Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This one winter was a random fluctuation that has happened before, it's not evidence of global warming. Hopefully it wakes a few people up though.

You're right, it's not by itself evidence of global warming. The number of high temperature records though, some decades old, is pretty startling and disturbing, though. It's not the climapocalypse, but I'd argue it's a bit more than "a random fluctuation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nowa
Mar 20, 2006

...a gulliver of dreams.

Radbot posted:

You're right, it's not by itself evidence of global warming. The number of high temperature records though, some decades old, is pretty startling and disturbing, though. It's not the climapocalypse, but I'd argue it's a bit more than "a random fluctuation".

This one is simple physics. Earth is producing more heat (energy) and trapping more heat (energy). With more energy in the atmosphere, you're going to end up with:
1. More storms.
2. Bigger storms.
3. More extreme climate swings (ie blizzards in Algeria and heatwaves in Nebraska).

The world climate is just going to get "super"-charged. Super-droughts, super-hurricanes, super-blizzards, etc.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nowa posted:

This one is simple physics. Earth is producing more heat (energy) and trapping more heat (energy). With more energy in the atmosphere, you're going to end up with:
1. More storms.
2. Bigger storms.
3. More extreme climate swings (ie blizzards in Algeria and heatwaves in Nebraska).

The world climate is just going to get "super"-charged. Super-droughts, super-hurricanes, super-blizzards, etc.

Right, but at the same time I think it's important not to pull the leftist equivalent of putting a copy of An Inconvenient Truth in a snowbank.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

a lovely poster posted:

Yes, shutting down large-scale industrial projects is going to be easier (not easy) than convincing people not to procreate. Welcome to reality.

I have news for you buddy, somebody already convinced a heckuva lot of people not to procreate

pre:
Nation     Total Fertility Rate       Population Growth Rate

Japan      1.21 children born/woman   -0.278%

Bulgaria   1.42 children born/woman   -0.781%

Russia     1.42 children born/woman   -0.47%

Germany    1.41 children born/woman   -0.208%

Thailand   1.66 children born/woman   0.566%

Canada     1.58 children born/woman   0.794%
All data courtesy the CIA world factbook.

There is no way we can possibly have a sustainable economy and maintain population growth forever. The more people there are the thinner we have to slice the pie for everyone. Don't you think shutting down those big carbon emitting industries like tar sand mining will be a bit more difficult if you add a couple billion more dissatisfied youth clamoring for jobs and energy? The earlier our population plateaus the easier it'll be to control emissions. There's a reason the IPCC puts so much effort into modeling population growth scenarios.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thing is, it is completely inevitable that all the fossil fuels in the earth will be used up. There's no stopping that, the developed world is too slow to curb usage, and the developing world is only increasing usage. We have to figure out what to do once the inevitable comes. Plant more trees? Terraform?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It ain't over til it's over dude, defeatism will get you nowhere. You might be dead already but some of us still have some kick. As far as mitigation goes if you have archives you could check out Dreyland's geoengineering thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422047&userid=55080 but if we really went and burned every ounce of coal in the earth's crust I doubt any mitigation strategy in that thread could save us.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Radbot posted:

From what I understand it is La Nina combined with a lack of the normal high pressure system over greenland that shoves the jet stream down into the US. We have had warmer winters on record with less snowfall, and considering last winter was cold and snowy, it's disingenuous to call this an effect of global warming. Winter is going strong in other parts of the northern hemisphere.

When these start coming in rows, it's finally starting.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ervin K posted:

Thing is, it is completely inevitable that all the fossil fuels in the earth will be used up. There's no stopping that, the developed world is too slow to curb usage, and the developing world is only increasing usage. We have to figure out what to do once the inevitable comes. Plant more trees? Terraform?

Peak fuel , personally would be an ideal scenario if it where to be so simple.

Theres a tonne of coal still in the ground, and a tonne of shale oil. Unfortunately shifting dependence onto those forms will amplify CO2 emissions as both are completely grotty sources of fuel.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

From what I understand it is La Nina combined with a lack of the normal high pressure system over greenland that shoves the jet stream down into the US. We have had warmer winters on record with less snowfall, and considering last winter was cold and snowy, it's disingenuous to call this an effect of global warming. Winter is going strong in other parts of the northern hemisphere.

No whats happening has been occuring for a while now, and doesn't neatly fit the el-nino/la-nina pattern. There has been absolutely absurd things going on weather wise. Last year we had a month of over 40c days which is unheard of, here in perth.

But regardless, the diagnosis that its already happening already accounts for what you mention. Its not predicted anymore. That would imply an event in the future. Its happening right now. At least for the time being, some years will be utterly hosed in the head, and some will be mild and reasuring. Thats to be expected too.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 9, 2012

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Squalid posted:

I have news for you buddy, somebody already convinced a heckuva lot of people not to procreate
pre:
Nation     Total Fertility Rate       Population Growth Rate

Japan      1.21 children born/woman   -0.278%

Bulgaria   1.42 children born/woman   -0.781%

Russia     1.42 children born/woman   -0.47%

Germany    1.41 children born/woman   -0.208%

Thailand   1.66 children born/woman   0.566%

Canada     1.58 children born/woman   0.794%
All data courtesy the CIA world factbook.
Yes, that 'someone' is personal wealth and economic security, not anyone advocating the One True Way.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I'm well aware of the relationship between wealth and birth rates, strudel man. I'm merely demonstrating that in many countries a majority are already forgoing large families. As obvious as that sounds there is literally someone arguing that it is impossible a few posts up

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Define rows?

Are you talking about warm winters? Global warming doesn't mean "warm winters", the effects are much greater than that and they have been coming in rows for quite some time now. We are already at 1 degree of warming.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

a lovely poster posted:

Define rows?

Are you talking about warm winters? Global warming doesn't mean "warm winters", the effects are much greater than that and they have been coming in rows for quite some time now. We are already at 1 degree of warming.

However, "global warming" is an oversimplification of the process of climate change. It really means more erratic weather patterns worldwide, with a warming trend on a macro level, but in a more local sense every place will be affected differently.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

deptstoremook posted:

However, "global warming" is an oversimplification of the process of climate change. It really means more erratic weather patterns worldwide, with a warming trend on a macro level, but in a more local sense every place will be affected differently.

It's not really an oversimplification, it's just confusing to people who equate a warming earth with warmer temperatures and nothing more. Climate change is the preferred nomenclature because it's easier to understand, not because its more accurate.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

a lovely poster posted:

Define rows?

I meant winters completely inconsistent with the normal ones for that area. I'm not a climate change denier.

kreayshawns talent
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If any of you guys are interested in a good comprehensive summary of recent studies on ocean acidification I recommend this publication that I just finished: http://oceanacidification.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/review-of-ocean-acidification-edited-by-j-p-gattuso-and-l-hansson/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Does ocean acidification necessarily lead to a run-away affect of basically the entirety of ocean life disappearing within a few years once a certain pH threshold is reached?

Or will it be a gradual regional falloff where dead-zones continue to expand and the upper layers are able to support less and less?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Squalid posted:

I'm well aware of the relationship between wealth and birth rates, strudel man. I'm merely demonstrating that in many countries a majority are already forgoing large families. As obvious as that sounds there is literally someone arguing that it is impossible a few posts up
Arguing that convincing people not to procreate is impossible-ish, yes. Demonstrating that people naturally procreate less under certain circumstances is in no way a refutation of that.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 10, 2012

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Squalid posted:

I never said it was impossible, I said it would be easier to shut down large scale industrial projects. I'm aware that birth rates can be lowered via the education of women, providing easy access to birth control and increasing the economic conditions of the people. It doesn't really matter if it's easier to shut down large scale industrial projects or to provide the aforementioned things for the developing world, there's no political will to do either. Beyond that, even if we wanted to provide those conditions for the developing world, we simply do not have the resources available to provide that for seven billion people using the current distribution methods our society employs.

Also if you're going to misrepresent what I posted (see: "literally someone arguing that it is impossible") you might as well quote me so everyone else can know you're making poo poo up too.

a lovely poster posted:

Yes, shutting down large-scale industrial projects is going to be easier (not easy) than convincing people not to procreate.

Beyond that, why don't you go read what I was originally responding to, someone asking why the media doesn't address these things. I still am not convinced that we need to be drilling the idea that having children is bad for the environment into people's head. Put it this way, we've been having children for a very long time and only recently has our environmental footprint gotten too large. It's not that there's seven billion of us, it's how we've chosen to organize.

a lovely poster fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 10, 2012

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Powercrazy posted:

Does ocean acidification necessarily lead to a run-away affect of basically the entirety of ocean life disappearing within a few years once a certain pH threshold is reached?

Or will it be a gradual regional falloff where dead-zones continue to expand and the upper layers are able to support less and less?
Not sure how much people know about the subject, I'll keep it general.

Definitely the second one, Ocean Acidification is so far happening slower the colder the water. There are definite zones where the impact can/will be seen first. Upper layer warm water areas will be hit the hardest. The problem with this is that those are the areas that most of the worlds large reefs are in, and ocean acidification is really, really bad news for coral.

How the overall ecosystem will be hit is still unknown of course, though there are a few negative feedback loops that have been found. One is that as water heats up, the vertical ocean currents slow down. This has a couple worrisome implications. We can already see the rate of ocean absorption of CO2 slowing down, due to saturation. This will get worse as the slowing vertical currents bring less fresh/unsaturated water to the surface where it can absorb CO2. Meaning that current models assuming a certain rate of CO2 getting stored in the ocean may be inaccurate, the situation could be worse than we thought. There is also the issue that slower vertical currents means hotter surface water, as less deep, cool water is cycled up. Warmer surface temperatures mean worse storms, and that combines with the loss of the coastal tropical reefs which provide an (important) natural sea barrier. Worse storms and less natural protection spells fun times ahead. Less vertical cycling also means trouble for the existing dead zones, as less oxygen just exacerbates the issue.

Reefs also serve as very important fisheries for many species, and their loss will have a large impact on fishing worldwide, problematic for the portion of the world dependent on sea food to eat.

There is some good news though, as test studies have shown that some species have a pretty great ability to adapt to slightly more acidic water. So we don't have to worry about total loss from just ocean acidification.

Late Edit: I didn't make it very clear above, but for a fairly large portion of sea life ocean acidification has no direct impact at all. It only interferes with certain processes that not all ocean life uses/needs. The problem is that quite a few of the species at the bottom of the food chain fall onto the harmful ocean acidification side. No one knows for sure how that will impact the overall ecosystem. There are also the indirect issues such as found in the coral reefs, while ocean acidification doesn't necessarily hurt the fish itself, the loss of their habitat in the reef system will be just as harmful. But there's no reason to worry about total extinction or anything like that. There are some crazy resourceful creatures out there.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 10, 2012

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

There is some good news though, as test studies have shown that some species have a pretty great ability to adapt to slightly more acidic water. So we don't have to worry about total loss from just ocean acidification.

Thanks for the info. That last bit of "good" news may actually mean that the human race won't extinct itself.

As I'm sure you are aware, current governments are really good at addressing/solving important problems once the political climate is right, however if an event like total ocean extinction occurs, there won't be enough time to mandate/repair as we will all literally suffocate within a few months. However a gradual, quantifiable process happens over a few decades, we may see some surprisingly forceful legislation that would have been perfect back in the 70's. Oh well.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Heartland Institute financial and planning documents leaked. There is a lot of stuff here and it's pretty scary poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Heresiarch posted:

Heartland Institute financial and planning documents leaked. There is a lot of stuff here and it's pretty scary poo poo.

I would personally like to see these people lined up against a wall and shot.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

When exactly was this winter that was warmer, with less snowfall? I mentioned records being broken because, by their very nature, broken records indicate something historic.

Also, I don't understand why climate conspiracies seem to find such purchase with people (other than the obvious answer that it would force them to do something they don't want to do in the face of an amorphous threat) - to me, it seems like you should be able to unravel them with a single question: qui loving bono? It would be a conspiracy on a scale that would make Trutherism seem quaint.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 15, 2012

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Radbot posted:

When exactly was this winter that was warmer, with less snowfall? I mentioned records being broken because, by their very nature, broken records indicate something historic.

Also, I don't understand why climate conspiracies seem to find such purchase with people (other than the obvious answer that it would force them to do something they don't want to do in the face of an amorphous threat) - to me, it seems like you should be able to unravel them with a single question: qui loving bono? It would be a conspiracy on a scale that would make Trutherism seem quaint.

Well his point was that it depends on where you are. I know that at least for Minnesota it has been a crazy warm winter. It was like 50 on Christmas day, and I've only had to use my window scrapers once. We've barely had any snow and it often gets above freezing.

Also, it was linked a bit ago, but the article on why exactly the problem of global warming (it happens over a long period of time, there is no one group/actor to blame, etc.) did a pretty good job of explaining why people have a hard time grasping the actual situation. This would also seem to make it easier to slip into conspiracy theories. It might be much simpler for someone to be able to blame a single group for 'creating' global warming than it would be for them to really understand what is going on.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Heresiarch posted:

Heartland claims that the worst document "stop teachers from teaching science" is a fake.

The document in question varies greatly in format from the other ones, and contains phrases like the above that seem really suspect. That's the kind of phrase you'd accuse someone of, not the type of phrase that you'd use to describe what you were doing (even if that was exactly what you were doing).

edit: The other ones appear to be real, but they primarily discuss funding sources and budget items, in my understanding.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Any good reads on scenarios where the United States is the last country to get on board carbon emission control and finds itself the target of sanctions organized outside the U.N.? Severe sanctions from a global community that recognizes its future is being imperiled (by a rogue island nation) are fascinating to ponder. It's worth thinking about because it's possible the United States' internal political issues do not improve for many years. "Okay guys, let's take it easy" regarding the consumption of cheap hydrocarbons implies a sort of consensus that just seems light-years away here. Still, I can see it being much more difficult to convince the Chinas and the Indias that they are just a few years late for the fossil-fuel gravy train, and they'll have to accept measly wind-powered growth. Has the climate science community basically already retreated to carbon sequestration?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

agarjogger posted:

Severe sanctions from a global community that recognizes its future is being imperiled (by a rogue island nation) are fascinating to ponder. It's worth thinking about because it's possible the United States' internal political issues do not improve for many years. "Okay guys, let's take it easy" regarding the consumption of cheap hydrocarbons implies a sort of consensus that just seems light-years away here.

I don't think this would happen. While the world doesn't really need America as such, they would be extremely inconvenienced by any sanctions simply because America imports and exports quite a lot of things. E.g. China would not be able to expand as rapidly as it is currently without the custom of the American market.

That and the US isn't the only major polluter - China is the largest greenhouse gas emitter and has been for quite some time now. No nation is going to implement economic sanctions when they import billions of dollars worth of goods from China.

The problem right now is that climate change is consumed with political rhetoric in the US, while the other major polluters such as China don't wish to sacrifice their economic growth over pesky considerations such as the environment. It's like that saying about only when the last trees and fish are gone are people going to realise they can't eat money - only when we're completely and utterly hosed will any of the major emitters do anything.

froglet fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 16, 2012

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It's difficult really. America built itself on the back of staggering amounts of emissions, but is no longer capable of 'paying back' all the nations it left behind. The nations who are catching up don't wish to sacrifice their own economic growth when America and other first world nations already got theirs, which in a competitive aspect is kind of reasonable. Let's say we start hitting peak everything in half a century or so and resource wars start up. The countries with the advantage of industrial growth are the ones that can defend and take as necessary, be it oil, food, minerals, whatever.

Without major concessions by those who have already benefited from the economic power of oil, countries abandoning their own economic growth would likely seal their fate when push comes to shove. This doesn't make it a good thing, but it does make the political situation complicated because very few would vote for the sacrifices required to level the playing field once again.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Maluco Marinero posted:

It's difficult really. America built itself on the back of staggering amounts of emissions, but is no longer capable of 'paying back' all the nations it left behind. The nations who are catching up don't wish to sacrifice their own economic growth when America and other first world nations already got theirs, which in a competitive aspect is kind of reasonable. Let's say we start hitting peak everything in half a century or so and resource wars start up. The countries with the advantage of industrial growth are the ones that can defend and take as necessary, be it oil, food, minerals, whatever.

Without major concessions by those who have already benefited from the economic power of oil, countries abandoning their own economic growth would likely seal their fate when push comes to shove. This doesn't make it a good thing, but it does make the political situation complicated because very few would vote for the sacrifices required to level the playing field once again.

Honestly, the only way to get developing nations completely on board would be developed nations throwing themselves behind a global climate agreement 100%. This would involve massive concessions, such as developed nations promising to begin reversing the damage they caused once they've met certain renewable energy goals as well as huge financial incentives.

Of course, that's never going to happen because "our jobs!" and it would be extremely expensive.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

Maluco Marinero posted:

This notion has always been problematic for me, too. I see it as similar to the nuclear armaments debate in geopolitics: the established nuclear powers (also global powers, not coincidentally) seek to maintain a monopoly on nuclear arms and hence power.

Similarly, the nations who first industrialized (also global colonial powers now or in the past, not coincidentally) seek to maintain a monopoly on the benefits they gained from polluting industrialism.

I know this is not an environmental way of looking at things--obviously, it's a bit of a "me-too" situation--but it's another way that the West leverages their "civilized" viewpoints to guilt and dominate the developing world. "We figured out that pollution is bad (after 150 years of it), you guys need to stop polluting now!"

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Well at least something is being done:

quote:

U.S. Joins Coalition to Cut Methane and Soot

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton today will announce a $15 million, six-country coalition dedicated to curbing non-carbon dioxide pollutants that cause global warming.

The Climate and Clean Air Coalition, made up of the United States, Bangladesh, Canada, Ghana, Mexico and Sweden and led by the U.N. Environment Programme (UNEP), will target so-called short-lived "climate forcers." Those substances -- methane, black carbon and hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) -- remain in the atmosphere only days or weeks, unlike carbon dioxide, which lasts generations.

But curbing those substances, scientists and activists say, could slow atmospheric warming 0.5 degrees Celsius by 2050 while also increasing crop yields and preventing hundreds of thousands of related deaths from respiratory and cardiovascular diseases.

"Those have outsized global warming effects and also outsized human health effects," said John Podesta, chairman of the Center for American Progress. Calling today's coalition "a significant announcement," Podesta said "there's a considerable win-win" in addressing short-term climate drivers.

The voluntary coalition also has the potential to jolt the lethargic international climate change negotiations process, which is primarily focused on emissions from carbon dioxide.

While diplomats at the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) duly churn out decisions each year, the agreements increasingly are hailed for saving the U.N. process, not the planet. Even a potentially groundbreaking decision reached in Durban, South Africa, in December to begin negotiating a new global agreement that could see all major emitters cutting carbon won't take effect until 2020. Scientists and activists warn this decade can't just be one of waiting.

A need for prompt action
"We need something that has fast action to complement the deliberate pace of the U.N. process," said Durwood Zaelke, the president and founder of the Institute for Governance and Sustainable Development. "The non-C02 is ready to rock and roll today."

The research on short-lived climate forcers goes back more than a decade, but scientists say the issue has only just started to pick up political momentum. Last year, UNEP released a major study finding that policies designed to curb these pollutants could end up being cheaper than the older technologies they replace.

"Some of the measures pay for themselves over a lifetime," said Johan Kuylenstierna, director of the York Center at the Stockholm Environment Institute and a lead author of several major studies on the issue.

Indeed, he and others said, a number of solutions cost little money and involve already existing technologies or air pollution laws. They range from substituting dirty cookstoves with ones that use modern and clean fuels -- something the State Department already is working on -- to mandating diesel particle filters for vehicles.

"We don't need to wait for technological advancement, just political will," Kuylenstierna said.

In some ways, attacking short-lived pollutants promises to be less politically fraught than the debate over CO2 emissions. Black carbon, or soot, is one issue that brought together political rivals like Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Clinton when she was serving as the Democratic senator from New York. Yet it's hardly without controversies.

India and China in opposition
Methane is a potent greenhouse gas responsible for about 18 percent of global climate change emissions. Shale gas development is expected to be the biggest new growing source of methane, but various analyses of the impact have been hotly disputed by the natural gas industry.

Black carbon has become a sensitive topic in the international climate debate. Many Western countries have pushed for its inclusion in the list of greenhouse gases under the UNFCCC, something that India has rejected on both scientific and political grounds. India and some other countries fear the focus on black carbon could ease the pressure on industrialized countries to cut the main culprit for climate change, carbon dioxide.

"It doesn't get you off the hook on carbon," Nitin Desai, a member of the Indian prime minister's climate change council, said earlier this week when asked about the coalition.

And a plan to phase out HFCs as part of the Montreal Protocol, despite support from 108 countries, faces staunch opposition from India and China. The chemicals, which are emitted in the production of refrigerants, foams and aerosols, are thousands of times more potent than carbon dioxide as greenhouse gases.

Generating support for that amendment could be a key element in the coalition, though administration officials say it's not a condition for membership. Scientists yesterday said several other countries, including Norway, are exploring joining the group. So far, only the United States and Canada have pledged funding, $10 million and $3 million, respectively.

Meanwhile, advocates insist, drawing attention to short-lived climate change drivers is not intended to be a substitute for reducing CO2.

Said Zaelke, "There is no one who does climate policy that fails to recognize that we need to win on CO2," he said.

Of course it's not anywhere even close to the kind of action that needs to be taken, but it's still a step in the right direction. Every little bit helps.

At least it's nice to see the U.S. do something. It's amazing that here we are in 2012 and it still seems like half the drat country believes that global warming is all made up by Al Gore to make money or for the left to gain political power or some New World Order conspiracy to create world government or some poo poo.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
$15 million? That's the political equivalent of a paper launch.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

It says in the article though that a number of solutions cost little money and involve already existing technologies and air pollution laws. I don't know what to make of that though.

It also said that policies to curb those emissions could be cheaper than the older technologies they replace. Since all that anyone cares about is money, that's good isn't it?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Aufzug Taube! posted:

It says in the article though that a number of solutions cost little money and involve already existing technologies and air pollution laws. I don't know what to make of that though.

It also said that policies to curb those emissions could be cheaper than the older technologies they replace. Since all that anyone cares about is money, that's good isn't it?

It could be something like compact fluorescent light-bulbs where the daily cost of using it is cheaper than an existing incandescent, but requires an up front capital cost to replace the equipment.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Well at least something is being done:

Of course it's not anywhere even close to the kind of action that needs to be taken, but it's still a step in the right direction. Every little bit helps.

No, it doesn't. This kind of thinking prevents the real action that needs to be taken. If your house is on fire, you don't go grab your neighbor's garden hose, and it wouldn't 'help' if you did. We had time for incremental changes like this twenty years ago, now the only thing that will help is swift and pervasive action of the sort that is politically impossible. Here is the only viewpoint that I think will help at this point:

"I want to abolish democracy and start up a worldwide totalitarian dictatorship in order to implement the changes we need to stop climate change. There is no way this will happen without everyone's participation, and there is no way we can democratically agree to do what needs to be done. I will use whatever violence is needed to seize power and implement the changes needed, the deaths caused by this will be nothing compared to what will happen if climate change is left unchecked."

I'm 100% serious. Maybe we can try democracy again in a few hundred years, but there is no way it can work now. We'll have WWIII anyway once the serious effects of climate change hit and the oil runs out. If you look at the kinds of actions that need to be taken and when they need to be implemented, this is the only chance we have barring everyone in the world instantly agreeing to dramatically alter their lifestyles to prevent climate change.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Konstantin posted:

I'm 100% serious. Maybe we can try democracy again in a few hundred years

Is there any evidence that seizure of world government would be somehow easier than convincing a few major powers to lead the effort in exchange for major input on the terms of that effort? Democracy is not exceptionally strong in any of the major polluters, so it's not like you really have to convince billions of people. What is your opinion of our current class of leaders? Any of them you'd trust with the world? Even if the U.N. became suddenly and exclusively devoted to climate change, what could it really do without its member nations' cooperation? Responsibility for carbon pollution is so incredibly diffuse, diffuse power is what we'll have to work with. Until the eco-terrorists start kidnapping the Kochs and making them publicly renounce their climate activism at gunpoint, I don't see what means of coercion are even available, should people start to warm to their use. I see this as our species' first big test of cooperation, and I think we should start treating it as such. Though if you think you have a real shortcut around cooperation, I'd be glad to hear it.

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!

Konstantin posted:

No, it doesn't. This kind of thinking prevents the real action that needs to be taken. If your house is on fire, you don't go grab your neighbor's garden hose, and it wouldn't 'help' if you did. We had time for incremental changes like this twenty years ago, now the only thing that will help is swift and pervasive action of the sort that is politically impossible. Here is the only viewpoint that I think will help at this point:

"I want to abolish democracy and start up a worldwide totalitarian dictatorship in order to implement the changes we need to stop climate change. There is no way this will happen without everyone's participation, and there is no way we can democratically agree to do what needs to be done. I will use whatever violence is needed to seize power and implement the changes needed, the deaths caused by this will be nothing compared to what will happen if climate change is left unchecked."

I'm 100% serious. Maybe we can try democracy again in a few hundred years, but there is no way it can work now. We'll have WWIII anyway once the serious effects of climate change hit and the oil runs out. If you look at the kinds of actions that need to be taken and when they need to be implemented, this is the only chance we have barring everyone in the world instantly agreeing to dramatically alter their lifestyles to prevent climate change.

This type of thinking is ridiculously out of touch, to say the least. Probably founded on the assumption of "well, slow but effective environmental activism is so lame and not very glorious at all. What we need is eco-Hitler, right now :awesome:".

Also, I challenge the "we must sacrifice, sacrifice, sacrifice our rights, comfort, everything" loons to lead by example instead of idle appeals. You're some privileged first world individual who makes LPs and plays video games, not much of an example.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
We can still get under the emission threshold if we geo-engineer, but that does require global treaties and international scientific and political cooperation. Not an easy thing to do.

Although the major polluters are the democracies, in the case of total CO2 emissions. China might be really turning up their emissions but they're not really relevant to current C02 emissions so far. That's on the countries who industrialized first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Konstantin posted:

That doesn't seem even remotely close to being possible though. I kinda think that long-term, we are going to see the exact opposite happen instead.

We won't see a big centralization of power in the world, but a decentralization instead. I think we will be less likely to see things like world wars, world governments and giant international alliances and more likely to see fractured nation-states, civil wars, riots and domestic upheaval. Countries will turn inward, not outward. Once the cheap oil fiesta is done with, and catastrophic climate change begins to really take its toll, I think we will see more and more people retreating back into their own little enclaves, hoarding what they can, keeping everyone else out, and attempting to localize everything they can so they don't have to depend so much on others in an increasingly unstable world.

Remember that all this climate change will bring about unprecedented human migrations. No one is going to give a poo poo about the world when this happens; they will only give a poo poo about themselves and their own little town or valley that they live in. Good luck trying to control them. I think we will see large political systems and power structures more or less lose their legitimacy, and we will see local city and state governments become more prominent, at least in the U.S. Right now when people think of 'the government' they think of the federal government, but I think that in 50 years people will think of their local city or state government when they hear that word. No one is going to give a drat about Washington when the world has gone to poo poo any more than they will give a drat about the U.N. or some world government based halfway across the planet.

In the meantime, any kind of effort to fight climate change is good, it doesn't matter what it is. Even if it's only a $15 million coalition to fight methane and black carbon, it will still help. Every little bit really does help, because it adds up over time. If your house is on fire you do take your neighbor's garden hose, because while you will still lose your house anyway, you can at least help keep the fire from spreading and burning down the rest of the neighborhood. It's better than nothing.

• Locked thread