Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho
I certainly don't claim to be an expert and implying that my gym is lovely because it awards belt colors is pretty ignorant. From what I've heard (and witnessed) Posener's Pankration/ Kel Lees AMA is one of the better gyms in East Van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Christoff posted:

So, for Muay Thai. Should I have two different gloves for bag work and for sparring? I don't think I'll be sparring too much at my gym.

I was just going to get these Fairtex 16oz gloves and use them for everything.

http://www.mmaindustries.com/Fairtex-Training-Gloves-16oz-BGV1-p/bgv1-16.htm

or should I get these for sparring

http://www.mmaindustries.com/Fairtex-Super-Sparring-Gloves-16oz-BGV5-p/bgv5-16.htm

and use the others above in 12 oz for bag work? I'm about 185 lbs if it matters.

16oz bag gloves are fine. In the early days, you'll need to focus more on good wrapping and wrist alignment on the bag anyways. After a good day's work, the thing that hurts the most should be your knuckles and nothing else.

Once you get to sparring, check with your coach about those gloves. They look fine, but maybe he'd want to you start off with something puffier, especially if you have tons of power and still have shaky control.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

PelirrojoLoco posted:

I certainly don't claim to be an expert and implying that my gym is lovely because it awards belt colors is pretty ignorant. From what I've heard (and witnessed) Posener's Pankration/ Kel Lees AMA is one of the better gyms in East Van.

Sorry, but it's a big flashing warning sign. Other warning signs include: demo video of a poo poo kicker, the fact that it has like a billion instructors for every martial arts available, for some reason a 'weapons' section and a yoga course.

If you want pure good muay thai in Vancouver:
http://www.kaisingthong.com/main.html

One of the best in the world.

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho
Well Joe Halfar and Jonas Kwiatkowski are both fighting out of Posener's for the super middleweight and heavyweight titles so I dunno what to tell ya. I agree that the website is pretty crappy though. The yoga is a new thing and not a bad idea really, flexibility is a good thing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KingColliwog posted:

interesting, to be more precise it's right there (may be a little lower)

Yep exactly my problem point as well. Weird that it's your left side too.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Xguard86 posted:

Yep exactly my problem point as well. Weird that it's your left side too.

Mine's left side too. Never had it on the right. Could it be that we take more impact on that side as we're facing right-handed people and get thrown to that side 95% of the time?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's not from throws, I'm a bjj guy and it's almost always ground work for me. Maybe something due to an imbalance, like you said

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Wow, I had no idea there were other Vancouver goons posting here.. I've been overseas for more than half of the last year which has kind of ruled out a membership at a gym... but I was leaning towards Kai Singthong if and when I know for certain whether I'll be in Vancouver for a good while.. too bad the location is absolutely awful to transit to (from Surrey.), so I was just working at home with my own 6" MT banana bag.

I looked at Kel Lee's/Posener's Pankration, but not showing fees up front doesn't give me a good impression at all: Kai Singthong's awful website is at least endearing and doesn't make it appear oriented as a business-first entity like Posener's.

Hopefully training on my own after ~275hrs/4 months of training in Thailand isn't ruining the basics of my technique..

I only use Twins 12oz gloves for bag work, but I've always sparred with gargantuan 18-20oz gloves. Things are bloody anchors.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

rhazes posted:

Wow, I had no idea there were other Vancouver goons posting here.. I've been overseas for more than half of the last year which has kind of ruled out a membership at a gym... but I was leaning towards Kai Singthong if and when I know for certain whether I'll be in Vancouver for a good while.. too bad the location is absolutely awful to transit to (from Surrey.), so I was just working at home with my own 6" MT banana bag.

I looked at Kel Lee's/Posener's Pankration, but not showing fees up front doesn't give me a good impression at all: Kai Singthong's awful website is at least endearing and doesn't make it appear oriented as a business-first entity like Posener's.

Hopefully training on my own after ~275hrs/4 months of training in Thailand isn't ruining the basics of my technique..

I only use Twins 12oz gloves for bag work, but I've always sparred with gargantuan 18-20oz gloves. Things are bloody anchors.
Kai Singthong sends fighters to major fights and stadiums in thailand, along with having connections to two very good camps in thailand which they heavily encourage all their fighters to go. One of the gyms in thailand trained yasuhito shirasu, the no-name japanese fighter who came out to beat Yodsaenklai in a unanimous decision. The school pumps out professional fighters. Master singthon is pretty much the head of the Canadian Muay Thai organization.

If you want pure muay thai, kai singthong is one of the best in canada. Maybe if you want MMA you'd go to Posener's Pankration. But seriously...

Pankration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXonwrQTwuk
Singthong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZzYCi6woyI

Guilty fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 17, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I've been doing some thinking on the basic stances in martial arts. One of the things that's immediately obvious is that the motion of the hips is vital. Go and do any martial art and very quickly you get taught that the power comes from the hips rotating, and your body mass rotating with it. So martial arts take advantage of this by standing quite side on to the opponent, right? Naginata is basically standing sideways to your opponent, and the power strikes involve you turning 180 into it. Fiore longsword is very similar if I recall, the centre line pretty much goes through the middle of your forward foot. Boxing is less sideways and you can actually draw a line between the feet to the opponent but you can still really swing your body into punches.

So I guess my question is, why is Muay Thai's stance so much broader? It must have something to do with the kicks but I can't quite work out in my head how it's advantageous. It seems you lose quite a bit of swing in punches compared to boxing. I guess I'm asking since I find the MT stance to be much less natural compared to boxing, and I want to know how it helps.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
To block low kicks. If you're not relatively squared, you won't be able to turn your leg out fast enough to block.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bleh, if I want to take Muay Thai seriously I might as well invest the money now, no?

Fairtex training gloves, 12oz. For bagwork and such.
http://www.mmaindustries.com/Fairtex-Training-Gloves-12oz-BGV1-p/bgv1-12.htm

Fairtex sparring gloves, 16oz. For sparring, duh.
http://www.mmaindustries.com/Fairtex-Super-Sparring-Gloves-16oz-BGV5-p/bgv5-16.htm

Fairtex handwraps
http://www.mmaindustries.com/Fairtex-Handwraps-HW1-p/hw1.htm

King shin guards
http://www.mmaindustries.com/King-Professional-Shin-Guards-KSGPL-p/king-ksgpl.htm

I mean I understand getting just a 16oz for everything but down the line the line if I'm going for another pair my 16oz would be pretty beat from bag work, no? What weight are you guys using for bag work?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

So I guess my question is, why is Muay Thai's stance so much broader? It must have something to do with the kicks but I can't quite work out in my head how it's advantageous.

You can't do roundhouses with much followthrough off the front leg in a side stance.

Christoff posted:

I mean I understand getting just a 16oz for everything but down the line the line if I'm going for another pair my 16oz would be pretty beat from bag work, no? What weight are you guys using for bag work?

At your current power and workrate, your first pair of gloves should last several months. Unless they're ultra lovely. After that, you'll be needing better gloves just to last against the bag. The gear that you have is plenty good for starting out MT. Most of your pain/bruising will be on your shins. They'll be way less used to the bag than your knuckles through gloves. Actually, while you're shopping, you might wanna get a pair of ankle supports to take the slap sting if you land too low.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I was thinking about getting this ankle sleeve with a compression wrap for my bum left ankle (bad high ankle sprain years ago, 3 surgeries)

http://www.mmaindustries.com/Shock-Doctor-Ankle-Sleeve-Compression-Wrap-Support-p/845.htm

but I don't think I need ankle supports for both ankles?

So just one pair of 16oz gloves for now, hmmm

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The things called supports don't really compress or support that much. Maybe help more if you're really puffed up. The one you linked seems much more suited for real support. I thought the best use was to take the sting off kicks when first starting out on the heavy bag.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I was doing some google-fu and someone mentioned that they're only used in Muay Thai fights to warm up the ankles and get taken off while the match goes on. And that otherwise it's just to look like some Muay Thai tough guy. And simply for the padding.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I bought some ankle sleeves because my shin guard chafed against my ankle a little bit, and it was irritating. This is a good deal more comfortable.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Antinumeric posted:

So I guess my question is, why is Muay Thai's stance so much broader? It must have something to do with the kicks but I can't quite work out in my head how it's advantageous. It seems you lose quite a bit of swing in punches compared to boxing. I guess I'm asking since I find the MT stance to be much less natural compared to boxing, and I want to know how it helps.

as said before;
-better to block kicks
-better to follow through on kicks
-better to defend takedown (!) I know not in muay thai but yes.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Christoff posted:

I was doing some google-fu and someone mentioned that they're only used in Muay Thai fights to warm up the ankles and get taken off while the match goes on. And that otherwise it's just to look like some Muay Thai tough guy. And simply for the padding.

I use then while training religiously, because the slap of the impact of the bag on skin seems much worse where there's incidental contact with the softer part of my foot/instep. Maybe I'm just a huge wuss.. the amount of padding is laughable, though.

Guilty posted:

Kai Singthong sends fighters to major fights and stadiums in thailand, along with having connections to two very good camps in thailand which they heavily encourage all their fighters to go. One of the gyms in thailand trained yasuhito shirasu, the no-name japanese fighter who came out to beat Yodsaenklai in a unanimous decision. The school pumps out professional fighters. Master singthon is pretty much the head of the Canadian Muay Thai organization.

If you want pure muay thai, kai singthong is one of the best in canada. Maybe if you want MMA you'd go to Posener's Pankration. But seriously...

Pankration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXonwrQTwuk
Singthong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZzYCi6woyI

What are the Thai gyms Kai Singthong recommends? Just curious if I've heard of them. My summer's quite busy (I'm overseas in Africa until May) but I might try to fit in Kai Singthong if I can, it sucks I might be leaving Vancouver indefinitely in late August or September.. makes it hard to want to commit.

I wouldn't consider myself talented at all, but I can pick apart the shadow boxing of the Posener's guys.. I'm assuming these are not beginner students, so where's the sparring? And holy cow, some of those shadow kicks are absolutely awful, unless their opponent is a stationary heavy bag, absolutely no area of attack. And regarding elbow strikes in shadow, your guard with your non-striking hand should be up high to defend against elbows yourself, should it not? I'm not trying to knock down your gym PelirrojoLoco, because those MT guys could just be some random new students who wanted to look tough and post on youtube, but this is what I'm seeing. And belt colors are a red flag in MT... MT is by nature I think, a very decentralized sport, with pretty much every fighter I've seen in Thailand one kind of champion or another, the World Muaythai Council doesn't really have much legitimacy (and I trained at the gym affiliated with it, the government and the military?)

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

KingColliwog posted:

interesting, to be more precise it's right there (may be a little lower)

Now I had to comment as well. I had this exact same injury in the exactly same place in November. I got mine after a hard takedown in MMA which landed me on my neck. This was a neck injury and the pain was in that same position in the back. That injury forced me to take two months off training. I started the recovery only after the physiotherapist opened the locks in my neck and spine. I don't do MMA anymore since it seems that those quick double leg takedowns were too much for me.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
You do sambo though right? Whats the wrestling like with sambo? Can you double leg?

e: I probably should have researched this a few weeks ago :doh:

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 17, 2012

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

rhazes posted:

I wouldn't consider myself talented at all, but I can pick apart the shadow boxing of the Posener's guys.. I'm assuming these are not beginner students, so where's the sparring? And holy cow, some of those shadow kicks are absolutely awful, unless their opponent is a stationary heavy bag, absolutely no area of attack. And regarding elbow strikes in shadow, your guard with your non-striking hand should be up high to defend against elbows yourself, should it not? I'm not trying to knock down your gym PelirrojoLoco, because those MT guys could just be some random new students who wanted to look tough and post on youtube, but this is what I'm seeing. And belt colors are a red flag in MT... MT is by nature I think, a very decentralized sport, with pretty much every fighter I've seen in Thailand one kind of champion or another, the World Muaythai Council doesn't really have much legitimacy (and I trained at the gym affiliated with it, the government and the military?)

Yeah I didn't watch it until you mentioned it, but the Pankration video was pretty bad. Maybe it's just a newer gym with mostly beginners. Seriously though, I don't know why they would want some of those guys on film for the internet to see.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

rhazes posted:

What are the Thai gyms Kai Singthong recommends? Just curious if I've heard of them. My summer's quite busy (I'm overseas in Africa until May) but I might try to fit in Kai Singthong if I can, it sucks I might be leaving Vancouver indefinitely in late August or September.. makes it hard to want to commit.

Kiatphontip is the one that's hardcore. I forgot the name of the vacation-y one, but it's more centralized. But really, the only difference between the two camps is that kiatphontip is located in the middle of nowhere so there's less distractions. They're both pretty hardcore from what I've seen. You can ask master Songlith

Also, about beginners getting gloves, I'd seriously recommend getting bag gloves first before sparring gloves. You need to build up muscle and arm endurance and stamina before you should think about getting in the ring. You really shouldn't be sparring much until you've got basics down, so you don't ingrain bad habits. Don't start out with 16 oz. gloves, you need to feel the impact of the bag.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Antinumeric posted:

I've been doing some thinking on the basic stances in martial arts. One of the things that's immediately obvious is that the motion of the hips is vital. Go and do any martial art and very quickly you get taught that the power comes from the hips rotating, and your body mass rotating with it. So martial arts take advantage of this by standing quite side on to the opponent, right? Naginata is basically standing sideways to your opponent, and the power strikes involve you turning 180 into it. Fiore longsword is very similar if I recall, the centre line pretty much goes through the middle of your forward foot. Boxing is less sideways and you can actually draw a line between the feet to the opponent but you can still really swing your body into punches.

Part of the reason why is because you can really only block serious kicks from a broad stance. If your opponent throws a hard kick and you have a linear stance, you're going to get turned, or even worse, tripped up.

The other part is that a good kick will actually bring the body forward, not necessarily rotate it (this is dumb, because it will of course rotate, but the rotation is more of a side effect than the intended effect). Although it doesn't seem like it, muay thai hips are supposed to go straight forward (like boxing punches), not rotate around an axis. If axis rotation were all that were required for power, Capoiera would be famous for its kicking power (it's not). There's a drill we sometimes do where you just throw knees (straight forward) and if your opponent is out of range, you need to be able to turn it into a kick. The power should barely be variable.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Christoff posted:

That's kind of bullshit. Ideally they're used to compress the tiny bones in your feet so nothing happens if you gently caress up a kick, just like handwraps/bandages are for the hand.

edit: sorry for the triple post, just checking the thread at various times of the day :T

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Guess who got ear guards today?

A++ best purchase in awhile. I just rolled for an hour and a half, and my ears don't hurt after! And you don't have to worry about them getting grinded by wrestlers... you can actually use your head to pin things better without the poor little flappers getting damaged.

I can't believe I waited this long to get them.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Fought my first competition today. Lost 3-2 on points; I swept him from half guard, but he eventually got back on top and passed my guard. Did well at the beginning, but things got away from me later. I'll try to get a video up later. My team, NVBJJ, walked away with 4 gold and a silver medal.

Also saw some fat 10 year old mount his much smaller opponent in no gi, stall like mad, and when he finally became active, he started looking for wrist locks. What the gently caress. Also had refs giving two points for passing to half guard. Reffing was pretty poo poo all tourney long.

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 18, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Had microdiscectomy this Friday to remove the herniation of the lumbar disc that was pressing on my nerves into my right leg. Leg feels great but my back is very sore. Try to avoid back surgery if you can. I'm shuffling around but can't bend or twist or lift. One month until physical therapy and 3-6 months before any kind of non-PT exercise. Probably no real rolling for 6 month to a year. I'm going to just focus on drilling and asking to help assistant teach for a while.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Kumo Jr. posted:

Guess who got ear guards today?
Did you get the Cliff Keens?

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Yuns posted:

Did you get the Cliff Keens?

Nope, company is 'Brute Headgear'. They're quite soft and plastic spongy... relatively comfortable.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Brutes make pretty decent headgear. I've got a pair, and no complaints here.

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho

rhazes posted:

Well the guys in the video were fairly new, I dunno. It's definitely a more MMA/ pankration oriented gym over pure muay thai, but honestly I don't have the experience or knowledge to compare it to. I know that there's some really good guys training there and the atmosphere in the gym is good, other than that I can't say. They have a pretty good rep with the other gyms in the area as well so... *shrugs*

How would you say Kevin Lam from the video looked? He's just had his first ring fight (which he won by tko, knocking out his opponents tooth with a head kick), and I train with him a lot.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

PelirrojoLoco posted:

How would you say Kevin Lam from the video looked? He's just had his first ring fight (which he won by tko, knocking out his opponents tooth with a head kick), and I train with him a lot.

Kevin looked a lot better than the others, aside from the weird slapping thing he's doing with his right hand. He's the only one who looked like he was comfortable with his hands and footwork.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I used to do Judo, but due to multiple concussions caused by work and 3 auto accidents (long story), I'm retiring from contact sports so that I can still do my job. I'm considering Aikido. I know "try before you buy" is discouraged (I dove straight into TKD and Judo previously), but this place is close by and doesn't appear to be sketch. Yeah, the MARCH MADNESS thing looks cheesy as hell, but it also looks like this place is a lot more welcoming based on my conversation with a sensei by phone. I really lucked out on getting a very supportive Judo dojo (I'm really not into MMA, I'm just not into the whole scene around it). Its Google reviews are mostly flawless and the Facebook page has a lot of positive reviews. I'm always skeptical of those (you can scrub that stuff easily), so I'm soliciting the opinions of any aikidoka in here.

http://www.dcaikido.com/

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Trying before buying is definitely encouraged, not discouraged. Whats your actual goal by the way?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ordered my Kings shin protectors, shock doctor ankle wrap, fairtex 16oz thai training gloves, and 1 pair of fairtex handwraps. Thanks dudes for all the help! Ready to get serious.

Where do I buy my Muay Thai rank belt?

Kidding.

No but really where can I get some nice training/gym shorts that aren't all super flashy and such? (or $60) Apparently short-shorts aren't cool these days and it seems all athletic shorts at most sports type stores are knee length or more.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 19, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Christoff posted:

Ordered my Kings shin protectors, shock doctor ankle wrap, fairtex 16oz thai training gloves, and 1 pair of fairtex handwraps. Thanks dudes for all the help! Ready to get serious.

Depending on how often you train, you might want to get more than one pair of hand and ankle wraps. That poo poo gets nasty pretty quickly. (I have a different color for each day of the week~)

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Got my orange belt. Didn't feel I deserved it after my horrible sambo performance but I got it anyway. Another tiny step.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Nierbo posted:

Trying before buying is definitely encouraged, not discouraged. Whats your actual goal by the way?

To re-enter the MA world for fitness and fun as before, but I am particularly interested in the mental balance aspects of Aikido, since my accidents left me much more unbalanced and stressed than before. If I can do this in an environment that incorporates personal growth, competition, and camaraderie, all the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

you may also want to look into tai-chi and yoga (the more serious yoga places not the gym workout kind)for a physical activity that is like a martial art but won't bang you around.

• Locked thread