5 was, aside from DOA4, the only online fighter on 360 so people didnt have much choice but to play it, even those who didnt care to learn how to play. So often I could just lay down and start downing drinks two at a time while the other player was wildly flailing around above me, completely unable to hit me while Im laying down.

Also the time I was behind in life in round 1, and instead of trying to make a comeback I just decide to back up, lay down, and get my drunk on for next round. The guy says into the mic 'Dude, Im ahead in life!' Oh hes so silly and thinks Im just taunting him, but no, the drunken murder machine had the last laugh. 3 rounds in a row.

Pinky loving swear!

I know lots has changed between 5 and Final Showdown, but I might dig out my 360 copy anyway to readjust to the game.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Digital Scumbag posted:

My favorite is Goh. "Characters" pretty much in VF are just personifications of the martial art they worked so hard to replicate, and Judo and Goh's take on it is pretty loving awesome. I had a blast with VF5 online.

Jean looks pretty cool as I tend to gravitate towards Vidja Game Karate characters in fighters. Jeffry and Akira are also fairly badass.

I'm the only one who liked the multi-tiered stages in VF2b - I have fond memories of that badass rooftop level.

I'm willing to do the Russian Dance (8/2 G+K) with you all day.

That guy was too many good mids in my opinion. His new grab from his old 46G+K looks real boss. I don't even play Goh but I really want to try that out.

I mostly play Lau because I'm a 90s person and I don't mind awkward looking animations. He's hella quick and responsive and most of his stuff is safe. 6GPK changes games sometimes.

Gutcruncher posted:

Pinky swear.

cka
May 3, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Me too; that's why I'm him in Quest mode as a (kinda terrible) AI player. :smug: Maybe they'll run that contest/promotion/whatever the hell it was again for FS for a new set of AI character data...

Really hoping the PS3 edition has halfway decent online play, as much fun as I had with the 360 version the online world was pretty barren most of the time short of super lagged out intercontinental players. Only did manage to talk a few people into doing some sets online, but it was pretty much only the one time for either of them. All the other randoms either cleaned my clock or were too laggy to battle against.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fiction posted:

My Hori VX came today! It's my first stick, so I have no idea what I'm talking about, but from what I can tell at least I think it'll serve me well.

It's a good stick, and unlike older hori's it doesn't feature the cramped hori button layout or the poo poo quality Hori buttons. It should have Sanwa OBSF30's for buttons and a Sanwa JLF for a stick. These are industry standards right now although you do have some other option if you so desired.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

cka posted:

Me too; that's why I'm him in Quest mode as a (kinda terrible) AI player. :smug: Maybe they'll run that contest/promotion/whatever the hell it was again for FS for a new set of AI character data...

Really hoping the PS3 edition has halfway decent online play, as much fun as I had with the 360 version the online world was pretty barren most of the time short of super lagged out intercontinental players. Only did manage to talk a few people into doing some sets online, but it was pretty much only the one time for either of them. All the other randoms either cleaned my clock or were too laggy to battle against.

Have to say, I found the netcode by far the best of any online fighter. Maybe there's more european players than I remembered, but I was having great games against US people and even fairly passable ones against Japan sometimes.

..christ why isn't this out now, I love me some VF. Someone stop me from trying to learn Akira though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Spuckuk posted:

Have to say, I found the netcode by far the best of any online fighter. Maybe there's more european players than I remembered, but I was having great games against US people and even fairly passable ones against Japan sometimes.

I havent played it online in a couple years, and good luck finding a single other player these days, but from what I remember the netcode was surprisingly good, even playing people in Japan. The only thing holding it back was the lack of any kind of lobby or spectator mode, something DOA4 had. Hell, it didnt even have the option to rematch until a patch.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Speaking of games with online components in them and are VF rip-offs, I got to play DOA4 at casuals since there's a tournament for it in Yorkshire (Bradford) and this game is the biggest garbage piece of poo poo fighting game in terms of competitiveness. This game really had tournaments for it?

It has a garbage side stepping. It's pretty much a 2D fighter in a 3D engine. All you need to do is offensive holds and string mix-ups and you win. Ninjas are loving broke as poo poo. One high punch on that bridge stage and you end up izunad down with more than half your life bar gone and the izuna is piss easy to do too. The only character I like (Bass) is now a slow useless gimmicky character and being slow in this game means that you're gonna have an extremely hard time with the ninjas.

We gave up after two hours and moved onto SC4.

The first thing I'm gonna do when I get to Bradford is to ask the organizer why he decided to include DOA4.

Spuckuk posted:

..christ why isn't this out now, I love me some VF. Someone stop me from trying to learn Akira though.

Go for it. You're fine if you get the jfs right.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 11, 2012

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

uncleKitchener posted:

It has a garbage side stepping. It's pretty much a 2D fighter in a 3D engine. All you need to do is offensive holds and string mix-ups and you win. Ninjas are loving broke as poo poo. One high punch on that bridge stage and you end up izunad down with more than half your life bar gone and the izuna is piss easy to do too. The only character I like (Bass) is now a slow useless gimmicky character and being slow in this game means that you're gonna have an extremely hard time with the ninjas.

Except, you know, that speed of the character only matters so much since the game allows so much counter/hold bullshit. Just counter them before their string starts, or mid-string before you're launched if they are trying to do high damage combos.

Anything you launch w/ with bass is gonna be like half their lifebar if I recall.

The game is meh (add to it that it has a really weird concept in general, where combos are only half-combos, and if you assume you can always do the full thing you'll get a hold pulled on you - so it's a weird poking game of press your luck)) but Bass isn't without his tools in that game.

If their character is a fairly light character (or you're in water where everything is a counterhit) they'll be juggled high enough you can do some of Bass' more nasty stuff like grabbing them out of the air after strings, etc.

edit: Yes, I realize I am talking about DOA, kill me now.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
No one decent enough would finish strings that don't have mid or low finishers because people who have been playing this game for years know all the strings anyway since there aren't many characters in this game. It's all basically yomi games and that's it. Nothing solid. You don't play tournaments on this thing, end of story.

Please start up DOA3 (Pal or NTSC-JAP) and tell me how good he was back then since their only good competitive game was the version of DOA3 which was a Japanese exclusive. More than half of his useful tools are now useless gimmicks that just knock back. Pretty much any decent player can see those coming.

Turns out that Itagaki hired VF players to test DOA4. That is such horse poo poo.

Yeah, kill me too, because this was a horrible topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Fayk posted:

edit: Yes, I realize I am talking about DOA, kill me now.

Hey it could be worse, you could be talking about the My Little Pony fighter!

By the way, this weekend the devs had a panel for My Little Pony Fighting is Magic, and showed a bit more of the game off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hU5kIpkGjY
The recording was done by some smelly noisy retard who doesnt know how to hold a camera, so its a pain to watch. I sure hope you like an idiot shouting various Yipes phrases at inappropriate times, like SCOOPS HAAGENDAZ when both characters are on the ground looking at eachother.
The parts that you can see and hear though seem really good.

If you havent been following development (come on, you probably havent) the game has magic, essentially the horse version of Blazblue's Drive system, and like BB each character has something different.

Previously they showed off Twilights magic, where she reads a book to fill her magic gauge and uses that to power up her traps and fireballs. This time they show Applejacks magic for the first time. When she lands her 'get over here' lasso, it adds to her meter.

Theres also an anti-air version of this.

She can use the meter to Alpha Counter and do fullscreen unblockable groundpounds.

After doing a Twilight vs Applejack fight they get around to showing off (incomplete versions of) Rarity and Pinky Pie. Pinky Pie looked pretty standard, rushdown, buncha hit combos, the like. Turns out shes also a charge character. Huh?

Rarity fights using various fabrics and seems to have longrage normals.

Her projectiles arent like a hadoken. They actually hover in the air for about a second before firing off, the whole time Rarity is still able to move and fight. It comes in horizontal, vertical, and diagonal variations. Theyre all shaped/colored different so the other player knows which version is coming.

While I doubt its possible, nobody ever asked if it was possible to fire another gem while one is still hovering in the air.

Neither character had their supers, magic, or even walk animations yet.

I wasnt kidding when I said that this is the exact opposite of Street Fighter X Tekken for me, the more information that comes out the better I think this game looks!

• Locked thread