Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

How far along would you want to be in grappling before you did a seminar? I'm still just getting my legs under me, and I don't want to waste a few hundred bucks on something way over my head.

That depends on how much money you have/can afford to spend. I'll say this in favor of seminars:

I've never trained with someone at the world-class level without having come away better or having learned something that I might not otherwise have gotten. There's something special that happens when you're exposed to talent way above what you're familiar with, and there's really no way that the experience won't be beneficial to you.

That being said whether or not it's worth it to you will depend on how easily you can afford the seminar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewski
Dec 15, 2005
Whoop-de-Whoop
Great advice.
My teacher is awesome, but we only meet 2 days a week. I like to train at least once or twice a week for conditioning on top of that too. I've recently been using focus mitts and gloves as it's a major warm-up activity for us.
I've noticed in the first month that I am using my hips in ways I hadn't really thought of before, and that my hip movement/control will be crucial if I ever want to do a tourney. What are some more "sport specific" things I can do without a gym to work on my hips?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Here's something I was typing up for my own benefit. Might as well drop it here to stir up conversation. I'm thinking about switching gyms this year, and made myself up a pros/cons list to try and help me weigh it up. I'd be keen if anyone with cage experience wants to have a look through and give me an opinion. I was thinking of kicking my training up a notch and taking a fight or two at the end of the year. Might as well take a fight or two before I pass my prime. I feel like I'll legitimize myself as a martial artist, even if I scrap MMA and just do BJJ/Judo for the rest of my life. But that's why I'm taking the decision so seriously, I intend to train the hardest I ever have and beat myself into the best shape of my life this year.

Current Gym:

Been open for some years now.
About 20 minutes drive.
Decent but not amazing facilities. Nothing's missing but mat space gets very limited on busy nights.

Wrestling: The wrestling teacher is a weird old USSR escapee. He kinda scares me. He definitely knows his poo poo with regards to wrestling, but I don't like the atmosphere of his classes.

BJJ: Has a black belt, four brown belts, a bunch of purples, etc. Our head coach is a black belt but he's not a particularly good one, he gets his rear end kicked at black-belt level competition. One of our browns is really good, but I have trouble understanding him sometimes, with his thick Brazilian accent. He has trouble explaining concepts sometimes. The black belt is usually a nice guy and his classes have a good atmosphere, but he's a bit weird and two-faced sometimes. He gets in arguments with his fighters and loses them to other gyms regularly over pay disputes and things. He has his browns teach most of the classes.

Striking: The old muay thai teacher was an excellent and world class thai guy, but he spent most of his time on his fight team and didn't care much about his non-competitive students. I also had trouble understanding him a lot of the time. He just left and I think one of his senior students is taking over.

MMA: They have a pretty good record in local MMA, one of the better gyms in the city. But the fight team actually travel around and train at other places/by themselves in their own time, behind the coach's back to supplement their training. That sounds like a lot of effort. Also, the aforementioned politics, the coach is good at upsetting his fighters and making them leave. I think he tries to insist that they teach his classes or something.

New Gym:

Just opened up.
5 minutes driving, or 10 minutes jogging.
Great facilities. They host local MMA shows here, but have just started using it as a space to teach the public as well.

Wrestling: The wrestling teachers are better teachers, and nicer. And closer to my build. They do well at local and national level competition, apparently.

Judo: They're also bringing in a judo teacher this year sometime. I like judo, and I'd no longer have to travel to a separate gym to do it. If the teacher is who I think it will be, he's a beast who crosstrains BJJ and is a decent MMA fighter in his own right, so it'd be judo with a focus on things that are applicable in no-gi.

BJJ: The BJJ teacher is a purple, but a very good purple. He went from blue to purple in 12 months and I saw him dominate the purple division at a local competition this year, with ease. He's also rising pretty fast in MMA, he's
about 6-0 or 7-0 now, I think. He's a nice guy and genuine, very driven.

Striking: I have no idea who's doing the striking, or how good it is, I haven't check it out yet.

MMA: The head teacher guy has a good MMA record, but because the gym is brand new I don't think they have any MMA fighters waving that flag yet. He used to train at my current gym until one of the aforementioned splits. I don't think the politics between the two gyms are hostile, but they're not super-friendly either.

Pros of switch:

Much closer. Easier to get to. Might start making a dramatic difference if I'm training more often than before.
More mat space.
A cage to train in.
Smaller team, more individual attention from coaches.

They seem to integrate the standing wrestling/grappling with the ground stuff in a better way. My standup is practically nonexistent. Classes at my current gym are more segregated, you learn everything at individual classes and then there's a separate "MMA" class a few nights a week if you want to put it together, while the new gym seem to teach each class with a focus on the whole package.

Cons of switch:

Downgrading from a black belt to a purple belt as a BJJ teacher.
Fewer training partners.
Would be leaving behind a few really cool training partners, though I suppose I could head back there for an open mat night every few weeks to stay in touch with them, provided I navigate the intergym politics carefully.

Other/Neutral considerations:

Both gyms are the same price, or extremely close.
Choice is pretty limited with wrestling down here. It's not a cultural thing like it is in the USA and high schools don't teach it or compete in it. (Australia)
I'm only on the lower end of a blue belt, so I still have plenty to learn from a good purple, I guess.
I have dabbled in boxing, muay thai, wrestling and judo. But I've been really inconsistent with all of them, BJJ is definitely my core.

Where's the new gym? Dip left advance? bummer

I spent the last 6 months of last year flat-out working, now I'm taking like 3 months off and training thai every day at my "home" gym, it's a nice change of pace.

Hoping to have an amateur fight in March

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

Dewski posted:

Great advice.
My teacher is awesome, but we only meet 2 days a week. I like to train at least once or twice a week for conditioning on top of that too. I've recently been using focus mitts and gloves as it's a major warm-up activity for us.
I've noticed in the first month that I am using my hips in ways I hadn't really thought of before, and that my hip movement/control will be crucial if I ever want to do a tourney. What are some more "sport specific" things I can do without a gym to work on my hips?

backwards shrimping, and you could look up youtube vids of ginastica natural. better to have a mat but a lot of it could probably be done on a soft carpet. that poo poo is great

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dewski posted:

Finally did it. After reading through the entire thread, I've signed up for BJJ. The first few weeks have been great.

What things should I be keeping in my mind as I go through the begging? I mean I keep learning little things like "don't put your arms down when in their gaurd," but what are some of the big picture things I should be thinking about?

Big picture stuff is good, but don't forget simple goals that you can accomplish as well. For instance, when you're in someones guard (a little more gi focused, but still good):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6csJu8vQjY
Get that good posture, and stay square - your shoulders are in a square with their shoulders, if they move off angle, adjust to remain square on.

You're going to have a blast, all you need to do is put the time in and stay positive! It might not feel like you're making any progress, because everyone is "leveling up" at more or less the same pace as you, but wait until a newbie comes in the door and you roll them, you'll see that this poo poo does actually work!

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I got punched it the jaw

It was cool

I'm bad at boxing

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Dont be afraid to put your weight on guys. Everyone is used to it, no one's going to think you're a dick for doing it, and the chances of hurting anyone is virtually zero.

e: but dont slam either.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
A friend of mine had a muay thai fight in Thailand yesterday, and surprisingly the video is online already. Check it out if you like this sort of thing, I think he does pretty drat good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-vRygNc8hk&feature=player_embedded

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Kumo Jr. posted:

A friend of mine had a muay thai fight in Thailand yesterday, and surprisingly the video is online already. Check it out if you like this sort of thing, I think he does pretty drat good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-vRygNc8hk&feature=player_embedded

Dude looks like Sagat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J-vRygNc8hk#t=219s
This is the catch and counter I use the most. I think it's the safest and easiest. He does it beautifully here too

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

gimpsuitjones posted:

I got punched it the jaw

It was cool

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I'd like everyone's opinion on this. If you had to pick two martial arts, one strike AND one grappling, which ones would you pick?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Savate and BJJ. If I wanted to compete, mixing them both at the same time like you would in MMA, MT and wrestling.

I, on the other hand wish to know if people pick bananas OR sweet potatoes/regular potatoes for some carbs to get through the days training

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Judo+Muay Thai. Jack of all trades, master of clinch. Bananas- I cramp easily.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I'd probably go for Judo and muay thai because that strikes me as something that would make you well rounded, would be ridiculous fun to train and would make you feel like god as soon as you grabbed someone in stand up.

Strikly for UFC style fights I'd go with Wrestling and Muay Thai probably.

Also, bananas are best and require 0 preparation. Roasted bananas are particularly awesome... Toast and eggs make me particularly happy before training though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Capoeira and Greco-Roman. I want to do a spinning upside down suplex.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Oops, I just had two full wheat rye toasts with greens, a slice of cheese and ground beef patties on top, then realized I have to do what probably amounts to 10-15 rounds of sparring in two hours. That wasn't a huge or even a particularly big meal but I might feel the beef... better go do some extra training before so I'll be used to the heavy tummy :v:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I've done clinch work with the judo + mt guy. It's like fighting a god drat brick wall that can throw you when you try and throw a knee at him.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Ligur posted:

Oops, I just had two full wheat rye toasts with greens, a slice of cheese and ground beef patties on top, then realized I have to do what probably amounts to 10-15 rounds of sparring in two hours. That wasn't a huge or even a particularly big meal but I might feel the beef... better go do some extra training before so I'll be used to the heavy tummy :v:

I can eat pretty much anything except hot dogs if I have two whole hours to digest it. It helps that my stomach usually goes into panic mode about 20 minutes before training, or exactly 25 seconds before I have to leave the house. I never have to worry about constipation so long as I'm training, at least.

With the exception of hot dogs. gently caress sausages and training.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

I can eat pretty much anything except hot dogs if I have two whole hours to digest it. It helps that my stomach usually goes into panic mode about 20 minutes before training, or exactly 25 seconds before I have to leave the house. I never have to worry about constipation so long as I'm training, at least.

With the exception of hot dogs. gently caress sausages and training.

That's how my body has always prepped for physical activity. It's like it's trying to expel anything extra that could slow me down.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

TheKingslayer posted:

That's how my body has always prepped for physical activity. It's like it's trying to expel anything extra that could slow me down.

Well now I know why I've always got to take a dump the moment I have my wraps on.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I rolled with a legit heavyweight yesterday. It was like trying to bikini wax a grizzly. I started in his guard and he just bench-pressed me into the air before crushing me with side control.

I'm a goony 230+ right now, and this tells me it would be loving suicide to compete at anything heavier than 185. Guess I shouldn't have had all that Nathan's for lunch. :kiddo:

mewse
May 2, 2006

long shot but does anyone have a link or copy/paste to the post from the old thread about the ninjitsu class where they shut the lights out and when they turned them back on, half the students were on the ground and there was a guy hanging upside down from the ceiling?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
They had forgone the healthy, delicious, potassium rich bananas and had kebab dinner instead, with extra fries just before class right? The guy hanging from the ceiling was trying to safely demonstrate wall climbing just when the guy who ran to the crapper mistook the general power switch for the toilet light.

I have that figured out.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Oh great. It's competition time again. 25-26. of February I get the opportunity to compete in bjj gi and nogi following ibjjf rules for both.
I just have to decide whether or not my fragile psyche can handle another embarrassing tournament miss, except now I'll get to waste my time and money in the advanced class instead. But on the bright side, that's not as bad as the opportunity to lose spectacularly in white belt Gi.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Oh great. It's competition time again. 25-26. of February I get the opportunity to compete in bjj gi and nogi following ibjjf rules for both.
I just have to decide whether or not my fragile psyche can handle another embarrassing tournament miss, except now I'll get to waste my time and money in the advanced class instead. But on the bright side, that's not as bad as the opportunity to lose spectacularly in white belt Gi.

I dunno if this is will help you or not but I recently developed a new mentality for competition that I feel has immensely helped my mental game (I used to get super bad nerves before I competed, like shaking and sweating before I even stepped on the mat).

There is no mystery with a match. You will either win, or you will lose. Those are the only two possible outcomes. If you win, cool you won. If you lose, cool you have something new you KNOW you need to improve on. So relax and enjoy yourself, because if you're not enjoying what you're doing why do it?

The idea behind this mentality is that the process of learning and improving is more important the the immediate result of winning, especially for us who are still new to MAs and competing. Even for those who are more experienced, there is still probably something that you can still be working to improve. That being said, good luck!

johnwayne'smom
Oct 16, 2004
i wish i had an evil twin
Cortisone is awesome! Sprained my hamstring/possibly tore my meniscus at the very beginning of November and missed two months of training. I've been back the last ten days after getting a cortisone shot in my knee and after hurting like a bitch for about a week seems to have really helped a lot. I missed jiu jitsu so much I get a lil teary eyed thinking about it. There's something about strangling another human that just can't be replaced with any other recreational activity. I might still have a damaged meniscus but as long as my major ligaments are ok I'm not too bummed out.

I'm both better and worse than I expected to be getting back on the mat. Passing any guard, playing half guard, and any attempt at butterfly have been horribly awkward and lovely feeling because of the pain and worry involved in compressing my knee all the way. I also have been getting crushed under side control from big guys because I can't shrimp that well on the bad leg so I just wait to go to turtle, let them try to take my back and work out from there.

But for some reason I've been tapping people with the greatest of ease from my closed guard with the basic cross choke. I don't have any fancy set ups, I hardly ever hit it before, in fact I never really even thought about it rolling pre hurting myself. But I took two months off and now it's my favorite thing to do and I'm randomly successful with it. I find this really odd, I think my subconscious was doing something jiu jitsu related while I was drinking beer and eating pizza. Also, for any of the more advanced guys, what is your go to sweep when your opponent goes to defend the collar choke? I was thinking since you have the deep collar grip and they're bringing their hands up to defend, you can just grab the sleeve and you'd be in a good position to scissor sweep if you scoot back and get them up on your knee. I haven't actually tried this yet I was just thinking what to do when you don't quite have the choke in.

Has anybody ever come back from injury or long breaks and actually feel like their technique sort of improved? I may just be kidding myself but the brain works in mysterious ways.

LeapFrog
Nov 9, 2011
Is there a specific martial art you would recommend to someone who has never tried it before, wants to lose a bit of weight, has social anxiety and is shy? I've looked a bit into some different ones, but was wondering what you thought. Or if there's things I should know if I keep looking. Thanks.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

LeapFrog posted:

Is there a specific martial art you would recommend to someone who has never tried it before, wants to lose a bit of weight, has social anxiety and is shy? I've looked a bit into some different ones, but was wondering what you thought. Or if there's things I should know if I keep looking. Thanks.

Do capoeira, then you'll become less shy as a bonus.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

LeapFrog posted:

BJJ or any form of grappling basically. You won't get punched in the face and everyone is friendly. The sheer amount of physical contact might be embarrassing at the beginning but soon enough you'll be talking like this:

KingColliwog posted:

Grappling is the heterosexual art of hugging big muscular dudes while furiously moving your hips around until the opponent can no longer take it. It is sometime done with a pajama on, sometime in form fitting synthetic clothing. So you need to learn how to move your hips furiously if you want to stand a chance

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

LeapFrog posted:

Kung Fu or Karate most definitely. People here will scream BJJ and wrestling because it's all they know, but Kung Fu and Karate will do wonders for fitness, and shyness. You're not forced at any point on the spot like with capoiera or boxing or wrestling, and can take your time to address the issues you need to address. Just make sure you are addressing them at some point.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

See a lot of people choosing Judo for a grappling art, but wouldn't jiujitsu be better, I mean, isn't judo just a more peaceful version of jiudjitsu? (isn't it?)

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I wouldn't describe Judo as peaceful...

They both came from the same roots iirc and are very similar. As for which is better don't forget Kimura beat Hélio.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

LeapFrog posted:

I wouldn't worry much about the art in itself. For a beginner, and especially on with social anxiety, I'd say the most important factor is the culture at the gym you go to. All martial arts, barring maybe stuff like ninjitsu, will give you a good workout when you are starting out anyway. So my suggestion is to check your local area for gyms, visit a few of them and go for the one where you feel most comfortable with the instructors and other students. Maybe make a quick check to make sure that the gym isn't one of those places that try and fleece thir students by locking them into long term contracts.

When you have trained for a few months and start to get more comfortable you can start worrying about what specific martial art you would prefer and what you want to get out of it, self defence, competition or just exercise.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

LeapFrog posted:

And if the kicking of, say, Kun Fu and Karate put you off, I know many 25+ guys who have flexibility issues and don't enjoy going through being awful at kicks for five years, just check out if there's a gym that offers boxing/fitness boxing on the side and go check it out. It doesn't need to be a place where they train pro's or anything.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Actually yeah, boxing. Remember it's a martial art just as much as Judo or MT is. And if you are just starting even shadow boxing (can be done in your own room!) is really tiring/ good exercise.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Mr Interweb posted:

See a lot of people choosing Judo for a grappling art, but wouldn't jiujitsu be better, I mean, isn't judo just a more peaceful version of jiudjitsu? (isn't it?)

Judo is more throw focused, while bjj is focused on what you do when you get to the ground. I'm not sure what 'peaceful' means in this context. Judo has a cool philosophy behind it, doing things efficiently and not wasting force, but you're also being thrown, so you're going to be taking those impacts.

You've been asking these questions for a while now. I dont know if we can give you the answers you're looking for. Find out what's available in your area, talk to instructors, and sign up for a practice class, and dont worry about it so much.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
You can even post some of the places you find here if you are not uncomfortable with that, and ask us what our expert opinion™ is. We can spot McDojos, decent sports clubs (which could be what you are looking for) or serious martial arts gyms from thousands of miles away!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Meat Recital posted:

Judo is more throw focused, while bjj is focused on what you do when you get to the ground. I'm not sure what 'peaceful' means in this context. Judo has a cool philosophy behind it, doing things efficiently and not wasting force, but you're also being thrown, so you're going to be taking those impacts.

"Peaceful" in the sense that judo's something to help you simply disable your opponents, whereas jiujitsu is something that causes you to maim/kill your opponent.

quote:

You've been asking these questions for a while now. I dont know if we can give you the answers you're looking for. Find out what's available in your area, talk to instructors, and sign up for a practice class, and dont worry about it so much.

Honestly? It's cause I've been watching a lot of Human Weapon/Fight Quest, and there just seems to be so many cool martial arts. Each time I see something I like, I find another that seems pretty appealing too.

I realize it may be annoying with all these questions, but I find them useful, since some people bring me back down to Earth when I'm in an enamored state with a certain martial art (someone in this thread mentioned jeet kun do is useless and silat probably doesn't exist and that made me sad).

In any case, I do appreciate everyone's advice in this thread.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Ligur posted:

And if the kicking of, say, Kun Fu and Karate put you off, I know many 25+ guys who have flexibility issues and don't enjoy going through being awful at kicks for five years, just check out if there's a gym that offers boxing/fitness boxing on the side and go check it out. It doesn't need to be a place where they train pro's or anything.

On that note, what are some good ways to improve flexibility, besides just kicking/grappling more? My flexibility remains abhorrent, can't land a decent high kick or do fancy leg control on the ground to save my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Rhaka posted:

On that note, what are some good ways to improve flexibility, besides just kicking/grappling more? My flexibility remains abhorrent, can't land a decent high kick or do fancy leg control on the ground to save my life.

Stretching. It's really boring though, so I avoid doing it.

• Locked thread