Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brosnan posted:

Why the gently caress would you want Ono to make a Darkstalkers game?

because the old ones still exist for purists and I would be happier with something than nothing. I'm ok with it being sf4 with a few new mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Darkstalkers is the pinnacle of 2D animation in fighting games and I really don't trust them to pull off anything nearly as cool in the SF4 engine.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Darkstalkers is the pinnacle of 2D animation in fighting games and I really don't trust them to pull off anything nearly as cool in the SF4 engine.

I see what you mean, no one these days will put the effort to draw sprites that good looking. Its all gonna be 3D of course. I'm just saying that this is the only way it will be made. We are lucky that capcom is so invested in fighting games these days.

Very successful fighting games rarely do as well as other genres. sf4 only sold half of resident evil 5, but someone in capcom is still pushing for more fighting games.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 4, 2012

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Capcom isn't going to make anymore sprite fighters.

Like or not nobody gives a poo poo about this series anymore outside of Morrigan/Felicia/Hsien Ko and this will actually make people play it again.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

SpaceBees posted:

Like or not nobody gives a poo poo about this series anymore outside of Morrigan/Felicia/Hsien Ko and this will actually make people play it again.

Yeah, at this point without a new game the only thing the Franchise is worth is having Morrigan doing Cameos in everything.

Darkstalkers needs a comeback so Sasquatch can hit the prime time again.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

because the old ones still exist for purists and I would be happier with something than nothing. I'm ok with it being sf4 with a few new mechanics.

You're in for a treat because I'm pretty sure this is exactly what we're gonna get.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jmcrofts posted:

You're in for a treat because I'm pretty sure this is exactly what we're gonna get.

That's all SFxTekken is, but but it's well received so far. They even kept most of the frame data

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ono at the very least is really enthusiastic about Darkstalkers, and that is genuine. Every con or event he goes to he always polls for Darkstalkers interest.

When I met him a few years ago at Fan Expo I mentioned Darkstalkers and his face lit up, he doesn't understand much English but he definitely knows that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SpaceBees posted:

Capcom isn't going to make anymore sprite fighters.

If "play it again" means "playing SF4+: Darkstalkers Reskin" then I'd rather it stayed dead.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
If you think the new Darkstalkers is going to "play like SF4" try looking through your post history to see whether you said that SFxT is a competitively unplayable copy of SF4 with overpowered gems and broken comeback mechanics, the results may be informative.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
My post was not saying one way or another that the game was going to be good, only that it's the only way people will actually play Darkstalkers in 2012 onward.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Exactly. A Street Fighter 4 version of Darkstalkers is one of the blandest things I can think of. And the likelihood of that is loving huge. That's not even counting whatever ridiculously short sighted mechanic they'll shove into it either, I'm just talking about base gameplay speed here.

Imagine Sas doing short hop mixups at 1/3 the speed. Forever :pcgaming:

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Fauxtool posted:

Right, they totally should just make some piece of crap sequel and not actually make something cool and fun to play. Hey, if you're ok with sf4, guess what, you already have something! its called Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Right, they totally should just make some piece of crap sequel and not actually make something cool and fun to play. Hey, if you're ok with sf4, guess what, you already have something! its called Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition!
Not even close. Adding a few new mechanics makes a game completely different. You seem to be few posts behind us. No one is defending it as a good game. We know it will be awful, but I will buy it because I love fighting games.

Starcraft 1 is undeniably better but only the spergiest goonlords are still playing. Your idealized version of darkstalkers will always exist and most people will continue to not play it

A new game is good for the scene because capcom is a big company that won't release a terrible game, just a bad one

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 4, 2012

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I loved Vampire Ryu and Werewolf Ruby Heart (I know he came first), but my all-time favorite Darkstalker is Donovan. :smith:
I love making a sword fly around with a face on it and playing some sort of Indian version of Marvel's Blade.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Someone needs to make a "DS4 Bingo" in a similar vein to the MvC3 bingo that got made.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Fauxtool posted:

Starcraft 1 is undeniably better but only the spergiest goonlords are still playing. Your idealized version of darkstalkers will always exist and most people will continue to not play it

I don't like this way of thinking about competitive video games.

You take competitive board games, and even though they're a niche thing, games like Chess and Go have stayed pretty much the same over centuries. Unlike video games, if some publisher shits out Chess 2.0 where every piece is a pawn and you have to stick six of them up your nose to win the game, they just go back and play the good game.

Nobody does this with video games. Street Fighter V could be a MapleStory clone and people would still play that poo poo competitively because it's newer, has Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Chun-Li, and Zangief in it, and adds one more game mechanic where you can mash buttons/pay/grind to win.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 4, 2012

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

I'm ok with it being sf4 with a few new mechanics.

Then you pretty much don't like Darkstalkers and your opinions on what should be in the next one kind of don't matter?

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Cmon if Ono makes a ton of new fighting games at least one of them should be good right?

Right?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Kuai posted:

Cmon if Ono makes a ton of new fighting games at least one of them should be good right?

Right?

Super Turbo exists. So does MvC2. Did he make those?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Dizz posted:

Super Turbo exists. So does MvC2. Did he make those?

His entire fighting game history is pretty much just Third Strike, SF4, and SFxT I think.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

His entire fighting game history is pretty much just Third Strike, SF4, and SFxT I think.

Ono definitely did not work on 3s.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brosnan posted:

Then you pretty much don't like Darkstalkers and your opinions on what should be in the next one kind of don't matter?

Nope I dont like darkstalkers the game, but I like the art direction and the characters.
My opinion does matter because I am a consumer. I am excited to see what direction they take the franchise good or bad.

I dont have to be wrong for you to be right, its a forum, for discussion.

I wonder who else is on the fighting game dev team? I wonder if they kept any talent from the earlier SF games. Ono is to blame for everything, but there are other people working on the games too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ono has worked on the home versions of a bunch of Capcom fighting games as an audio director/programmer, most notably the Dreamcast versions of SF3 and the original MvC, but also older stuff like Alpha and various home versions of SF2. He's had random direction/production roles on other games like Devil May Cry and Onimusha, but he's never done any design work, as far as I can tell - he was was one of the producers on Capcom Fighting Jam and he's been a producer ever since.(He also wrote the soundtrack to the Megaman kart racer, apparently.)

Dimps, the company that did the gruntwork for SF4 and SFxTK, has a legitimate fighting game pedigree - head guy Takashi Nishiyama worked on the original SF then jumped ship to SNK where he directed, planned and/or produced a ton of their series including Fatal Fury, KOF and Samurai Shodown, and eventually left to form Dimps with a bunch of ex-SNK/Capcom guys.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 4, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ultima66 posted:

Ono definitely did not work on 3s.

Didn't he do music for it?

Dimps, the company that did the gruntwork for SF4 and SFxTK, has a legitimate fighting game pedigree - head guy Takashi Nishiyama worked on the original SF then jumped ship to SNK where he directed, planned and/or produced a ton of their series including Fatal Fury, KOF and Samurai Shodown, and eventually left to form Dimps with a bunch of ex-SNK/Capcom guys.

DIMPS also made some DBZ fighters and The Rumblefish series before they made SF4 on top of that

The huge problem is there's almost no real way of telling who did the design aspects of SF4. Japanese game companies like to shroud who's responsible for things when they outsource talent. It could be some random guy, it could be Ono. Even when games are developed in general, Ono could be bowing his head to the guy above him. It's pretty much impossible to figure out why SF4 ticks the way it does and who made it that way.

Pretty much the only confirmation in a recent Capcom game of who designed what was that the combat designer on MvC2 was the combat designer on MvC3. I find this pretty strange because I think Mvc2 has really, really good design despite the nature of the game, and Mvc3 has pretty questionable design choices.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 4, 2012

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Fauxtool posted:

why? Are you one of those people who only likes bands that no one has heard of and hates them the second they become successful?

Ah yes one of those people who does not actually exist outside of goon strawmen

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Ah yes one of those people who does not actually exist outside of goon strawmen

I heard someone say that. I poo poo you not their words were, "I heard Yellowcard on the radio today, im not sure I should like them anymore."

There are plenty of people who stopped liking skrillex when he hit it big even though his music is no less or more lovely

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 4, 2012

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Waterbed posted:

Didn't he do music for it?

No, that was Hideki Okugawa. Ono just rapped in the intro song.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Man, I came in here expecting excitement that the long requested DS revival is rumored and people couldn't start making assumptions fast enough. Whee, everyone has already decided it will be the worst thing ever!

LOL at the guy who said " I'm excited even if it's like SF4" and someone just said "get out!!!". Can't even wait for a screenshot?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ono's been teasing about a Darkstalkers remake for months, it's not really news to anyone here except for a slight upgrade in reliability.

I'm not sure why you're talking about screenshots as if that's somehow relevant to the quality of a future Capcom fighting game compared to, you know, the trend established by their last half-dozen releases.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not sure why you're talking about screenshots as if that's somehow relevant to the quality of a future Capcom fighting game compared to, you know, the trend established by their last half-dozen releases.

I've enjoyed SF4 and MVC3 so I'm not as upset about the last 6 releases as everyone seems to be. I'll shut up now.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
A Sf4 engine darkstalkers isn't ideal but i agree with fauxtool that it's better than nothing.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
As long as the "standing on the side of a building" stage makes a return, the engine doesn't matter much to me.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The SF4 engine pretty much has nothing to do with the actual quality of the game and modifying it is probably relatively easy to suit your needs.

Like, if you change the shaders, put in good art assets and the person designing the system mechanics is smart, you can make a really good game with the SF4 engine.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
A lovely Darkstalkers really isn't better than nothing since anything Capcom releases will inevitably take attention away from better more deserving games.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

A lovely Darkstalkers really isn't better than nothing since anything Capcom releases will inevitably take attention away from better more deserving games.

on that note! P4:Arena looks really good, Skullgirls will probably be good and Under Night: Inbirth looks really solid and fun. UNIB looks really Guilty Gear in terms of gameplay, with a higher emphasis on a ground game and less insane freedom the MB series offered. P4U is like BB/MB style freedom with more hardcore GG mechanics.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I just hope they change the visual style from what SF4 and SFxT is using. I'm just so drat tired of the fat brush stroke look.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Like what?

SF, Darkstalkers, and MvC were the only Capcom FG franchises that had enough fan attention to even think about a remake.

I suppose CvSNK, but that seems even less likely now that one is firmly 3d and the other is 2d.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

Ocatamai posted:

As long as the "standing on the side of a building" stage makes a return, the engine doesn't matter much to me.

iron horse, iron terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Crackbone posted:

Like what?

SF, Darkstalkers, and MvC were the only Capcom FG franchises that had enough fan attention to even think about a remake.

I suppose CvSNK, but that seems even less likely now that one is firmly 3d and the other is 2d.

He means games not made by Capcom.

• Locked thread