Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

I've been playing through this game the last couple of weeks and it's really fun. Frustrating, but quite fun.

One question though, I'm in the Painted World of Aramis and the giant heart dudes keep giving me the toxic status after I kill them. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I'm out of blooming purple moss.

They also don't explode into toxin if you kill them with fire damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

It's not them giving you toxic, it's their death. When you kill them, they explode into a cloud of fuckyou. I used a halberd and prodded them to death and immediately rolled backwards when I knew it was about to die

There are a couple other ways to conteract this: Parrying and backstabs. If they're killed by either, their death animation doesn't trigger the toxic cloud and you're home free.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Jetpack Postman posted:

There are a couple other ways to conteract this: Parrying and backstabs. If they're killed by either, their death animation doesn't trigger the toxic cloud and you're home free.

This is pretty awesome. My spear pretty much made it a non-issue but next game I'll definitely be backstabbing every one of them

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

If you kick a guy off a cliff, can they still drop items, or do you lose out on that opportunity?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Day Man posted:

If you kick a guy off a cliff, can they still drop items, or do you lose out on that opportunity?

Most of the guys, just quit and reload and their items should be there.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Sunblood posted:

Almost, but I want to have something run through every possible combination of armor and say "Wear this, this, this, and this to get exactly 50% encumbrance and the most poise."

Just to expand on this from a couple pages back, I ended up exporting a massive text file of *every* different combination of equipment. Over ten million different configuration. With a little Excel implementation and deciding on Mask of the Mother as a starting point, I managed to put together that at:

40 END (34.5 enc left after Zwei + Hollow soldier shield for 50%)
RoFaP
Dark Grain Wood Ring

I can put together Havel's Armor, Xanthous Gloves, and Havel's Leggings for 170 Def and 75 poise and still flip around like a madman with my ring. I might get a screenshot because the spreadsheet looks so drat cool and useful. Unfortunately the giant text file with all the configurations is over a gigabyte...

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Rough Lobster posted:

First, are you doing PVP or PVE?

Sometimes in PVP the lag between players can cause inputs to come out weird. Backstabs are notoriously finicky.

For PVE, you have to make sure you're shield is down when you try. Backstabs are also a little weird if you're not used to finding 'the sweet spot'. I recommend that every player goes through the undead burg once or twice more, and kill every enemy with backstabs and especially ripostes, it can really help.

Thanks for the response, it has been inconvenient but that's probably what's going on.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Sunblood posted:

Unfortunately the giant text file with all the configurations is over a gigabyte...

:stare: I knew this game was complex but holy poo poo that is a ton of permutations

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sunblood posted:

Just to expand on this from a couple pages back, I ended up exporting a massive text file of *every* different combination of equipment. Over ten million different configuration. With a little Excel implementation and deciding on Mask of the Mother as a starting point, I managed to put together that at:

RoFaP
Dark Grain Wood Ring

I can put together Havel's Armor, Xanthous Gloves, and Havel's Leggings for 170 Def and 75 poise and still flip around like a madman with my ring. I might get a screenshot because the spreadsheet looks so drat cool and useful. Unfortunately the giant text file with all the configurations is over a gigabyte...

:stare:

e: there needs to be a :stare: + :spergin: emote

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

:stare: I knew this game was complex but holy poo poo that is a ton of permutations

There are just over two hundred individual pieces of equipment which doesn't sound like much until you divide them between four separate slots and suddenly two hundred turns into ten million. Now imagine a game like Diablo (even Diablo 1) where there are billions upon billions of potential items and you have like eight slots (Thirteen(!!) in Diablo 3) and the numbers are astronomical. I'd say Dark Souls is on the upper limit of these kinds of "possible" calculations.

I only did barebones stock sets, too. Imagine if I tried to do upgrade levels...

rockem
Aug 4, 2010

:krad:
Am I the only one who doesn't use Ring of Favor and Protection? I just get wary of not having total flexibility and variety. :blush:

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

rockem posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't use Ring of Favor and Protection? I just get wary of not having total flexibility and variety. :blush:

The unbelievable increase it gives to Health, Stamina, AND Encumbrance is really too big to ignore. I get along fine just switching out one ring for Astorias/Charred/Rusty/Covetous when I need it.

I wonder if you're allowed to wear TWO..

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Sunblood posted:

The unbelievable increase it gives to Health, Stamina, AND Encumbrance is really too big to ignore. I get along fine just switching out one ring for Astorias/Charred/Rusty/Covetous when I need it.

NOPE :fuckoff:

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Sunblood posted:

RoFaP
Dark Grain Wood Ring

Why not use Havel's Armor, Giant Gauntlets +5, and Hollow Soldier's Waistcloth+10 for 182 Defense, 75 Poise and less weight?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

L-O-N posted:

Why not use Havel's Armor, Giant Gauntlets +5, and Hollow Soldier's Waistcloth+10 for 182 Defense, 75 Poise and less weight?

Because I don't have anything upgraded and :science: my calculations :science: didn't account for it. This is a very raw process that I plan to refine :)

rockem
Aug 4, 2010

:krad:

Sunblood posted:

Fine, I'll wear it.

But my pristine collection of Mega-Elixirs will never touch my mortal lips. :colbert:

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
If you can account for max upgrades, I'd love to get it even if it is 1GB+.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

rockem posted:

I don't either. One character put it on by mistake and now that yellow arrow just looks like a middle finger, taunting me.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

L-O-N posted:

If you can account for max upgrades, I'd love to get it even if it is 1GB+.

Converting raw stats to combined stats takes about eight hours of pure automated processing and file writing, so this is no trivial summation. I will certainly create a sheet of totally maxed equipment but it won't be done anytime soon. Stick around :)

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Sunblood posted:

Converting raw stats to combined stats takes about eight hours of pure automated processing and file writing, so this is no trivial summation. I will certainly create a sheet of totally maxed equipment but it won't be done anytime soon. Stick around :)

I'll be looking forward to it as well.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

rockem posted:

I didn't wear it my first playthrough, but my second time around I'm wearing it. Mostly because I've put all of two points into vitality and endurance this time, so I need something to boost my hp and endurance. The ring plus mask of the mother gives me enough hitpoints to not get instantly killed by later bosses/enemies. The rest of my points can go into Dexterity! Although I put quite a few into intelligence thinking I was going to be a sorceror this time, until I realized I needed to be level 36 to use soul spear...

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It really is the best ring in the game by a huge margin, and it improves as you get more powerful. I don't think there's any reason to not wear it unless you're just being a cool dude and running the game with an interesting character build.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Since I started rollin' with the Xanthos turban and a giant loving greatclub, I've been getting summoned a LOT more often.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Fonzarelli posted:

It really is the best ring in the game by a huge margin, and it improves as you get more powerful. I don't think there's any reason to not wear it unless you're just being a cool dude and running the game with an interesting character build.

Really, it scales with your soul level? That's pretty cool and is making me reconsider wearing it on my NG+~ character.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Chard posted:

Really, it scales with your soul level? That's pretty cool and is making me reconsider wearing it on my NG+~ character.

It scales in the sense that, for example, 20% of 1000 health is more than 20% of 600 health.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ah, I just assumed it was a fixed bouns, like 200 hp etc, something like that, and never tested it. God, 20% is huge. Now I think I have to use it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I'm currently running with bellowing/lingering for my sorcerer and I'm pretty happy with it, so doubt I'll change to RoFaP.

Fury Gagarin
Oct 24, 2011
Anyone else having issues of players invading during a co-op session, but without any "invaded" warnings and the invader not actually being visible? It's happened twice so far. I'll get summoned to help somebody, only to watch them swing at air and lose health to apparently nothing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Fury Gagarin posted:

Anyone else having issues of players invading during a co-op session, but without any "invaded" warnings and the invader not actually being visible? It's happened twice so far. I'll get summoned to help somebody, only to watch them swing at air and lose health to apparently nothing.

This is possibly probably them fighting an NPC in their world. Where were you when this happened?

I have on occasion not seen any invader message before a wraith showed up when I was assisting someone. They were visible and attackable though.

Fury Gagarin
Oct 24, 2011
It happened to me once in Anor Londo, then again in New Londo Ruins. I'm hoping those were just isolated incidents; I don't want to keep standing around looking like an idiot instead of helping them out.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I loved the hell out of the Four Kings fight, and now I am sad that it's done. I'll probably change my tune when I finally start a NG+...

So the bosses I have left are Seath, Firesage, Bed of Chaos, and the last boss, right? Am I forgetting any?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

I loved the hell out of the Four Kings fight, and now I am sad that it's done. I'll probably change my tune when I finally start a NG+...

So the bosses I have left are Seath, Firesage, Bed of Chaos, and the last boss, right? Am I forgetting any?

Centipede Demon, but that's just the "official" boss of Demon Ruins instead of Firesage. Firesage is more like a dopey filler midboss that really shouldn't be there.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
So I've been trying this faith-heavy build and am trying to find a good weapon to use. I'm using a divine +5 mace, with 30 faith, but it seems as if faith weapons are really lacking till like later on when you have access to +10 divine and occult. What is everyone's favorite faith-based weapon? I'm having so much more trouble beating this game with casting miracles than I did with a straight-up no magic/miracles character.

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)
The only faith weapon I like on my faith dude is Grant, but even at 50 faith/STR it's barely better than the much lighter Dragon Tooth. Faith weapons suck :|

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Oxxidation posted:

Centipede Demon, but that's just the "official" boss of Demon Ruins instead of Firesage. Firesage is more like a dopey filler midboss that really shouldn't be there.

It was such a midboss, I didn't expect him. I honestly thought I was done with the large fat demons, but then they set one on fire, in a tight enclosed space that hosed with your camera.

Dark souls.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sunblood posted:

RoFaP
Dark Grain Wood Ring

Man what the hell doing this in Excel and just using pivot tables should not make it more than like 10MB.

Unless there's something I'm overlooking just go something like

Category - Item Name - Poise - Defense 1 - Defense 2 - Defense 3 - Weight

Do you have a list in a format like that.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Having not played in a month, I just beat Capra first time with 11 vitality, the antiquated set and a target shield. :darksouls:

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man what the hell doing this in Excel and just using pivot tables should not make it more than like 10MB.

Unless there's something I'm overlooking just go something like

Category - Item Name - Poise - Defense 1 - Defense 2 - Defense 3 - Weight

Do you have a list in a format like that.

Amateur programmer here, I don't know what pivot tables are, but my data looks like this

Helm 1 - Armor 1 - Hand 1 - Leg 1 - (combined stats)
Helm 1 - Armor 1 - Hand 1 - Leg 2 - (combined stats)
Helm 5 - Armor 31 - Hand 15 - Leg 1 - (combined stats)

Which is horribly obtuse, I know, but it's literally a static list of every possible combination.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Sunblood posted:

Your avatar is literally what I look like right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, I played this for the first time last night, got to the fire-whatsit shrine and spent hours trying to kill the nasty skeletons in the little graveyard path. I was actually making progress, and was working on killing the big gently caress-off skeleton, when I finally realized that I was supposed to take a different path to start off. I then proceeded to blow through the zombies that were surrounded by marks warning of !!!tough zombis!!!.

I'm not sure if I am going to be great or horrible at this game. :blush:

• Locked thread