Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Fintilgin posted:

Is there already a thread about this? I almost made one.

Nah, I don't think so. Consider this peer pressure to make one :v:, it definitely deserves one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Xik posted:

Nah, I don't think so. Consider this peer pressure to make one :v:, it definitely deserves one.

I've only played for a few hours, but if I get some more time in this weekend and nobody else has, maybe I will!

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

CrookedB posted:

I've asked the inXile folks to clarify that, and they said the novellas are digital for now, but they might make 'em physical:

"Right now, the are digital novellas. That said, we think they would be much cooler as an actual physical book so we will be looking into the costs to manufacture these. If they're reasonable, we will go that route. Still a bit too early to tell as we haven't had a chance to check on it yet with the craziness of the last few days."

Awesome, thank you!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xik posted:

If anyone wants to get their fix of a post-apocalyptic survival game, NEO Scavenger is looking to be a great little game, despite still being extremely early in development. The guy worked at Bioware for 7 years working on AAA RPG's before leaving and starting his own thing, expect good things.

This looks really tough game especially all the survival type mechanics like hunger and thirst.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Xik posted:

If anyone wants to get their fix of a post-apocalyptic survival game, NEO Scavenger is looking to be a great little game, despite still being extremely early in development.

I got out of the cryo facility, found a town next to it and decided to scavenge. Then some guy with a crowbar came over and beat me to poo poo with it. :saddowns:

That's my short post-apocalyptic survival story.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Xik posted:

If anyone wants to get their fix of a post-apocalyptic survival game, NEO Scavenger is looking to be a great little game, despite still being extremely early in development. The guy worked at Bioware for 7 years working on AAA RPG's before leaving and starting his own thing, expect good things.

I picked up a med kit in the first room and then I didn't have an inventory to put it in. It just stuck on my cursor and I couldn't do anything else. I clicked around the screen for 2 or 3 minutes and gave up on it. I guess I should give it another shot.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Apparently you just need a little luck in NEO Scavenger. I searched one house and found tons and tons of poo poo including backpacks, bottles, meat cleavers, full clothing etc. Lockpicking and hiding are nice I guess.

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.
You want to keep an eye out for shacks in the woods. They have the best loot and don't attract much attention. Only scavenge at the beginning of your turn so you can leg it if something shows up. Athletics helps with that too. I think it generally pays to just run away from everything whenever possible.

It's a fantastic concept but it has easily the worst interface I've ever seen. I especially like the part where you click on an option to pick up (?) the option and then put the option on another part of the screen so that you can choose that option. :pwn:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

etalian posted:

This looks really tough game especially all the survival type mechanics like hunger and thirst.

It can be a challenge, I've played it quite a bit over the last couple of days. It does get easier as you start to learn how the mechanics of the game work but still, some games can only last a minute or two thanks to a silly mistake on my part. I love that about it.

Fewd posted:

I got out of the cryo facility, found a town next to it and decided to scavenge. Then some guy with a crowbar came over and beat me to poo poo with it. :saddowns:

That's my short post-apocalyptic survival story.

Hah, sounds about right. The best thing to do when you start is to run from anything/everyone, you are extremely fragile until you get yourself some equipment (mostly a gun). Take abilities like hiding and tracking (hide your tracks so they can't follow you). Use the hiding ability when you scavenge so the sneak and safety goes up, loot quality hits the floor though but it's always about risk, "phat loot" is no good when you are dead and you may even survive long enough to collect enough loot to..... continue to live.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I picked up a med kit in the first room and then I didn't have an inventory to put it in. It just stuck on my cursor and I couldn't do anything else. I clicked around the screen for 2 or 3 minutes and gave up on it. I guess I should give it another shot.

Open up your inventory and put it in your hand until you find a backpack. Press "Q" to open your inventory.

Also, at the moment there really is not much point in picking the hacking, electrician or mechanic abilities because they only have one use right at the beginning and after that are never used. Athletic (move more per turn) and Metabolism (consume less water and food) are good abilities to pick up.

e:

Orgone Accumulator posted:

It's a fantastic concept but it has easily the worst interface I've ever seen. I especially like the part where you click on an option to pick up (?) the option and then put the option on another part of the screen so that you can choose that option. :pwn:

Yep, the interface is pretty poor. Quite unintuitive, although as a dev I can see the appeal of everything being an "item" as it's currently implemented. Being good for a programmer very rarely equals good for the user though. Still, it's early days yet, I'm hoping it's an area of the game that gets some love.

Xik fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 16, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

you have to click the items tab on the bar on the left of the screen and dump it in your inventory.

[e] Night vision is another good skill beacuse it increases all three bars in scavenge missions for free.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Fintilgin posted:

Is there already a thread about this? I almost made one.

Please do. That game looks loving interesting.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xik posted:

Yep, the interface is pretty poor. Quite unintuitive, although as a dev I can see the appeal of everything being an "item" as it's currently implemented.

Being good for a programmer very rarely equals good for the user though. Still, it's early days yet, I'm hoping it's an area of the game that gets some love.

Yeah after playing it for 20 minutes the most annoying thing was how even basic things such a inventory management and equipping weapons ends up really clunky.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

So, the $2,500 tier changed.

quote:

You get to place a personalized collectible artifact in our world and write its backstory! It could be anything from an engagement ring to a teddy bear. We will have 200 of these rare and semi rare items that can be found throughout the Wasteland 2 world. When collected, all players will learn about the personal touch that you added to the world. You'll also receive a signed Collector's Edition, boxed version and 10 digital copies of the game to do what you'd like with, in addition to a lv4 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible. (This does not include NPC/Weapon/Location as well)

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Not only has it changed, but there's already 1 backer! :v:

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!
Call me a cynic, but, while the concept of a sequel is fantastic, I have major reservations about inXile pulling this off - the Bard's Tale, Hunted and their other projects have been very lacklustre.

Still, it's early days yet. People are free to spend their money how they see fit and it's better than no sequel at all. It will also be really interesting in the industry if this and Double Fine's kickstarter projects work out.

I love old games and I did try to get into Wasteland a few years ago, but I just couldn't get past the interface. It's probably equivalent to someone of this generation trying to play the original Fallout; there's just so much to overcome, as fun as the games are.

A quick google shows that there are several Let's Play runs of Wasteland so I may give them a try. :)

Magic fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 16, 2012

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

The success of this is making me hope against hope for there to be a Master of Magic 2 kickstarter.

Don't tease me like that, my heart can't take the strain.

(I still put in about 40-80 hours of MoM every year, and have ever since the game first came out.)

Doc Hawkins posted:

Tried Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic yet? It's on GOG.

Is this any good? I picked up the first Age of Wonders and was pretty disappointed with it. Is AoW:Shadow Magic actually like MoM, or just AoW with more stuff added in? Just being a fantasy strategy game isn't enough, I want something that actually plays like MoM, but with multiplayer (and hotseat).

AxeManiac posted:

You got a lot of pent up hostility about this.

I'm sorry I got a bad first impression of a website I'd never heard of or if I stepped on somegoon's toes or something, but I'm hardly 'hostile' towards it, just totally uninterested in their service or announcement. The only reason I've even continued discussing it is because some people appeared really upset about my offhand comment, I'd prefer to just drop the subject entirely and stop derailing the Wasteland 2 thread about it.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 16, 2012

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

BobTheJanitor posted:

This happened to me, but with a utility knife. What the heck do I do to get the thing in an inventory (or just to drop it)?

edit: The "I" key on your keyboard opens an inventory. Of course, this isn't mentioned on the instructions screen, and there is no indication that an inventory screen even exists. :cool:

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 16, 2012

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Magic posted:

It will also be really interesting in the industry if this and Double Fine's kickstarter projects work out.

A golden age of niche games from developers free from the extorting grasp of big publishers who only want streamlined crap for the masses.

One can dream, right? :unsmith:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

We are already living in that age.

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Is this any good? I picked up the first Age of Wonders and was pretty disappointed with it. Is AoW:Shadow Magic actually like MoM, or just AoW with more stuff added in? Just being a fantasy strategy game isn't enough, I want something that actually plays like MoM, but with multiplayer (and hotseat).

I thought AoW was really really boring and I love Master of Magic. Shadow Magic is not that different either.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Tarquinn posted:

Please do. That game looks loving interesting.

I stole Fintilgin's thunder and created a thread. Input welcome.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

We are already living in that age.

Kickstarting of this level becoming more commonplace would make it even goldener.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Xik posted:

I stole Fintilgin's thunder and created a thread. Input welcome.

Thanks, actually. You're welcome to any thunder. :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Magic posted:

Call me a cynic, but, while the concept of a sequel is fantastic, I have major reservations about inXile pulling this off - the Bard's Tale, Hunted and their other projects have been very lacklustre.

Honestly the impression I get is that Fargo got really sick of the game industry, but it's the only place he has experience, so his company has been just trying to make a buck. The "rebooted" Bard's Tale was very obviously inspired by Diablo, Dark Alliance, etc. (had Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel come out by that point?) and nothing says "I'm broke please give me money" like making phone games. Never played Hunted, but it hardly looked terrible.

Maybe that's even more cynical, but I'm fairly steadfast in believing that this project is his attempt to get back to his roots as a person who makes great games.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The story of how fargo got into the game business itself is so ballsy that I can't help but wish him the best.

Fucker makes a game by himself... takes out an ad in a computer magazine... Then he starts calling stores trying to order the game he made... then stores start ordering the game he made... then his game actually sells a poo poo ton of copies in the stores.

Balls of steel.

As for the kids who pickpocket in fallout, if I recall correctly you could set dynamite to explode and keep walking past them until they stole it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Took a while, but we're past 1.2 million now.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I soooo want this to break 1.7million or so. Let's see how big that world can get!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am glad that at least one person who actually played The Bard's Tale posted a rebuttal about it. I actually thought the twist at the end was beautiful, as it had (to me) been foreshadowed pretty well throughout the game (you had to know something was up with your benefactor from the over-the-top earnestness), yet you were still not 100% sure what was going on until the end. Plus you say why did the "good guy" try to kill you? Well, what would you do if some heavily-armed jerk broke into your keep and killed all your dudes?

Rinkles posted:

Took a while, but we're past 1.2 million now.
Yeah, the Kickstarter unsurprisingly slowed down after the goal was met, but though it was pretty slow from like Midnight to 6 Pacific time, it is currently chugging along again sort of like yesterday, ~$10,000 more in the last half hour. And not from a high-level tier!

We had a good run as a stickied thread. But all good things must come to an end. EXCEPT FOR THE MEMORIES OF WASTELAND

Anyone who has not looked at the official forums, I think your time to be able to look at them without losing your mind has come to an end. Not because every post is crazy or anything, but because there are far more posts made now than anyone could possibly read unless it were literally there job to do so. But I suppose that might be the point.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Quarex posted:

Anyone who has not looked at the official forums, I think your time to be able to look at them without losing your mind has come to an end. Not because every post is crazy or anything, but because there are far more posts made now than anyone could possibly read unless it were literally there job to do so. But I suppose that might be the point.

The hot debate now seems to be rather or not to include a mod kit (I am very much for it :) )

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quarex posted:

Yeah, the Kickstarter unsurprisingly slowed down after the goal was met, but though it was pretty slow from like Midnight to 6 Pacific time, it is currently chugging along again sort of like yesterday, ~$10,000 more in the last half hour. And not from a high-level tier!

The (probably short lived) second wave.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Where's the chart from?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

http://zxcv.fi/~sluukkonen/wasteland-stats/

Run by Smol (goon). Supposedly doesn't work with some browsers. I'm fine with Chrome, though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Rinkles posted:

http://zxcv.fi/~sluukkonen/wasteland-stats/

Run by Smol (goon). Supposedly doesn't work with some browsers. I'm fine with Chrome, though.

Should work with other browsers now (tested with IE 9 and FF 11).

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Smol posted:

Should work with other browsers now (tested with IE 9 and FF 11).

Yup, finally showing me something in firefox.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
And here's a graph of the first week of Double Fine Kickstarter
https://sites.google.com/site/jansenjfa/DF_predict.jpg

I'm guessing the money stream will slow down soon but 2 million dollars is pretty much guaranteed. The final sum could grow much larger if they manage to keep up the hype with new milestones, rewards and such.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kennel posted:

I'm guessing the money stream will slow down soon but 2 million dollars is pretty much guaranteed. The final sum could grow much larger if they manage to keep up the hype with new milestones, rewards and such.

I wouldn't be that certain. Unless they drum up more hype, I'd expect the donations to really dry up during the next few days.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kennel posted:

I wouldn't be that certain. Unless they drum up more hype, I'd expect the donations to really dry up during the next few days.

How did that happen?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kennel posted:

They really should announce a 360/PS3 version if they reach 2. I'm pretty certain the game won't be so "fancy" (in terms of graphics) that the extra money they'd get wouldn't be significantly more than how much it would actually cost to port it. It'd be a win for everyone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone except the people who bought the console version, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Everyone except the people who bought the console version, yeah.

What's that supposed to mean, other than being a dumb PC Supremacy joke?

• Locked thread