Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Prathm posted:

Does any of you train this? Looks legit to me :cool:
Mark Hunt did that, sounds legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
This is the comp I'll be going in this weekend.
http://www.blitzmag.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17457

Its on in a few days so of course I totally wreck my wrist last night at Judo but I'm not pulling out again due to injury. I'm still salty due to missing my last comp. I'll be doing Sambo, but if the div is small enough I'll do the Judo too. Novice division of course.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just read the OP, and as someone who did ninjutsu for a year and half, I was just wondering if it actually was all bullshit? It was Bujinkan ninjutsu, and the guy who taught it seemed to know his stuff having also done karate, aikido, and had been in the army most of his life. The way he told it, it came over to Europe in the 80s, going to Scandinavia first, then making its way to the UK.

He wasn't doing it for the money because not many of us went, and was always eager to dispel the myths that surround it. If it was bullshit, then he'd been a victim of it just as much as I had, but it seemed just as legit, if not rarer, as other martial arts. I don't know, what's the situation?

In other news, just started Krav Maga this evening, and it was awesome fun. The guy who runs it puts a real focus on actual real life situations, mentioning the laws around self defence and how to try and stop it from escalating or a situation from even happening in the first place.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Have you trained how to grab someone's gun yet

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Did you ever do anything involving full resistance? If no then sorry, total crap.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Just read the OP, and as someone who did ninjutsu for a year and half, I was just wondering if it actually was all bullshit? It was Bujinkan ninjutsu, and the guy who taught it seemed to know his stuff having also done karate, aikido, and had been in the army most of his life. The way he told it, it came over to Europe in the 80s, going to Scandinavia first, then making its way to the UK.

He wasn't doing it for the money because not many of us went, and was always eager to dispel the myths that surround it. If it was bullshit, then he'd been a victim of it just as much as I had, but it seemed just as legit, if not rarer, as other martial arts. I don't know, what's the situation?

In other news, just started Krav Maga this evening, and it was awesome fun. The guy who runs it puts a real focus on actual real life situations, mentioning the laws around self defence and how to try and stop it from escalating or a situation from even happening in the first place.

Ninjitsu, karate and aikido are all kinda bullshit, honestly. You'll occasionally find a karate school that take what they teach seriously and spar properly, aikido only very very rarely, and I doubt there's a single ninjitsu school on the planet earth that could teach you how to actually fight.

Krav Maga can be good or bad depending on the school, most are bad, but there are some cool schools around. If you have one of the Krav schools that has the Bas Rutten affiliate program, for example, those schools might teach you how to throw a decent punch or kick.

You should really read this. It's got a section on judging Krav Maga schools, but read it all. http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88851
edit: Here's something even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=932XUCWlelQ

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 6, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Prathm posted:

Does any of you train this? Looks legit to me :cool:

e: Thumbnail doesnt work for me, direct link:

http://imgur.com/2ze2f

I do some Hapkido. Even met my girlfriend through that. It is fine as a supplemental martial art as long as it is a decent club. On the the very rare instance that I have had to use a martial art outside of practice I've used what I learned in Hapkido. But it was the awareness and comfort I'd gained from Judo that allowed me to keep my head on straight.

There are always a lot of law enforcement guys in every Hapkido club I've trained at, which makes sense because Hapkido allows for you to scale your response based on the situation. They aren't going to be throwing unruly drunks to the floor on a regular basis. But they can benefit from knowing and practicing lots of various submission holds that cause pain but don't injure.

To me the difference between Hapkido and something like Akido is that while Hapkido starts with the stupid "grab my wrist" type stuff, Hapkido progresses into much more realistic situations and more resistance as you move beyond white belt.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 6, 2012

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks man, I'll take a look at the Krav thing. And no, we never did anything ridiculous or 'cool'. It just seemed like a normal martial arts class to be honest.

mewse
May 2, 2006

i feel like i'm turning into a masochist because i'm starting to enjoy it when my boxing coach punches me in the face :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

mewse posted:

i feel like i'm turning into a masochist because i'm starting to enjoy it when my boxing coach punches me in the face :(

No no that's cool, see it's bad technique leaving your body to be replaced by better technique. A girl on the striking basic course I sometimes teach approached me after a class and asked me if I'm ok.

Apparently during drills I get punched in the forehead so much she was scared I'm not :(

But it doesn't hurt...

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Ligur posted:

No no that's cool, see it's bad technique leaving your body to be replaced by better technique.

This is great.

At the end of drills today I landed on my thumb, it got all swollen up and painful. Luckily it turns out one of the guys I was wrestling with is an A&E doctor, it's probably a sprain. I sat out the rest of the lesson. How long before I should go back? Also can I still do boxing? It doesn't use the thumb right?

VVVVV That's hilarious.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 7, 2012

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
I was lightly sparring with an older woman, who had just switched from fitness boxing to boxing. She had problems with punching another person to the face. So I decided to show there is nothing wrong with punching the face. I dropped my hands and catched few of her very light punches with my forehead, just to show that this is the region where she should be aiming. She couldn't sleep for two weeks because she was certain that she had just caused me permanent brain damage.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Got my first Judo-class tonight. Nervous.

Any last-minute advice?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Prathm posted:

Any last-minute advice?

relax and enjoy it!

Also : cut your finger and toe nails. Shower before. Basically don't be a smelly rear end in a top hat (don't be an rear end in a top hat in general)

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 7, 2012

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Prathm posted:

Any last-minute advice?

I was gonna ask the same question but about Aikido instead! Looking forward to it but have honestly no idea what to expect.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Pyle posted:

I was lightly sparring with an older woman, who had just switched from fitness boxing to boxing. She had problems with punching another person to the face. So I decided to show there is nothing wrong with punching the face. I dropped my hands and catched few of her very light punches with my forehead, just to show that this is the region where she should be aiming. She couldn't sleep for two weeks because she was certain that she had just caused me permanent brain damage.

People are weird about punching and being punched in the face. Like, they'd rather be in a car wreck than take 1 jab.

That's why I like grappling because you express your hatred for your fellow man through hugs.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

People are weird about punching and being punched in the face.

Oh most definitely. I only do very light sparring, but even then I have a hard time actually hitting a person in the head at all.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Finally getting off my lazy rear end and getting back into martial arts. I'm decent enough at gi-BJJ that I'm not a completely newb. But man, I feel quite intimated to go to my first Muay Thai class. I'm in "ok" shape. But I'm an absolute terrible boxer. I know it's mostly kicks. And I did Capoeira for 6 months years ago. But still.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Since after winning a tournament two weeks ago, my Judo has felt absolutely terrible. Just stiff and predictable, poor waza, poor conditioning. I'm flying out to California for collegiate nationals on Friday with this as my mantra though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZCKlonx78

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Prathm posted:

Any last-minute advice?

Throw fools. Choke bitches.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

Since after winning a tournament two weeks ago, my Judo has felt absolutely terrible. Just stiff and predictable, poor waza, poor conditioning. I'm flying out to California for collegiate nationals on Friday with this as my mantra though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZCKlonx78

Good luck, unless you are in a match against an Iowa State Judoka. In which case I hope your fall is gentle and without injury.

I competed in Collegiate Nationals twice and had a great time both times. I love the Texas Match system they use for assigning matches.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Tapped out my first blue belt tonight. (triangle) :dance:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Posted this in GBS, and seems they didn't take kindly to it. :/

http://www.cracked.com/article_16595_6-great-martial-arts-killing-man-with-your-bare-hands.html

The ordering don't sit right with me, but again, I don't know dick about martial arts.

edit: and yes, I realize that this is intended to be a comedy article, but still.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr Interweb posted:

Posted this in GBS, and seems they didn't take kindly to it. :/
http://www.cracked.com/article_16595_6-great-martial-arts-killing-man-with-your-bare-hands.html
The ordering don't sit right with me, but again, I don't know dick about martial arts.

edit: and yes, I realize that this is intended to be a comedy article, but still.

You're not gonna get much meaningful debate here about which MA is statistically the best for killing people. There's not enough data for really knowing.

A while back you were debating which school to go to. I asked you what your goals were for training. Did you ever sort that out?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

A while back you were debating which school to go to. I asked you what your goals were for training. Did you ever sort that out?

Oh, did you? Sorry, must have missed it. The past week or so I've gotten pre-occupied with some things, but I've decided to forgo the Chinese/American kenpo place. Will probably go with Muay Thai and Judo, but it might be at a different muay thai place than the one I mentioned earlier a few pages ago.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Pyle posted:

Older woman boxing

Other posters posted:

The horror of the LIGHT JAB

Hahahaa. I'm trying to condition the current striking class to punching by letting them punch ME a bit more than they could if I wanted to avoid it, hence the girl and her worries over my well being.

For example, I might do light sparring drills with someone, but watch the rest of the class with my other eye and hence won't see everything incoming.

The older woman in that class is very cute (is there always at least one?), she knows getting lightly jabbed in the head doesn't kill her but is so unaccustomed to it she forgets absolutely everything and just flails her hands in front of her while trying to lean back as much as possible without falling on her butt :) And that's ok for a 38 year old fitness person who has never been punched.

Then there's the other extreme...

Our boxing course for example. I don't know exactly WHY but when I'm sparring with the 6'3 230 ogres they literally try to punch the head off my shoulders and don't hold back at ALL (I'm visibly seriously smaller than them). It's really "fun" to do drills like countering a long hook with a straight with them, since the one throwing the straight usually hits. Now I have a bruised forehead. Or just open sparring, yesterday I had to go a whole round doing nothing but machinegunning fast lefts at my partner to stop him from spazzing out and trying to land massive crosses and hooks at my head. Well, he still spazzed out, but was too confused under the barrage to figure out 1) my punches were 5% power 100% speed 2) and that he could fire back and ignore all the punches that were landing, so he just covered for two minutes. I don't know what he got out of that round, but at least I still have all my teeth.

Seriously, I'm sick and tired of going over the same thing every week at one class or another: when you are drilling or sparring, you are not trying to WIN and you don't NEED TO TKO or KO ANYONE.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 8, 2012

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ligur posted:

Hahahaa. I'm trying to condition the current striking class to punching by letting them punch ME a bit more than they could if I wanted to avoid it, hence the girl and her worries over my well being.

For example, I might do light sparring drills with someone, but watch the rest of the class with my other eye and hence won't see everything incoming.

The older woman in that class is very cute (is there always at least one?), she knows getting lightly jabbed in the head doesn't kill her but is so unaccustomed to it she forgets absolutely everything and just flails her hands in front of her while trying to lean back as much as possible without falling on her butt :) And that's ok for a 38 year old fitness person who has never been punched.

Then there's the other extreme...

Our boxing course for example. I don't know exactly WHY but when I'm sparring with the 6'3 230 ogres they literally try to punch the head off my shoulders and don't hold back at ALL (I'm visibly seriously smaller than them). It's really "fun" to do drills like countering a long hook with a straight with them, since the one throwing the straight usually hits. Now I have a bruised forehead. Or just open sparring, yesterday I had to go a whole round doing nothing but machinegunning fast lefts at my partner to stop him from spazzing out and trying to land massive crosses and hooks at my head. Well, he still spazzed out, but was too confused under the barrage to figure out 1) my punches were 5% power 100% speed 2) and that he could fire back and ignore all the punches that were landing, so he just covered for two minutes. I don't know what he got out of that round, but at least I still have all my teeth.

Seriously, I'm sick and tired of going over the same thing every week at one class or another: when you are drilling or sparring, you are not trying to WIN and you don't NEED TO TKO or KO ANYONE.

Same, there is a weird thing with me where Im a fairly big guy, like 6'2 and 190 lbs but the really huge guys in the gym (one guy thats 6'8 and 275) think they should always go super hard against me because Im "so big". One big guy who I always have to just jab the whole round while he wings hard hooks at my head always complains "I have to go hard, you have that super long reach and I have to get inside!" until the day I made him stand next to me and see that hes like 3 inches taller than me and has a longer reach, it just looks shorter because he has huge muscular arms

Also in grappling yesterday I rolled on my back to give a white belt side control so he could practice and he kneed me in the face really hard trying to get into position. Constantly getting owned

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

Brofist. same annoyance with guys here. Most of them are still fairly new though, but this one wrestler has been trying to box for the past four years now and he still is like that. Luckily he is terrible and also hasn't improved. Which is sad :/.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Going to my first bjj class tonight. Feeling a little nervous but looking forward to it.

Also on the striking front, the first time I sparred at my schools boxing class, I got punched in the face and took a bloody nose. It was actually a lot of fun. :downs:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Optimus Subprime posted:

Going to my first bjj class tonight. Feeling a little nervous but looking forward to it.

Make sure you have a shower before you go!! Or just generally don't smell bad, in general.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Don't smell like a nerd. Got it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Optimus Subprime posted:

Also on the striking front, the first time I sparred at my schools boxing class, I got punched in the face and took a bloody nose. It was actually a lot of fun. :downs:

Don't get discouraged by not knowing a bunch of things, or constantly being in bad positions.

Remember to breath a lot. Some people forget to do this when they grapple. Seriously.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Optimus Subprime posted:

If it's anything like my judo-class, everyone will be super nice and the morning after you'll feel like you got run over by a train. (In a good way though)

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Got my blue belt in BJJ last night :toot:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Syphilis Fish posted:

Brofist.

Brofist.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Optimus Subprime posted:

The best description of learning BJJ I've heard was that it's like learning to swim. You start off flailing around and putting in a ton of effort and you're still sinking, but once you figure out how to relax, tread water and only put out effort when it's actually going to do something you'll do better. Don't be surprised if you try things and they don't work at all, that's all a part of learning how to grapple.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Prathm posted:

Any last-minute advice?

Tuck and roll grandma! But no, exhale and keep your chin down when being throw. Dont try to brace for impact and be prepared to be told you're not getting low enough on your hip throws.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Rikthor posted:

Congratulations!

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Babby's first bjj class trip report.

Class started with a cardio warm up including running, bear crawls, body squats, push ups, and planks.

Once the instruction period began I was individually instructed by a blue belt in 3 basic chokes and holds. After the instruction period was over, I observed the class as they rolled for 30 minutes. It was pretty good, although I didn't realize I had to tap out during the instructional period and blacked out from the first choke hold for a second or two when the instructor realized that I was going out. I'll be back for more during this intro period and will check out the muay thai instruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Rikthor posted:

Congrats.

• Locked thread