Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

beedeebee posted:

Is there a decent money-spending/budget tracking app that also has a web interface/a desktop application?

So far the only one I've found is You Need a Budget, it looks nice, but it's expensive ($60). Any alternatives? I can't use Mint, as I'm not in the states.
I started that discussion earlier. I settled with YNAB on the desktop, because it's a) not buggy Quicken, b) doesn't look like poo poo, c) has rollover surpluses and d) isn't a web-app. The sync between desktop and phone is rather clumsy, tho. They're promising some sort of cloud sync, but who knows for when, and if it's going to cost or if it'll use a free third-party service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I seem to remember goons not liking Handcent SMS much and I think it's slowing my phone down a bit.

However I use the quick reply window from the lockscreen pretty much constantly. Is there an SMS app that is faster or more optimized than Handcent that still has the popup/quick reply window?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Syrinxx posted:

I seem to remember goons not liking Handcent SMS much and I think it's slowing my phone down a bit.

However I use the quick reply window from the lockscreen pretty much constantly. Is there an SMS app that is faster or more optimized than Handcent that still has the popup/quick reply window?

Have you tried "SMS Popup"? It's just the pop up with quick reply and nothing else.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Syrinxx posted:

I recently switched to Go SMS Pro, and have been pretty happy with it as a replacement for Handcent.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Two things I love about Chomp (that may very possibly exist in other replacement messaging apps) is being able to long press the search button to pop up a quick compose box from within any app or from the lockscreen (I use WidgetLocker) and being able to swipe up from one of my dock icons to open the quick compose box.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

landis posted:

Chromium is the open source browser Chrome is based on and they are two separate entities. So no, it will not work with Chromium.

That's not really true at all. Chrome and Chrome for Android are both forks of Chromium, Almost everything that's true about Chrome is true about Chromium.

Turns out I'm still on Chromium 15, and Chromium 19 is already out. I guess I'll try updating!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

That would do the trick, I'll start looking around the serious hardware forum for recommendations on systems. Thanks!

Farhad Manjoo (tech blogger at slate.com) says good things about Sonos wireless speakers. You can buy them from Target or Amazon (I think) but they're expensive-ish. They start at like $200.

Crossposting from rooted thread:

quote:

I used to have a Palm device on Sprint that had a patch where you could force roam. It was one of the only awesome features on the phone; just underneath "Airplane Mode" was "Force Roam," and in every place where Sprint got lovely service I could get my phone to work reliably.

Android has a superuser app that is apparently not in the market that does this. It's called Roam Control, it costs $4, and it works. If you happen to be in a situation like mine -- you have Sprint, but you know Verizon has better coverage in some areas -- it's worth it.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

That's not really true at all. Chrome and Chrome for Android are both forks of Chromium, Almost everything that's true about Chrome is true about Chromium.

Turns out I'm still on Chromium 15, and Chromium 19 is already out. I guess I'll try updating!
I shouldn't have said separate (although in my defense Chromium itself used to say "based on"). I admit I assumed that not including the Google branding would mean not including some Google services like sync but that isn't true so I was wrong anyway.

In any case, it seems that it's supposed to be in the same place: Options->Personal Stuff->Sign in to Chromium, so hopefully updating fixes it for you.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Have you tried "SMS Popup"? It's just the pop up with quick reply and nothing else.

I switched from handsent to SMS popup some time back for the same reason. It is worth it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Are there any really boss games I should think about getting while I wait for Temple Run to hit?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Read through the games thread.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I tried it, but it doesn't seem to have a "quick compose" popup, which is what I really want.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Read through the games thread.

Whoops! Forgot we had that. Thanks.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

Lprsti99 posted:

I tried it, but it doesn't seem to have a "quick compose" popup, which is what I really want.

I seem to remember it having what you want pre-ICS. Maybe it'll come back.

In regards to chrome tab sync, I had to sign out of my account in chrome on my computer and sign back in before it would work for me.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Lprsti99 posted:

I think it does. Check the options. I've been using SMS Popup since the day I got my first OG Droid. It is great.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

big mean giraffe posted:

It's working fantastically on my evo 3d :smug:

And how about your camera?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

brc64 posted:

And how about your camera?

Don't worry, it fits his needs perfectly. :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

deong posted:

I switched from handsent to SMS popup some time back for the same reason. It is worth it.

Yeah it's great, but I had to stop using it because it's pretty flaky when it comes to lock screens and such.

I have a 20 minute pin set on my phone, and I like SMS popup to pop-up only when the screen is off, that way it doesn't interrupt me when I'm actually using my phone. I wind up having to unlock my phone two times to answer a text, even if it's before the 20 minute pin lock activates. :smith:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Is there any way to make my Glaxy S II's power button menu include a camera option?

Need a camera button so bad

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Is there an app that lets me set up different settings profiles for different battery states, so for example when I'm charging the phone the screen timeout gets set to 10 minutes but gets set to 1 minute when I'm on battery? Something that can automatically toggle Wifi/4G when a network is in or out of range would be great too.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Is there an app that lets me set up different settings profiles for different battery states, so for example when I'm charging the phone the screen timeout gets set to 10 minutes but gets set to 1 minute when I'm on battery? Something that can automatically toggle Wifi/4G when a network is in or out of range would be great too.

For the former, Tasker can do this, but it might be overkill if you're not going to use it for anything else. I would imagine Setting Profiles would be able to do it too, but hopefully someone who has experience with it can confirm or refute that.

For the latter, you could coax Tasker into doing that, but goon-made Woofi would be the simpler choice.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
What's the best sleep-tracking/alarm app out there? I need to find some way to get my rear end up in the morning a bit better.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Lawnie posted:

What's the best sleep-tracking/alarm app out there? I need to find some way to get my rear end up in the morning a bit better.

For an effective alarm I recommended Alarm Clock Xtreme. Nothing gets your rear end up like solving math in the morning to shut it off. It sucks but works like a champ.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

For an effective alarm I recommended Alarm Clock Xtreme. Nothing gets your rear end up like solving math in the morning to shut it off. It sucks but works like a champ.

I would use something like this, but I spend all day every day doing math in class. The alarm could ask me to solve a linear first order differential equation and I'd probably still go back to sleep afterwards. I really want something that will use the accelerometer (well) to wake me up when I'm sleeping lightly. I've heard things like this recommended and figured I'd give it a try.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lawnie posted:

I would use something like this, but I spend all day every day doing math in class. The alarm could ask me to solve a linear first order differential equation and I'd probably still go back to sleep afterwards. I really want something that will use the accelerometer (well) to wake me up when I'm sleeping lightly. I've heard things like this recommended and figured I'd give it a try.

I use Gentle Alarm. While it doesn't use the accelerometer, it does let you set a target time you have to be up and will do a real quiet alarm even earlier to wake you up if you're not deep asleep.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

ante posted:

Is there any way to make my Glaxy S II's power button menu include a camera option?

Need a camera button so bad

Seriously this. The lack of a camera button is the only thing I an unhappy about on my SGS2.

Anyway, it can be done with a hacked camera apk (you would need to be rooted). There was a thread on XDA with a bunch of different hacked APKs with extra features added but I don't think it's been updated in a looong time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Don't worry, it fits his needs perfectly. :v:

Hey, not having a working camera is a legitimate need! (if you work somewhere with a draconian security policy :haw: )

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So is it pretty much accepted that FourSquare doesn't know your location for poo poo?

I'd say about 50% of the time, it doesn't update, and keeps thinking I'm at home. I've tried every combo I can think of to get it to update properly (only cell, only GPS, only wifi, wifi plus cell, wifi plus GPS, GPS plus cell, all three) but if it's in "sorry, I refuse to update location" mode, nothing works. I have checked the geocaching option, I have had it unchecked, same problem

Google Maps and other apps update my location just fine, so why do you mock me, FourSquare?!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DrBouvenstein posted:

So is it pretty much accepted that FourSquare doesn't know your location for poo poo?

That's my experience with it, yeah. I've stopped "playing" it because of it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Everything about the FourSquare idea is cool except for the app, which is awful. I had the same problem and gradually just forgot to ever use it. Good to know they haven't fixed it in the year since! v:v:v

Camera button wanting guys, have you considered app sliders with Widget Locker? In addition to normal unlock, I have a camera slider and a Shazam slider set up, which unlock the phone directly to the respective apps.

And I have a question about that: is there a way to force Gingerbread to keep the camera and Shazam loaded in memory all the time so there's less startup delay? Shazam especially takes about 20 seconds to boot the first time, and sometimes the song's already over. Can I use Autostarts somehow to add it to the "startup on boot" list?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Lawnie posted:

I really want something that will use the accelerometer (well) to wake me up when I'm sleeping lightly. I've heard things like this recommended and figured I'd give it a try.

I use Electric Sleep with good results.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
Has anyone run into this problem with Spotify?

I often have the app unexpectedly crash, but the notification bar still lists the song as if the app were running. I would say about half the time the app works just fine, but it seems like it will crash over and over if it gets going. I have mixed results with the requisite 'restart' troubleshooting method. The settings in the app are pretty limited and I can't seem to find anything that might cause it. It happens on and off WiFi so I have not identified a common factor other than I'm actually using the app and it might just be a piece of poo poo.

DroidX (stock)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Spotify crashes for me every time I add a song to a playlist (including starring it) without fail. It's generally pretty solid if I'm just listening, though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I ended up trying Sleep as an Droid. The settings are a little confusing, so the alarm was set to silent by default (:whatthechrist: by the way). It didn't wake me this morning because of that, but I had a backup alarm set. I'm gonna try it for a couple weeks and see what the results are.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

Stevie Lee posted:

Spotify crashes for me every time I add a song to a playlist (including starring it) without fail. It's generally pretty solid if I'm just listening, though.

Yeah I guess I do a lot of adding of songs and searching. I considered that might be the cause of it. A buggy app is all. Oh well. Thanks for the reply.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Be sure to put your phones under your pillow so these sleep tracking apps can work more effectively.

(For the love of god don't do this)

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I've been using Sleep as an Droid for a few months now and it works pretty well. I don't use the early wake-up or gentle alarm features, just the tracking. It does a pretty good job, and the captcha to turn off the alarm can be helpful (it has a few different difficulties).

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I used to use Alarm Clock Xtreme, but recently I actually set up Llama to run WMMR's Android app every morning. Waking up to the Preston & Steve Show is the only way to wake up.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

lessthankyle posted:

I've been using Sleep as an Droid for a few months now and it works pretty well. I don't use the early wake-up or gentle alarm features, just the tracking. It does a pretty good job, and the captcha to turn off the alarm can be helpful (it has a few different difficulties).

The only thing I don't like is that the math is... too easy. I can do 5 problems on the hard setting hardly even thinking about it. If they were to add some parentheses and exponents it would be a lot more satisfactory, but I can do 9*14+8 pretty darn quickly at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Lawnie posted:

The only thing I don't like is that the math is... too easy. I can do 5 problems on the hard setting hardly even thinking about it. If they were to add some parentheses and exponents it would be a lot more satisfactory, but I can do 9*14+8 pretty darn quickly at this point.

I'm the same way with Gentle Alarm. The math is just x*y+a*b. They make me solve 2, but it's the same formula. Is there any way to make these a bit harder?

• Locked thread