Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supermotos make wives weird. I was all ready to sell my Bandit and get a DRZ and my wife was all "BUT YOU LOVE YOUR BANDIT".

So here I am saving up for a DRZ and keeping the Bandit. A decision I never ever thought my wife would have driven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Supermotos make wives weird. I was all ready to sell my Bandit and get a DRZ and my wife was all "BUT YOU LOVE YOUR BANDIT".

So here I am saving up for a DRZ and keeping the Bandit. A decision I never ever thought my wife would have driven

Your wife probably hates you.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'm starting to get the jitters, it's been almost 2 weeks now since I rode last. I really hate car pooling even though it's efficient. I've gotten my state refund but I'm still waiting on my federal. I did some extra work last week and this weekend to try and extend my bike budget a bit. I have a very scary question to ask now.

FU. I haven't ridden in 2 months. Stupid winter.

Today is actually warm enough to ride. But guess what? I messed up my shifting toe. SO gently caress.

To bad it wasn't my right foot. Cause who needs to use the rear brake. Right guys? ...guys?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ziploc posted:

Today is actually warm enough to ride. But guess what? I messed up my shifting toe. SO gently caress.

To bad it wasn't my right foot. Cause who needs to use the rear brake. Right guys? ...guys?

Nah, the right is pretty useful. If your front brake fails you can jam it in behind your fork and avoid a potential catastrophe. You can also use it to protect the tank when you have to "lay her down".

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ziploc posted:

I rode all winter even in sub 20 degree weather (all of like the 1 day we had). I really can't stand to be in cars anymore. I'm not quite farting eagles and burping FREEDOM! but I'm close....

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Olde Weird Tip posted:

She's probably contemplated riding on the back of the DRZ with you vs the Bandit and made the only sane choice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sir Cornelius posted:

Your wife probably hates you.

Your wife, on the other hand, loves me

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Your wife, onis the other hand, loves me

goonfix

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Spiffness posted:

goonfix

I approve this message.

Also going to look at a DRZ 400S tonight. Not buying it just need to work on haggling again, it's been awhile. Just out of curiosity what's the cost to upgrade a 400S to SM suspension? I don't really want to do it, I was mainly just wondering. Also isn't it possible to fit WR250 forks to a DRZ or am I on crack?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It's probably cheaper just to buy an SM unless you get a pretty good deal on forks / clamps that fit.

I'm of the opinion that it's a lot cheaper to buy an SM and then buy a poo poo set of dirt wheels than it is to buy an E or S and then buy expensive sumo conversion parts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

It's probably cheaper just to buy an SM unless you get a pretty good deal on forks / clamps that fit.

I'm of the opinion that it's a lot cheaper to buy an SM and then buy a poo poo set of dirt wheels than it is to buy an E or S and then buy expensive sumo conversion parts.

This man is correct

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

JP Money posted:

Ok, I pretty much knew this. I just had someone offer up an S model for around $2k and I wanted to be sure before I turned it down.

Thanks for helping me not make stupid decisions!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wheels and hubs are $1k easy, and suspension and swingarm will be $500-ish at the least. Add that to the $2k bike cost and you're at the cost of an SM. And that's if you get a smokin deal on the parts.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Ugh.. so pissed off right now. Just ordered a new chain for the SV to replace the new chain (and sprokets) that I replaced just 3 months ago.

Why??

Because some colossal jackass cut the chain with (probably) a pair of bolt cutters.

Yup you read that right. I came out of a movie this evening and thought something looked odd, bent down and my chain is laying half on the ground. Still in a moment of "WTF?" and I look at a couple of other bikes (probably 20 in the motorcycle parking section) and half of the bikes with chains/belts are all cut.

Police have the person on camera but it's a lovely parking lot vid so nothing will probably happen and the movie theater is paying half only because their "security" was no where to be found and took 10min when the manager tried to find them.

Seriously who the gently caress decides to do this? I've never even heard of someone going around and cutting the motorcycle chains.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Tindjin posted:

Ugh.. so pissed off right now. Just ordered a new chain for the SV to replace the new chain (and sprokets) that I replaced just 3 months ago.

Why??

Because some colossal jackass cut the chain with (probably) a pair of bolt cutters.

Yup you read that right. I came out of a movie this evening and thought something looked odd, bent down and my chain is laying half on the ground. Still in a moment of "WTF?" and I look at a couple of other bikes (probably 20 in the motorcycle parking section) and half of the bikes with chains/belts are all cut.

Police have the person on camera but it's a lovely parking lot vid so nothing will probably happen and the movie theater is paying half only because their "security" was no where to be found and took 10min when the manager tried to find them.

Seriously who the gently caress decides to do this? I've never even heard of someone going around and cutting the motorcycle chains.

Probably just a pissed off BMW owner with a failed final drive.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Tindjin posted:

Seriously who the gently caress decides to do this?

Somebody who should be watching their back, jeez.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

There are so many better ways you could really gently caress somebody on a motorcycle too if your intent is to be a dick. I'd probably loosen the brake bleed valves and snip the R/R wires if I wanted to ruin somebody's day. One immediate problem and one problem that would show up in about 10 miles.

Kids nowadays, no creativity I tell ya.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

MrZig posted:

Probably just a pissed off BMW owner with a failed final drive.

Lol no doubt.

Luckily I was at the movies with my financee and she ran me back to the house so I could get my truck and trailer. We loaded up about 5 bikes on it and I took those people home that hadn't already called tow companies or friends. At least my karma is full up for a few months.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

There are so many better ways you could really gently caress somebody on a motorcycle too if your intent is to be a dick. I'd probably loosen the brake bleed valves and snip the R/R wires if I wanted to ruin somebody's day. One immediate problem and one problem that would show up in about 10 miles.

Kids nowadays, no creativity I tell ya.

Already plan on going over the whole bike just to make sure nothing else was done as I thought about that also.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Tindjin posted:

Only half, meanwhile it was THEIR responsibility to ensure that there was security/etc ... I'd say go at the security company.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tindjin posted:

Lol no doubt.

Luckily I was at the movies with my financee and she ran me back to the house so I could get my truck and trailer. We loaded up about 5 bikes on it and I took those people home that hadn't already called tow companies or friends. At least my karma is full up for a few months.
What is she financing?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Tindjin posted:

Why??

I will bite him in the rear end.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Endless Mike posted:

What is she financing?

Not much after she paid off her car loan. (insert comedy drum roll)

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Odette posted:

Only half, meanwhile it was THEIR responsibility to ensure that there was security/etc ... I'd say go at the security company.

Pretty sure every parking lot has signs that say "park at your own risk, we assume no responsibility for lost or stolen goods" not sure if there is any thing on their about vandalism or damage, but I'm pretty sure the jist is they have no obligation to watch your vehicles. Honestly them paying for 1/2 the damage is just a customer service gratitude to try and get you to keep coming back.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If I walk around with a sign saying I have a monster cock it doesn't make it true.

Liability laws are way more complex than a sign in a lot and if you pushed them I bet you could get it all paid for.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KARMA! posted:

I will bite him in the rear end.

I'm not sure if this is better as a name/post combo or an avatar/post combo

I bought a bicycle today as a way to keep in better shape (I'm getting fat) and it was a completely alien experience riding home. There's like no rake/trail to speak of and when I leaned into a turn I banged the pedals into the pavement. Feathering the brakes like I do on my radial Brembos did nothing at all. I wonder if it's going to be really disorienting going back and forth.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I built a bike up after not riding one for a long time and I seriously thought the fork, headset, or frame was hosed up the way it dived into corners. :lol: A little disconcerting but I guess that's what happens.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not sure if this is better as a name/post combo or an avatar/post combo

I bought a bicycle today as a way to keep in better shape (I'm getting fat) and it was a completely alien experience riding home. There's like no rake/trail to speak of and when I leaned into a turn I banged the pedals into the pavement. Feathering the brakes like I do on my radial Brembos did nothing at all. I wonder if it's going to be really disorienting going back and forth.

I got used to it pretty quick. Commuting to/from work on a bike and using the motorcycle as the grocery getter/go to the city ride makes me car sad but god drat if you don't lose weight by not buying anything you don't need from the grocery store (no trunk on a bike).

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yay! Signed up for the MSF in Ohio in June, of all months, with my little brother (MonkeyNutZ).

Cannot wait to sweat my balls off on a bike that probably needs lots of maintenance. Going to fall down so much :3:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hypnolobster posted:

Cannot wait to sweat my balls off on a bike that probably needs lots of maintenance. Going to fall down so much :3:

Falling off of motorcycles - even at low parking lot speeds - will beat the hell out of you. Try to stay on the bike.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Cool, I signed up for the MSF in March. Any East TN goons who ride bikes?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

kylej posted:

Falling off of motorcycles - even at low parking lot speeds - will beat the hell out of you. Try to stay on the bike.

Well, I'm not really planning on falling off, I just accept the possibility.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Hypnolobster posted:

Yay! Signed up for the MSF in Ohio in June, of all months, with my little brother (MonkeyNutZ).

Tell that slacker to finish the opel first.

Have fun!

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

I took mine about the same time last year. The bikes were actually pretty well maintained. They just had a few dents and scratches from the obvious.

Don't worry about dropping it. No one in my class dropped it, and we had a couple people that I would never ride with.

You will die of heat stroke, though.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

A MIRACLE posted:

I used to, Neuralspark and Nitrospazz still do afaik. Good luck on the MSF :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

A MIRACLE posted:

Yup I commute pretty much year round on the SV. Have fun at the MSF course.

And looks like I should have read farther down before posting, oh well.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

teknicolor posted:

I used to, Neuralspark and Nitrospazz still do afaik. Good luck on the MSF :)

Why did you stop, if you don't mind me asking?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Long story, but I took my bike to a trusted mechanic and they royally hosed it up, which caused it to sit while I sourced parts and fixed it myself (on the cheap so it waited a while), which led to carb issues (I admit to 100% fault here, I didn't drain/sta-bil the tank), and eventually I sold it. I'd get another bike in a second if I could afford it, but I'm going back to school and working two jobs so I don't really have time time or money to spend on riding. I still have enough gear to get back on, but I want to invest in a FI bike next time, so I can't get burnt on a carb issue I can't fix myself.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Ahh cool, I was afraid it was some sort of major accident. A mix of circumstances is a better situation, still not very fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want CA's expert opinion on this one. Some guys at SVRider sell bar-end mirrors, which they claim are manufactured in Japan and then assembled by hand here in the US.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149659

Personally, I think they're probably eBay mirrors, with maybe the bolts swapped out for stainless hardware, then flipped at a nice profit margin.

ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GSXR...#ht_3941wt_1037

The guys selling them challenge the eBay claim, and there have been no complaints by the people who have bought them, with some who compare the two saying there is a difference... placebo, or real?