Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I love charts like that, though.

IF IT CONTINUES AT THE CURRENT RATE THEN BY THE END OF THE KICKSTARTER WASTELAND 2 WILL HAVE RAISED OVER SEVENTEEN MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!! :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Fintilgin posted:

IF IT CONTINUES AT THE CURRENT RATE THEN BY THE END OF THE KICKSTARTER WASTELAND 2 WILL HAVE RAISED OVER SEVENTEEN MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!! :byodood:

hahahaha SO MANY DOLLARS.

Going to bed at under 30k left to go. I expect to wake up to a funded project.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You know

This has to be like the best week ever for Brian Fargo and his Wasteland buddies

Like just a plain, feel good, I like people and games are awesome sort of week

That's pretty :3:

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.

theblackw0lf posted:

Interesting watching some people withdraw their backing as the kickstarter looks more like a success.

Bastards. In that case I will add another $150. 17 million here we come!

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Any tips for playing through Wasteland? I think someone earlier in the thread said to make characters, load all the equipment onto one character, and delete the rest? So if I'm going to do that and therefore not keeping the starting party, what should I be going for as far as stats and skills for created characters at the beginning?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Quarex posted:

I love you, Megadyptes. You were so cynical on the first page, but we could all tell that there was love deep in your heart just waiting to explode like a blood sausage!
No, Thankyou Quarex, for teaching this bitter and miserable old Goon how to love again.

So, I'm looking at some screenshots of the first game.

:shepface:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
What really impresses me is that the average backer contribution is almost $57 per at this point. I think Double Fine's ended up around the high 30's, but it was impressive to watch it crawl up from the 20's.

Never played the original Wasteland, but I remember the magazine ad of the cover very well. Had I known it was created by some of the same guys that did The Bard's Tale (played the poo poo out of those on my Apple IIc) I'd have tried to acquire it.

Gonna throw my $50 in.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fritz posted:

A part of my youth that seems to have escaped the internet is those old guide books, I remember having ones for Wasteland and Bards Tale III and they had this little story about the parties going through the world and doing the game.

Well turns out I was wrong about the BT3 one, but I can't find the Wasteland one. (this is not the paragraphs, it was a little book that you had to buy separately) FOUND IT

fritz fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 15, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Philip J Fry posted:

What really impresses me is that the average backer contribution is almost $57 per at this point. I think Double Fine's ended up around the high 30's, but it was impressive to watch it crawl up from the 20's.

I wonder if that (and the slower rate of progress) could be attributed to a smaller but much more die hard fanbase

And I agree on your BT2 comment, those games were just slightly out of my reach when I was young, so I missed a lot of the big ones, but given how much I loved the Bard's Tale, I suspect Wasteland would have blown my little mind

... it's ok though, I acquired a deep and abiding love for cyberpunk and apocalyptica later in life :neckbeard:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Wizardry might be the only thing in that list with the rights still owned by people who worked on the originals. I would pay good money for that kickstarter.
Yeah, I think Sir-Tech knew the end was coming and managed its disintegration better, though that could just be me wanting to believe that is the case. Does anyone here remember the story there?

fritz posted:

A part of my youth that seems to have escaped the internet is those old guide books, I remember having ones for Wasteland and Bards Tale III and they had this little story about the parties going through the world and doing the game.
The best thing about Fountain of Dreams for me was the clue book that detailed a party running through the game; I read it cover to cover dozens of times before I could even play the game (I did not have a high-density drive so I had to have one of my Dad's friends perform ARCANE MAGIC to make me a copy that would install on my 8088!).

Megadyptes posted:

No, Thankyou Quarex, for teaching this bitter and miserable old Goon how to love again.
:woop:

Megadyptes posted:

Hahahah. I do not remember ever being attacked by prostitutes in the game; you have to be the kind of person who attacks everything in the game you can attack to have that. But then again, I am sure most people were like that in those days.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Any tips for playing through Wasteland? I think someone earlier in the thread said to make characters, load all the equipment onto one character, and delete the rest? So if I'm going to do that and therefore not keeping the starting party, what should I be going for as far as stats and skills for created characters at the beginning?
Ummmmmmmm someone has to know of a good site for this off-hand :( I can tell you that the skills that come up the most are Perception, Lockpick, Swim, and Climb, with Safecrack, Alarm Disarm, Silent Move(?), and Sleight of Hand coming up occasionally for big dividends. Combat-wise, you cannot go wrong with Brawling as it governs all non-ranged combat, and though Clip Pistol is very important at the beginning, putting points into SMG, Assault Rifle, and AT Weapon will be useful in the longer-run (particularly the last two). Energy Weapons might not be available at the beginning of the game, I forgot. You will eventually want someone with Toaster Repair and Cyborg Tech. I am pretty sure those are all the super-vital ones, but someone may correct my memory. Only a few of the skills are actually worthless; Combat Shooting may have no function (and can only be bought at the beginning, and only on the PC version), Bureaucracy I am pretty sure has no function, uhh, Metallurgy only comes up for finding money in the mines early on ...

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Thuryl posted:

As a matter of fact I've heard that they would very much like to do this, it's just a matter of finding a way to make it happen.

The good news is, having been the driving force behind Skylanders (which is now making absolutely insane amounts of bank for Activision last I heard) Toys For Bob is now in a much stronger position to dictate other "vanity projects" they'd like to do alongside more Skylander stuff. It would not surprise me if they were telling Activision "Okay, we'll do more Skylander, but in return you have to cut us a couple million for a proper Ur-Quan Masters II."

Quarex posted:

Yeah, I think Sir-Tech knew the end was coming and managed its disintegration better, though that could just be me wanting to believe that is the case. Does anyone here remember the story there?

Sir-Tech largely became AnimEigo and they actually license out the name to Japanese developers for more Wizardry games. (The most recent was not very good.) So a kickstarter there is kind of pointless, they aren't interested in more Wizardry because it's been done already.

Also it is very :allears: to see this gaining traction so quickly. I do wonder how long the "Kickstarter Thing" can sustain itself, however.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 15, 2012

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Quarex posted:

Ummmmmmmm someone has to know of a good site for this off-hand :(

http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/wasteland.html#char

This walkthrough has some pointers for building characters that you might find useful and doesn't spoil anything in the character creation section except which skills are basically pointless however. Also if you read down to just before the first area guide (Highpool) it has some general hints and tips without spoiling plot information except some location names. Might be worth it if you don't think you'll have the patience to figure it all out yourself.

chiefnewo fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 15, 2012

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
$25,000 to go as Day 3 dawns!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Quarex posted:

The best thing about Fountain of Dreams for me was the clue book that detailed a party running through the game; I read it cover to cover dozens of times before I could even play the game (I did not have a high-density drive so I had to have one of my Dad's friends perform ARCANE MAGIC to make me a copy that would install on my 8088!).

:woop:

I don't think I ever saw a copy of Fountain of Dreams (and I bet that guide is rare as gently caress nowadays)

quote:

Hahahah. I do not remember ever being attacked by prostitutes in the game; you have to be the kind of person who attacks everything in the game you can attack to have that. But then again, I am sure most people were like that in those days.

I want to say that if you get in a combat with someone else and they're nearby they'll show up on the map as combatants, but it's been a long time...

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

victrix posted:

I wonder if that (and the slower rate of progress) could be attributed to a smaller but much more die hard fanbase

Probably that coupled with the killer reward tiers. Also, not everyone had computers back then compared to the hay-day of Schafer's adventure games (around when everyone and their grandma was figuring out how to use them and the internet was crawling out of the ooze,) so I'd imagine Wasteland's demographic back then to be mostly made up of technologically-savvy teens and young adults. They have money now and they haven't forgotten their favorite gaming memories of a genre passed by in favor of consoles, 3D perspectives and other publisher focuses.

One of my favorite things to do in TBT was to use the import character feature, using random floppies. The garbled data would unlock some insanely leveled characters and rare, powerful items.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

victrix posted:

Right, no offense to the Double Fine people, as they are great and I respect them, but I imagine it is far easier to harbor a lifelong obsession with Wasteland's atmosphere and themes than with Maniac Mansion. Though apparently only Ron Gilbert worked on that one. Funny, I always thought Ron Gilbert was the amazing guy everyone loved back in the day, not Tim Schafer.

Nilbop posted:

$25,000 to go as Day 3 dawns!
Still Day 2 here in Real America :smug: No but InXile is based in California, so clearly the Kickstarter should be interpreted that way!!!

Philip J Fry posted:

One of my favorite things to do in TBT was use the import character feature, using random floppies. The garbled data would unlock some insanely leveled characters and rare, powerful items.
Huh. That is brilliant. Suddenly I feel as though the dozens of hours I have put into running to the Samurai statue down the street from the Inn and running back to save my party may have been more easily duplicated through ridiculous means.

fritz posted:

I don't think I ever saw a copy of Fountain of Dreams (and I bet that guide is rare as gently caress nowadays)
I suppose I had not thought of that, but probably. One of those things that may be incredibly rare but also that nobody wants.

Though I also distinctly recall that my Dad wrote "Michael" on the front cover of the clue book since that was the name of the representative from Electronic Arts who first informed us that we probably did not have a high-density drive. Maybe if I could track down Michael from Electronic Arts and get him to sign under his name it would be worth more!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Megadyptes posted:

She gave you Wasteland Herpes? What do you expect would happen?

Also, that's a three-legged prostitute.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Quarex posted:

The company was private so I'm not sure the whole story was ever clear. Basically, Sir-Tech was had a publisher and a developer branch both owned by the same small group of people. I think it was a family operation. Eventually they got to the point where that model wasn't working but they were far enough into JA2 and Wiz 8 development that when the publishing arm was shuttered they finished up those games. They had a hell of a time publishing them, though. I remember Wiz 8 was actually done for months just waiting to be published. My impression was that they realized they couldn't keep up with self funded development and the publisher experiences did not go well for those two games. I know it took them a while before they announced Strategy First was getting the Jagged Alliance brand and it seemed more like a strategic decision than a monetary one, though I don't remember it being clear if they sold off that IP or just licensed it. Wizardry was never publicly moved anywhere and seeing as it continues to get spinoffs in Japan I'm assuming they just kept the IP and collect those fees. I think I feel about Sir-Tech the way you do about Wasteland. Wizardry or Jagged Alliance from the original team would make me so happy.

SpaceDrake posted:

Sir-Tech largely became AnimEigo and they actually license out the name to Japanese developers for more Wizardry games. (The most recent was not very good.) So a kickstarter there is kind of pointless, they aren't interested in more Wizardry because it's been done already.
No. The founders of Animeigo were the original Wizardry creators for 1 through 4 but they did not own the IP and left Sir-Tech. I'm pretty sure there was even a dispute between them and Sir-Tech at the time 6 came out over the IP and they lost.
Edit: I guess maybe I'm wrong and they regained the rights after. gently caress.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 15, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Wizardry was never publicly moved anywhere and seeing as it continues to get spinoffs in Japan I'm assuming they just kept the IP and collect those fees. I think I feel about Sir-Tech the way you do about Wasteland. Wizardry or Jagged Alliance from the original team would make me so happy.
Yeah, I had forgotten about the Japanese angle for the whole thing; thanks to you and SpaceDrake for filling that gap in my Wizardry-thinkin'.

It is funny to think about the decades that can pass between the first and the most recent game in these epic CRPG dynasties; Wizardry came out in 1981? and Wizardry 8 in 2003, so its 22 years will soon be surpassed by Wasteland's 25 years. Might & Magic seems to have spanned only 16 years, surprisingly (1 to 9, anyway, not counting Dark Messiah); Ultima, if you count Akalabeth, only had 20 years between it and Ultima 9. Does this mean Wasteland will be the new Continuity Champion?!?

I also just learned while Googling that that Japan saw the release of an "Ultima jacket." I cannot believe no-one asked for a Wasteland 2 themed leather jacket in the Kickstarter rewards thread :(

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

HotCanadianChick posted:

You don't say...

:allears:

I always wanted to try some of the recipes in those. :unsmith:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Quarex posted:

I suppose I had not thought of that, but probably. One of those things that may be incredibly rare but also that nobody wants.

I don't know, it's at least a little bit of history of the genre that should be out there.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think I feel about Sir-Tech the way you do about Wasteland. Wizardry or Jagged Alliance from the original team would make me so happy.

There have been so many JA3 abortions since then, and v1.13 is so good. It's really hard to imagine a non-lovely sequel, I think I'm (along with most everyone else) just too traumatised to believe.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
$115 donated. Fargo better not gently caress this up. :colbert:

On the subject of old game resurrections, I'd donate at least as much for a modern remake of Covert Action (but that'll never happen as Sid Meier views it as one of his failures). :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert_Action

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 15, 2012

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Was wasteland the game you could do some sort of weirdness where you picked up the Chitin armor (of which there were not enough sets for your whole crew) then pop the disk out of the drive, let it grind away till it asked you to put the disk back in, then get a whole second set of goodies from the armory?

Because that was my first real game cheating experience, and I treasure it.....if I remember it correctly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Quarex posted:

Right, no offense to the Double Fine people, as they are great and I respect them, but I imagine it is far easier to harbor a lifelong obsession with Wasteland's atmosphere and themes than with Maniac Mansion. Though apparently only Ron Gilbert worked on that one. Funny, I always thought Ron Gilbert was the amazing guy everyone loved back in the day, not Tim Schafer.
Tim Schafer started at Lucasarts (Lucasfilm games at the time) a little bit later.

If this hits 2 mil they should spring for full voice.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

fritz posted:

I don't know, it's at least a little bit of history of the genre that should be out there.
That is true, and I remember being totally engrossed in it as a child, not that this means much about its actual quality. I suppose there is the chance I am the only person in the world who could transcribe it for posterity!

Mattjpwns posted:

On the subject of old game resurrections, I'd donate at least as much for a modern remake of Covert Action (but that'll never happen as Sid Meier views it as one of his failures). :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert_Action
Knowing he thinks it is one of his failures makes the conversation I had with him at Gen-Con 2003 even funnier in retrospect, since I told him that I nearly bombed all of my classes as a result of playing it constantly when it came out. I am sure he was like "just one more life ruined by my abomination." Seriously, that game was so amazing. It was like the "older kid" version of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego!

Slo-Tek posted:

Because that was my first real game cheating experience, and I treasure it.....if I remember it correctly.
The things you describe all basically line up with how the game works, so probably. Also, Wasteland was the game that taught me what both the words "pseudo" and "chitin" meant, even though it was years before I realized they were not both just made-up words.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Quarex posted:

That is true, and I remember being totally engrossed in it as a child, not that this means much about its actual quality. I suppose there is the chance I am the only person in the world who could transcribe it for posterity!

I say 'do it', or scan it or something.

There's a lot of goofballs posting on the WL2 forum, I hope they don't get listened to.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Casimir Radon posted:

Tim Schafer started at Lucasarts (Lucasfilm games at the time) a little bit later.

If this hits 2 mil they should spring for full voice.

I will retract my pledge if they start talking about voice acting.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

ShankyMcStabber posted:

One thing I always liked about the early EA folio releases. They stood nice on a bookshelf and could be easily identified without taking up silly amounts of space like Centauri Alliance did (look it up).

I just want to say how glad I am someone brought up Centauri Alliance. It's one of my favourite CRPGs, but I rarely if ever see it mentioned anywhere. Turns out I'm not the only one who knows about that game, after all!

You also mentioned Deathlord in the same post, which makes me double happy.

Quarex posted:

I think Centauri Alliance slipped through my "identify and track down every MS-DOS CRPG" efforts from a few years ago.

There is no MS-DOS version of Centauri Alliance, as far as I'm aware. It was only released for C64 and Apple II.

randoark
May 9, 2003
Whoso pulleth this linoleum knife from this milkman is rightwise king born of England!
SO GLAD this is on the front page of games! I would have never known about this otherwise. I mean, I am as die hardy a fan of old-school Lucasarts adventure games as anyone and the Double Fine kickstarter was amazing, but...

Wow. I had no idea this was even a possibility. Wasteland, Bard's Tale, Wizardry, those made my early gaming experiences. Also awesome to see all these relatively old school PC gamers come out of the woodwork on this one. It's sort of crushing when someone talks about having played Halo or like some SNES game as being "back in the day".

Now I want my M.U.L.E. sequel! :colbert:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

I will retract my pledge if they start talking about voice acting.
MMMMmmmm and FMV....

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
After seeing the success of both DoubleFine and Wasteland 2, I'm perhaps most excited about how this changes the gaming industry landscape. While the budget for AAA games couldn't really be found by crowd sourcing (20+ million on average is quite the tall order), I think at the very least, it will give publishers some pause as to what they think they know about consumer demand. I mean, we still have to wait a year or two for either of these KickStarters to generate a product, and we'll have to see about the numbers sold to really determine how this affects the industry.

It's just interesting to see a potential paradigm shift occurring before your very eyes.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

fritz posted:

I say 'do it', or scan it or something.

There's a lot of goofballs posting on the WL2 forum, I hope they don't get listened to.
I will definitely grab it next time I am at my parents' house where I unceremoniously have kept all of my games forever (though I did move them from the shelves in my Dad's office to the closet in my childhood bedroom; that counts as being responsible, I think).

Also, while the goofballs may be prominent, there are usually anti-goofballs around to bring things back to reality. It will be pretty amazing though when we all think things are going well and then they release a top-down CGA game where all the text is recorded on punch cards.

CrookedB posted:

There is no MS-DOS version of Centauri Alliance, as far as I'm aware. It was only released for C64 and Apple II.
That may explain how it escaped my notice, then, ha. I inherited a Commodore 128 from a friend, clearly I just need to track down a copy of this for it to be my only Commodore game! Actually I think I have some game called A Mission to Rama or Rama's Voyage or man I have no idea, I just found it in a pile of games that said "FREE TAKE ME" a few years back.

Edit: $888,888 super lucky!!! All right not really the last 8.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
890k/900k :toot:
The ten 10,000$ private party slots are sold out, but noone wants a 2,500$ Exploded Blood Sausage for some reason.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
$889,567
PLEDGED OF $900,000 GOAL

I should stay up and try to be the guy that pushes it to $900,000.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

sauer kraut posted:

890k/900k :toot:
The ten 10,000$ private party slots are sold out, but noone wants a 2,500$ Exploded Blood Sausage for some reason.
I hope the universal disinterest in exploded blood sausages becomes a joke in the final product.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This is kind of OT but I wonder if Brian Mitsoda has considered a Kickstarter campaign for Dead State, his turn-based zombie apocalypse RPG. He announced it way back before Kickstarter was even a thing and it's basically a hobby of his with his wife at this point.

I guess the primary thing might be that they made the mistake of going into partnership with Iron Tower Studies, the RPG Codex-affiliated volunteer game dev company that's been toiling away for years and years and years on their Age of Decadence fantasy RPG. If I could give Mitsoda money without any of it going to those silly dickheads, I would.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

So what's the next long forgotten genre that should be resurrected via kickstarter?

Personally I'm thinking small scale tycoon games ala Theme Hospital. What happened to those?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

thepopstalinist posted:

This is kind of OT but I wonder if Brian Mitsoda has considered a Kickstarter campaign for Dead State, his turn-based zombie apocalypse RPG. He announced it way back before Kickstarter was even a thing and it's basically a hobby of his with his wife at this point.

I guess the primary thing might be that they made the mistake of going into partnership with Iron Tower Studies, the RPG Codex-affiliated volunteer game dev company that's been toiling away for years and years and years on their Age of Decadence fantasy RPG. If I could give Mitsoda money without any of it going to those silly dickheads, I would.

I hope those developers don't start kickstarters because I don't think those games are ever going to get made no matter what, the developers are of the "stop talking to everybody for six months and delay 2 years" types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Less than 9k to go, this is going to be the best Thursday ever :unsmith:

Now someone needs to wait a month for the nerds to gather more money and start a kickstarter for Bad Blood 2 and the world will be complete.

• Locked thread