Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

origami posted:

I'm surprised someone is trying kneebars on you when it's your first week.

I got heel hooked on my first night. There was no pressure or anything, the guy I was rolling with just worked into the position and said "This is a heel hook. I can break your leg from here".

Leg game is loving weird. I can see why most schools only let advanced guys mess with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Antinumeric posted:

Yeah I ended up not going and instead got into an arguement with a friend of a friend who insisted BJJ wasn't a real martial art "because it's from Brazil"...

Man, let's talk about crazy traditional martial artists. This friend of mine, is a salsa teacher and a pretty good troll. He told me one of his dance students was going to teach him ninjitsu, just to gently caress with me. He never actually learned it, he just said he was going to because he knew how much it'd enrage me (pretty pro, really).

I met the ninjitsu guy at a party a few weeks later. He was a ninjitsu black belt who wouldn't shut up about how his martial art was better than mine. I didn't even bring it up, the mutual friend told him that I was into BJJ (again, to gently caress with me). I wasn't arguing with him, he was just telling me and I was saying "oh, really?" and "oh, I see" all night. You see, BJJ is all about being stronger than your oppononent, but ninjitsu? Ninjitsu is about technique. Ninjitsu is banned from the UFC because too many people were killed by it in the octagon. They added a bunch of rules to the UFC to try and nullify all their most deadly techniques, like pressure points and eye gouges.

The guy was pretty funny. He was about 30, a bit fat, a bit spergy. Socially awkward. After awhile I tried changing the subject by saying "I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. At least we all hate aikido, right?"

Turns out he was also an aikido blackbelt. facepalm.

I now never bring up the fact that I learn martial arts, ever, no matter what. Even if it's awkward because it consumes my whole life.

"Got any hobbies?"
"Nope."
"What do you do with your spare time?"
"Not much, I guess."

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Man, let's talk about crazy traditional martial artists. This friend of mine, is a salsa teacher and a pretty good troll. He told me one of his dance students was going to teach him ninjitsu, just to gently caress with me. He never actually learned it, he just said he was going to because he knew how much it'd enrage me (pretty pro, really).

I met the ninjitsu guy at a party a few weeks later. He was a ninjitsu black belt who wouldn't shut up about how his martial art was better than mine. I didn't even bring it up, the mutual friend told him that I was into BJJ (again, to gently caress with me). I wasn't arguing with him, he was just telling me and I was saying "oh, really?" and "oh, I see" all night. You see, BJJ is all about being stronger than your oppononent, but ninjitsu? Ninjitsu is about technique. Ninjitsu is banned from the UFC because too many people were killed by it in the octagon. They added a bunch of rules to the UFC to try and nullify all their most deadly techniques, like pressure points and eye gouges.

The guy was pretty funny. He was about 30, a bit fat, a bit spergy. Socially awkward. After awhile I tried changing the subject by saying "I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. At least we all hate aikido, right?"

Turns out he was also an aikido blackbelt. facepalm.

I now never bring up the fact that I learn martial arts, ever, no matter what. Even if it's awkward because it consumes my whole life.

"Got any hobbies?"
"Nope."
"Not much, I guess."

Look at what we got here, one of them self hatin' Pajama huggers.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Its funny how TMA students never go and check out muay thai/boxing/judo/bjj/wrestling just to see what its all about and see if what they're learning back at Master Gheng Fong's Kung Fu Palace and Qi Emporium is practical. They'll be completely logical in all other aspects of life, but when it comes to ineffective and irrationally spiritual wrist-grabbing and tornado kicks with their hands in their pockets, all of a sudden that's the ultimate in self defence.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
I suspect they're not wrong, practicing with aikidoka who crosstrain has given me a great respect for its long term value and I'll bet ninjitsu's got a couple things up its sleeve too.

The real issue with the fanatics is that they believe themselves capable of picking up said 'ultimate martial art' without really devoting themselves to it (and in most case with a couple hours of what equates to light cardio every other weekend).

02-6611-0142-1 said it, fighting is my life (and agreed- it never goes well to tell people that haha), but most of those crazies just see it as a physical means of exerting their 'intellectual superiority' over people. It's no wonder they take other martial arts so personally.

E: Maybe I'm just projecting haha. Am I in the clear about being a judo fanatic since I crosstrain bjj & mma?

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 3, 2012

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Nierbo posted:

Its funny how TMA students never go and check out muay thai/boxing/judo/bjj/wrestling just to see what its all about and see if what they're learning back at Master Gheng Fong's Kung Fu Palace and Qi Emporium is practical. They'll be completely logical in all other aspects of life, but when it comes to ineffective and irrationally spiritual wrist-grabbing and tornado kicks with their hands in their pockets, all of a sudden that's the ultimate in self defence.

Kind of off-track but I discovered krav is actually pretty useful in MMA. Not the groin kicks and eye gouges but a lot of the straight punch defenses and counters I can't do with gloves on were scoring me some good shots.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've never had anyone be even remotely interested in the fact that I do kickboxing :(

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ridleys Revenge posted:

E: Maybe I'm just projecting haha. Am I in the clear about being a judo fanatic since I crosstrain bjj & mma?

What do you mean by the term 'fanatic'? I'm pretty devoted to Judo myself. I've made it a goal to get onto the USA Judo Senior roster. Does 'fanatic' mean 'dedicated'?

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Haha yes in one sense. It also means I sometimes think judo's 'the way' as opposed to being 'a way.' More importantly, best of luck on your goal! It sounds like a good one.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Haha yes in one sense. It also means I sometimes think judo's 'the way' as opposed to being 'a way.' More importantly, best of luck on your goal! It sounds like a good one.

I got two shots this semester. March 10th at Collegiate Nationals in San Jose (E Level points), and sometime in April whenever Liberty Bell hosts their annual tournament (D Level points).

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ridleys Revenge posted:

The real issue with the fanatics is that they believe themselves capable of picking up said 'ultimate martial art' without really devoting themselves to it (and in most case with a couple hours of what equates to light cardio every other weekend).
That's a really good point actually and some places cater to that sort of stupid mentality by having gradings all the time and giving away belts like its candy.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
So...I took lessons with this guy for a while. Can anyone give me a BS to legitimate BA break down on that article?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Ridleys Revenge posted:

ninjitsu's got a couple things up its sleeve too.

I doubt it, but if nothing else, Ninjitsu made me really good at diving rolling breakfalls, because that's what you spend half your time doing in a ninjitsu class. It's been almost a decade since I did anything ninjitsu related, but I'm still a five-chair ninja.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Kekekela posted:

While we're semi on the subject, anyone have any tips for keeping my boxing gloves from getting nasty-over-time due to sweat, etc?

You already got a lot of good tips, but I'll offer another one: just stuff some fresh newspaper inside the gloves after your class. Let the paper soak in most of the moisture and remove after a couple of hours. Makes your gloves def. dry faster hence slowing down the inevitable smell.

Oh and I have like four sets of gloves so I never have to wear the same pair two days on row.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

"Got any hobbies?"
"Nope."
"Not much, I guess."

Haha, I have a couple of local cafes and beer dives where some friends or acquaintances work at, and who also train (or have trained) so on a slow day it's really too easy to start talking about something martial arts or fightin' related. Normally it's fine but later in the evening you're better off scanning the environment like they teach in the self defense courses for any males between 20-40 of age who have had more than two drinks. It can turn annoying as hell really fast. If it's someone you are half familiar with, they often start going on about how they are gonna start training too - soon, like (yet never do) or go on about how back in the 80s they blah blah blah. It's ok if people are just interested in a friendly way, but for some loving reason it often turns into dick waving.

I don't go to classes so I can tell other people about (yeah I sometimes end up telling anyway, because I do it so loving much but it's not about dick waving, it's my loving hobby) it or because I want to have a bigger dick, I go there because I work at the office and would turn into a stressed out fatass with health problems both mental and physical if I don't. Oh and it's fun too, like all exercise.

Also we used to go for a glass of juice or beer with a friend when we took the same BJJ classes, to discuss what we learned and poo poo. gently caress. I can't count the times some random bleary eyed dick approached us demanding to know what we train if we got too excited and forgot to basically talk in whispers. DON'T EVER TELL IT'S A COMBAT SPORT, ARGH. I didn't want to give up our after class chats because men can be morons, so any time someone asked we told him we're doing aerobics. Like, body pump or something.

It works too. They'd give you this look, then figure out in modern society it's ok for men to go to girly fitness classes and wander off usually without another word.

Hell I still use the "I go to aerobic class" line if someone I don't like/know asks me why I have a gym bag with me.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 3, 2012

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Considering the last 20 pages or so, I figure a lot of people in this thread are gonna be a tad disappointed in me for deciding to forgo BJJ. :(

It seems nice and all, and the dojo is super close to my house (5 minutes away), and the instructors seemed very friendly, AND fairly cheap, I feel I'd rather save this particular martial arts for another time, and supplement it with something else.

So I wanted to ask. A co-worker of mine who works at an MMA dojo offered me some private lessons in either Muay Thai or kick boxing. Which one would you guys suggest?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
If they're both in the same club, why not try both!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mr Interweb posted:

Considering the last 20 pages or so, I figure a lot of people in this thread are gonna be a tad disappointed in me for deciding to forgo BJJ. :(

I'm not! :haw: It's nothing away from me, tee hee.

quote:

So I wanted to ask. A co-worker of mine who works at an MMA dojo offered me some private lessons in either Muay Thai or kick boxing. Which one would you guys suggest?

I wouldn't suggest or not suggest either, but I can tell you what's probably different. Muay Thai has less emphasis on boxing, kickboxers in general being better punchers. From the range you'd throw hooks and uppercuts, MT fighters prefer to clinch instead and throw knees. If it's international rules kickboxing, you probably won't ever train knee or elbow strikes, Muay Thai has both. Thai fighters have a very upright stance, and they inch slowly at their target intending to kick it's/his/her head off, kickboxing tends to be more mobile with a lower stance. Also, stances are common argument starters because if you post "boxing stance is so and so" someone will say it's not.

MMA fighters often train MT. MMA is pretty "anything goes" as for allowed strikes and techniques, so its useful to learn clinch work, knees and elbows all of which come with Muay Thai.

Both are a great workout.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Never had anyone give me crap for my hobby, but I do get a lot of, "Oh, so you do UFC"?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

If they're both in the same club, why not try both!

The jerk's gonna charge me for each class, so I don't wanna splurge too much at this point.

quote:

I wouldn't suggest or not suggest either, but I can tell you what's probably different. Muay Thai has less emphasis on boxing, kickboxers in general being better punchers. From the range you'd throw hooks and uppercuts, MT fighters prefer to clinch instead and throw knees. If it's international rules kickboxing, you probably won't ever train knee or elbow strikes, Muay Thai has both. Thai fighters have a very upright stance, and they inch slowly at their target intending to kick it's/his/her head off, kickboxing tends to be more mobile with a lower stance. Also, stances are common argument starters because if you post "boxing stance is so and so" someone will say it's not.

MMA fighters often train MT. MMA is pretty "anything goes" as for allowed strikes and techniques, so its useful to learn clinch work, knees and elbows all of which come with Muay Thai.

Both are a great workout.

Well, I never planned on entering any tournaments or aspiring to UFC, the main purpose of joining was for self defense purposes basically. So I'm looking for something that would be the most practical in a street fight.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

So I'm looking for something that would be the most practical in a street fight.

a handful of dirt

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Mr Interweb posted:

So I'm looking for something that would be the most practical in a street fight.

Running.

edit: then grabbing the nearest blunt object and using that.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, I never planned on entering any tournaments or aspiring to UFC, the main purpose of joining was for self defense purposes basically. So I'm looking for something that would be the most practical in a street fight.

Poop your pants immediately. No one's gonna want to touch you because you smell like poop.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
A friend of mine has a somewhat unique tactic in regards to self defense. He prefers to get incredibly drunk and fall flat on his face on concrete. This will open a huge bleeding gash between your lower lip and chin, and if you pull up your lip, you can probably manage to poke your tongue through the new hole in your face, which will have something like a 100% success rate in terms of making people leave you the hell alone because jesus christ who does that

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Think I'll stick with pooping myself.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I imagine if i just start crying, most people will leave me alone. No one wants to see or hear a grown man cry.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
Serious answer though: boxing. I think if you're concerned with practical self defense, getting comfortable with your hands is the best first step for any beginner.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Try both and see which you like better. You could just ask him to do like 30 minutes of kickboxing 30 minutes of Muay Thai so you can see which you prefer.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 3, 2012

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So the IJF finally has a good youtube page up filled with highlights from elite international tournaments. Worth checking out if you have any interest or curiosity as to what high level Judo looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/user/judo?feature=watch

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This is something I've been wondering. I've seen guy who fight do just loving amazing poo poo: run 5 miles then come in and do weights and THEN train for two hours and they do this regularly. They're not fat but they've still got a decent amount of fat on them and this seems pretty common in fighters. Do people like that just eat like crap in their off-time?

What do you guys who train 10-15 hours a week eat?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I used to do that before my cervical injuries. Lift weights an hour and a half, run an hour then do 1.5-3 hours of BJJ classes 5-6 days a week. The reason I still carried a decent amount of body fat was just eating like a animal. When I would try to diet on that kind of schedule I would feel really fatigued. Food and sleep were the critical components of recovery so I was always eating a huge number of calories.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

So the IJF finally has a good youtube page up filled with highlights from elite international tournaments. Worth checking out if you have any interest or curiosity as to what high level Judo looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/user/judo?feature=watch

Thanks so much for that link. These videos are great and I love anything narrated by Neil Adams.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

Try both and see which you like better. You could just ask him to do like 30 minutes of kickboxing 30 minutes of Muay Thai so you can see which you prefer.

The whole hour will be, "ok, here's a stance, and here's the jab. Do that. See you in 50 minutes."

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

What do you guys who train 10-15 hours a week eat?

Depends. I'm definitely just an amateur, but in the beginning and middle of a camp, when I'm pushing myself the hardest and really ripping my body apart, I'll eat a weight lifters diet. Lot's of protein and carbs, and large portions. Stuff like whole wheat pasta and rice, with lots of chicken. I also don't mind eating a little bit of junk food now, in healthy moderation. Within the last two weeks, I start cutting back the carbs and portions, and usually getting a lot of my nutrition from supplements and protein shakes. By the last week, when training is more about maintaining and less tearing down and rebuilding, I practically crash diet. Then, depending on if it's day-of or day-before weigh-ins, I really start starving myself and cutting back significantly on the fluids two days out.

But yeah, I'm usually a little pudgy through camp and when I'm not training for a fight. By the end though I look like a third world refugee.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm heading to NAGA next week in gi and no-gi novice divisions, can anyone give me any advice since is my first time?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

kimbo305 posted:

The whole hour will be, "ok, here's a stance, and here's the jab. Do that. See you in 50 minutes."

If its an intro, I would expect some general look here is a clinch here is a kick here is a punch. You are doing them all wrong but you will learn to do them right if you train here.

I mean, its a professional gym right? They must have some kind of intro lesson planned out that his buddy can use.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm heading to NAGA next week in gi and no-gi novice divisions, can anyone give me any advice since is my first time?

I just did my first NAGA as a novice a week ago. Make sure to stay calm, breathe and try not to force anything crazy that you haven't tried before.

Drill takedowns if you can since the fights start standing.

Also, there were definitely one or two dudes who were not 'novices' when I competed in the novice division. Keep that in mind.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sadly I figured there would be sand bagging. The take down thing I most certainly need to do. But more often than not I get the better of people my weight and skill in takedown.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

you can pretty much count on 1st and 2nd place going to guys who are:

1) out and out sandbaggers

2) experienced wrestlers competing as novices in sub grappling

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheKingslayer posted:

Sadly I figured there would be sand bagging. The take down thing I most certainly need to do. But more often than not I get the better of people my weight and skill in takedown.

Until you run into a wrestler or Judoka who is just starting BJJ and throws you hard directly onto your back, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Until you run into a wrestler or Judoka who is just starting BJJ and throws you hard directly onto your back, that is.

This, this is going to suck. I wish there were a good judo club here. I would join up in no time. Sanshou and Muay Thai will aid me none in this man hugging gauntlet.

• Locked thread