Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Kekekela posted:

I should also have mentioned I'm talking no-gi here...the cross collar is gi-only right?

Oh sorry, for whatever reason I was assuming you were talking about gi.

In no gi you still have the same options(americana, arm bar, step over to a triangle). Without attacking the collar choke you can set up and finish those submissions, but without looking for the collar choke they're much harder to get. It's not wrong to look for the mount in this situation but I(and a lot of other people) would much rather have the back or even side control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Kekekela posted:

I should also have mentioned I'm talking no-gi here...the cross collar is gi-only right?
Yes cross collar is gi only.

For no gi, learn the mounted juji gatame/armbar. Then learn the mounted arm triangle/kata gatame. Then learn the mounted triangle.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Cool, thanks guys, I'll check those out.

dokomoy posted:

Oh sorry, for whatever reason I was assuming you were talking about gi.
Yeah sorry, I spaced out and forgot to specify.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Yuns posted:

Yes cross collar is gi only.

For no gi, learn the mounted juji gatame/armbar. Then learn the mounted arm triangle/kata gatame. Then learn the mounted triangle.

These. And often guys will try to stiff arm your hips while they bridge/buck. It's never too early to learn how to darce choke.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
You can also forearm choke people from mount in no-gi.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

origami posted:

You can also forearm choke people from mount in no-gi.

That would be a strangle, not a choke. The key difference being strangles are generally legal but dick moves, so are fine when competing, but not something you'd want to do in practice.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 12, 2012

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

Kekekela posted:

BJJ White belt here...I'm finding when I get to mount my submission arsenal looks something like this:

1. Americana
end of list

cross choke, ezekiel and armbars for me. Americana was my first sub and my only one from mount for quite a while, I had to drill the transition to seated armbar position A TON before I could start pulling it off live, but now I collect arms like crazy.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
If you aren't comfortable with armbars from the mount yet you can always just take their extended panic arm and make it part of an arm triangle.

Or just do The Roger and repeatedly slam them into the mat until the concussion raises their chin high enough for you to finish the choke. (Don't do this at training)

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 12, 2012

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
So, I've exclusively trained muay thai so my punching is noticeably lacking. I'm trying to remedy this, my jab especially seems to be quite.. tame (my cross is fine, though, and I think my hook/uppercut are acceptable.) Anyone have any tips for some jab drills other than moving around a bag just throwing jabs over.and.over?

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
I think it helps to practice it without a bag too. It's easier to focus on getting full extension and pulling it back quickly. Some people get used to pushing with their jab if they use the bag too much.

Other than that, throw jabs over and over.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ligur posted:

Dirty boxing man. You clinch and throw uppercuts, hooks and elbows.

Nick Diaz has a different style but is a good boxer. You can watch him go in the MMA ring and see how he uses it for volume punching (except against Condit who preferred to go away instead of using his head as a speedbag.)

edit: more or less unrelated but if this won't make you go to the gym after a hard day... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSedc1w6d8s&feature=related

drat, that video's pretty motivational. : D

Wish I saw it before I skipped out on JKD practice today. :v:

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glq5u4ROXbQ&list=PL566240AAD1B6F468&index=1&feature=plcp

drat there are some sweet throws in this!

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
I really need to improve my weight management skills if I want to make competing a regular thing. Wanted to do a tournament next month, but thanks to :420: and poor impulse control I'm like 20 pounds overweight with just a couple weeks left lol. Oh well, there will always be more I guess

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
I'm thinking, for next season, about attending to an aikido class. I just love this martial art, visually, and i'm really interested in what it seems to bring in terms of relationships with others and with one's self.

Thing is, i'm already practicing kung fu ; do you think it is possible to learn two martial arts at the same time ? I can do it timewise, and the classes don't take place the same days, but i don't know if it's a good idea...

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Ugrok posted:

I'm thinking, for next season, about attending to an aikido class. I just love this martial art, visually, and i'm really interested in what it seems to bring in terms of relationships with others and with one's self.

Thing is, i'm already practicing kung fu ; do you think it is possible to learn two martial arts at the same time ? I can do it timewise, and the classes don't take place the same days, but i don't know if it's a good idea...

Be prepared to do twice as much work. If you want to do 2 martial arts successfully, you're going to be spending a lot of time just on the basics.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ridleys Revenge posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glq5u4ROXbQ&list=PL566240AAD1B6F468&index=1&feature=plcp

drat there are some sweet throws in this!

Yeah, this is a pretty sick highlight reel. And drat, this is only a D-Level tournament.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Ugrok posted:

Many of the people in this thread do two or more martial arts, the only downside is that we don't have social lives.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
2nd ever competition trip report :

Awful!

Wow I sucked. I only had 2 fight scheduled and lost both of them. I felt like utter poo poo and had to puke between the two fights for some reason and I still feel sick 7 hours later.

Still, I pulled some sick armbar, but I did it randori style and didn't break the guys arm off so he managed to handle it until the bell rang. I also did 2 very nice sweeps (elevator and scissor) but somehow wasn't able to keep the guy from turtling while I was going to mount.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Anyone got any cool/interesting BJJ videos? Youtube just gives me decade old instructional videos or weird interviews.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Just typing "BJJ" into youtube won't get you far. It's better to search for specific things you're interested in like passing guard or "X technique from Y position"

Here's some jiu-jitsu heritage for you;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1RurfbNu6g

Remember, armbaring huge dudes at the beach to get laid is the primary focus of jiu-jitsu.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

rhazes posted:

So, I've exclusively trained muay thai so my punching is noticeably lacking. I'm trying to remedy this, my jab especially seems to be quite.. tame (my cross is fine, though, and I think my hook/uppercut are acceptable.) Anyone have any tips for some jab drills other than moving around a bag just throwing jabs over.and.over?

Does your gym have a double end bag? Do single, double, and triple jab combinations, with emphasis on tracking the bag with your eyes. At the end of each combo, don't just stop -- do something that would be intelligent in a real fight.

Experiment with how much you step in with each jab, and whether the step starts before or after the initial twitch of the jab hand. e: you want to start standing just outside range, so that you have to step in a tiny bit to reach the bag.
Experiment with how squared up your torso is, and how much you turn over the jab (where is your elbow pointing at full extension?).

Pay attention to your guard. After some combos, instead of slipping, sidestepping, or retreating, stay there. If the double end bag flies back and smacks you in the face, you're not getting your guard back together in time. The point of mixing up the number of jabs is to keep yourself honest about resetting your guard. You don't want your double or triple jabs to get sloppy to the point where your opponent can throw a cross over the top of your not-returning jab hand and nail you.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 13, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Here is Andre Galvao getting upset with some guy in a competition, and going out of his way to embarass him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvOTEz7-8E

edit: and here is the best sweep in human history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJT_PgVgPY

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 13, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Here is Andre Galvao getting upset with some guy in a competition, and going out of his way to embarass him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvOTEz7-8E

edit: and here is the best sweep in human history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJT_PgVgPY
I believe the dude kept reaping the knee?

That Ryan Hall sweep is boss. I got to say hi to him at last year's ADCC and specifically mentioned how it's basically on at a loop back home. He looked somewhat amused.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It is rare too such level of dominance in Black Belt level BJJ match. The secret to this is that Andre Galvao's opponent was not Black Belt in BJJ. He was a BB in some generic martial art and he thought his belt was equivalent to BJJ's Black Belt. Apparently it was not as he had thought.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Do you have the name of the other guy? I'd be interested to read about it. But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he was a legitimate BJJ black belt. There's a huge level of skill between the best and worst black belts, I know that my own coach, who is a legitimate black belt in BJJ but not very competitive, would probably get steamrolled this hard if you put him against someone at Galvao's level.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
Martin Suarez

He trains at this place: http://www.yudanshafight.org/

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Beautiful fight...! Love it when a foreigner moves so much like a thai...
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z95oLaR36DM&feature=youtu.be
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evc3JnGZ8PU&feature=related

edit: Also, forgot to mention a funny little cultural thing I learned a few weeks ago. Slip and Roll in Germany is called 'Mike Bewegung' or you can use the verb form 'miken', z.B. ich mike, du mikest, wir miken. Literally translated it means Mike movement, named after Mike Tyson.

I mike'd the jab

Guilty fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 13, 2012

Ibsen
Jun 20, 2006
I am Not.
This is a lame question, but do chicks dig guys who do bjj? I mean, have you heard that specifically?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ibsen posted:

This is a lame question, but do chicks dig guys who do bjj? I mean, have you heard that specifically?

Not to be a dick, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't going to be an answer to this question that universally applies to all straight females (I'm assuming you're a straight dude). And no, I have never heard that specifically at all.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is how I assume it's perceived:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdT-kerHac

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Guilty posted:

Part 1:
Part 2:

edit: Also, forgot to mention a funny little cultural thing I learned a few weeks ago. Slip and Roll in Germany is called 'Mike Bewegung' or you can use the verb form 'miken', z.B. ich mike, du mikest, wir miken. Literally translated it means Mike movement, named after Mike Tyson.

I mike'd the jab

Where they from the same gym they were doing the same Ram Muay??

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

nemoulette posted:

Judo is brilliant and I love being ragdolled around like a loving child but MAN do they suck at newaza. I'm a lowly BJJ white belt yet managed to tap a few black belts in class. I try to have the most humble attitude ever about it as I didn't sign to go "haha we're better on the ground than you are", since I actually want to learn judo. But man.

Judo is all about the throw, and the newaza is just there for cinching up a failed throw, which should have given you the position. Most Judoka I've gone against will either keep hold of an arm or something and try to break it or work on breaking a turtle. Most BJJ isn't really thatt applicable.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Ibsen posted:

No because if they put their legs on your shoulders while you gently caress you'll instinctively freak out about the impending submission attempt, pass their guard and move to side control. It really kills the mood.

Chicks hate side control. All of them.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
e: nm

Polyrhythmic Panda fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 14, 2012

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

Judo is all about the throw, and the newaza is just there for cinching up a failed throw, which should have given you the position. Most Judoka I've gone against will either keep hold of an arm or something and try to break it or work on breaking a turtle. Most BJJ isn't really thatt applicable.

It's quite a leap to go from

Most Judoka have limited ground game -> BJJ is mostly not applicable in Judo

While the rules in Judo certainly limit what happens on the ground compared to BJJ or other grappling sports, it doesn't suddenly invalidate the things you learn in those other sports/MAs. Plenty of wrestlers do Judo as well, and it's very obvious that their wrestling background helps out immensely. Many good Judo players also cross train in BJJ if they have the chance, because what is learned in the other art IS very applicable. Things that are learned in BJJ that are very, very helpful for sport Judo.

-Passing guard (Passing half guard is an especially helpful thing in Judo, as often a non-ippon throw will end with the beginning of newaza, and the person who got thrown often has half guard)
-not getting passed
-sweeps
-arm bars and collar chokes, and avoiding these things
-turnovers

While these things are not as commonly seen as in Judo compared to a BJJ match, being competent on the ground in Judo can often be the difference between winning and losing, especially at lower levels (which means for all of us, because AFAIK we don't have anyone here who has competed internationally in Judo).

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

NovemberMike posted:

You mean sports judo is all about the throw. Kosen judo is 50/50 standing/ground.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I haven't competed internationally, but I have competed in numerous D and E level tournaments (as well as tournaments big but non scoring tournaments like the Am-Cans and Tohkon) that have a lot of international level guys there. And based on my conversations with them I'd say at least 90% of them are at least blue belts in BJJ if not higher. On the other side, a high percentage of the BJJ black belts I've met are also Judo black belts. My personal opinion is that 90% of the differences between Judo and BJJ are in scoring, not technique. So competitors in either art can gain a lot by crosstraining.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

You mean sports judo is all about the throw. Kosen judo is 50/50 standing/ground.

Kosen Judo is still the same art as Olympic Judo, Kosen Judo clubs just focus much more on matwork and are basically halfway between most what most Judo clubs do and what most BJJ clubs do.

Personally I try to keep my classes about 2/3 standup and 1/3 matwork. To me that is the best way to split up Judo.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Guilty posted:

Part 1:
Part 2:

I mike'd the jab

Meidbewegung; meiden; ich meide; du meidest; wir meiden.

Someone is playing tricks on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Ibsen posted:

It's a sport where you wear a bathrobe while trying to dominate another man with your hips and submit him against his will.

What babe would not be turned on by that?

• Locked thread