Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo

EC posted:

This actually exists? I've never found it. The wiki I read said it was in the library/prison room at the Archives, but I'll damned if I could find it.

In the big prison room climb the ladder to the exit, there's a plank to the left that runs along the side of the wall that you can drop off which goes to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Read posted:

No, there isn't any voice chat. You can send messages over the PSN but it's kinda discouraged, being out of the spirit of the game.

Actually there IS voice chat. You can't set up a party, but if you do the private chat/im thing that's new on XBL you can talk with somebody while playing with them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Robo Reagan posted:

I only have an Xbox :smith: Hopefully there will be some players for coop

Well you're actually in luck some! You can private chat, but not party chat on Xbox, while on PSN there's no voice communication outside of messages.

Edit: That'll teach me to miss the new page.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
I have played way too much Dark Souls. And every time I try to play a different game I just go back to playing Dark Souls.

Right now I'm invading using cracked red eye orbs and good lord the avelyn is a monster. Using that in conjunction with a stack of lightning bolts, it hits hard.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Ledneh posted:

Is it possible to get through the tomb of the giants without a skull lantern or whatever the other light source is? I'm partway through the catacombs right now.

Yes, the first time I went in through the Tomb of Giants I did it with no light source and without having the Lord Vessel; the rage I felt when I got to blocked-off boss door was only matched by the relief I felt when I finally found the loving exit. I didn't realize the Skull Lantern was anything more than a lovely weapon so I ignored it, and I ended up trading it and the sunlight maggot to Birdgirl so the next time I went through was also in the dark.

It was honestly an extremely interesting experience and looking back I don't regret it at all. Nothing makes you more nervous than creeping into a new area and hearing the labored breath(???) of the giant skeleton werewolf fuckers and knowing that you were in the dark with a monster.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
How the hell do you get out of the Catacombs without the LV? I got down there before placing it, which is a huge kick in the balls, but I've always had the advantage of being able to warp out.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

EC posted:

How the hell do you get out of the Catacombs without the LV? I got down there before placing it, which is a huge kick in the balls, but I've always had the advantage of being able to warp out.

Hey if you need help you can message me, I've got a character and I don't mind helping Dark Souls babbys

just kiddin about the babby stuff, but if you need some help, hit me up

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SixtySix posted:

Hey if you need help you can message me, I've got a character and I don't mind helping Dark Souls babbys

just kiddin about the babby stuff, but if you need some help, hit me up

Uh, if you weren't too busy being superior you'd know I was responding to Scrree. :colbert:

I could actually use a bit of help with the 4K, though. NG++, SL103. I have basically 0 HP, so if I get hit once it's all over with. It'll be awesome!

:negative:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

EC posted:

Uh, if you weren't too busy being superior you'd know I was responding to Scrree. :colbert:

I could actually use a bit of help with the 4K, though. NG++, SL103. I have basically 0 HP, so if I get hit once it's all over with. It'll be awesome!

uuuuhhhh that's too hard for me, I pretty much just like to BB glitch and gently caress around in NG and be smug about it

If you can log in now, I'll load up one of my characters and we'll give it a go? No guarantees of success!

e: OK Im at the entrance to NL and I forgot to bring any transient curses, so you gotta take care of dem ghosts :P

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 7, 2012

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

For some reason i'm a masochist, and rather than start NG+ like a normal person i've decided to see how far into a Level 1 playthrough I can get.

It's been kinda cool so far, just got to the Undead Parish and have a + 5 hand axe, + 3 heater shield and a combo of balder/leather armor. I've been able to down both black knights with pyromancy and backstabs.

Anyone successfully done a level 1 run that can offer any tips? What armor/rings should I be going for?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EC posted:

If you're on PS3 lemme know where to put my sign and we can rip poo poo up.

Montez
Sep 15, 2003

Frog blast the vent cores!
I somehow managed to get to +1 in the Warriors of Sunlight without getting Great Lightning Spear. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I screwed out of it, or can I leave the covenant and rejoin and get it once I level up again?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

you're not coming, are you EC? You made me load up my character and get my curses from my bottomless box just to make me look the fool

Well I'll have the last laugh: I can look foolish ALL BY MYSELF :argh:

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Montez posted:

I somehow managed to get to +1 in the Warriors of Sunlight without getting Great Lightning Spear. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I screwed out of it, or can I leave the covenant and rejoin and get it once I level up again?

Are you sure you're +1 with the sunbros? Did you go to the sunbro altar and offer up all the Sunlight Medallions or are they just sitting in your inventory? Did you leave the sunbros at any point after joining? Are you 100% that it's not in your spell list?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

BigLeafyTree posted:

Are you sure you're +1 with the sunbros? Did you go to the sunbro altar and offer up all the Sunlight Medallions or are they just sitting in your inventory? Did you leave the sunbros at any point after joining? Are you 100% that it's not in your spell list?

I've had the same thing happen with the CS covenant.
+2 and no Chaos Storm nor shortcut. Tried everything under the sun and nothing fixes it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
What are the best pyromancy spells?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I was just hit by a miracle I haven't seen before, help me ID it.

The caster was surrounded by a swirl of purple and black mist, and there was a crackling sound like static that persisted on me. I didn't last long enough to sort out exactly what it did (1v3 invasion), but I think it was some kind of attack debuff. Any ideas?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

EC posted:

You spend 3 hours wandering in the dark getting really loving good at killing giant skeletons before finally finding the path to the ember room. After you spend another hour failing to clear the room by cheesing pyromancy and ledges you do one last desperation search and discover the narrow strip of land that leads up to the ladder out.

The reason I got there so early was because after the second bell I thought 'Hm better clear the basic areas around Firelink before I proceed'. Went to Catacombs and oh Pinwheel was really easy guess I am overleveled oh well on to the next area! Finally got to a bonfire wait what do you mean I can't go back up the slopes where the gently caress am I :darksouls:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Chard posted:

I was just hit by a miracle I haven't seen before, help me ID it.

The caster was surrounded by a swirl of purple and black mist, and there was a crackling sound like static that persisted on me. I didn't last long enough to sort out exactly what it did (1v3 invasion), but I think it was some kind of attack debuff. Any ideas?

Vow of silence.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dear god I hope whoever made up the tomb of the giants dies of gonorrhea and rots in hell. :mad:

Montez
Sep 15, 2003

Frog blast the vent cores!

BigLeafyTree posted:

Definitely did everything right, got it fine with two other characters. I was hoping that there was an easy fix, but it must have just been a random glitch. On the plus side having enough faith to cast GLS means that faith scaling weapons are pretty decent, so even if I can't get the miracle the character isn't a total waste.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Okay, I don't mind when people pull the plug on me when I'm Darkwraith'ing, it takes me like another couple of minutes to find some guy to hurl myself at, but when people pull the plug on a Darkmoon it'd be nice if they faced some kind of punishment (Even something small) for making you wait like 20 minutes, just to yank their cord when you find them, sending you back to the infinite limbo that is using the Blue Eye.

On the plus side, getting some new/better internet has let people actually invade me decently often again, so that makes up for some of the terrible boredom that comes from hoping there's any sinners at all in X zone you're camping.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 7, 2012

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Vow of silence.

Thanks, can't believe I haven't seen anyone use it before. I was playing my pure caster, too :argh:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also oh man, playing around with the Gravelord sword again and I love the Toxin this thing applies. Even if people just turtle, if I wail on them enough that Toxin will bleed in and start working on them. Even if most of my invaders have plenty of health, getting that effect makes people really shaky I guess because they start going on the offensive fast, then al I have to do is wait for them to wear themselves out on Havel's shield.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 7, 2012

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got my broadsword up to +5. Should I take it up to +10 or just start adding lightning? I dunno if one erases the other

e:Nevermind, got all mixed up

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 7, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

Also oh man, playing around with the Gravelord sword again and I love the Toxin this thing applies. Even if people just turtle, if I wail on them enough that Toxin will bleed in and start working on them. Even if most of my invaders have plenty of health, getting that effect makes people really shaky I guess because they start going on the offensive fast, then al I have to do is wait for them to wear themselves out on Havel's shield.

I've found that the best stuff to complement that sword is chameleon for surprise heavy attacks and poisoned throwing knives to make em panic from afar.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Tempted to abandon my original plan of being a tank and just play as a ninja.

I want a sword that can thrust. Not for any Freudian reasons but to use in narrow corridors.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Count Chocula posted:

What are the best pyromancy spells?

Great Combustion, Great Combustion, and Great Combustion.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

I want a sword that can thrust. Not for any Freudian reasons but to use in narrow corridors.

I ended up using the halberd because of that. In the undead cathedral when you fight the channeller I equipped it and backed down the hallway poking the hollows swarming at me. After dieing about 10 times before that it became my best friend. I'm still sad I turned it into a lifehunt. I want my buddy back....

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

If you want thrusts, pick up an Estoc or Ricard's Rapier.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Count Chocula posted:

Try the claymore or any of the straight sword type weapons. If your dex is good or you're going to make an elemental weapon, try the Balder side sword.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

If you want thrusts, pick up an Estoc or Ricard's Rapier.

This + the 7th Sea thread in Traditional Games is making me wonder if anyone has a build/video based on parrying, with a parrying dagger in the left hand and a rapier in the right. Like a swashbuckly type thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

This + the 7th Sea thread in Traditional Games is making me wonder if anyone has a build/video based on parrying, with a parrying dagger in the left hand and a rapier in the right. Like a swashbuckly type thing.

I've seen it a few times, it looked pretty fun but a little lacking in PvP* was all. (*Mainly because of parrying with online lag.) Speaking of PvP, I just got Priscilla's dagger, 500 bleed build-up with attacks THAT fast and that use so little stamina, why in the world don't I see this used more?

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 7, 2012

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Great Combustion, Great Combustion, and Great Combustion.

Great Fireball is pretty good as well if you don't lockon with it, won lots of duels thanks to that.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

I've seen it a few times, it looked pretty fun but a little lacking in PvP* was all. (*Mainly because of parrying with online lag.) Speaking of PvP, I just got Priscilla's dagger, 500 bleed build-up with attacks THAT fast and that use so little stamina, why in the world don't I see this used more?

Probably cause getting in close with that means you're setting yourself up for an easier backstab and getting bonked by something huge. Granted, that is pretty mean but i don't see most people bothering to learn how to use it over big hunk of metal with huge range that shocks things.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Fibby Boy posted:

I don't see most people bothering to learn how to use it over big hunks of metal with huge range that shocks things.

Oh yeah, I forgot where I was for a little bit. It feels like I'm one of the only people who likes using gimmick builds and new setups once in a while. :sigh:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

My favorite part of the game so far is slow duals with various soldiers and knights, just circling around and waiting for an opening. Hopefully they'll be more of them as the game goes on.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ledneh posted:

Dear god I hope whoever made up the tomb of the giants dies of gonorrhea and rots in hell. :mad:

How much INT do you have? If it's close to 14, go fight the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, unlock the NPC Dusk and buy the Cast Light spell from her.

It's not far either, if you're in the Tomb: Warp to firelink, take the shortcut to Andre, go into the Basin. The only problem is walking back to the Tomb. Cast Light is better than using the Skull Lantern because the skeledogs will gently caress you up without a shield.

Bonus: You get access to other useful/fun spells from her that need 14 INT like Hidden Body (Fog Ring effect, enemies don't aggro as easily) and Chameleon (the best PVP spell in the game, turn into environmental objects :v: ).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How much INT do you have? If it's close to 14, go fight the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, unlock the NPC Dusk and buy the Cast Light spell from her.

It's not far either, if you're in the Tomb: Warp to firelink, take the shortcut to Andre, go into the Basin. The only problem is walking back to the Tomb. Cast Light is better than using the Skull Lantern because the skeledogs will gently caress you up without a shield.

Bonus: You get access to other useful/fun spells from her that need 14 INT like Hidden Body (Fog Ring effect, enemies don't aggro as easily) and Chameleon (the best PVP spell in the game, turn into environmental objects :v: ).

Do you need to beat the Hydra or can you just run past it? I want my ninja ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

Do you need to beat the Hydra or can you just run past it? I want my ninja ring.

If you leave him alive you're gonna risk Dusk getting hit when you find her, then you're most definitely not gonna be able to reach her as a merchant if he's still there. So yeah, he needs to die.

• Locked thread