Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

the black husserl posted:

Whoa, I didn't even notice there already was a kickstarter for what is basically Creatures 3

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1508284443/grandroids-real-artificial-life-on-your-pc?ref=category

Just shows how many unique games can get made if we support this model!

WAIT WHAT CREATURES 4 HOLY gently caress :awesome:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Fintilgin posted:

I can't imagine trying to have to sort out the good ideas from the entitlement[...]

This is a silly PR myth that somehow stuck in sycophantic `game journalism' and fanboy circles. No serious business reporters have bought into that nonsense (quite the contrary).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I thought "troll face" was the same thing as "forever alone" guy, and I have now learned the difference thanks to Blooshoo's advice. I will now try to forget all of this entirely. Though I was surprised to learn that FUUUUUUU did not start here, as I could have sworn it was in some MSPaint things you hate the most thread.

HotCanadianChick posted:

It even has precedent in 80's style post-apoc fiction:

Wow. That is kind of amazing. Now I am staring to think it should be EXCLUSIVELY gay relationships in Wasteland 2! It totally fits the leather fetishism.

And yeah, some of the ideas people are throwing around on the forums are super-crazy, but Brian Fargo has already said "welp, we are making Wasteland 2, about a group of Desert Rangers in the American Southwest," so I do not think people demanding that it take place in Russia and be about a single character's journey to find romance are going to have much traction.

Vault Zero
May 3, 2007
a product of The Coca-Cola Company

Rinkles posted:

I also don't think fans are actually excited at the prospect of killing children.

Those little sons of bitches in Highpool had it coming.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Quarex posted:

Wow. That is kind of amazing. Now I am staring to think it should be EXCLUSIVELY gay relationships in Wasteland 2! It totally fits the leather fetishism.

They aren't gay, they are bisexual. All motorcycle rape gangs are bisexual in the apocalypse. Being straight or gay is cutting out fully half of your motorcycle rape options.

Bisexual motorcycle rape gangs: You are getting hosed.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
A comment someone made earlier in the thread had me wondering, but I did not want to derail (yet)--someone said Fallout: Tactics has been redeemed in the eyes of the Raging Internet Crowd? What happened? How did that ever go down? Did the love for squad-based tactical combat games slowly eat into the loathing for the game not being Fallout 3?

Vault Zero posted:

Those little sons of bitches in Highpool had it coming.
Highpool basically scarred me forever, and I think from the second time I played the game, I never again did anything there besides fix the engine or whatever and find the leather jacket. I could not deal with the inability to help Bobby and his dog :(

Edit:

Boogaleeboo posted:

They aren't gay, they are bisexual. All motorcycle rape gangs are bisexual in the apocalypse. Being straight or gay is cutting out fully half of your motorcycle rape options.

Bisexual motorcycle rape gangs: You are getting hosed.
Hahahahah. I think that picture and this post should end the discussion of this issue--"there is only Omnisexual in the Wasteland."

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Boogaleeboo posted:

Either way, Wez gets really pissed when his boyfriend gets killed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Quarex posted:

Hahahahah. I think that picture and this post should end the discussion of this issue--"there is only Omnisexual in the Wasteland."

Well, even that concept was old in 1982...

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Toecutter's gang raped both the girl and boy in Mad Max.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Young Freud posted:

Somewhere on the official boards, during a discussion of 1950s versus 1980s (yes, some people want Wasteland 2 to be 1950s themed to help make it feel like Fallout, though I imagine many of them are trolling), something struck me--it is kind of amazing just how much good post-apocalyptic source material came out of the 1980s. I used to think it was entirely The Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, but I am constantly discovering new things that really suggest that was the single most important decade to own an assault rifle and a spiked helmet but no pants.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Quarex posted:

On the other hand, I have it on good authority that the gun is good and the penis is evil.

That's more of a 70s post-apocalypse, though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Quarex posted:

My whole point was that I imagine the concepts of gay and straight will matter about as much as the concepts of Irish and German by the time of Wasteland 2.

I had darn well better be able to make up my ancestral self-insert or there'll be hell to pay :colbert:

In all seriousness, though, I'm thrilled to see how much they've raised so far, and will donate as soon as I can free up some money.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CHILD MURDER FOREVER :colbert:

My Skyrim experience was somewhat diminished when I went to waste the Dark Brotherhood, and the child member had mysteriously vanished.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I found out about this during the middle of my playthrough of the Bard's Tale trilogy I do every few years, so that seemed kind of fitting.

I may have to put 3 on hold to run through Wasteland again though.

My sense of nostalgia is triggered way too easily.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Doc Hawkins posted:

On the other hand, I have it on good authority that the gun is good and the penis is evil.

That's more of a 70s post-apocalypse, though.

Where is my Zardoz RPG Kickstarter.

Where is it.

Take all my money.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Toecutter's gang raped both the girl and boy in Mad Max.
So is this some highbrow homoerotic post-apocalyptic stuff?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
This makes me wonder if I could start a kickstarter to fund a copy of photoshop and a decent budget tablet and art supplies. A man can dream, can't he?

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

Ularg posted:

This makes me wonder if I could start a kickstarter to fund a copy of photoshop and a decent budget tablet and art supplies. A man can dream, can't he?

Only if you create a kickass game with it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ularg posted:

If you have anything vaguely proving you've been a student in the last 6 months you can just pick up a student discounted suite, that's what I did.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Casimir Radon posted:

If you have anything vaguely proving you've been a student in the last 6 months you can just pick up a student discounted suite, that's what I did.

It's still a couple hundred dollars, but yeah.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It's still a couple hundred dollars, but yeah.
~$400 for a suite of professional programs, when Photoshop is $500 by itself is a pretty good deal.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm around $34 in debt after having to drop out from school. I don't think I'd have the money to pay my rent every month, much less a student version of photoshop.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Dewgy posted:

Where is it.

Take all my money.

I will max out whatever stats are necessary to grant your character the skill shown below.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Casimir Radon posted:

~$400 for a suite of professional programs, when Photoshop is $500 by itself is a pretty good deal.

Of course it is. I was just noting that it's still a non-trivial sum.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dewgy posted:

Where is it.

Take all my money.

The 70s had a small but potent share of sci-fi-disaster all it's own: Zardoz, Logan's Run, A Boy and His Dog, Westworld, Body Snatchers, THX 1138...

e: Man who fell to Earth! I mean, Bowie's essentially a traveler from a post-apocalyptic future, right?

If you're interested in pen-and-paper RPGs, I highly recommend Apocalypse World.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 17, 2012

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Doc Hawkins posted:

The 70s had a small but potent share of sci-fi-disaster all it's own: Zardoz, Logan's Run, A Boy and His Dog, Westworld, Body Snatchers, THX 1138...

I thought you wrote down Wasteland. :lol:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Jason Thomas did not have many complaints about his 65 years on this planet; sure, it was a little harder to get up the stairs than it used to be, but he was still in fine shape for a retiree. A very recent retiree, from a long and fulfilling career as a high-school math teacher. Still, the extra free time felt somewhat uncomfortable to someone who had never "settled down." He had a string of relationships over the years; some serious, some not-so-serious, never long-lasting. No woman particularly struck his fancy the way his high-school sweetheart Charlotte had. Once he convinced her to go out with him, he had spent almost all his free time with her; through the years of high school, and even after he followed her to college, he simply could not get enough of his beloved Charlotte.

During Jason's senior year, Charlotte worried about Jason--he was spending more and more time playing games than being with her. But he had complaints of his own--she had started working dozens of lonely overtime hours a month at her job instead of spending that time with him, and he could not even see why she needed the extra money anyway. Their relationship was strained; yet though he found himself arguing with Charlotte much more frequently than ever before, he was basically happy, and still looked forward to them moving in together.

But late one night, when Charlotte was working overtime, she began having trouble breathing. She was unconscious after only a few seconds, before she could even get to her phone, and died well before the other employees found her upon their arrival the next morning. Jason's personality changed that day. He felt that any amount of time spent in front of a computer was time not spent truly living; every moment he spent playing games was a moment he had spent away from the only person with whom he had ever truly felt a connection. He sold his game collection and his computers, and was glad to be rid of them, trading in his life of exploring virtual worlds for a life of exploring the real world. He never regretted his decision.

Well, not regretted it, no, but still, he suddenly found himself with 24 hours of free time every day--and less drive to go conquer the real world than he had when he was younger. So it was not long before Jason tracked down a working Windows 8 emulator and a copy of Wasteland 2, so he could relive his misspent youth for just a little while. He distinctly remembered how much he had been looking forward to the game, all those years ago, back when things like new games still seemed important.

As he explored the Nevadan desert, he smiled to think of how he had once considered donating thousands of dollars to the game's development, all for something as meaningless as having a forgettable vanity reference to yourself thrown in. He could still remember Charlotte's wide-eyed horror when he told her that he was thinking about donating. It was while he was half-lost in one of those memories, laughing at his old self, that his wrinkled hands on the mouse maneuvered his party into the abandoned fallout shelter, and his arthritic finger clicked on a curious faintly glowing icon in a dark and difficult-to-access corridor.

"Loosening the small ring from the concrete where it has lay for a century or more, you brush off its thick coating of mortar dust, and can just barely make out an inscription: 'Maybe this will get you to stop playing this dumb game for a while--Will You Marry Me, Jason T.? =) Love, Charlotte.'"

I know, Animal Crossing Mom. I know, I am not a good writer. But Torrent and I talked about how depressing this would be and I felt compelled to write something up so everyone could think about how depressing it would be.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Just upped my original donation of 50 to 100 dollars, I decided I really wanted the premium edition box. I think I'm a bit of a sucker and my wife isn't going to be happy I'm dropping 100 dollars on a video game.

oh well.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Quarex posted:

Heart breaking :words:

Ugh, this is why I exclusively read fiction which I know ends in happiness and where the "good guys" always win.

e: VVVVVV

Quarex posted:

No worries, I actually based the death on the real-life death of someone I loved! That makes it less depressing, right?

You are a terrible, terrible person. :cry:

Xik fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 17, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lazaruise posted:

Just upped my original donation of 50 to 100 dollars, I decided I really wanted the premium edition box. I think I'm a bit of a sucker and my wife isn't going to be happy I'm dropping 100 dollars on a video game.
Hey, you did not put down the $250 for the autographed version or anything. I mean, why would you want the signatures of the designers of Wasteland 2 on a game box you could display in pristine condition forever because you had an extra copy to open instead?

(Just tell your wife that this is, like, way more important than a video game--or even than TWO video games)

Xik posted:

Ugh, this is why I exclusively read fiction which I know ends in happiness and where the "good guys" always win.
Yay I broke someone's heart :keke: Sorry, actually. Particularly since I am basically with you that I do not really find it enjoyable to read non-happy fiction. Though it is more that I prefer to get my fiction from games, and those generally do not end unhappily.

No worries, I actually based the death on the real-life death of someone I loved! That makes it less depressing, right?

Xik posted:

You are a terrible, terrible person. :cry:
Probably :smith:

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 17, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

So is this some highbrow homoerotic post-apocalyptic stuff?

Yes, if the name "William S. Burroughs" didn't bring that up. Supposedly, David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders were inspired heavily from the novel, with Ziggy's androgynous and transgressive look pretty much taken straight from the description of the boys.

Russell Mulcahy of Highlander fame attempted to create a film adaptation, with Duran Duran doing the soundtrack, but the only thing that came out of it was the video for the song "Wild Boys", which is also inspired by the novel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCWyYOOS8FQ

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quarex posted:

I am glad that at least one person who actually played The Bard's Tale posted a rebuttal about it. I actually thought the twist at the end was beautiful, as it had (to me) been foreshadowed pretty well throughout the game (you had to know something was up with your benefactor from the over-the-top earnestness), yet you were still not 100% sure what was going on until the end. Plus you say why did the "good guy" try to kill you? Well, what would you do if some heavily-armed jerk broke into your keep and killed all your dudes?

Getting into his keep was the final act of the game, the campaign of attempted murder against the protagonist is the entire game.

the Professor
Nov 28, 2002

pi pi

Lazaruise posted:

oh well.

Just tell her you're paying that much for a video game you won't be playing for like a year and a half, that'll ease her mind.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

the Professor posted:

Just tell her you're paying that much for a video game you won't be playing for like a year and a half, that'll ease her mind.

Don't forget to add that the game doesn't even exist yet. It'll all make perfect sense to her then, that you are paying $100 for a non-existent video game.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
STANDARD NEWS UPDATE!!!

:toot: :siren: $1,250,000 :siren: :toot:

Let all rejoice! A vaguely-worded "more things in the game" shall be ours! :regd04: . :regd05: . :regd06: . :regd07: . :regd08: . :regd09: . :regd10: . :regd11: . :regd12:

Seriously, no-one has made a :regd12: yet? Astounding. Do people not hate newbies anymore? Yay!

Note there was never a smiley making fun of 2003s :waycool:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What's the story behind the 2010 reg smilie? Obviously you can see why I am curious.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ularg posted:

What's the story behind the 2010 reg smilie? Obviously you can see why I am curious.
All I can figure is that someone in 2010 knew what was coming and decided to awesome-up their own registration year before The Old Generation got the hankering to ridicule them instead.

Or, you know, maybe Dio was somehow seen as the pinnacle of ridicule at that point.

Edit: I would also just like to make it clear that :regd08: is still one of my favorite animated pictures ever.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 17, 2012

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

'D10' looks like 'Dio' would be my guess. Much like Regdog.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Chairchucker posted:

'D10' looks like 'Dio' would be my guess. Much like Regdog.
You ... are so brilliant.

I even figured out that was why it was Reg-D11/DLL, yet somehow I could not extend this line of thinking any further. Possibly because I am a replicant :smith:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I got all the way to the end of this thread and I'm disappointed that Quarex hasn't started his LP yet. He needs to make an LP that infects us all with his enthusiasm and shows us all how to play the original game so we can try it for ourselves and then take to the Wasteland 2 forums en masse to shout down the "Van Buren" faction, because Quarex has shown us how much better the original was and we can no longer deny the truth.

Also, inXile's Bard's Tale was awesome. I really want to play through it a third time, but I've been waiting for Steam to put it on sale. Why won't you put it on sale, Steam? I thought we had something special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Kharmakazy posted:

That would make japanese rape simulators nearly unplayable!

Fallout 3 and new vegas had an extreme lack of being able to shoot people in the dick. That's the trick to playing fallout 1/2. Always aim for the dick.

Shotgun to the dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXfxCZOeF6k

• Locked thread