Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Fighterpedia is awesome. The Weapon Lord video is a must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AXE COP posted:

I don't know what this is, but I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwbgGXAdaA

The Metro City x Southtown one is also pretty awesome.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Does she a have a tracking move besides f+3?

It's kind of a lovely tracking move, but her db+3 (I think) tracks to her left, though she's still weak in that area, but not entirely lovely.

The VGF Podcast covers her pretty thoroughly, so I suggest you give it a listen.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9Fnch8JQs

Wow, FChamp has so much hatred in his little Filipino heart.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Dias posted:

So, would anyone say this guy shouldn't be kicked on the face? like, several times, seriously, this is a real idiot.

Just to remember, this is the guy who used to love playing money matches with Daigo's Ryu in his lovely 7-3 matchup but didn't wanna play Sako using Cammy, plus, he used to play Phoenix in mvc3. And now is asking who the gently caress players like kazunoko is, really? just one of the best guilty gear players, a game FChamp wouldn't have the skills to even start playing.

(this might be the best youtube comment section in recent history)

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Dias posted:

Holy poo poo this is so sad

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Dias posted:

"Man, this guy whose picture I keep in my drawer? Total fag." :gay:

Edit: This is recorded from a stream, right? Doesn't seem like something anyone would post in hindsight.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Is there a reason I should care that someone said a thing

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Okay, so now we have a thread about Melty Blood.

Play it. Post in the thread about how awesome the game is. Because the game is awesome.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
If we can get away from the drama for just one second, does anyone have a decent link for a sort of "jargon encyclopedia" of fighting games? I've been playing them for twenty-odd years now and I still don't know exactly what the gently caress you people are talking about with your footsies, pokes and meaties.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Not really, but I thought it was hilarious.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Brett824 posted:

So, would anyone say this guy shouldn't be kicked on the face? like, several times, seriously, this is a real idiot.

Just to remember, this is the guy who used to love playing money matches with Daigo's Ryu in his lovely 7-3 matchup but didn't wanna play Sako using Cammy, plus, he used to play Phoenix in mvc3. And now is asking who the gently caress players like kazunoko is, really? just one of the best guilty gear players, a game FChamp wouldn't have the skills to even start playing.

(this might be the best youtube comment section in recent history)

No filipino champ owns actually.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I think it's more about laughing at him and/or feeling sorry for him than caring really.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

redmercer posted:

If we can get away from the drama for just one second, does anyone have a decent link for a sort of "jargon encyclopedia" of fighting games? I've been playing them for twenty-odd years now and I still don't know exactly what the gently caress you people are talking about with your footsies, pokes and meaties.

I don't know of one in particular, but footsies are where the players are throwing out normals at each other, trying to establish an ideal amount of space or a certain situation. This happens a ton in SF4 in particular. Marvel doesn't have quite as much, but it's still there, especially in Marvel 2.

Pokes are a common part of footsies, where you attack with a normal that sticks out really far.

Meaties are where you perform an attack as someone is getting up so that they're either forced to block or reversal. Reversal being a special move done immediately after wakeup, but they'll usually block. You can also bait out reversals and punish them.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Jmcrofts posted:

No filipino champ owns actually.

That's a c/p

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

redmercer posted:

This is the old-school dictionary. A lot of newer terms from the post-SF4 era aren't included, but it's a good start:

http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfterms.html

quote:

footsies - subset of zoning focusing primarily on close range normals, where the most common goals are to knock the opponent down and set up crossup opportunities

meaty - causing an attack to hit midway into its attack duration in order to decrease the period of time between impact and the natural end of the attack, giving the opponent less time to recover before following up with another attack; most commonly performed after a knockdown

poke - safe mid or long range attack

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

AXE COP posted:

That's a c/p

Oh god, it's me! I've been trolled! By youtube comments :qq:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dias posted:

I respect this.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dias posted:

That chewtoy needs to cool it~!

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Most of the claims he was making was true, viper and seth can force rock paper scissors and ignore footsies. My only problem is that Kazunoko and Poongko are straight up about their own abilities. They aren't BIG FAT PHONIES unless you are talking about what spectators think.

Poongko said in a interview that he got lucky against Daigo, and Kaz told James Chen in a interview that he is not good at footsies. They still want to win, so, obviously they are gonna play whatever character is gonna give them the best chance of winning, which isn't going to be trying to outfootsie daigo.

Especially for a sponsored professional, dude should hate the game instead of the players.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
For all of us Dr Sub-Zero fans out there (which really should be every single person in this thread), he was on Cross Counter Live recently. Here's the VOD, he appears about 16 minutes in:

http://thestream.tv/cross-counter-live-119/

soonmide
Sep 10, 2006

If I wanted to get into playing some Guilty Gear, what would be a good resource site? I've only really played SF4 before and all the stuff going on in GG seems hard to practice without knowing what to practice.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Dias posted:

Daigo isn't a fraud. Check out rare footage of Daigo's victory dance~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYVvVY33E4&t=29s

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

soonmide posted:

If I wanted to get into playing some Guilty Gear, what would be a good resource site? I've only really played SF4 before and all the stuff going on in GG seems hard to practice without knowing what to practice.
Dustloop, pretty much.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

40 OZ posted:

Most of the claims he was making was true, viper and seth can force rock paper scissors and ignore footsies. My only problem is that Kazunoko and Poongko are straight up about their own abilities. They aren't BIG FAT PHONIES unless you are talking about what spectators think.

Poongko said in a interview that he got lucky against Daigo, and Kaz told James Chen in a interview that he is not good at footsies. They still want to win, so, obviously they are gonna play whatever character is gonna give them the best chance of winning, which isn't going to be trying to outfootsie daigo.

Especially for a sponsored professional, dude should hate the game instead of the players.

No but you see jumping around and doing mixups requires just as much skill as footsies, you guys are just haters. :qq:

- what many SF4 players actually believe

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

redmercer posted:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games

footsies: http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

Zand fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 26, 2012

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Cross Assault videos are coming out and so far Xian's is my favorite so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiONTvgAGWE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

The face he gives to the camera after that sick K' combo is too hilarious. Hope that guy makes it.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I have to agree, that face he makes after the K' combo is goddamn hilarious.

:smug: Want to see what I can do with two hands?

I'm surprised he didn't have a Tekken game waiting for him; his eyebrows are all Mishima.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

No but you see jumping around and doing mixups requires just as much skill as footsies, you guys are just haters. :qq:

- what many SF4 players actually believe

I dunno if anyone believes that, it's more that whining about "Yun faggots" like a 12-year-old on Xbox Live may not be the most convincing way of presenting your thesis!

I'm sure he has one or more actual points buried somewhere somewhere under the weepy, drunken bellyaching, but "this player is a Yun/Seth player, what a human being" is actually pretty far from "Yun/Seth's gameplay style is not as skill-based as Ryu's".

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 26, 2012

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I didn't watch the video because I could not give less of a poo poo about what some pro player said on a stream, just talking generally.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PonchAxis posted:

Cross Assault videos are coming out and so far Xian's is my favorite so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiONTvgAGWE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

The face he gives to the camera after that sick K' combo is too hilarious. Hope that guy makes it.

Xian has nothing on Steven. He likes to Street Fight and has the most godlike knuckles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uim-Yoq0P18&feature=youtu.be.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Ashenai posted:

I dunno if anyone believes that

A shitload of people believe that, it's a huge contentious issue, I've argued it here lots of times.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

40 OZ posted:

A shitload of people believe that, it's a huge contentious issue, I've argued it here lots of times.

In favor or against?

I mean, speaking as a fan of obnoxious mixup characters, I'd love to see them defended scientifically. :v:

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In favor or against?

I mean, speaking as a fan of obnoxious mixup characters, I'd love to see them defended scientifically. :v:

Hey, you asked for it buddy. So here's a massive amount of sperg:

In games like ST, an elite player has the ability to prevent guessing situations. It's tough, but it can be done.* It's pretty well accepted that Viper and Seth can force guessing situations easily, and an "s-tier" player cannot stop an "a-tier" player from doing it.

*source: http://shoryuken.com/2011/10/24/interview-with-top-super-turbo-e-honda-player-kusumondo/ SRK is down I think or I would quote THE GOD HONDA directly

An Ideal Mixup* is the most powerful strategy at the highest level of FGs, generally. No matter if you are Joe Scrub who bought the game yesterday, or Daigo Umehara who has been the most dominant player like a decade, when you are put in a mixup, you both have the same odds, generally 50/50. You guess left or right.

*An ideal mixup (not a scientific definition here, just trying to head off any derails) is one where you don't have any non-metagame clues to ascertain what the guy will do. If option A does 90% damage and option B does 10%, it may be a mixup but it's not what I'm referring to.

A big contention here is "can an elite FG player guess right most of the time (or even 55%+) over a large sample size?" I don't think this is possible. There are lots of people who believe Daigo can do that.

Of course, at EVO 2011, he did not guess correctly three times in a row, and got perfected by poongko. :japan: That last round basically encapsulates this entire controversy. Should you be able to lose from three coinflips? Are those really "coinflips," is that left/right or low/high guessing actually Skilled Street Fighter Play? Is one touch enough to warrant a certain character to kill you from 3 guesses?

You see what I mean, all the great experience and skill he has, is completely out the window after that first knockdown. At that point, all that matters is heads or tails. If you are playing someone better than you, you want to create the most guessing possible. You still won't win most of the time but you will get some wins, out of variance, which is better than none.

---------------------

HOWEVER, I don't think it is cut and dried, I'm not :qq: about the glory days. First off, people just love mixups, especially that lead to huge damage. It's entertaining to see a guy get fadc ultra'ed for trying to meaty attack. There's something naturally exciting about gambling. That Poongko perfect was the most exciting round at Evo, I won't try to deny it.

Also, in games where an elite player can prevent all guessing, it can be torture to be a slightly worse player. You can just literally lose EVERY SINGLE ROUND when you aren't that far behind the other player. Think of new players in team fortress 2 playing on a 12v12 normal server, who wander into a 8v8 no crits server. It's possible to just never taste victory until you get nearly as good as your competition. EVO would be pretty boring if there was no random element to FGs. It would just be a coronation ceremony.

I do think that Seth and Viper have gone a bit too far, but what can you do? I don't think this game should be patched again. I just think in the future, there shouldn't be any particular characters who's design is "can initiate mixups very easily."

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 27, 2012

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
it's not "a coinflip" so much as it's "rock paper scissors", which might not exactly be a "good game" but it is a completely interactive game that people have shown demonstrable repeatable skill at. Not really agreeing or disagreeing about it being a good thing to be in a fighting game but "coinflip" is misleading.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Nerokerubina posted:

it's not "a coinflip" so much as it's "rock paper scissors", which might not exactly be a "good game" but it is a completely interactive game that people have shown demonstrable repeatable skill at. Not really agreeing or disagreeing about it being a good thing to be in a fighting game but "coinflip" is misleading.

What's the highest recorded win % over a large sample size? I'm just curious.

Is it really that misleading? I'd edit it, because I don't want to mischaracterize anything. I'm not pushing some evil agenda. "ROCK PAPER SCISSORS GUESSES" doesn't sound as nice as "coinflips."

There are coinflips, I believe, in FGs. An ambiguous crossup is functionally a coinflip, is it not?

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 27, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Even if there's the illusion of a coin flip, almost every situation in a fighting game is not determined by an RNG so even if in practice it's "random" it feels way less random than something like a critical hit chance.

Edit: I thought I replied but I guess I didn't earlier. My general feeling on mixup characters is that they're fine if done right. Zangief is generally a "good" mixup character because there's an interesting tradeoff being made. Although they are the least preferable type of character because they end up being the most frustrating to fight against and are the easiest type of character to have strong success with unless blocked with a high technical barrier of entry. If they don't have that barrier, they end up becoming the low to mid-tier kings of the game. (See Rufus/Gief in SF4, Potemkin/Tager in Arcsys games, Eddy in Tekken etc).

anime was right fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 27, 2012

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
It's not about mixups being bad, it's that you should have to work for it and characters like Seth and Viper really don't. Same problem with vortexes on a character like Akuma; it's inordinate reward for what you have to do to get into the situation, and it takes time away from the more interesting aspects of matches.

edit: ST Vega is dumb for the same reasons.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 27, 2012

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I really, really want this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
My Eightarc stick came in today and man, those things are really nice looking up close. :)

I think mine has a shoddy connection somewhere though because it keeps cutting out randomly. I opened it up and tried tightening everything and it seems like that's worked for now, but I'm probably going to have to send it back at some point, which sucks balls.

• Locked thread