Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jesto posted:

Okay, I got Silva Saga II to work without any graphical glitches. The three party system is pretty awesome, though I'm not sure what the downfall to just spamming my mercenaries every round is - and it appears I can release them back to the mercenary guild for more than I paid for them just by training them up? Neat.
Well, glad you got it to work, but should you ever need other options, SNES9x, well, that's always been the only show in town for Macs, but still, it's always been very reliable for me. Otherwise, if I ever need to try another emu, I'll basically just check the entire listing on Zophar. It sounds like bsnes might not be what one would be looking for anyway, and it sounds more like a programming project than a good emulation one.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
bsnes has the advantage of being completely hardware-accurate though. Here, just look at the comparasion shots: http://byuu.org/bsnes/accuracy

If your hardware's good enough, bsnes is the way to go for replicating the original hardware experience.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

BSNES is definitely the way to go if your PC can handle it. Along with the emulation accuracy, it has the essentials that mainstays ZSNES or SNES9X offer like save states, video filters, audio resampling, turbo/frameskip, cheat support, etc.

If your PC is terrible, you can try SNESGT (http://gigo.retrogames.com) instead.
The latest SNESGT beta is available here: http://www.emucr.com/2011/01/snesgt-v0230-beta-7.html

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

bsnes has the advantage of being completely hardware-accurate though. Here, just look at the comparasion shots: http://byuu.org/bsnes/accuracy

If your hardware's good enough, bsnes is the way to go for replicating the original hardware experience.

This page reminded me, everyone play Der Langrisser right now. It's amazing.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Douche Bag posted:

Is the battle system in Vagrant Story as mystifying as everyone says? I love PS1 RPGSs but I'm not very patient or intelligent.

Kind of like FFT around here, it has complexity to it sure but most posters neglect to mention that you can ignore almost all of it. As a dumb kid I got through Vagrant Story by just having a few different weapons of different weapon types. Then I played through it with different weapons for each monster affinity and this was enough to get through all the bonus stuff too (there are some rather resilient bonus bosses). I never really paid much attention to elements except against incredibly obviously elementally attuned enemies.

Even if you ended up against a boss where you're doing like 1 damage you can completely overcome this by being good at chains.

Great game though. drat shame they never did anything like it again.

quote:

Looks like I may have to!

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 28, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

softcorps posted:

Odin Sphere is a bit of a stretch when it comes to being classified as an RPG, but it does have a rich story and there are some basic RPG elements to it. I found out today that there is a PS2 Classics section on PSN, within which Odin Sphere is included. I bought it instantly after reading reports online that the slowdown that plagued the native PS2 version was drastically reduced. My experiences so far support that -- it's not completely gone but it only appears during the busiest of scenes like opening a menu during a debris-filled boss battle. I don't remember the original version moving so fluidly. It almost feels like a new game.

Actually the problem with the slowdown was fixed on the European PS2 release of the game as well, so it wasn't actually a limitation of the PS2 so much as it was Vanillaware being incompetent programmers.

Agreed though, the game feels completely different when it's not running at half speed the entire time, really fun and enjoyable.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Wendell posted:

Der Langrisser is an excellent SNES SRPG. Diverging story/mission paths, multiple endings, multiple class changes.

The translation is here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1147/

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Langrisser 1 was localized for Genesis as Warsong, and is also worth playing.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

quote:

Is the battle system in Vagrant Story as mystifying as everyone says? I love PS1 RPGSs but I'm not very patient or intelligent.
Vagrant Story's weapon system is fairly simple but just poorly explained I think. The more you hit an enemy of a certain type, the better that weapon gets at killing that type of enemy. That's basically it. You just have to make sure you switch weapons a lot and make sure you have every type covered so you don't run into an enemy that you can't scratch

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Be careful with Der Langrisser, ZSNES doesn't emulate the SNES' SPU correctly and it will crash with DL after some time. I don't remember what emulators DL works with besides bSNES because of this. You can turn off the sound with ZSNES to stop the crashing. Also it's probably best to play with a speed up button, DL can have some very long turns where nothing important happens.

*edit*
Forgot to mention with Vagrant Story is how Scan works because it is not intuitive at all. Once you scan an enemy you can look at them under the Status window. It defaults to Ashely and you can push... the shoulder buttons? to change who you're looking at. It will display the enemy's elemental and weapon type affinities so you know what weapon type to hit with and to throw what elemental gems into your weapon to deal the most damage.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 28, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think I used an old build of snes9x when I played through DL a few years ago. I just use BSNES for everything now, there's really no reason to use the others unless you have a pretty bad machine. Der Langrisser is a really great game though, albeit a tad on the easy side once you get going.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

You only NEED three weapons, one of each damage type (Blunt/Piercing/Edged) all the other stuff like element and creature type affinities are just bonuses on top of that.

Also your buff/debuff spells are super useful and can turn any fight in your favour, even if you're using the wrong weapon that does ~1hp a hit normally.
This is the best advice for Vagrant Story. You can completely ignore the enemy/elemental affinities for the whole game, that stuff is there for sperging out on in New Game+. All you need are one weapon of each type (edged, blunt, piercing) since every enemy is weak to one of these. Maybe a good Silver weapon as an all purpose for fighting various undead. Any functionality gained by obsessively maintaining a cadre of affinity weapons can be equivalently gotten from doing simple things like using buff spells and swapping out gems based on the situation. Even with just 3 weapons, you'll be doing a lot of equipment swapping.

Its important to note that this advice is objectively correct. Edged/Blunt/Piercing is by far the mathematically most significant determiner of damage and due to the balanced affinity system it is basically impossible to create a 'perfect' set of weapons. For example, you might want to make an anti-skeleton blunt weapon or something, that makes perfect sense, right... but that will make it bad against another enemy type, which you will more than likely need to use blunt weapons against sometime in the future. As well, most enemy classes are composed of enemies that are weak to a variety of damage types. So your awesome piercing lizard spear might become useless when put up against a lizard boss that only takes damage from blunt (which you've made useless on lizards by using it exclusively on skeletons or whatever). Basically, the point is, don't worry about any of this crap or you will find yourself sperging out to an extreme for literally no reason.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like an interesting game and I'm starting to run out of PS1 RPGs sadly :(. I'll check it out

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Douche Bag posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like an interesting game and I'm starting to run out of PS1 RPGs sadly :(

Tried Arc the Lad 1/2 yet? You should try those at some point.

(3 is entirely skippable.)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I think Arc the Lad 1 is the most skippable strategy RPG of all. Talk about bland everything, and utterly lifeless unchallenging fights.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Wendell posted:

I think Arc the Lad 1 is the most skippable strategy RPG of all. Talk about bland everything, and utterly lifeless unchallenging fights.

But it's pretty short and sets up Arc the Lab II which is pretty good, so might as well play it if you're gonna play II.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Arc the Lad is a strange series to me. It really never hits all the right notes but ends up being pretty good regardless. Arc 1 is short and pretty bland as Wendell said previously. It's nice looking for an early PS1 game though. Arc 2 is a big improvement but is so long. The endgame for Arc 2 is some of the most tedious poo poo I've ever played through.

Arc 3 is a total departure and I think a much better game in some ways than the previous two but falls to tedium once you realize most of the game is based on the Hunters Guild missions or whatever. And finally that PS2 Arc the Lad was an interesting experiment thanks to the radial tactical movement (rather than grid based) but it really wasn't much of an Arc game, much like 3.

I think all four are worth playing but your enjoyment of any given game in the series totally depends on your expectations and your mood.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Tried Arc the Lad 1/2 yet? You should try those at some point.

(3 is entirely skippable.)

I haven't actually. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone play this?

I feel like I'm scrapping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I have fond memories of that game. It's... different. Not amazing and a little grindy though.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Douche Bag posted:

I haven't actually. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone play this?

I feel like I'm scrapping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

Despite its simple mechanics and fairly generic plot, the game itself is pretty enjoyable.

Plus it has some seriously kick-rear end music.

I recommend it, even if it isn't the greatest JRPG in the world.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Levantine posted:

And finally that PS2 Arc the Lad

There were two of these.

You played what I'm told was the better of the two (the first one/fourth game).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

There were two of these.

Ah yes, I think the final Arc game was some weird mishmash of single player and online with unlockable characters from previous games in the series that you could take online and do....something... with. I never played it and often forget it exists.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Syrg Sapphire posted:

There were two of these.

I played the 2nd one. Yes, it was really, really bad.

It was so bad it killed the franchise.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

White Knight Chronicles 2 has dropped to ~$29.99 (New) everywhere for the past couple of weeks:
- Amazon
- Best Buy
- Gamestop

New copies come with a Geonet code, which is required to play online. Used copies can buy a code off PSN for $9.99.

I picked it up 3 days ago to kill time before FF XIII-2 and have been playing non-stop way too much. It comes with WKC1 on the same disc with the revised combat system for the fortunate ones who didn't suffer through the original version. Putting the recycled dungeons aside, the changes to the combat system make it much better than the first game. Most weapon skills use MP now instead of AC, the action bar fills up much, much faster, and you can get to GR 15 or so just from doing quests in the offline story mode. (List of changes)

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I haven't followed WKC all that much in general, but how integral is the online portion of it, and how active is the community if it is so?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Gyoru posted:

White Knight Chronicles 2 has dropped to ~$29.99 (New) everywhere for the past couple of weeks:
- Amazon
- Best Buy
- Gamestop

New copies come with a Geonet code, which is required to play online. Used copies can buy a code off PSN for $9.99.

I picked it up 3 days ago to kill time before FF XIII-2 and have been playing non-stop way too much. It comes with WKC1 on the same disc with the revised combat system for the fortunate ones who didn't suffer through the original version. Putting the recycled dungeons aside, the changes to the combat system make it much better than the first game. Most weapon skills use MP now instead of AC, the action bar fills up much, much faster, and you can get to GR 15 or so just from doing quests in the offline story mode. (List of changes)

'Sup fellow WKC2 player. You can find me online as Spazmaster, or friend request SPZX on PSN.

iastudent posted:

I haven't followed WKC all that much in general, but how integral is the online portion of it, and how active is the community if it is so?

You can take your character online and get XP, items, whatever, then immediately drop back into SP and continue as you were and vice versa. Multiplayer is the real meat of the game you mostly delve into after single-player. The community is fairly active, with thousands of regular players and more showing up and returning due to new content that's been recently introduced.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 29, 2012

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

iastudent posted:

Multiplayer is the main draw. The single player of WKC1 can be completed in 20-40 hours depending on how much side stuff/exploration you do. WKC2's single player (it's a direct sequel to WKC1) can be done in the same amount of time. There was a healthy goon MP population for WKC1 when it came out in 2010. I had over 100 hours logged on my WKC1 save most of which was from the multiplayer.

The online portion is like Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star Online. Players meet online in someone's GeoRama (a player built town, yeah you build your own towns and recruit residents). In the WKC1, you can play online with up to 4 players in a party) doing quests. WKC2 ups that amount to 6 players in a party.

I'm trying to find Policenaut's archived WKC1 thread because I believe there was a good summary of everything there.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I never finished WKC1, so should I even bother doing it with the improvements from WKC2 or just go on to 2? I'm pretty sure I read there are certain things you can only get it from 1, but it looks like they're only things you'd want if you wanted to go for Platinum, which seems kind of pointless and time consuming.

Also, if any of you other WKC2 people want to add me, you can friend request Dryzen.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
WKC2 is pretty much just for online if you've played the first. I couldn't finish the single player because after the beginning of the game (and the only new area for at least half the game), you are forced through all the first game's content in reverse with no changes as to how you solve puzzles or traverse the areas. It's super tedious even with the new combat system.

Online is way better though. And if you can stomach the single player your Avatar can get an Incorruptus which is badass.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

And if you can stomach the single player your Avatar can get an Incorruptus which is badass.

Best part of that is the transformation sequence changing depending on what type of weapon you have equipped. But I love stock footage, so maybe that's just me.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I just wish there was some snazzy dialogue during the transformation other than "Verto!" Everyone else gets to talk about how awesome their knight is and I just twirl around for a sec and say the magic word. Although I guess that's kind of fitting for my character.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is there a modern(ish) rpg similar to Dragon force on the saturn? I googled around but not much came up.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

canada jezus posted:

Is there a modern(ish) rpg similar to Dragon force on the saturn? I googled around but not much came up.

Dragon Force 2? I've really never played a game like on any system it so that's probably the closest you'll get.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

Paperhouse posted:

Vagrant Story's weapon system is fairly simple but just poorly explained I think. The more you hit an enemy of a certain type, the better that weapon gets at killing that type of enemy. That's basically it. You just have to make sure you switch weapons a lot and make sure you have every type covered so you don't run into an enemy that you can't scratch

There's also the rhythm game aspect of the game with chaining your attacks together - it's been forever since I played the game, but I remember deliberately avoiding certain weapons because I didn't like their timing and couldn't just chain them forever like other weapon types. The parts also retain bonuses so really every weapon is unique and has its own characteristics depending on what you used it for.

The story to that game was always incomprehensible to me but I always loved the battle and weapons systems.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

canada jezus posted:

On PSP, Aedis Eclipse: Generations of Chaos is sort of similar.
On DS, there's Spectral Force Genesis.
Both are Neverland/Idea Factory games.

An English fan translation is in the works for Dragon Force 2. It's in public testing right now.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Miijhal posted:

I just wish there was some snazzy dialogue during the transformation other than "Verto!" Everyone else gets to talk about how awesome their knight is and I just twirl around for a sec and say the magic word. Although I guess that's kind of fitting for my character.

That's because we get the "mass production" model and not the fancy pants unique ones.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Oh god. Learn from my stupid mistake, RPG thread. I'm playing Etrian Odyssey 3 and I just beat the boss of B8, Ketos, by the skin of my teeth after half an hour. The only two people left alive at the end were my Arbalist and Zodiac. I had forgotten to buy a return thread. They did not make it to the teleporter on B5.

:negative:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Oh god. Learn from my stupid mistake, RPG thread. I'm playing Etrian Odyssey 3 and I just beat the boss of B8, Ketos, by the skin of my teeth after half an hour. The only two people left alive at the end were my Arbalist and Zodiac. I had forgotten to buy a return thread. They did not make it to the teleporter on B5.

:negative:

Always buy two threads. Always.

Edit: On that note, I'm a little weary of games where a Game Over means lost time. I think more titles should have a penalty to the characters, but not a penalty to the players. Lost money, halved experience, whatever, just not "Hey remember that hour and a half you spent getting this far? You just wasted all of your time."

This is one thing I really liked about Dragon Quest.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, Dragon Quest has been doing that since 1986. Get with it, other RPG makers.