Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Those ~35 levels of faith or intelligence get you access to spells primarily with a bonus of weapon options that are the best vs certain enemies.

The 2 enemies in the game that are hurt slightly more by magic than Lightning and Fire, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I had no problem with the Iron Golem in my first go-around, but I'm having all sorts of embarrassing problems with him in NG+. Maybe I should see a doctor... :ohdear:

e: whoa I just did something to stun him! He reeled around and I was able to shave off the last third of his life without fear!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 18, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This game feels really huge, much bigger than Demon Souls, and I've only gotten as far as Anor Londo/Painted World. I keep hearing about all these higher level areas, is there much more to discover?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

notZaar posted:

This game feels really huge, much bigger than Demon Souls, and I've only gotten as far as Anor Londo/Painted World. I keep hearing about all these higher level areas, is there much more to discover?

Yes! You have so much to look forward to. :D

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
How do I get Griggs to sell me stuff? Does my int have to be a certain level? I really hope not, I was hoping to just get all the sorceries and miracles on my melee dude.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lord of Laughton posted:

How do I get Griggs to sell me stuff? Does my int have to be a certain level? I really hope not, I was hoping to just get all the sorceries and miracles on my melee dude.

Griggs requires 10 intelligence. Big Hat 12 or 14.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Wildtortilla posted:

I had no problem with the Iron Golem in my first go-around, but I'm having all sorts of embarrassing problems with him in NG+. Maybe I should see a doctor... :ohdear:

e: whoa I just did something to stun him! He reeled around and I was able to shave off the last third of his life without fear!

Reeled around? You mean he did something out of the ordinary or you got to NG+ without ever knocking over the IG?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Category Fun! posted:

Reeled around? You mean he did something out of the ordinary or you got to NG+ without ever knocking over the IG?

Iron Golem has a poise bar and if you wail on him hard enough he will stagger.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Does Logan need to be next to him for him to sell? I definitely have that much INT but he just keeps praying that I don't go hollow. Last game I saved Logan first, then Griggs, and he wouldn't sell to me all game, if that makes a difference.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Category Fun! posted:

He just stood still and it was sort of like this.

I don't remember these anor londo archers respawning!!!!!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 18, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Lord of Laughton posted:

Does Logan need to be next to him for him to sell? I definitely have that much INT but he just keeps praying that I don't go hollow. Last game I saved Logan first, then Griggs, and he wouldn't sell to me all game, if that makes a difference.

Did you burn through all his dialogue and accidentally click "no" when he asked you if you were interested in sorcery?

I'm not sure it matters, achievement wise. Logan sells everything he does, you just won't be able to get dupes of them for extra castings.

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't remember these anor londo archers respawning!!!!!

That's because you should never have to deal with them more than once. :colbert:

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Iron Golem has a poise bar and if you wail on him hard enough he will stagger.

Oh, that's pretty cool, I never hit him enough to do that.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's cool cause instead of just staggering, he takes like a 5-minute break and lets you wail on him the whole time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

I had 14, big hat needed 15 to sell to me.

Also Oolicile catalyst is non-scaling so if you have low int it's the best one if you want to use some of the sorceries.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bonus posted:

It's cool cause instead of just staggering, he takes like a 5-minute break and lets you wail on him the whole time.

I managed to get him to stagger backwards right through a gap in the wall on one of my playthroughs. I was using a zwei, I think, so I essentially one or two shot the IG.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Chard posted:

I managed to get him to stagger backwards right through a gap in the wall on one of my playthroughs. I was using a zwei, I think, so I essentially one or two shot the IG.

He also can jump off the bridge/tower. The first time I fought him I didn't stagger him because I wasn't just wailing on his legs (doing hit and run), so when I got that event with my second character it was a very :darksouls: moment.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Those ~35 levels of faith or intelligence get you access to spells primarily with a bonus of weapon options that are the best vs certain enemies.

IF you choose to use Faith or Int scaling weapons, you get to use their respective sorcery/miracles, but you could just use Pyromancy for no stat investment outside of attunement while having far higher end/vit and equivalent if not higher weapon damage.

I'm not saying it's dumb/bad to use scaling weapons or use sorcery over pyromancy or something, I'm just saying they poorly balanced the two low stat investment things they put in. Pyromancy and elemental weapons. In DeS the Dragon weapons were powerful for low level characters w/o many stats, but after you got some scaling weapons and invested some points they were crap, which is how it should be :V.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Dragon wasn't crap, per se, it could get you through the game with a couple exceptions.

It just wasn't a sharp uchi or BBS or crushing greataxe or anything.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Demon Souls balanced some other stuff poorly too though. Sorcery could do EVERYTHING - don't put points in VIT for health or END for better armor, just use warding. Don't put points in your main attack stat - just enchant your weapon. Or if you want pump INT (which gave you damage and spell slots at the same time) and use an int scaling weapon. Also your casts are based on mana, carry mana regen potions and spam firestorm.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Does poison resist help against toxic? I'm trying to farm the baby skeletons, but they keep giving me the clap. Also, the drop rate doesn't seem as amazing as I'd heard, even with the covetous gold ring, but I haven't been there all that long.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Bobnumerotres posted:

The 2 enemies in the game that are hurt slightly more by magic than Lightning and Fire, got it.

Skeletons, giant skeletons, wheel skeletons, bone towers, skeleton beasts, black knights, giant sentinels, fire statues, Ceaseless Discharge, Centipede Demon. There's probably more, especially if you have invested in the secondary scaling stats or don't have 10 humanity on you. Giant sentinels take around double the damage from my occult longsword over chaos or lightning for example.

edit: Titanite demons and golems too.
edit2: Mini capras, mini taurus', cragspiders, chaos eaters, rockworms.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 18, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is it reasonable to see every NPC's storyline to their conclusion the first time through the game or do some of them collide with one another/difficulty's too high/etc?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
You can do it. Sieg has some timing that can affect his ending, I think, but even his 'bad end' is.. really good.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Holy gently caress the Channeler's Trident must be the rarest drop in the game.

M6thrXeat
Feb 18, 2012

I bet if that puck was a hamburger you'd stop it!
I just recently started playing Dark Souls again, decided to continue a current character near SL 120. In NG+ at first bonfire in Tomb of the Giants and used to always bank on Moonlight Shield getting me past skeleton dogs. Now that its nerfed and my characters only effective weapon is a +5 muramasa 2h only, these skeleton dogs are DESTROYING me whenever try closing in on them.

Appreciate any tips someone could give me.
(also have a +15 pyro glove but haven't found an effective use for that with this enemy.)

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Less Fat Luke posted:

Holy gently caress the Channeler's Trident must be the rarest drop in the game.

Really? I just got it as a matter of course. Is it good for anything?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

cgeq posted:

Really? I just got it as a matter of course. Is it good for anything?

It's good for dancing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

M6thrXeat posted:

I just recently started playing Dark Souls again, decided to continue a current character near SL 120. In NG+ at first bonfire in Tomb of the Giants and used to always bank on Moonlight Shield getting me past skeleton dogs. Now that its nerfed and my characters only effective weapon is a +5 muramasa 2h only, these skeleton dogs are DESTROYING me whenever try closing in on them.

(also have a +15 pyro glove but haven't found an effective use for that with this enemy.)
You can chaos fireball the dogs if they are in the edge of your vision without them seeing you first, the follow up burn gives you enough time to run in and smack them

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

i am tim! posted:

It's good for dancing.
Plus it's a rare weapon for the achievements. Anyways finally got it, now I can dance like a retard when white phantoming!

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I just got this game. Is there any way to rebind controls? RB for attack is about the most unintuitive bullshit control design ever.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
If I bottomless boxed a new character some poo poo from a game in which I killed Ingward, am I hosed if I didn't send over the key to new londo ruins?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

jonjonaug posted:

I just got this game. Is there any way to rebind controls? RB for attack is about the most unintuitive bullshit control design ever.

Nope.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

jonjonaug posted:

If you're that incredulous over such a small thing like that, perhaps this isn't the game for you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

First 10 Minutes: This is the dumbest control system ever.
Every single second after you block into a roll then slash things: Thank you Dark Souls, I don't have to contort my hands to be a badass.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Made a new char today, Smough-gimmick char. Just finished up Anor Londo, game is laughably fast once you've gone through it enough :>. I should probably go do the Depths some time but :effort:. At 25/25 Vit and End, 40 Str and base everything else. Not sure if I wanna bother with 58 Str to 1-Hand Smough's Hammer or not though ):.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

New Game+ is making feel about as competent as I did when I first picked the game up. I keep making the most ridiculous mistakes and getting killed for it.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
Is anyone on XBox available to help with Lord Gwyn? My word does he hit hard. I'm SL 70.

edit: Nevermind, I kilt him! That was a fun fight. Stamina management is really really important.

Mr. Pither fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 19, 2012

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Read posted:

Made a new char today, Smough-gimmick char. Just finished up Anor Londo, game is laughably fast once you've gone through it enough :>. I should probably go do the Depths some time but :effort:. At 25/25 Vit and End, 40 Str and base everything else. Not sure if I wanna bother with 58 Str to 1-Hand Smough's Hammer or not though ):.

It's not worth it and Smough two-hands it himself if you're going for authenticity.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

M6thrXeat posted:

If you have nothing that one shots them you need a very high stability shield to block their attacks until they do their spaz-out and fall down attack, then smack em as much as you can and back up when they're up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

jonjonaug posted:

It makes perfect sense if you keep in mind that the previous Souls game was made for PS3. It's totally fine once you get used to it.

• Locked thread