Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

whip posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVgtQ3Fp8UA

Time Magazine is interviewing EMP? :pwn:
That's pretty rad! Also giggled at the "you drivin, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If I wanted to make money I'd make a Smash clone with characters, items and locales from indie games, and release it for every digital platform known to man. I guess one big system change would be to add non-playable assists a la MvC, but really, you could pretty much just lift most of Smash's poo poo wholesale and it'd make for a fun, accessible, easily marketable game (provided you don't spent the pre-release period talking about how winning is for losers or whatever).
Reading this gave me the idea that I want to see the main character from Braid in a fighting game. I don't know what his special moves would be but his supers would be the time slow ring and a rollback super that undoes the last 3 seconds of the game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

The Rokstar posted:

Reading this gave me the idea that I want to see the main character from Braid in a fighting game. I don't know what his special moves would be but his supers would be the time slow ring and a rollback super that undoes the last 3 seconds of the game.

Meat Boy's level 3 could involve his 'replay swarm' rushing in and splattering all over the other guy.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

uncleKitchener posted:

Here's a 3D fighter with decals. Look at all those decals.

Looks like Hayabusa fell on poo poo or something.

Hayabusa fell on DOA5???

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

The biggest gap in the fighting game market right now is a ground footsies based game that isn't made for underwater babies.

I, too, miss the gently caress out of CvS2. CvS2 has an almost better SNK cast than XIII.

E: Fondly thinking of Hibiki, Geese, Rock, and even gimmicky fun shitbags like Haohmaru.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Waterbed posted:

So I have a completely off the wall question that sounds really general discussion-y but I'm actually kind of interested in hearing this from people I don't know:

What kind of fighting game would you make if you had the chance? General aesthetics and design wise.

Charles Barkley: Shut up and Jam Gaiden: Slamocaust Revolution

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

scuz posted:

Edit: Has anyone tried out the Link? Seems like a lot of money for what it is, but having a super-portable compact stick is sort of my next big project so I'm thinking it'll be worth the effort/moola. Sucks that it's only for the JLF (I'm an LS-32 guy) but...
I bought one because I managed to find some space in a traveling workbox for an xbox and stick to take on the road when I travel for work. I just got home from a trip today and it was waiting in my mailbox and seems to be as advertised. I have it installed in a JLF right now, all looks and feels as it should. The thicker base part of the shaft does seem to fit perfectly inside the dust cover that's made for a stick with the plastic covering.

Unfortunately I beat my workbox home so I don't have a stick to install it in yet, but I'll post again in a couple of days when I get all my stuff back if you want a fuller review. Any specific questions you have about it you want me to try and feel out right away?

Yea, it kinda sucks paying more for the thing than I did for the JLF but it is solid, heavy metal, probably slightly heavier than the original shaft and IMO $30 isn't that crazy to have that feature in your stick. Comes with a 3mm hex wrench and a cool sticker too. :3:

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 13, 2012

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Can someone explain to me how an arcade stick is better than a controller for playing fighting games? I rarely frequent arcades, so I can't make the distinction, although I do get frustrated with my PS3 pad's joystick at times. Due to the way you're holding the controller, it's nearly impossible to perform 360 rotations let alone 720s. Would a budget stick be a good solution to this?

doctor/prostitute
Sep 30, 2004

You really ought to lock that down

Heavy neutrino posted:

Can someone explain to me how an arcade stick is better than a controller for playing fighting games? I rarely frequent arcades, so I can't make the distinction, although I do get frustrated with my PS3 pad's joystick at times. Due to the way you're holding the controller, it's nearly impossible to perform 360 rotations let alone 720s. Would a budget stick be a good solution to this?

360s (and 720s) are one of the few things that are actually supposed to be easier on a pad than a stick, at least that's what I've been lead to believe. Most people usually prefer the d-pad to the analog stick on PS3 pads as well I think. The primary advantage to a stick is the button quality/layout, personally I find it much easier to time strict combos on arcade buttons compared to squishy pad buttons and obviously having 6/8 buttons all laid out next to each other is far better for 6 button games than having 4 face buttons + 4 shoulder buttons like a pad.

Budget sticks can be pretty hit and miss; the usual recommendation is a Madcatz SE (now replaced by their WWE Allstars Brawl stick), since they're very easy to mod later on if you decide to keep playing stick. Any cheap stick is going to come with middling parts at best that aren't likely to last more than a few months if you're playing regularly, so the ease of switching out parts is one of the main things to look for, especially since a cheap stick + sanwa parts will probably cost less than a TE while not requiring you to drop $100+ up front for something you're not sure you'll end up liking.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Heavy neutrino posted:

Arcade sticks aren't better then controllers. Use whatever you are comfortable using. Either choice is viable as long as it's wired and not wireless.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

There are definitely benefits to playing stick, but it varies from game to game and from character to character. You have a better finger-to-button ratio and it makes certain things like plinking and pianoing a lot simpler. But yeah if your problem is 360s and 720s, the answer is to stop using the analog stick. The dpad works just fine for that.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My pad->stick transition was slow but the first benefit I noticed was that my thumb wasn't getting raw from long play sessions.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Heavy neutrino posted:

Games are built with the stick layout in mind and execution is generally a hell of a lot easier with a stick and a good grip.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I would second the layout point, sticks tend to have a (IMO) superior button layout for fighting games. Having your attack buttons at your fingertips is a lot more comfortable than using thumbs or a claw grip where fighters are concerned. That's not to say that pads can't have a good layout, but there are a lot fewer of those than there are sticks. I use a madcatz fight pad myself and even that can be questionable. The sega saturn pad is said to be the best pad but getting that is at best difficult.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Use whatever you want. I just borrow poo poo from people and play alot of PC fighters so I'm good on everything, I have my weak spots like a 360 pad with sticky buttons. But for the most part if you know what you are doing you can freely change between stuff and play just/almost as well.

chumbler posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasy fighting games, are the Dissidia games decent? I'm guessing no, but you never know.

I think they are pretty fun and awesome if they were on a console people actually owned and multiplayer mode was somewhat balanced, the games would be loving amazing. But they are tailored for a single player experience, which they do quite well.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 13, 2012

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

Can someone explain to me how an arcade stick is better than a controller for playing fighting games?
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pad.html

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

ReVerve posted:

Arcade sticks aren't better then controllers. Use whatever you are comfortable using. Either choice is viable as long as it's wired and not wireless.

Some people choose to use pads depending on the game, but generally stick is a much better option for most people, once you get used to doing motions correctly on one.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I've always preferred the d-pad. With the analog stick, my control of the character feels much too loose. However, the arcade stick trumps both for the most part.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Great, now I want to try a dumb project where I get fighting games to work with my mouse.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Great, now I want to try a dumb project where I get fighting games to work with my mouse.

As someone who can't snipe in FPS's, mouse gesture fighting games would be My Personal Fighting Game Hell.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Does anyone (Cat Machine AHEM) have the video of someone doing the suicide finish with Q and it's like OWNED :milk:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

whip posted:

Does anyone (Cat Machine AHEM) have the video of someone doing the suicide finish with Q and it's like OWNED :milk:

DANGER! DANGER! HIGH VOLTAGE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Y_t8ND4z4

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
There's a new bigass MadCatz fight stick. You can buy a kit for ~20$ to connect it to another one. The stick is 200, and they are accepting pre-orders.

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5316&idCategory=414

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 14, 2012

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

All the better to shake the stick during the oppenents combo to mess them up.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
At that point you might as well just buy an empty arcade cabinet and hook up a PS3.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Or an X-Arcade Tankstick. Trying to play that with two people and no cabinet to set it in is as bad as it sounds.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Regarding the question on pad vs. stick, just play on the stick. Think of it as a challenge. If you get really bored or frustrated, place your crotch on the stick and play that way. Bonus points for pulling off Hadokens/Flash Kicks with forward thrusts.

Besides, pads just look retarded, especially the 360 pad.

Though on a serious note, I don't think you can play certain 3D fighters like Virtua Fighter competitively without a stick. Certain characters like Akira and Kage are pretty much inaccessible to you if you play on pad. Wave dashing in Tekken with a pad is a nightmare, but hell of a lot easier to it on a stick. So yeah, you're just making it hard on yourself.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Now I'm imagining a custom stick with buttons on the left hand side and a mouse-like input device on the right hand side.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

uncleKitchener posted:

Regarding the question on pad vs. stick, just play on the stick. Think of it as a challenge. If you get really bored or frustrated, place your crotch on the stick and play that way. Bonus points for pulling off Hadokens/Flash Kicks with forward thrusts.

Besides, pads just look retarded, especially the 360 pad.

Though on a serious note, I don't think you can play certain 3D fighters like Virtua Fighter competitively without a stick. Certain characters like Akira and Kage are pretty much inaccessible to you if you play on pad. Wave dashing in Tekken with a pad is a nightmare, but hell of a lot easier to it on a stick. So yeah, you're just making it hard on yourself.

Wait, isn't wave dashing easier on pad? I was always under the impression that pad players have an advantage in Tekken. I've never played it on stick, really, so I don't have much of a point of comparison.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Bovineicide posted:

Wait, isn't wave dashing easier on pad? I was always under the impression that pad players have an advantage in Tekken. I've never played it on stick, really, so I don't have much of a point of comparison.

I've never played Tekken but I remember someone earlier in the thread or in the old thread mentioned that Tekken cabinets actually had controller slots for Playstation pads.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Bovineicide posted:

Depends on the game honestly. In marvel where wavedashing is A+B spam it is easier on stick. Pad is easier to do quick directional changes because of the fact that you have to throw the analog alot shorter distance to make it read a direction input, it costs and making inputs a bit less precise, but it is way easier to do very quick all over the place motions that are often required in 3D games.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Van Ishikawa posted:

I've never played Tekken but I remember someone earlier in the thread or in the old thread mentioned that Tekken cabinets actually had controller slots for Playstation pads.

That's mainly for American players because we're more likely to play it on console here than arcade

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

uncleKitchener posted:

Here's a 3D fighter with decals. Look at all those decals.

Looks like Hayabusa fell on poo poo or something.

Is that really a see-through top? :stare: There was more effort into that than the body models (Hitomi looks European if that's her). I actually like the face renders though (they look less anime-ish).

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 14, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I don't think it is? And in all fairness, Hitomi is half German, so her looking European would make sense.

Fake Edit: Wait, you can see her bra strap through the top. Dammit. :sigh:

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
KoFXIII is a Good Game (and you all should buy it and play it) that is being streamed by FinestKO for RamNation:

http://www.twitch.tv/finestko

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
DOA5 will probably be a Fun Party Game to not really Care about, like the entire rest of the series

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzqObTAhMrE

Why have I only seen this done in live play once and it was to me? :qq:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

whip posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzqObTAhMrE

Why have I only seen this done in live play once and it was to me? :qq:

I remember spending weeks trying to be able to do that in Tekken 3.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Is the community for Tekken 6 for 360 still pretty active, and do goons even play it? Or is the online that rear end? I'm just wondering because it can be had for next to nothing and I'd honestly like to get into the game series before TTT2 drops, be it now or later.

Also is King hard to learn? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Bovineicide posted:

It's not really advantageous, it's just a case where Tekken's button layout actually makes it feasible to play well on a Playstation pad (with claw grip, of course). Wavedashing is doable on pad, but honestly the ceiling for how quickly you can do it is a lot lower than it is on a stick, in my opinion.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Is the community for Tekken 6 for 360 still pretty active, and do goons even play it? Or is the online that rear end?
The online is really rear end, so even if there are still people playing, I wouldn't bother with it. It will dumb down the game to the point that you will learn maladaptive habits that will get you wrecked later.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm just wondering because it can be had for next to nothing and I'd honestly like to get into the game series before TTT2 drops, be it now or later.

Also is King hard to learn? :v:
Despite what I said about the online, I would absolutely recommend picking up T6. There is a lot to learn, and T6 is essentially the template on which TTT2 is based. Everyone will have new moves, combos, balance changes, etc, but you'll be exponentially better off if you've actually started learning the game when it comes out.

And King isn't the easiest place to start.. he has one of the longest movelists in the game (not that you're going to use all 200+ moves in every match, but generally you don't want any of your character's moves to be a mystery to you). He is a really cool character who does a lot of things well, but my usual recommendation is for people to learn the game on a character who has as few parlor tricks and weird techniques as possible, so that you're sort of forced to learn the basics of movement, defense, poking, punishment, etc. Telling someone to learn Paul before they try King or Hwoarang is akin to recommending Ryu before you try to play Fuerte or Guy.

• Locked thread