Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

:roboluv: Android Apps! :roboluv:
Need suggestions from manchildren about apps? Need to argue about the interface of your favorite music player? You've come to the right place!

i. New stuff in the world of Android apps:
- Android 4.2 Not really "apps" so much, but the 4.2 keyboard introduces Swype-style typing. You can find it on the Play Store if your device doesn't have 4.2 yet.
- Not much else!

ii. Awesome Goon-Made Apps!

Awful Betamax: A SA forums browser written by Ferg and others! It's updated often, and is way better than the site on a phone. The new version has fixed a lot of the problems the old version had. It's pretty great now. Don't forget to check the app's thread for more details!

Woofi: Thermopyle wrote this app that will automatically manage your WiFi, based on your location. It's a simple idea, but a useful one! And it's :siren:FREE:siren:, although there is an unlocker ($.99) for more features. It's no longer in active development, but it still works.

Beaver (Lite/$2.99): A super-handy private browser. Has all of the features of a good Android web browser, but will automatically clear browsing history on exit, a hidden stash of files that can only be accessed by password, and a bunch of other awesome features. It's more than just "Incognito Mode" for your phone.

Emit (Free/$3.54): A nice-looking media streamer. Supports streaming over 3G/WiFi. I haven't used this myself, so if anyone has a testimonial or more info, I'll put it here!

Out of Milk (Free/$1.99 Pro Version): Shamelessly stolen from their website: Out of Milk is an easy-to-use and intuitive Shopping List, To-Do List and Pantry List app that can be as simple or as detailed as you'd like. Out of Milk features a Barcode Scanner, the ability to specify price, quantity, unit, coupons and notes, and many more features. Out of Milk allows you to sync your lists with our full-featured companion website. You can also share your lists with other Out of Milk Pro users.

iii. Handy Apps I Recommend.
Clock Widgets
Beautiful Widgets [Paid] [1.6+]
Beautiful Widgets provides quality looking widgets with full skinning support. Clock/Weather, various toggle, battery, and date widgets are provided. Also has an option for a temperature notification in the notification bar.

Ultimate Custom Clock Widget
UCCW is the defacto widget set for customizing homescreens. It's extremely flexible and there are a TON of skins out there to find and use.

Spotify/Rdio/MOG/etc. - Over the past year or so, subscription music services have taken off. The newest comer in the US is Spotify, but they all basically do the same thing. You pay $x/mo. and in return, they allow you to listen to all the music you want. You don't get to keep the music, but it's an extremely convenient way to listen to music on your phone - no need to sync any files.

Tasker: This app allows you to automate a lot of things on your phone. Would you like your phone to turn your brightness down and disable wifi, Bluetooth and GPS when your battery is low? If you're looking for your phone to do activity x when you do thing y, this is probably the app for you.

Apex Launcher (Free/$3.99)/Nova Launcher (Free/$4.00): Two custom launchers that are built upon the stock Ice Cream Sandwich launcher. Honestly, I don't know that there's a huge difference between the two. Both have paid versions that unlock additional features.

iv. Alternative Markets!

Either you love this idea or you hate it, but recently, other companies have started to run their own Android app markets.

Amazon Appstore - The most popular alternative. Every day, they offer a new free app. Honestly, this is... kind of the only benefit as far as I'm concerned.

GetJar - This place used to be a giant repository of .jar files for cell phones back in the day. They've since morphed into an app market of sorts. The big attraction is that they have an ever-growing section of "Gold" apps - basically, free apps that... well, always seems to be free. Other than that, it's not nearly as nice as Amazon's.

v. Other resources
Other Android threads:
Android Device thread
Rooted Android thread
Android Games Thread
Show Off Your Desktop

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Also, Awful, the Somethingawful forum browser app is another great goon made app for android.

It does a great job of formatting the forums to be easier to read on your phone. I think it has some tablet support too.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

sleepwalkers posted:

How can I sync my Android phone to my PC/Mac/Linux computer?
Android can do drag-and-drop, or certain music players (Spotify, Winamp, etc.) allow you to sync music. There are other solutions like DoubleTwist, too.
This section should definitely include iSyncr because it's awesome and DoubleTwist is a piece of crap.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What about Beaver, the other, other goon built app?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Emit is a goon made app as well.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So, I've asked a couple of times but is the LP rewrite pretty much dead at this point? It was my favorite launcher back in the day but it just isn't what it used to be.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Codiusprime posted:

So, I've asked a couple of times but is the LP rewrite pretty much dead at this point? It was my favorite launcher back in the day but it just isn't what it used to be.

As of October 6th, "still in the works".

edit: Federico is really the worst Twitter user ever

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 23, 2011

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

It should probably be noted that the Amazon Appstore is US-only (much to our dismay here in Europe).

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Syrinxx posted:

This section should definitely include iSyncr because it's awesome and DoubleTwist is a piece of crap.

I prefer manually managing my music's file structure and simply drag-and-dropping onto the phone, but this is coming from a stubborn old school PC user who borderline hates iTunes (not Apple.)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Also, Awful, the Somethingawful forum browser app is another great goon made app for android.

It does a great job of formatting the forums to be easier to read on your phone. I think it has some tablet support too.

Since this is probably going to drive a significant amount of new users to the Awful app, it's worth pointing out that the app recently had a major overhaul, and bug-squashing is still happening at the moment.

The big one is that "jump to last unread post" is not currently working as intended, and the workaround is to go to forums.somethingawful.com in a web browser, then to User Control Panel -> User Options -> "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" -> Yes.

The other big one is that if you click a link in Awful, and come back from the link without closing Awful, then click another link, Awful will crash and the link won't be opened.

Ferg (the lead dev) says both issues and more are fixed in the upcoming version.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Codiusprime posted:

LauncherPro is still working for me. I'm sticking to it unless another launcher will allow me to clone over my icon layouts.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Does Phantom Music Control not work with the beta version of the default music app? Everything I've read says it does, but whenever I press pause/play, next track, or anything else, it seems to switch over to the non-Music Beta version.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

trandorian posted:

LauncherPro is still working for me. I'm sticking to it unless another launcher will allow me to clone over my icon layouts.
Android specifically prohibits this.

That said, I've had no performance issues with LPP at all and the Twitter and Agenda widgets own. I know I could change, but I've just had no reason to.

Drifter287 posted:

Does Phantom Music Control not work with the beta version of the default music app? Everything I've read says it does, but whenever I press pause/play, next track, or anything else, it seems to switch over to the non-Music Beta version.
I thought you needed a pay version of Phantom Music Control to work with the new Music?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Android specifically prohibits this.

How is that possible? I don't use any widgets, just icons.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I thought you needed a pay version of Phantom Music Control to work with the new Music?

Yeah you do, I paid for the pro license but it's still not working.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Drifter287 posted:

Yeah you do, I paid for the pro license but it's still not working.

Disable headset controls in whatever app is taking focus and see if it works. Also I don't think the auto-choose option works in Phantom Music Controls, you have to specify the app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

trandorian posted:

How is that possible? I don't use any widgets, just icons.
Oh sorry, I thought you meant apps and widgets. App layout could be portable, although whatever launcher would have to be able to read LP's backup file. Widgets, however, cannot be be restored for some reason that I don't know.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Disable headset controls in whatever app is taking focus and see if it works. Also I don't think the auto-choose option works in Phantom Music Controls, you have to specify the app.

I don't see anything like that in options for the stock music app, just some audio effects options, and I switched it from the auto-choose option to Stock app 2.3/Google Music.

It's strange, if I open up Music beta, the widget pops up on my lock screen, but it doesn't display the right track. If I hit pause, the Music Beta icon disappears like it usually does when you hit pause/stop, but then the stock music player app opens up. If I try to hit the music app hot swap button, it occasionally opens up gmail.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Drifter287 posted:

I don't see anything like that in options for the stock music app, just some audio effects options, and I switched it from the auto-choose option to Stock app 2.3/Google Music.

It's strange, if I open up Music beta, the widget pops up on my lock screen, but it doesn't display the right track. If I hit pause, the Music Beta icon disappears like it usually does when you hit pause/stop, but then the stock music player app opens up. If I try to hit the music app hot swap button, it occasionally opens up gmail.

Actually, I had that problem too. I just uninstalled the default music app, but if you're not rooted, I guess you're screwed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone else have trouble with library books not syncing to your Kindle app? The first one took 12 hours to sync. The 2nd hasn't shown up after two days, even after going to Amazon and resending it to my phone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What's the issue with LauncherPro?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

Ferg (the lead dev) says both issues and more are fixed in the upcoming version.

Yeah next version fixes a ton of regressions and adds PM support.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yeah, it's fully optimized for tablets and Ice Cream Sandwich, and will soon (post-2.1 release) be optimized for Google TV.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

What's the issue with LauncherPro?

It's all but abandonware these days. He was really good on the updates for a while but started focusing on his music player and hasn't updated LP in ages.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Midjack posted:

It's all but abandonware these days. He was really good on the updates for a while but started focusing on his music player and hasn't updated LP in ages.

Has he even updated the music player in a while? I haven't heard anything about it in forever either.

While we're on launchers...is there any way to DECREASE the number of homescreens you have on ADW (I'm running the stock version that comes with CyanogenMod)? I can't seem to find it in the options...

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

trandorian posted:

Whenever I'm setting up GoLauncher it offers to copy the layout from other launchers. You can also use Desk Migrate

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Syrinxx posted:

Whenever I'm setting up GoLauncher it offers to copy the layout from other launchers. You can also use Desk Migrate

Thanks!

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010
I moved to GO Launcher after it became obvious that LauncherPro wasn't going to continue to be supported. Also, I was tired of it crashing and having to force close it twice a day.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yo Eleven posted:

I moved to GO Launcher after it became obvious that LauncherPro wasn't going to continue to be supported. Also, I was tired of it crashing and having to force close it twice a day.

I don't ever have LP crash for force close on me. I wish it were better supported, but it does everything I need.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Does Go Launcher support landscape yet?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Splizwarf posted:

Does Go Launcher support landscape yet?

I just installed it and yes, it does.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Has he even updated the music player in a while? I haven't heard anything about it in forever either.

While we're on launchers...is there any way to DECREASE the number of homescreens you have on ADW (I'm running the stock version that comes with CyanogenMod)? I can't seem to find it in the options...

Press Edit.. after you press the phones menu button on the homescreen.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Shameless plug for a goon run (me :shobon:) website / app combo - https://www.wheresmycellphone.com

The website calls your phone should you misplace it and simply need your phone to ring. Install the android app and it will max your ringer volume only when ringing it from the site.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Treytor posted:

Shameless plug for a goon run (me :shobon:) website / app combo - https://www.wheresmycellphone.com

The website calls your phone should you misplace it and simply need your phone to ring. Install the android app and it will max your ringer volume only when ringing it from the site.
Huh, so that's why I have this. I've never lost a cellphone but I've been afraid to delete this app because you just know that deleting it would preface the first time I'd need it.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
BeyondPod can update podcasts at custom intervals and replace lockscreen with player when playing.

gReader is fast, clean-looking RSS app with a lot of great features.

Ringdroid lets you edit mp3s to make ringtones and notifications.

uberMusic is a super-smooth music player that can look like Zune.

Launcher 7 is a really nice Windows Phone 7 style launcher; supports widgets .

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
So does Google Books kind of suck and not deal with footnotes well/at all? Because that is my current experience. I bought the new Terry Pratchett, and as fans know, footnotes are like half the experience.

e: Well I'm convinced the GB app is crap but I think I'm a big fan of the service. Just went on to the website, I didn't even realize that it would let me download it as an epub that I was then able to load onto my Sony Reader. Pretty sweet.

Manky fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 24, 2011

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Anyone else having sporadic success with G+'s automatic photo upload? I have mine set to only upload new photos when I plug in the phone. It only seems to work half of the time, or it only checks it every few days or something...annoying.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

What are the best camera apps?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Not necessarily a camera app, but I replaced the stock Gallery app with QuickPic. I suggest this app for everyone and it loads significantly faster than Gallery.

I got PicSay Pro from Amazon's daily app once and I like that for editing photos on the go. There's a free version too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

air- posted:

Not necessarily a camera app, but I replaced the stock Gallery app with QuickPic. I suggest this app for everyone and it loads significantly faster than Gallery.
I'll second this recommendation, although the new ICS Gallery looks much improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

The MIUI camera is the fastest until ICS comes out. I don't think it's on the market though.

• Locked thread