Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ToxicFrog posted:

On top of that, you get XP for every kill or knockout - and knockouts are worth much more than kills, so a nonlethal character will be more powerful in general due to having a lot more XP to play with.

DX1, by awarding XP only for exploration and completing objectives and not for taking out enemies, gave you no OOC incentives either way and left it entirely between you and your conscience. I wish DXHR had stuck with that.
That is an interesting point. I did not think about how part of the reason for all the experience in the game was playing nonlethal; after all the warnings like "be careful with your Praxis upgrades, you will not be able to upgrade everything," I was more than a little amused that by the last area I had upgraded everything other than like hacking fortify and hacking analysis, and probably could have maxed those too if I had not started skipping enemies after finally taking invisibility in lieu of anything else to pick up.

The near-guarantee of a sequel will certainly give them the chance to address whether they felt this was an imbalance in design or an intentional "goooooo non-murderous main character!" decision. Oh, I can hardly wait to find out which ending will be canon!!! Even though it basically has to be the one that makes it so your actions did not really have much impact on the world!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Even though it's a shooter, I ended up playing Space Marine with a controller. It has hardcore aim assist and just felt like a better game with a controller IMO. It does play fine with M/KB though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The thing about Space Marine, to put in Dawn of War terms (and probably the tabletop game too, but I've never played it), is that you're going to be sorely tempted to play the game like you're a force commander, on account of all the melee-focused stuff, and the fact that you're a space marine, but in order to stay alive, it's a better idea to play it like a tactical marine (or some other shooty unit). Wading into battle swinging your chain sword around really feels like it should work in the context of the game's aesthetic, but as the game wears on, it'll get you killed pretty quickly, you should use guns for the most part.

On that note, the guy above who said not to use the Hammer that robs you of two of your guns is right--those gun slots are way more useful then a better melee weapon (even if it does look really, really cool).

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Ainsley McTree posted:

On that note, the guy above who said not to use the Hammer that robs you of two of your guns is right--those gun slots are way more useful then a better melee weapon (even if it does look really, really cool).

This said, when you get the chance to use a jump pack and Thunder Hammer, take it. For the love of the Emperor, take it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

This said, when you get the chance to use a jump pack and Thunder Hammer, take it. For the love of the Emperor, take it.

Ah yes, that is the one exception, since the jump pack takes away those slots anyway. I think at some point the game even gives you no choice but to have a jump pack and Thunder Hammer, doesn't it? Like it's saying "LOOK AT THIS AWESOME THING WE DID YOU HAVE TO TRY IT" and just starts off a level that way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm totally loving the Power Axe, though. Doesn't take any extra slots, longer combo than the chainsword, etc. Is there a way to replace the weapon in slot 4 with one of the slot 3 weapons? Meltagun + Lascannon would be amazing.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Colon V posted:

Is there a way to replace the weapon in slot 4 with one of the slot 3 weapons? Meltagun + Lascannon would be amazing.

Switch to the weapon you want to drop and then pick up the gun. Slot 1 is always a pistol and slot 2 is always a bolter, but 3 and 4 can be changed.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
SaGa Frontier
  • Your HP are restored at the conclusion of every fight. WP and JP are not, and neither are LP. You can restore them at an inn or by using a SanctuaryStone. There are a couple free inns in the game--Shrike has one at the location called "Street."
  • If you are defeated during the confrontation with Blue's brother, don't reset the game right away. Instead, watch what happens.
  • Asellus will, at some point in her story, acquire mystic abilities. Choosing whether or not to make use of them will determine what ending you get for her story (though technically, due to a bug, MysticGlove is safe to use no matter what ending you're going for).
  • If you are doing the Arcane magic gift quest, try and get the Grail card (in Yorkland) as soon as possible. As you level up, the enemies in the swamp change, and if you arrive too late (at too high a level), you'll have to fight these squid jerks instead of normal enemies. You don't want this.
  • Human party members will learn new abilities more frequently when circumstances are dire. I've heard that they learn abilities faster when battling alongside other humans, too.
  • Speaking of new abilities, sword and hand-to-hand moves can only be learned if there is an empty ability slot for them to occupy. A good habit to get into is checking your party's abilities after every so many battles to make sure everyone's got room to learn more.
  • Speaking further of new abilities, gun abilities and magic learned in battle are awarded after the battle. If you're mashing buttons while everyone's showing off their various stat increases, you might miss that someone's learned a new ability. These abilities aren't automatically equipped like sword and hand-to-hand skills--you have to equip them manually.
  • If a weapon features an ability called Finalstrike, beware--using it will cause an immense amount of damage, but will permanently destroy the weapon.
  • T260G's job in the arena is much easier if you remember that Uncle Taco can fix almost anything. Try visiting him if you have broken items in your inventory.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Any advice for someone starting out Might & Magic: Heroes VI? I've played it a few hours but I can't even finish Prologue Chapter 2.

How do I build a big enough army and properly defend other territories when the Duke Gerhart just continues to send generals my way in addition to having a gigantic army himself? I'm entirely new to the HoMM series although I've played the King's Bounty games for an embarrassing total number of hours in the past.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

SaGa Frontier

Any tips for its sequel? I'm revisiting some of my older games that I never finished and this is one that is on my list.

edit for engrish

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 8, 2012

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
I just started Far Cry 2 and read the page for it on the wiki, but I still have some questions.
Are there enough diamonds to buy everything at the weapon shop, or do I have to be careful about what I buy?
And is there any downside to dying and getting rescued by a buddy? Provided that I don't let them die, of course.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Masa posted:

I just started Far Cry 2 and read the page for it on the wiki, but I still have some questions.
Are there enough diamonds to buy everything at the weapon shop, or do I have to be careful about what I buy?
And is there any downside to dying and getting rescued by a buddy? Provided that I don't let them die, of course.

There are exactly enough diamonds for everything, but that assumes you do every side mission and find every briefcase. The in-game map has a diamond sign and a number in each of the 9 map segments which tells you how many diamonds are in the segment, at least.

No downside to being rescued except that you might drop whatever gun you had out at the time, and of course you'll die for real if you get shot up before finding your buddy again.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Masa posted:

There are enough diamonds to buy everything assuming you go and hunt down most of the chests. Personally, I'd just be careful with spending, so don't buy vehicle upgrades/weapon upgrades for stuff you'll never use. If you're on PC, use a trainer and get yourself like 2000 diamonds because getting all of them is a boring-rear end grind and there's no real reason not to.

If you get rescued by a buddy your link with that buddy goes up, so it's almost good. There are two plot events that make buddies completely worthless, though, so it barely even matters if they die.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Am I somehow a multiplayer god at Space Marine, or does everyone online just suck? I keep topping the score charts with the basic Heavy Bolter set-up, and even with just the regular Bolter, my only weakness is that I'm kinda crap at melee.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Anything for Mega Man Star Force 2? Ninja version, if that matters at all.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Panic Restaurant posted:

Anything for Mega Man Star Force 2? Ninja version, if that matters at all.

As far as the single player goes, don't. Plot sucks and the game is poorly designed i.e. unintuitive puzzles and poorly worded hints ahoy forever.

Multiplayer is also loving hard, get the extra card that gives you 800+ extra health, +3 buster sstats, +2 giga +3 mega with no penalties.
gently caress ATK, if you're good the battle will last longer than 3 rounds.
Build either a parachain or a freeze chain folder, those work the best. Chaining grass is possible, but since it has more room for the enemy to dodge not recommended for early players.
:pcgaming: DRAGON SKY GX IS THE BEST CARD IN THE GAME AFTER MILLIKICK :pcgaming:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Mayor McCheese posted:

Any tips for its sequel? I'm revisiting some of my older games that I never finished and this is one that is on my list.

edit for engrish

For swords, Charge-charge-charge-cleave.

Do this early, do this often. Trust me.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Gonna do a second run of The Witcher, this time with Full Combat Rebalance installed. I know some people around these parts have tips, because I've seen them before. Help me out. Any essential skills I should pick up? Things I should do in general? On my regular run through I used tons of potions but absolutely zero oils. I should do that now, right? That's all I really know.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008
Anything I should know about Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

You seem to die in about half a second which is kind of annoying so far and while there's absolutely poo poo tons (up to now anyway) of different routes through an area, I invariably find them from the wrong way, having already killed everyone I could have avoided.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

ydaetskcoR posted:

Anything I should know about Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

You seem to die in about half a second which is kind of annoying so far and while there's absolutely poo poo tons (up to now anyway) of different routes through an area, I invariably find them from the wrong way, having already killed everyone I could have avoided.

The silenced 9mm turns into a doomsday weapon once you bolt on the armor-piercing upgrade in your apartment stash. If the first headshot doesn't kill, the second will.

To disarm mines, you must crouch-walk up to them. Just crouching is too fast and will trigger the sensors.

Get wallpunching and the CASIE aug early.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

scamtank posted:

Be careful with the wallpunching aug if you're going for a pacifist run, as it will always result in a lethal takedown if there's anyone on the other side of the wall.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Don't bother getting the Typhoon in order to cheese the bosses, they're easy enough anyway with these tips, coming from a stealthy player who isn't good at shooters. If you're the sort of person who loves finding a boss' weaknesses and beating them then ignore my tips, but if you just want to get past them and back to sneaking, they should help.

Boss 1 - There are explosive and poison gas barrels scattered around the place, pick them up and throw them at him until he's dead. He's not very quick and loses sight of you easily. EMP grenades stun him and give you time to get behind him or grab a barrel and throw it but they're not essential.

Boss 2 - Make sure you have a stungun and some ammo (you should anyway because it's an immensely useful weapon), when the boss rushes you, which you'll be warned about beforehand, stungun them and unload whatever guns you have into them until they die. The fight is a total joke this way. I bet you could stunlock them and just stungun them to death but I lacked to ammo to try this. EMP Shielding helps but isn't essential if you can time your jumps.

Boss 3 - Totally predictable, the room is a big rectangle, run around the outside and take cover. They'll come after you, shoot them when you see them until they fire grenades to flush you out. Then you run round to the opposite corner and they will always follow you round, start shooting again and repeat until they die.

These are not the only ways to cheese them, far from it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

How to beat the 3rd boss in 5 seconds:

There's a bug in the game when he does his jump animation. When the fight begins immediately put a wall between the two of you. He'll jump over it. As soon as he lands do a non-lethal takeout.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

al-azad posted:

non-lethal takeout

I now have the mental image of Jensen knocking out a bunch of enemies using Chinese food.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011

scamtank posted:

The silenced 9mm turns into a doomsday weapon once you bolt on the armor-piercing upgrade in your apartment stash. If the first headshot doesn't kill, the second will.

To disarm mines, you must crouch-walk up to them. Just crouching is too fast and will trigger the sensors.

The CASIE aug is pretty useless, you'll only be using it a handful of times throughout the game, and if you're paying attention at all the social battles should be easy. Even if you make a mistake, you can just reload.

Get the jump and landing augs instead, you're going to be going up and down a lot if you aren't just powering through the game. Also, raise hacking a bit, you'll miss out on a lot of stuff if you don't have at least level 3-4 with some stealth. Fortify and analyze are useless though, don't get them

e: use the map

Zotwoz fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 11, 2012

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Zotwoz posted:

The CASIE aug is pretty useless, you'll only be using it a handful of times throughout the game, and if you're paying attention at all the social battles should be easy. Even if you make a mistake, you can just reload.

It's worth mentioning that CASIE not only makes social battles easier, it also enables social battles in a few spots where you previously couldn't; for example, the ex-cop in Detroit #1. Still, at 2 praxis, it's a tough choice.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I would like to play Rage and could get it on either Xbox 360 or PC.

My PC is not up to spec for recent games, though CanIRunIt.com says that it'd work fine - I have an Nvidia 9800GT graphics card, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 and 4gb of RAM. Will I be better off just playing it on the 360 or is there any benefit to playing it on a PC with that spec instead?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I would like to play Rage and could get it on either Xbox 360 or PC.

My PC is not up to spec for recent games, though CanIRunIt.com says that it'd work fine - I have an Nvidia 9800GT graphics card, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 and 4gb of RAM. Will I be better off just playing it on the 360 or is there any benefit to playing it on a PC with that spec instead?

At launch RAGE has issues with some graphics cards.

I'm playing it on a faster computer than yours and some of the textures still have issues.

If you want a flawless experience, you'd be better off playing it on the 360. Guaranteed to run at 60fps without graphics card problems, then.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Speaking of Rage, did I gently caress up my character by not buying rockets for my car when I had the chance? I bought the minigun and some engine upgrades and now I only have 15 racing flags, and the rockets cost 20. I've beaten all the races in Wellspring in the first two events that don't need rockets, but now I can't unlock the third event because the only races left need rockets, and I don't have any and can't race to win enough racing flags. Am I missing something here? Are there more races somewhere that I can do to get the flags?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Astfgl posted:

Speaking of Rage, did I gently caress up my character by not buying rockets for my car when I had the chance? I bought the minigun and some engine upgrades and now I only have 15 racing flags, and the rockets cost 20. I've beaten all the races in Wellspring in the first two events that don't need rockets, but now I can't unlock the third event because the only races left need rockets, and I don't have any and can't race to win enough racing flags. Am I missing something here? Are there more races somewhere that I can do to get the flags?

Are you sure you've done all the races? Keep in mind you can scroll down on the race selection screen

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Astfgl posted:

Talk to the bartender in town. She'll give you racing certificates for taking out bandit cars in the wastes.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Metal Meltdown posted:

Talk to the bartender in town. She'll give you racing certificates for taking out bandit cars in the wastes.

Thanks. I just needed five more flags to grab the rockets and that was exactly what she gave me.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

I found a copy of Sakura Wars: So Long My Love for cheap a while back, and I think it's about time I put some time into it. Is there anything I should know, particularly permanently missable stuff.

-The most missable things are the pictures of the various girls you can buy from two of the shops. They're only available during certain free times, and if you get all of a set in a run, you get a bonus picture. It's best to concentrate on one set per playthrough. You need to play a New Game+ for the sixth character ending anyway and some other unlocks, if you're interested in that sort of stuff.

-Stats in battle are determined by how nice you are to the girls, so be as nice to them as possible. I believe Shinjiro's stats are determined/affected by how nice you are to those two non-playable girls at the theater.

-Joint attacks are the best way to deal damage, even if they do use up your special bar.

-Save points are pretty scattered and random, so the best advice I can give is when loading it up to play to always believe you won't get to save for another hour.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

al-azad posted:

How to beat the 3rd boss in 5 seconds:

There's a bug in the game when he does his jump animation. When the fight begins immediately put a wall between the two of you. He'll jump over it. As soon as he lands do a non-lethal takeout.

This doesn't work anymore. If you try to do any takedowns, you get Typhooned, which will probably result in instadeath.

e: Turns out my timing is just really terrible. It's still possible.

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 8, 2012

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Colon V posted:

Am I somehow a multiplayer god at Space Marine, or does everyone online just suck? I keep topping the score charts with the basic Heavy Bolter set-up, and even with just the regular Bolter, my only weakness is that I'm kinda crap at melee.

One thing I think we should all know about the multiplayer is that a lot of the people playing have tunnel vision, or simply do not give a poo poo about winning and are trying to grind out their achievements and poo poo. If you play space marine multiplayer long enough you may get into this mindset.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

A Reddit user recently started a wiki somewhat similar to ours, but for PC games, and related specifically to recommended mods and tweaks:

http://www.pcgamingwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

From the main page:

quote:

Our goal is to fix every single PC game, with a single page for all information about :
Performance issues and fixes
Optimisations, cfgs and hacks
Cutscene and video skipping
Save game locations and syncing
Bugs, workarounds and fan patches
Alt-tab and fullscreen windowed mode

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Any tips for Disgaea 4?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I heard there was a work-around for Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer on PC. I tried searching but there's an awful lot of results that are just piracy cracks.

What I'm finding annoying is the 18 player cap and the ridiculously long time to not only find a match but the intermissions too.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Bouchacha posted:

I heard there was a work-around for Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer on PC. I tried searching but there's an awful lot of results that are just piracy cracks.

What I'm finding annoying is the 18 player cap and the ridiculously long time to not only find a match but the intermissions too.

AlterIWNet? Imagine a noscope Intervention lobby where you get banned for shooting the wrong guy, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

scamtank posted:

AlterIWNet? Imagine a noscope Intervention lobby where you get banned for shooting the wrong guy, forever.

Be very very careful about using the latest AlterIWNet stuff- The lead coder had a hissyfit when another "mod" team beat them to making a MW3 offline loader and has the ability and motive to hijack your connection while playing. He DDoS'd the competition without player's knowledge.

e. AlterIWNet is awesome for playing LAN games. It's amazing how tense maps can get if you stick to 4v4.