Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
Can anybody send me a link to an awesome Booker T match? I'm sitting with my friend who looks like Booker 20 years ago (dreads and everything) and he wants to see a match with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Is this good or do you want like WCW-era?

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Either/Or! Gonna check your link out though!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Cardboard Box posted:

Do all wrestlers in WWE pick their own finishers, or are they picked for them in some cases? Because I have trouble believing anyone would use a full-nelson slam as their big finish in this day and age

On this note, I wonder why Bryan hasn't done the Cattle Mutilation more than once. Safety issue? Not enough guys flexible enough to take it? Name rights? And Seth isn't doesn't do God's Last Gasp anymore, right?

Is a wrestling move itself, not just the name trademarkable in any way? I'm guessing not due to crap like the Faith Breaker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Here is a "classic"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kgcCUsTrc8

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

Is a wrestling move itself, not just the name trademarkable in any way? I'm guessing not due to crap like the Faith Breaker.

Nah, it's not really possible to copyright an actual wrestling maneuver.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

jscolon2.0 posted:

On this note, I wonder why Bryan hasn't done the Cattle Mutilation more than once. Safety issue? Not enough guys flexible enough to take it? Name rights? And Seth isn't doesn't do God's Last Gasp anymore, right?

It's God's Last Gift and WWE doesn't allow head drops.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Danielson chose to no longer do the Cattle Mutilation, I believe he said something about that move would be difficult to do on the bigger guys. Plus even when he was in ROH, the move only got him some wins once he won the ROH title, as he was also winning with rollups, the crossface chicken wing, and Arms Across America (the mounted elbows).

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Had Bryan always used the LaBell Lock, or was that a new thing once he joined WWE?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TL posted:

Had Bryan always used the LaBell Lock, or was that a new thing once he joined WWE?
He didn't start using it as a finisher until the WWE, I maybe remember him using it once or twice out of every indy match I've seen from him.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
He used it in his 2010 run when he was fired. So yeah, a new thing.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.
He used it on the last PWG show he had before going to WWE (Guerre Sans Frontieres) against Hero, thought it was a weird variation.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Do finshers like the Rock Bottom and Stunner have "real" move names? Like I know the Perfectplex is a fisherman's suplex, the Million Dollar Dream was simply a sleeper (or a modified one at least), but do the more unique ones have actual names?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

jscolon2.0 posted:

On this note, I wonder why Bryan hasn't done the Cattle Mutilation more than once.

I'm guessing it is because generally WWE loves the submissions where you can see someone desperately grasping for the ropes. Cattle Mutilation ties the guy up so there's not much movement (I think, it's been a while since I've seen CM)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Orgophlax posted:

Do finshers like the Rock Bottom and Stunner have "real" move names? Like I know the Perfectplex is a fisherman's suplex, the Million Dollar Dream was simply a sleeper (or a modified one at least), but do the more unique ones have actual names?

What does a 'real' move name mean? At some point every name is made up, I mean the first guy that does a move ever could theoretically call it anything. The Rock Bottom and the Stunner werent new moves when Rock/Austin were using them so they already had names, whether or not those are the 'real' names is debatable I guess. A Rock Bottom is just an uranage or something like that, I think thats what they call it in Japan.

Wikipedia calls the stunner a 3/4 facelock jawbreaker...

I doubt any human has ever called it that though because thats dumb.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Orgophlax posted:

Do finshers like the Rock Bottom and Stunner have "real" move names?
According to Wikipedia, the Stunner is the Seated three-quarter facelock jawbreaker and the Rock Bottom is the Lifting fall forward side slam.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I wish there was a way to make the Wikipedia wrestling editors the commentary team on Raw, I feel that it would really add to the experience.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Orgophlax posted:

Their real names are the Chart Buster and the Book-End.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

FishBulb posted:

What does a 'real' move name mean? At some point every name is made up, I mean the first guy that does a move ever could theoretically call it anything.
I guess that's more what I mean. What did the inventor of the move(s) call it?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Orgophlax posted:

I guess that's more what I mean. What did the inventor of the move(s) call it?

The rock bottom is called an uranage in judo I think. The Stone Cold Stunner is an Ace Crusher after Johnny Ace aka Mr. John Laurinitus, Executive Vice President of Talent Relations and Interim Raw General Manager.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Moose Bigelow posted:

The rock bottom is called an uranage in judo I think. The Stone Cold Stunner is an Ace Crusher after Johnny Ace aka Mr. John Laurinitus, Executive Vice President of Talent Relations and Interim Raw General Manager.

The uranage in Judo looks more like an exploder than the Rock Bottom, but for whatever reason, it is what it is in pro graps.

The Ace Crusher is really a cutter. I wonder who first sat up on a Crusher?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah the Ace Crusher was more like the RKO/Diamond Cutter/A million other moves. I'm not sure where the sit up jawbreaker dealie came from. I vaguely remember seeing it before Austin but I can't place it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

triplexpac posted:

I wish there was a way to make the Wikipedia wrestling editors the commentary team on Raw, I feel that it would really add to the experience.

The experience used to be easily recreated by going to any independent show in London. One of the top editors goes to a lot of the IPW:UK shows, but is normally much quieter now as most of the workers there have at least a passing dislike of the guy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

FishBulb posted:

Yeah the Ace Crusher was more like the RKO/Diamond Cutter/A million other moves. I'm not sure where the sit up jawbreaker dealie came from. I vaguely remember seeing it before Austin but I can't place it.
It was just a "Jawbreaker" modification before it was the Stone Cold Stunner. I'm sure I've seen some 80's wrestlers use the stunner, not as a finisher, just as a normal move.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Has anyone ever published a list of the biggest draws in Mexico?

I'm sure El Santo is #1 and could probably guess some of names, but I don't know how much bigger Mil Mascaras was than Dos Caras, if Blue Demon was bigger than Perro Aguayo, or if Mistico is historically big or just popular for his era.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Has anyone ever published a list of the biggest draws in Mexico?

I'm sure El Santo is #1 and could probably guess some of names, but I don't know how much bigger Mil Mascaras was than Dos Caras, if Blue Demon was bigger than Perro Aguayo, or if Mistico is historically big or just popular for his era.

This would be very interesting to get an answer to, as I know very, very little about lucha history.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
What was the context for JBL's promo at the Texas/Mexico border? Was he in a feud with Rey Mysterio? Was it just a chance for him to garner some easy heat (although, somehow I feel like he would have gotten more cheers)?

This came up when I was watching a YouTube video of WWE's most racist moments. The Triple H/Booker T promo felt a lot worse than I remembered it, maybe because I know the outcome of their Wrestlemania match now.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Twin Cinema posted:

What was the context for JBL's promo at the Texas/Mexico border? Was he in a feud with Rey Mysterio? Was it just a chance for him to garner some easy heat (although, somehow I feel like he would have gotten more cheers)?

This came up when I was watching a YouTube video of WWE's most racist moments. The Triple H/Booker T promo felt a lot worse than I remembered it, maybe because I know the outcome of their Wrestlemania match now.

He was going after Eddie's WWE championship iirc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The wordy name for the stunner is a 3/4 facelock jawbreaker, a cutter is a 3/4 facelock bulldog. And the rock bottom is a urange, although the original version is more headroppy/on an angle.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I unfortunately missed a good part of WWE's Attitude era; Did they ever use florescent tubes in hardcore matches that indy's are so fond of?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Orgophlax posted:

I unfortunately missed a good part of WWE's Attitude era; Did they ever use florescent tubes in hardcore matches that indy's are so fond of?

I am rewatching the Attitude Era and I don't think I've seen any.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

Never, and barbed wire was only used in Mick Foley matches that I recall.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I am far from an expert but I don't even remember light tubes in ECW.

e: ^^^^ There was definitely barbed wire in the HHH/Jericho HIAC.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 3, 2012

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I would say the Attitude era was more smutty than actually out and out hardcore. Outside of a few exceptions, most of the hardcore matches were cartoony and over the top.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Flameingblack posted:

Never, and barbed wire was only used in Mick Foley matches that I recall.

Actually, JBL and Big Show had an awful barbed wire cage match. But that was in like 2005 so it's not exactly Attitude era.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I think I may have seen a light tube once in one of the many Dudleys vs. Balls Mahoney/Axl Rotten tag deathmatches, but they weren't as commonplace then as they are now.

I really hate light tubes, if just for the health risk. There's mercury in there, you morons!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What is the general consensus of Backlash 2000? I loved that main event and wonder if I'm the only one who has that opinion. It kind of sucks HHH got the belt back at Judgment Day, but whatever. It may just be nostalgia, as I had just gotten into WWF/E in December of 99 and really liked the Rock, so seeing the Rock with the title for the first time was really cool for a 12 year old me.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

crankdatbatman posted:

What is the general consensus of Backlash 2000? I loved that main event and wonder if I'm the only one who has that opinion. It kind of sucks HHH got the belt back at Judgment Day, but whatever. It may just be nostalgia, as I had just gotten into WWF/E in December of 99 and really liked the Rock, so seeing the Rock with the title for the first time was really cool for a 12 year old me.

I think that's the Backlash that everyone here loves. Or is that '99?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

He was going after Eddie's WWE championship iirc.

Wikipedia confirms that you're right.

Wikipedia posted:

His first promo was on the border between Texas and Mexico, where he hunted for incoming illegal immigrants in order to win a "Great American Award", which granted the winner number one contendership to the WWE Championship. He won, thanks to the then-SmackDown! heel general manager Kurt Angle, and immediately challenged Eddie Guerrero for the title. The storyline leading up to the match was that JBL caused Guerrero's mother to have a heart attack at a house show when he threatened her and grabbed her by the shoulder.

I guess I can't really comment, since I wasn't watching the WWE at the time, let alone Smackdown, but I am assuming that this would get a mixed reaction from the crowd. And, wasn't this around the same time as that Hassan/Undertaker stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

It was considered one of the WWF's best shows ever when it aired. Not sure how it would hold up now. I watched the Scotty/Malenko finish recently and it is still sickening.