Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Laopooh posted:

Apologies if this has been covered, but this thread is huge. Is there a consensus on brand and the best place to buy pads and mitts? I want to get a pair of focus mitts and thai pads as cheaply as possible while still having something decent. Any recommendations?

This is how I put it last time:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544&userid=118079&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post395847787

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Can anyone recommend a mouthguard for muaythai? The last one I bought was awful, it was a top and bottom combined one piece with small holes in between, and difficult to breathe with. I've heard shockdoctor mentioned here often... but right now I went back to using a dental one for my upper teeth instead anyways (I grind my teeth while sleeping.) Really stoked, I'm going back to Thailand for 5 months with one of my goals being training MT again!

I would also be grateful for recommendations on protein powder, it's extremely expensive in Thailand (something like a 300-400% markup over buying online in NA/Europe) and probably not good quality. I'm not picky and don't buy into the crazy marketing pseudoscience I see on some of the packaging. I guess that's more of a W&W question though, but I think there's enough crossover to not be offtopic :).

mewse
May 2, 2006

everyone i've encountered in boxing says that dental mouthguards are the best

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I have a dentist made one, and a molded one from Gladiator..

The dentist one has perfect fit, but the Gladiator one is very good compared to boil and bites, and it's springier and a bit thicker, which I prefer. In previous iterations of this thread, people have said you can get dentist made ones for $100. I'm in Boston, and on top of that, maybe I got ripped off, but if you can get that price for a dentist one, do that. If not, try the Gladiator.

PS. I had really weird teeth dimensions (very wide jaw at the base) and the process of getting a different mold from Gladiator was painless. Thought their customer service and support was excellent.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
holy poo poo gently caress I now suck so much, I feel like I lost all my judo knowledge during the holidays and now I have a competition in 2 weeks... So not feeling good about this

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Beware the shock doctor mouthguards, there are horror stories. They make good protective cups though.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Guilty posted:

'I swear to god, if I survive this match I will stop smoking!!!'

"i wonder how much of my own blood i can swallow before vomiting..."

"didn't fight club mention that somewhere?"

*vomits*

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

holy poo poo gently caress I now suck so much, I feel like I lost all my judo knowledge during the holidays and now I have a competition in 2 weeks... So not feeling good about this

Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi > Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi > Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tonight I had to roll with a very young teen girl tonight. As expected she was very timid with any kind of grappling with me (I'm 23). Does anyone have experience getting someone like that to loosen up and just roll? Or is it going to just have to happen on is own? I

I just kind of felt like she wasn't learning anything because she wasn't comfortable with me and I felt bad about it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

Annnd today we learnt the shrimp, closed guard and an armbar from closed guard. There is so so much to learn and not so much time to practise these on a partner outside the class. How do you guys handle so much knowledge coming in? I get after a while it becomes muscle memory but at the moment it is just :stare: and so difficult to remember while rolling.

I guess if nothing else this will teach me good time management.

Get a girlfriend (or a boyfriend). They will learn to dread the phrase "Come here a second, I want to try something (I saw on youtube)"

EDIT: Seriously though, start bringing a notebook, and after every class dump all the stuff that you learned into the book. Even if you never review the book, the sheer process of committing pen to page helps remember stuff.

TheKingslayer posted:

Tonight I had to roll with a very young teen girl tonight. As expected she was very timid with any kind of grappling with me (I'm 23). Does anyone have experience getting someone like that to loosen up and just roll? Or is it going to just have to happen on is own? I

I just kind of felt like she wasn't learning anything because she wasn't comfortable with me and I felt bad about it.

Ask them what they want to work on. Let them work on getting to that position/submission. I have a few smaller ladies who grapple, and basically I use the roll as a way to put myself in bad spots, work my sub defense, and just go with the flow - they want to hit that hip bump sweep? Sure, why not? Try to out position them, not out-explosive or out-strong them. Pull guard and let them work on their guard pass, let them explore what it's like to be in dominant positions as you work on your escapes. Be supportive and constructive, just like any other new person.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 11, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

rhazes posted:

Can anyone recommend a mouthguard for muaythai? The last one I bought was awful, it was a top and bottom combined one piece with small holes in between, and difficult to breathe with. I've heard shockdoctor mentioned here often... but right now I went back to using a dental one for my upper teeth instead anyways (I grind my teeth while sleeping.) Really stoked, I'm going back to Thailand for 5 months with one of my goals being training MT again!

Get a guard in thai land, it's so much cheaper over there, and if it's crap just buy a new one.

Generally, bring your old equipment to thailand, run it into the loving ground, leave with new equipment

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Guilty posted:

Get a guard in thai land, it's so much cheaper over there, and if it's crap just buy a new one.

Generally, bring your old equipment to thailand, run it into the loving ground, leave with new equipment

That awful mouthguard I bought was actually bought in Thailand last time.. I actually lost my dental mouthguard and was using a cheapie wannabe-dental boil & bite, since I lost both my dental coverages when I finished my degree and my dad retired.

My equipment's pretty much all Twins that I bought there and it's in great shape, my fitness at home has been woeful aside from setting up a 6' bag in my garage. I spent two months in central america in the jungle without electricity which didn't help :(, and now the whole garage area near my bag is full of junk, not enough to even throw a thai kick, but enough with the excuses. Probably going to pick up a bunch more stuff in thailand like a head guard or thai pads when I'm there.

What kind of gloves do your gyms recommend for muay thai? My gym in Thailand uses 12oz for regular bagwork, 18-20oz for sparring, tiny grappling gloves (I think 6 or 8oz?) for pure clinching, but the professional/amateur fighters tended to use those grappling gloves for sparring bagwork (I'm guessing because their technique and wrists are strong and they won't jam their thumb throwing a terrible hook like I occasionally do.) Seems a little counter-intuitive compared to what I've seen discussed here..

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Wowwwwwwwwww my first ever left handed seoi nage in randori against a fully resisting opponent. One of the coolest moments of my life. He had a high collar grip and I had lapell grip on the same side, so I just lifted my arm up which pushed his up and created enough space for me to put my left arm in and turn and wham. Dropped him right on his back. Incredible considering I'm a righty and I've only ever pulled off one seoi ever.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Guilty posted:

I like Thai-Boxing

Hey Guilty, what happens here? Why is Zambidis knocked out? Well obviously because Souwer kicks him in the head, but out of their dozens and dozens of exchanges and attempted strikes to the head during the fight why that is the one that gets through so well? I mean, how'd you (or any striking/MT nerd here) analyze the situation if someone asked. And now someone asks :v:

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Ligur posted:

Hey Guilty, what happens here? Why is Zambidis knocked out? Well obviously because Souwer kicks him in the head, but out of their dozens and dozens of exchanges and attempted strikes to the head during the fight why that is the one that gets through so well? I mean, how'd you (or any striking/MT nerd here) analyze the situation if someone asked. And now someone asks :v:

Because Souwer is a God...

I could only watch the video for a short time, but from what I saw, in that exchange, he took a good left hook to the head and a knee to the face that was half blocked at the most. You can see Zambidis stumbling after that knee, and if Souwer had waited a bit longer, I'm betting Zambidis would have been able to make a full recovery, but he just didn't

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
That's what I was thinking as well. He ate the hook 10 seconds before he was KO'd, stumbled for 0.02 seconds and was swinging again but probably not 100% yet.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
The left hook bent the rebar enough for the kick to crack the actual concrete structure of his head.

Zambo is the dreamiest punch man :allears:

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 11, 2012

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Illegal Username posted:

The left hook bent the rebar enough for the kick to crack the actual concrete structure of his head.

Holy poo poo dude, I had that fight, same upload, actually same link, open on the next browser tab.

Are you perhaps somewhere in this room?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Wowwwwwwwwww my first ever left handed seoi nage in randori against a fully resisting opponent. One of the coolest moments of my life. He had a high collar grip and I had lapell grip on the same side, so I just lifted my arm up which pushed his up and created enough space for me to put my left arm in and turn and wham. Dropped him right on his back. Incredible considering I'm a righty and I've only ever pulled off one seoi ever.

Congrats, seoi is so rewarding when it works. I suggest you try left handed one more often or right handed ones with a lefty grip. To me they are much easier to do in randori than the regular form.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi > Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi > Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi.

This is probably the best judo-circlejerk post ever.

Also, I am a righty that does left side seoi-nage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h5rn28tav4 for non judo goons) as well. This is due to the armpit/high lapel grip that I personally feel is easier for seoi-nage. Especially against newer right side players, left side seoi is super effective like against pokemon. I've won entire tournaments only using that throw against novice players that just aggressively push in matches.

Also, I'm glad you did not quit.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheKingslayer posted:

Some people just need to get some time on the mat before they get comfortable. In a situation where I am rolling with someone much lighter/weaker/less experienced than me I find the most success in adjusting to be just a little above their level. If you just give them techniques then they won't grow and probably won't have much fun. Instead adjust your rolling so they can legitimately attempt techniques. Every few attempts I'll give them a small pointer on something to help them get the sub. Then let them finish the sub or whatever using the pointer I just gave them. While doing this I'll also occasionally do a few purely technique based subs and pins of my own.

The whole goal of all of this is get them to appreciate some of what is possible while allowing them to feel like they are progressing with each roll. I find this to be the best balance between beating up on a new student and just giving them techniques.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Nierbo posted:

Grats! Get known for these and your opponents will give you left side uchi matas all day every day just to prevent you from opening up that gap under their arm.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Some people just need to get some time on the mat before they get comfortable. In a situation where I am rolling with someone much lighter/weaker/less experienced than me I find the most success in adjusting to be just a little above their level. If you just give them techniques then they won't grow and probably won't have much fun. Instead adjust your rolling so they can legitimately attempt techniques. Every few attempts I'll give them a small pointer on something to help them get the sub. Then let them finish the sub or whatever using the pointer I just gave them. While doing this I'll also occasionally do a few purely technique based subs and pins of my own.

The whole goal of all of this is get them to appreciate some of what is possible while allowing them to feel like they are progressing with each roll. I find this to be the best balance between beating up on a new student and just giving them techniques.

I like to just find some white belts who are smaller than me, and really tear into them and crank on some subs. That way only the mentally strong and determined will continue coming to my class (Urban darwinism)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mermans Lament posted:

I like to just find some white belts who are smaller than me, and really tear into them and crank on some subs. That way only the mentally strong and determined will continue coming to my class (Urban darwinism)

Knee on belly all day, every day.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mermans Lament posted:

The Law of the Mats. Only the strong survive.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Hooray for spazzy newbies. My nose is still off-center but now in a completely different direction.

Thoguh posted:

The Law of the Mats. Only the strong survive.
Just because they're the strong doesn't mean they can't get their asses kicked :clint:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Mermans Lament posted:

That's beautifully put.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mermans Lament posted:

6 months later: drop your gym's whitebelt division first place medals into the dumpster, glance at the "for rent" sign on the school window and sigh deeply

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Beware the shock doctor mouthguards, there are horror stories. They make good protective cups though.

Oh? What are these horror stories?

mewse
May 2, 2006

more importantly who the hell uses a mouthguard as a protective cup?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Illegal Username posted:

Ughhh, ugly fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouo1xzWMjpA&feature=youtu.be

Much better...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

origami posted:

Oh? What are these horror stories?

There's a photo floating around that somebody in this thread used to post regularly, of a shock doctor mouthguard with the lower halves of a bunch of shattered teeth jammed in it. I can't find it though, so take it with a grain of salt until I can work out where it was.

mewse posted:

more importantly who the hell uses a mouthguard as a protective cup?

It hangs on your dick like a hat on a rack.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

Congrats, seoi is so rewarding when it works. I suggest you try left handed one more often or right handed ones with a lefty grip. To me they are much easier to do in randori than the regular form.
Thanks, its hell rewarding. I'm probably going to do a left handed seoi as one of my only forward throws. At the novice level its very unexpected.

swmmrmanshen posted:

This is probably the best judo-circlejerk post ever.

Also, I am a righty that does left side seoi-nage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h5rn28tav4 for non judo goons) as well. This is due to the armpit/high lapel grip that I personally feel is easier for seoi-nage. Especially against newer right side players, left side seoi is super effective like against pokemon. I've won entire tournaments only using that throw against novice players that just aggressively push in matches.

Also, I'm glad you did not quit.
Yeah, that was a bit of a poo poo post that I wrote before but if you're out of form, some simple leg trips can finish a match quick and save some energy for the rest of the comp. The ex nz champ that coaches us has amazing timing and he hadn't done any randori for over a year because of an arm injury and when he did the first round of randori, just leg swept our brown belts soooo easily because he hadn't lost his timing (somehow). The brown belt he faced told me it felt like he was weightless and even though the coach hadn't done any cardio training for over a year and probably couldn't run half a mile without being puffed out, he still owned everyone and never was out of breath because he got the ippon leg sweep so easily.
And thanks, I'm glad I didn't quit either. I did try BJJ for a few weeks and loved it but the level of coaching at judo is just far too good to pass up. Missed that gi.

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Grats! Get known for these and your opponents will give you left side uchi matas all day every day just to prevent you from opening up that gap under their arm.
Thanks. That sounds wicked. I just have to learn uchi mata now :doh:. One of the browns said I better start learning harai goshi and uchi mata and tai otoshi for my grading. So its confirmed. More supervised throws for my belt which I'm fine with.
I'm excited to learn tai otoshi actually. It seems relatively simple and there's always the classic combo: ouchi gari > kouchi gari > tai otoshi. I swear to god our aussie rep has probably won 1/3rd of his competitive matches with that.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Last night was clinch work, after some exercises on different ways of holding people and how to move between them we did some very light sparring with a point for getting the opponent on the ground or lifting them. I discovered something I've feared was true. It's me, I'm the spaz who cannot relax :( The teacher and one of the students who'd been going a bit longer kept telling me to loosen up. I'm just glad they were patient with me.

One thing though, I got my opponent in a good position (arms around neck on the inside) I just couldn't work out how to actually tip them, even moving around. I'm sure I'll work it out.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
New semester starts up next week, we are a student club for the first time (rather than just a rec services lesson) so we got to send out a mass email to all the students. Hopefully we'll pick up a bunch of new formers wrestlers into the club. I'm a little nervous since we're doing a big push for new members and it'll suck if we don't get at least a handful.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

M.C. McMic posted:

I got him in a deep collar choke. Instead of tapping, he thrust his elbow and forearm down onto my adam's apple and began to crush my windpipe.

Update on this:

Guy went out of his way to apologize to me in the changing room before class the other day. I really appreciated it and told him we were totally cool, and I didn't hold any ill will.

He was pretty cool/humble about it and admitted he freaked out a bit once he realized I had him in the choke.

Still gonna look for some higher belts to spar with tonight. ;)

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 12, 2012

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

M.C. McMic posted:

Update on this:

Guy went out of his way to apologize to me

I'm glad to hear it, poo poo gets intense in the moment and people hulk out. All's well that ends well.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Today's story: Always remember to wear your cup.

Two guys at the gym were boxing, one guy goes in for a low bodyshot, misses, and completely slams the guy in the nuts. He falls over, everyone goes Oooohhhh and feels bad for the guy.

And then one of the guys outside the cage goes "Well, at he'll be used to the swelling."

I've never seen a guy hold his nuts crying and laughing at the same time before that.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Antinumeric posted:

Last night was clinch work, after some exercises on different ways of holding people and how to move between them we did some very light sparring with a point for getting the opponent on the ground or lifting them. I discovered something I've feared was true. It's me, I'm the spaz who cannot relax :( The teacher and one of the students who'd been going a bit longer kept telling me to loosen up. I'm just glad they were patient with me.

One thing though, I got my opponent in a good position (arms around neck on the inside) I just couldn't work out how to actually tip them, even moving around. I'm sure I'll work it out.

Thai Clinching???? :D

Once you get your position, just think about driving a car, spin 'em around like it's a steering wheel and pivot your body at the same time. So if you turn the steering wheel to the right, pivot on the left foot and swing the right foot behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thales
Feb 7, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

(Really long ago post about fight)

This is a weird question, but did you happen to go to sleep away camp at a place called Awosting in Connecticut?

• Locked thread