Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you can't distinguish between those shows and Blazblue, yes, I can see how you'd be confused.

Maybe, but maybe I actually need to go play BlazBlue. I've just noticed a pattern about this kind of thing on the internet in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Why do you guys think that 3d fighting games never really took off in the US? Everyone is crazy into 2d stuff like SF and mvc series but there are tiny followings for games like tekken and vf (compared to 2d games).

Growing up in Korea, tekken was THE GAME to play when you go to arcades. And arcades being as common as any mom and pop shops in towns, it meant that a poo poo ton of people played it. Sure people still played kof but that was about it. Mvc2 and 3s was there but people never really played them.

One thing that made me go "wtf" when I moved to the states were how crazy expensive the arcade games were. lovely old games required like 50 cents to play whereas you only need 10cents to play a game in korea. Plus, arcades were very uncommon and if you somehow found one, it'll be a lovely one in the mall with pinball games and racing games from 1999.

Why aren't 3d games more popular? Why are arcades so rare and expensive?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Arcade games cost 10 cents in Korea? You're lucky if you find a 25 cent one in the US, like you said. Anything larger than a standard arcade cabinet's a dollar.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
Is the Persona fighter gonna be any good?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PalmTreeFun posted:

Maybe, but maybe I actually need to go play BlazBlue. I've just noticed a pattern about this kind of thing on the internet in general.

Nah, Blazblue's plot is total ballast, you're right about that part.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

PalmTreeFun posted:

Like, I can't believe people watch FLCL and enjoy that poo poo, and that's about as ridiculous as you can get.

This is the worst goddamn thing I've ever heard. Talk about being absolutely soulless.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Cinroth posted:

This is the worst goddamn thing I've ever heard. Talk about being absolutely soulless.

I really don't get it. It seemed kind of funny at first, but that girl on the motorbike was really grating, and some guy from my Steam friends list who showed it to me was going off on how "you see it's a metaphor for coming of age" or something like that. I think I made it through the first episode and quit.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

PalmTreeFun posted:

You know what the problem with anime-like stuff is? You can post descriptions like this, then go play/watch it and it's the stupidest, 4kids-iest poo poo ever.

Like, I can't believe people watch FLCL and enjoy that poo poo, and that's about as ridiculous as you can get. Or Panty and Stocking.

The primary difference is FLCL and Panty and Stocking are more or less designed to be comedies with alot of the random/crazy and have alot of subtle or not so subtle artsy stuff. Blazblue is trying to use every shounen anime cliche ever and put them on as few characters as possible, and I don't think it is trying to be classy at all.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

PalmTreeFun posted:

Arcade games cost 10 cents in Korea? You're lucky if you find a 25 cent one in the US, like you said. Anything larger than a standard arcade cabinet's a dollar.

Yep that's why there are so many kids in arcades in Korea. Though they are mostly in PC bangs now which are LAN cafes.

Bring a couple dollars, put them in the coin machine and carry a pocket full of 10 cent coins and that's your entertainment for the day. If you were good at games, a single coin could last you hours if you played action scroll games like d&d or beat everyone who challenges you on games like tekken

Ahhh nostalgia

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

washow posted:

Why do you guys think that 3d fighting games never really took off in the US? Everyone is crazy into 2d stuff like SF and mvc series but there are tiny followings for games like tekken and vf (compared to 2d games).

I think it's partly because they gained a reputation as being more inaccessible or "hardcore", and partly because the rise of 3D fighters coincided with the shift from arcade to consoles and a big downturn in local competitive events, and thus a lesser interest in fighting games generally.

Tekken's always sold well, SC/DOA have generally done okay, MK does well in spite of itself.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

washow posted:

lovely old games required like 50 cents to play whereas you only need 10cents to play a game in korea.

100 won arcade machines, how I miss thee. You couldn't walk 50ft without tripping over some pc-bang or arcade in Seoul. I wasn't really into fighting games at the time though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Broken Loose posted:

That cover art owns. I love it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Broken Loose posted:

I spy Persephone.

E: I mean maid girl.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Japanese arcades are $1/play for standard games and like $3 for bemani, so I don't really think the price to play a game says all that much about the health of the arcade scene.

Also, Tekken's following isn't "tiny" and it's always done pretty well. I'm not really sure where people get this idea that it's a niche title compared to other FGs in the US (where arcades are mostly dead regardless of what your favorite FG is).

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Broken Loose posted:

That's not Q1 at all!

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Grozz Nuy posted:

That's not Q1 at all!

Microsoft thinks Q1 means Q2 clearly.

Also the Persona 4 fighter is rad and there's a thread for it. Check out the vids, theorycrafting and whatnot in it.

It's basically BB in terms of walkspeed, but the damage in the game's near GG levels, so it's the best of both worlds with that. The cast's small though, but it's hinted for the console versions it would be expanded upon, but right now, there's a character archetype suited for anyone's needs. So like, get hyped for it and poo poo you fools. Also vote for Teddie as Commissioner of the World please.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Japanese arcades are $1/play for standard games and like $3 for bemani, so I don't really think the price to play a game says all that much about the health of the arcade scene.

Well, the *new* Bemani games tend to be a bit more expensive but most of the ones you'll find in any Tokyo arcade are 100yen (closer to $1 than $3).

The expensive games in Japanese arcades are the ones with super special (beyond Bemani-special) cabinets. i.e.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvbhqbMrZ0
500yen

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bandai needs to create a new version of Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna, that game owned.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Tekken and VF are still in top 10.

I think one of the main reasons arcades started failing was the insane rent prices as most landlords thought arcades are million dollar businesses while in reality, they were only making enough to pay the rent along with the cost of repairs and refurbishment.

So yeah, landlords killed arcades.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

uncleKitchener posted:

So yeah, landlords killed arcades.

Yep. RIP Funland Trocadero. But at least London gets a capsule hotel :bravo:

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 13, 2012

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I wish we had a capsule hotel right next to an arcade.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 13, 2012

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

DiscoJ posted:

Yep. RIP Funland Trocadero. But at least London gets a capsule hotel :bravo:
It was so depressing when I first saw it all torn apart and boarded up. :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

IT'S A SHOWDOWN! GOING DOWNTOWN! YOU'RE GONNA MESS AROUND, SHOWDOWN!

New VF5: Final Showdown screenshots

We should probably get a Final Showdown thread going at some point.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

washow posted:

Funny, because until SF4 came about, every 3D fighting game in the US kicked the rear end of any 2D game all day, erryday.

Even still, SF4 didn't sell THAT much more than Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4, and MK vs DC.
Marvel vs Capcom 3 sold less than pretty much every major 3D fighter release of the past decade, even VF5 and DoA4.

Marvel and SF get more entrants at tournaments, true, but that's more to the credit that most of tournament scene in America was established by Capcom and Capcom players. Or perhaps the fact that for whatever reason 3d fighting fans seem to include greater numbers of casual players.
I know for a fact I could find a greater number of overall Tekken/SC players in my city than Marvel and SF4 players, but for whatever reason the 3d players just don't travel or show up for tournaments.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Policenaut posted:

IT'S A SHOWDOWN! GOING DOWNTOWN! YOU'RE GONNA MESS AROUND, SHOWDOWN!

New VF5: Final Showdown screenshots

We should probably get a Final Showdown thread going at some point.

SIT ON HIM!

PS: Nice Strong Bad quote :waycool:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

LightningKimba posted:

It's basically BB in terms of walkspeed, but the damage in the game's near GG levels, so it's the best of both worlds with that. The cast's small though, but it's hinted for the console versions it would be expanded upon, but right now, there's a character archetype suited for anyone's needs. So like, get hyped for it and poo poo you fools. Also vote for Teddie as Commissioner of the World please.

Saying it's "BB in terms of walkspeed" is being a little unfair to the game, as the game as a whole is a million times faster than BB. It's definitely closer to GG in terms of almost everything.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I don't buy the overall popularity of 2D blowing away 3D at all. Tekken, Soul Calibur, and even MK9 have been quite popular with casual players who just want to fight mans and make dudes and do sweet fatalities. By contrast, those kind of people see stuff like BB and even Marvel as downright intimidating enthusiast games. Giantbomb's attitude toward Marvel 3 sort of alluded to this; none of the guys could afford to really spend much time playing it and one of them compared it to Starcraft 2 by saying "that game's awesome to watch but the people who are good at it are playing a completely different game than I am".

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah I don't buy the overall popularity of 2D blowing away 3D at all. Tekken, Soul Calibur, and even MK9 have been quite popular with casual players who just want to fight mans and make dudes and do sweet fatalities.

MK9 isn't 3D though?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

AXE COP posted:

MK9 isn't 3D though?

Yeah it isn't but I'm gonna leave it because I think it serves my overall point that the size and visibility of a game's tournament scene doesn't have a whole lot to do with how popular the game is among The Folks

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

AXE COP posted:

MK9 isn't 3D though?

The hitboxes are. :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

SIT ON HIM!

PS: Nice Strong Bad quote :waycool:

The picture kind of makes it look like Lei Fei and Lau are doing a dance.

For some reason that one email is like the only thing about Homestar Runner I remember, and that song pops into my head every time I see Final Showdown. I think I might have a problem. GUTS. GUTS AND MIGHT.

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
The MLG event in Columbus doubled its MK9 prize pool. 12k for first.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Rugpisser posted:

poo poo yes. I'm about to go get dat eSports money, son.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Just a reminder that JoJo's is tomorrow! Get in on this poo poo!

interrodactyl posted:

Next week's game, as part of GGPO Goonbats is
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Wednesday, March 14th, 10pm EST

This game loving owns. It's got stands and poo poo and stuff and whatnot and Petshop is loving broken (but that's okay no one's good enough to do all his poo poo anyway).

NOTE: You will no longer need a savestate to play GGPO. That poo poo is fixed!

You can sign up here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xig5g6jhsq

I'll deal with point standings in a later post!

interrodactyl posted:

So here's my "brilliant" system for managing point totals:

A Google document.

Yeah, that's all.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Rugpisser posted:

That would've been pretty cool if they had done it for KoF, or even SCV.

Well congrats to REO or whoever still plays that game.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Double Bill posted:

That would've been pretty cool if they had done it for KoF, or even SCV.

Well congrats to REO or whoever still plays that game.

Lots of people still play MK. But yeah, it'll be REO or PerfectLegend who wins it.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

kaujot posted:

Lots of people still play MK. But yeah, it'll be REO or PerfectLegend who wins it.
You don't think CD Jr has a shot at it?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

may contain peanuts posted:

You don't think CD Jr has a shot at it?

He has a shot, as he's a really great player, but I think REO or PerfectLegend, having had much more exposure to big tournament play, will be able to handle the environment/pressure better.

fix yr hearts fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
What was the name of that awesome, crazy Japanese Makoto player who uses SA2 and can 100% reliably but still manages to gently caress up all the time?

Rugpisser posted:

Wasn't this the event that is totally infringing upon the Evo season already? Doubling the prize pool is kind of scummy when looked at from that perspective.

• Locked thread