Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

MikeJF posted:

I'm going with "I killed her because she got mouthy and I was having a bad day". Xykon would probably accept that better than any other lie.

Who's lying? That statement is technically accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, the last time he tried to kill her he didn't even blink. I doubt it will be much different this time. Plus Xykon is all about, "She broke into my room so I took her life." Power is power.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Verr posted:

Yeah, the last time he tried to kill her he didn't even blink. I doubt it will be much different this time. Plus Xykon is all about, "She broke into my room so I took her life." Power is power.

I think you mean this one.

e: but while Xykon isn't a planner, he's proven himself extremely canny in the moment and a very good manipulator. While plot necessities mean that the Xykon and Redcloak tag-team aren't going to break up until the end of the strip, Xykon is going to notice that Redcloak is lying to him even if he doesn't call him out on it.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 23, 2012

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The difference between the two times Redcloak used deadly force against Tsukiko is a year of, in Xykon's viewpoint, total bullshit spent doing nothing of worth, punctuated by a near-crisis with his phylactery that destroyed what little faith he placed in Redcloak. It's likely that, yes, Xykon will do absolutely nothing about Tsukiko's death. What he WILL do is something horrible beyond measure for the loss of a useful tool. We just might not see it until the best/worst possible time.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I get the feeling that Xykon found Tsukiko annoying. IIRC, becoming a lyche destroyed his sex drive, which would make Tsukiko, with her crush, seem a bit clingy. Add to that that she didn't seem to share many of the "hanging out watching TV" moments that Redcloak and the Monster did with him which he seemed to find enjoyable. So though I do get the feeling he won't do much about her death, something is going to have to happen as he needs to start moving either west or north soon.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem is that Xykon is unpredictable (or unpredictably written, depending on how you look at it).

It wouldn't be out of character for him to have completely forgotten Tsukiko exists.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, that got ugly fast. Jesus Redcloak.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It's up in the air how Xykon would react to Tsukiko's death, but it would likely end badly for Redcloak.

But nobody even KNOWS that she's dead, much less that Redcloak killed her.

Xykon has been notified that his Phylactery has been found.
The Phylactery has since been taken by the Resistance.
Tsukiko was in charge of suppressing the Resistance.
The Cloister spell makes it basically impossible to scry or magically contact those under its effects, like O-Chul.
Tsukiko was almost certainly under the effects of Cloister.

If Redcloak says she left the city chasing after the resistance, he could potentially buy himself a few months of time.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The thing is, he gave her a specific job to do (research the ritual) and for her to die mysteriously (or just vanish) will still provoke some questions in Xykon's eyes. On the other hand, since Xykon knows that the phylactery was found, I suppose Redcloak could get away with the "I sent Tsukiko and her crew after the Resistance to get your phylactery back" or some such.

But between the destruction of the Resistance and Tsukiko's murder, Rich has done a nice job of moving Redcloak up from "Powerful Minion" to "Player in his own right" and one who is, in his own way, as dangerous as Xykon precisely because he's willing and able to play the long game and hit you subtly, neither of of which Xykon is capable of.

Sadly, this does mean we'll never get the Haley-Tsukiko make-out session. Ah, well. That's the price of drama.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

What if the undead minions don't know in which order they were created?!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well, whatever Xykon might decide to do on finding that Tsukiko is missing/dead/etc, it can hardly be worse than what he would do if she had survived to tell him about the ritual. Redcloak knows he's taking a risk, sure, but letting her live and blab like an idiot was surefire doom. Better a half chance than none.

Xykon is not a great planner, but he probably realizes that if he blasts Redcloak he'll be without the high-level divine caster he needs. He might decide to turn some screws on him or humiliate Redcloak some more, but we already know Redcloak is willing to stomach a lot to play the long game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
And so the list of characters I'm thoroughly sick of and hope die or become irrelevant becomes one name long.

(Nale)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

terminal mehmet posted:

What if the undead minions don't know in which order they were created?!
Worse, imagine if they start quarrelling about whether Redcloak meant first-to-last or last-to-first.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The Cloister spell makes it basically impossible to scry or magically contact those under its effects, like O-Chul.
Tsukiko was almost certainly under the effects of Cloister.

Again, you can do what you want between two Cloistered individuals.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

MikeJF posted:

Again, you can do what you want between two Cloistered individuals.

Then why couldn't Xykon or Tsukiko scry on O-Chul?

Tsukiko: Scrying on his holy rear end was the first thing we tried, but only epic magic can find him now. And sure, Xykon's epic, but divination isn't exactly his forte.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Yeah, I think you're conflating how you can teleport and so forth within the Cloister. This is the strip Stabbey_The_Clown mentioned, which disproves it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I thought it worked within the Cloister, but not on subjects that leave (and bring their own mini-Cloister effect with them)?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, this strip says you can scry and do whatever within the cloister. Given what Tsukiko said about O'Chul, I guess that doesn't include people who leave and take the effect with them.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Looks like Rich managed to hit his kickstarter goal in two days, just about all of the special packages aside from the books themselves are sold out.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LightWarden posted:

Looks like Rich managed to hit his kickstarter goal in two days, just about all of the special packages aside from the books themselves are sold out.

I'm not surprised; OOTS is justifiably popular and loved by its fans.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 24, 2012

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

LightWarden posted:

Thankfully, you can still pledge $10! I was worried for a minute that I'd be locked out of pledging $10 for the PDF of O-Chul's adventures.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, the strip has gotten even darker than usual lately, hasn't it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Speedball posted:

Your name. That phrase. Batman's Shameful Secret.

My braaaaaaain :supaburn:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

God drat, Redcloak. He does not gently caress around when he wants poo poo done.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Colon V posted:

Your name. That phrase. Batman's Shameful Secret.

My braaaaaaain :supaburn:

Hey, everybody goes through their own dark period. Some are better-recieved than others.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

After reading Start of Darkness, yeah. It can get really grim.

I honestly will say that I'll miss Tsukiko. She was an interesting bitchy foil to Redcloak but really that's what makes losing her so sad. This poo poo can get so brutally hardcore. It's amazing how Burlew can write such hateable characters but make them die so horribly that you can't help but feel bad for them.

Redcloak doesn't even blink, either. What a stone cold motherfucker.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

He can't blink, and winking here seemed inappropriate.

Anyway, Xykon is sufficiently canny to notice how obviously suspiscious the death is. More to the point, he knows that Redcloak's not the type just to up and kill someone who annoys him if they're part of a larger plan - otherwise he'd have killed Tsukiko in the last year already. The timing and everything will signal that Redcloak has something to hide.

I guess the only question is whether Xykon will feel like making a big deal of it now (like, say, nuking the hobgoblin city on his way out) or whether he'll play dumb and file it away for later.

They might get into some serious "I know you know that I know you know" stuff, to be honest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I also have to admit that I'm wondering if some of this is a fakeout. It feels really odd for her to confront Redcloak like that, even if she thought she had ghouls onhand. It really feels unlikely that she had no plans or backups in place, even if it was just a note under her pillow that said "FYI: Xylon, Redcloak probably killed me. Also you were super hot, can I haunt you?"

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
So what happens to the now masterless undead hordes she's been raising over the last year? Do they all crumble to dust, go crazy, or follow their last orders given?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Do we have any idea who the dead hobgoblin is? Redcloak let him into his room, and specifically avoided calling him a janitor - what else would he be doing there?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Day 3 of the kickstarter: Rich has raised double his goal and sold everything including the $5000 D&D character walk-on. He also added in new rewards: $67 gets you all three of the "print-only" books- Origin of PCs, Start of Darkness, and the Dragon Tales collection, $61 gets you War and XPs and Origin of PCs, $26 gets Origin of PCs. All of those get magnets.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 25, 2012

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Did anyone in this thread pledge 1250? I'm just wondering who he's going to do backstory on. Also it's really cool to see this sort of fan-author interaction going on.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
I missed this, but he has updates, and if it hits 120k (only a few thousand left) then we get a mystery prize and if it hits 140k then Paladin Blues comes back in print.

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
How likely is it that Tsukiko's *death* will actually be noticed? Redcloak had her wights eat her, so presumably there isn't any real evidence left that anything happened, just a mysterious disappearance.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Xyklon's a creature of instinct as much as anything, so Redcloak's assessment of him as just another tool is actually not far off. If it were any other lich I'd disagree, but in this particular case...

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I hope he hits like 250k so that I can buy all the books.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So it turns out that "I'm going to ruin your plans, haha! What do you have to say to that, Mister Barely Regards Me As a Person With Value?" is not a smart sentiment to express.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
She's been getting away with this crap for months. People get incautious, and begin to believe they're entitled to what they get away with. Example, the Civil War.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

She's been getting away with this crap for months. People get incautious, and begin to believe they're entitled to what they get away with. Example, the Civil War.

I've heard it referred to as "getting comfortable", which I've always liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mystic Mongol posted:

Not just that - she thought Redcloak would fold because every time she had a conflict with him he'd back down. She thought it was because he was soft, but it reality it was because Redcloak is strong enough in his dedication to The Plan that he's willing to put up with a lot of personal poo poo from people in order to further it. But the moment those people threaten The Plan, well...

It also makes perfect sense that Tsukiko is a terrible judge of human(oid) behavior. Her whole thing is she doesn't get along with living people and prefers the company of the reanimated dead, to which she has a creepy mothering instinct towards. Misreading Redcloak was entirely in character for her, above and beyond the fact that we knew she was prone to making bad decisions by virtue of being a Mystic Theurge in the first place.