Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Grandpa Pap posted:

I will max out whatever stats are necessary to grant your character the skill shown below.

Doll tossing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Quarex posted:

Seriously, no-one has made a :regd12: yet? Astounding. Do people not hate newbies anymore? Yay!

Note there was never a smiley making fun of 2003s :waycool:

Didn't the whole thing start as a backlash against the influx of users in '04 who came only for the file forums?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The official forums are becoming a cesspoll of trolls, counter-trolls, and idiocy.

Why oh why can't the internet be the benevolent dictatorship/police state we have on SA? :smith:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I hope I'm not the only one wishing for lots of crazy melee weapon options in Wasteland 2. I mean anyone crazy enough to use a sledgehammer against well-armed gangsters and security guards should be crazy enough to use pretty much anything from Road Rash.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I hope I'm not the only one wishing for lots of crazy melee weapon options in Wasteland 2. I mean anyone crazy enough to use a sledgehammer against well-armed gangsters and security guards should be crazy enough to use pretty much anything from Road Rash.

poo poo I forgot how much fun road rash was. Also skitchin.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Al! posted:

Doll tossing?

In these enlightened modern times, we call them "dames," not "dolls."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

New email update:

Brian Fargo posted:

What an incredible week this has been. The outpouring of support and faith is nothing like I have ever had before (except maybe from my Mom), and for the first time in years it feels good to be in the games business. I have always loved both making and playing games, but the business side of it has been painful at times. In fact, there were a couple times the frustration with publishers was so high I considered stopping. It just seemed like the era of purity was over. Even when Interplay was a large company there was such a positive vibe with everyone pulling in the same direction with a real passion for their job. I frequently run into the folks I worked with in those days, and this same memory of those times remains with them.

One friend of mine who worked with me there said recently he felt that in the beginning of the industry all the nerds were in charge, but then as the industry grew it changed, and now the guys that picked on the nerds got back on top. I think there was some great truth to that. We all hope this movement is bigger than just Tim Schafer or Brian Fargo as we want to get power back into the developers hands again. And the unbelievable Indie scene shows that there is momentum in that direction. The development community continues to pull itself together to ensure their success. They share tools, they share statistics, they share ideas, and the biggest donators in Kickstarter are always developers. All of this reminds me of the freshness the industry had in the late 80′s through mid 90′s in which creativity was being directed only by the gamers. The gamers will always rule at the end of the day.

You will probably hear me thanking you all a hundred more times, but again, thanks for giving us this opportunity to do what we do best. Make games!

Ah, back in the good old days, etc. The rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia always make the past seem so much better, but the gaming industry always had problems. They just shift around and romanticizing a specific period is kind of a dumb thing to do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Anyone who's been around as long as Fargo knows this. I'm sure this particular update is less about just reminiscing and more about getting more money in and getting more people excited about video game kickstarters.

I do agree a bit though, I mean the jocks got back on top? You can take the nerd out of high school but...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.blackgate.com/2012/03/17/art-of-the-genre-the-pillaging-of-kickstarter/

Someone is a bit grumpy.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Saoshyant posted:

New email update:

Ah, back in the good old days, etc. The rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia always make the past seem so much better, but the gaming industry always had problems. They just shift around and romanticizing a specific period is kind of a dumb thing to do.

Maybe but this isn't just some 21-year-old PC gamer romanticizing a time that he wasn't around for. It's a guy who has been in the industry since the old days, who actually remembers working for the industry when it was nascent.

I sing of ARTS...
Mar 6, 2012

by angerbutt

Saoshyant posted:

They just shift around and romanticizing a specific period is kind of a dumb thing to do.

Not really, it was a lot different years ago. It's the same in most industries where consolidation occurs. If you're in your twenties at least you should remember how many more companies were making poo poo on their own and how you didn't need to sell millions to be a success worthy of investing in (Gilbert mentions this in the thirty minute sit down with Tim Schafer).

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

This guy is saying that inXile has funded no projects but they have?

Also Before Tim shaffer's thing (which I didn't fund I kinda don't care about adventure games) and this I never heard of kickstarter, and I definitely will keep an eye on it now an kick some money into it when ever I have some to spare.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

"When you back Double Fine, you aren't backing a independent artist, you are backing COMMUNISM."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Like, does dumbfuck think people were coming with some Kickstarter dollars and were thinking of funding some 2 man project to combine chess and poker in space, but then they saw "Wasteland 2" and now they are going to back that and smaller Kickstarters are out money?

Because the way it really works is people see Double Fine or Wasteland 2 and they think poo poo, let me get on that....and then a few minutes later they think "Huh....Kickstarter". Because they'd never loving heard of Kickstarter before and never gave much thought to the idea in general.

Big names bring attention to a small project, which leads to more money for everyone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ha ha look at this rear end in a top hat acting like Rich loving Burlew's kickstarter is the gold standard for honest men using kickstarter to do good things.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Saoshyant posted:

New email update:

To be fair, the guy was the CEO and founder of a major studio and publisher in the late 80s and 90s. Whether it was really a better time for gaming in general there's absolutely no doubt it was a better time for him so I don't think it's rose-tinted glasses so much as his own personal vantage point means the struggles he has now were not struggles he had then. That others then had similar struggles to what he has now doesn't play into it because he was the one in power then. The jock/nerd stuff is stupid, but again he got pushed out of his own company through a combination of shady and unlucky business breaks so I can't really hold that against him.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

I like how in his prosecution of inXile he gives an example of all the other professional games they've had hand in making, specifically, Planescape: Torment. And he uses this as a reason for us to not give them money?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Hahaha, what the hell? "What did Double Fine ever do to deserve all that money? They only got all that money because they have deep enough pockets to make an impressive promo video."

I'm not even misquoting him for comedic effect, I've read birther conspiracy theorists that are more grounded in reality than this guy.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Wake up sheeple, can't you see these capitalist dogs are infesting our system and literally stealing money from hard working independent artists. :rolleyes:

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Just had to crunch some numbers, but I sent them my $65. It's up over 1,200,000 now.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Oh man, read the comments. This guy responds to everybody, and he can't seem to get it through his thick skull that these projects are not taking dollars away from other Kickstarter projects.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

notZaar posted:

Oh man, read the comments. This guy responds to everybody, and he can't seem to get it through his thick skull that these projects are not taking dollars away from other Kickstarter projects.

If anything, this made me more likely to support other kickstarter projects, because kickstarter wasn't even a blip on my radar before Doublefine and inXile put up their names. Those two lending their names to kickstarter gives it legitimacy.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

How did you find that place anyways?

The design of that site looks awful, like some 90-era Geocities thing (thankfully the color selection isn't eyebleeding, but that's the only plus).

Granted, it seems to be dealing with some particular cheap fantasy topics so maybe it's fitting.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Time to pledge. I want the native OS X version so badly...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Somebody post a comment there including all those kickstarter charts that had huge surges after the Double Fine kickstarter went live.

Thing is, he just seems to be completely ignorant about the issues he's talking about. He has no idea about the publisher-developer relationship and why they need kickstarter to do the projects they need to do. And then automatically assumes that any registered company is loaded with money.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It shouldn't surprise me that someone capable of such astoundingly worthless analysis would misunderstand the relative value of various creative projects.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

re: oots

"The U.S. government is going to want their share, probably 25% or higher, so take away another minimum of $313,500"

is he assuming that all that is pure income for Rich Burlew and not some other kind of money stream for something like "Rich Burlew LLC".

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

fritz posted:

re: oots

"The U.S. government is going to want their share, probably 25% or higher, so take away another minimum of $313,500"

is he assuming that all that is pure income for Rich Burlew and not some other kind of money stream for something like "Rich Burlew LLC".

He just straight-up has no idea how taxes are calculated.

The printing expenses he incurs are legitimate business expenses and would almost certainly be deductible. The government wouldn't be stepping in to take their cut until he files, and even then it'll only be on his net taxable income and not his gross revenue. Even if he files as an individual and hasn't established a separate business entity for OOTS, he wouldn't be paying taxes on gross revenue, and certainly not at point of receipt.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I presume someone in this thread will take the time to show him the Kickstarter-effect charts and the way taxes work, and it will probably have no impact, but hey!

Re: Brian Fargo Jocks/Nerds: I really think he has a point, because when he started (remember, he ran a literal one-man operation in 1981, doing the art and programming and promotion for The Demon's Forge), a nerd or a group of nerds could get together, pool their money or take out a loan, use their nerd-skills, and make enough money to produce another game or even eventually to start a real company.

Now, the indie game scene has some people who are doing the same thing, but the "top-quality" games are all backed by corporate people who care most about money (because that is what they are paid to do, to be fair). Brian Fargo wants there to be a level between "the new tiny handful of people making things they love and hoping to get lucky" and "the behemoth conglomerates with budgets ranging from the tens to hundreds of millions per game."

seorin posted:

I got all the way to the end of this thread and I'm disappointed that Quarex hasn't started his LP yet. He needs to make an LP that infects us all with his enthusiasm and shows us all how to play the original game so we can try it for ourselves and then take to the Wasteland 2 forums en masse to shout down the "Van Buren" faction, because Quarex has shown us how much better the original was and we can no longer deny the truth.
Oh no :( Failure :( It is true, it would probably help. I saw a link to a Let's Play posted to either No Mutants Allowed or some other forum, but obviously we cannot vouch for its Something Awful Stamp of Quality(tm).

notZaar posted:

Didn't the whole thing start as a backlash against the influx of users in '04 who came only for the file forums?
That is probably true, and is probably also why they were closed at the end of 2004. And then it was so much fun to keep making fun of people that it continued through 2008 until getting delightfully self-referential. As did all things.

If only Eminem's hip-hop crew had maintained its popularity, this year would be so obvious.

signalnoise posted:

If anything, this made me more likely to support other kickstarter projects, because kickstarter wasn't even a blip on my radar before Doublefine and inXile put up their names. Those two lending their names to kickstarter gives it legitimacy.
Yeah, I had to stop myself from donating to a handful of other things because I could not actually afford to support Wasteland 2, let alone High Score Third Edition or whatever else I saw before closing the browser tab out of horror and shame.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

How did you find that place anyways?

The design of that site looks awful, like some 90-era Geocities thing (thankfully the color selection isn't eyebleeding, but that's the only plus).

Granted, it seems to be dealing with some particular cheap fantasy topics so maybe it's fitting.

It's a site for a small magazine that specializes on Sword & Sorcery. You don't go into that for the money. They have decent articles/reviews every once in a while.

Just not this one.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I love Wasteland. I love this thread. I love Quarex and the OP. I love all the goons that donated. I'm going to Kickstarter right now and backing this and if I could love just one more thing it would be my renewed hope for humankind.

:flashfap:

Screw going to the pubs and getting drunk. I'm going to find my Wasteland game box and re-read everything right now (and get drunk).

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

I didn't even play the original Wasteland (although i certainly was an active gamer at those ancient times) but considering Fargo being a household-name for a number of classic rpgs and really liking the idea of getting smaller projects started without the overwhelming influence of big publishers i also did my part for this kickstarter.

I even opted for the closed beta option although i doubt that will be available over steam here in Germany considering our harsh rating policy.

Some other games mentioned in this thread such as Burntime or Road War 2000 did bring back some great memories, i hope we see some kind of revival of those classic game mechanics with maybe a little more polish and some fresh ideas. Looking forward to that....

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If I had Steve Jackson's email, I would pester him nonstop about getting up a Kickstarter for an online INWO game. gently caress, I'd play it even if it was a drat Facebook app.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
SenseLess, thanks for your donation. I hope you do get access to the beta; maybe betas can avoid the rating system? Probably not.

crashdome posted:

I love Wasteland. I love this thread. I love Quarex and the OP. I love all the goons that donated. I'm going to Kickstarter right now and backing this and if I could love just one more thing it would be my renewed hope for humankind.

Screw going to the pubs and getting drunk. I'm going to find my Wasteland game box and re-read everything right now (and get drunk).
YAAAAAY! That is the spirit.

Between the comments I have gotten about doing a Let's Play in this thread and in private messages, I am feeling increasingly like a Bad Wasteland 2ian. I promise I am weighing my real life not-getting-kicked-out-of-school obligations versus the possibility of beginning one before the Kickstarter ends and some crucial momentum is lost.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Sadly, I don't think there is anyone to pester about making a new snes style Ogre battle game... I don't think squeenix is going to be kickstartering anything in the forseeable future.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

precision posted:

If I had Steve Jackson's email, I would pester him nonstop about getting up a Kickstarter for an online INWO game. gently caress, I'd play it even if it was a drat Facebook app.

It just struck me.

Imagine the parallel universe where Steve Jackson was totally cool with the violent Fallout intro...

Bethesda's Fallout 3 would have been a licensed GURPS game. :stare:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kharmakazy posted:

Sadly, I don't think there is anyone to pester about making a new snes style Ogre battle game... I don't think squeenix is going to be kickstartering anything in the forseeable future.
It is sad to think of the hundreds of cast-aside game series that are dearly beloved by thousands of loyal gamers.

Fintilgin posted:

It makes me wonder if Steve Jackson even pays enough attention to the electronic gaming industry to have thought about this. There is a chance that he genuinely would not care that he probably missed out on huge paydays as a result, since he seems pretty content to run his perpetually-reasonably-successful business forever. I remember reading about how much he loves that Munchkin makes him so much money, so he can funnel that money into other properties he actually wants to produce--the ones that never make a return on their investment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fintilgin posted:

It just struck me.

Imagine the parallel universe where Steve Jackson was totally cool with the violent Fallout intro...

Holy poo poo I never actually read up on the link between the two before. I really just want an INWO Online.

I think we must be in the parallel universe if we're in the one where the guy who made all the "politically incorrect" stuff in INWO backed out of a deal because of the Pip-Boy pictures and an execution scene. What a weird dude.

edit: I would totally also settle for Munchkin Online, because I don't care what anyone says, that game is loving fun.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I may have been late to the party, but I went ahead and pledged to this. I was born a little bit too late to experience Wasteland, but I remember reading the legend on my old Computer Gaming World magazines, and I love the hell out of Fallout 1 and 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

Between the comments I have gotten about doing a Let's Play in this thread and in private messages, I am feeling increasingly like a Bad Wasteland 2ian. I promise I am weighing my real life not-getting-kicked-out-of-school obligations versus the possibility of beginning one before the Kickstarter ends and some crucial momentum is lost.

Please post a test post of the Let's Play in the Sandcastle in the Let's Play forum so people can tell you if you're on the right track there.

They'll let you know if there's a better technique for doing screenshots or if there's a problem right away.

And they say it's good to go, post a thread in there and link it from here, I know I'd be interested in reading it.

• Locked thread