Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

De Nomolos posted:

To re-enter the MA world for fitness and fun as before, but I am particularly interested in the mental balance aspects of Aikido, since my accidents left me much more unbalanced and stressed than before. If I can do this in an environment that incorporates personal growth, competition, and camaraderie, all the better.

All martial arts can lead to mental balance, inner stability, and contribute greatly to personal philosophy. It's up to the practitioners to pursue their chosen path. Pick something fun, something that you will be passionate about. Skill and balance will come along with your growing love for your art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Try BJJ if you're worried about concussions. It's Judo for sickly, unathletic weirdos that somehow turned out to be more useful than Judo.

MT guy, just get cheap running shorts. MMA shorts if you want something more expensive, MT shorts look atrocious.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Guilty posted:

Depending on how often you train, you might want to get more than one pair of hand and ankle wraps. That poo poo gets nasty pretty quickly. (I have a different color for each day of the week~)

Yeah I just wanted to try the fairtex wraps and see how I they like them. I goggled wraps and it seemed everyone was partial to only one brand. Boone and hayabusa were the other popular brands.

As far as anklets. Are they really needed? I got the compression wrap because I have a bum left ankle. I probably won't even always wear it and use it more for jiu jitsu. I know you guys mentioned anklets for the slap/sting on the bag when you hit the wrong spot.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paul Pot posted:

It's Judo for sickly, unathletic weirdos that somehow turned out to be more useful than Judo.

...in a ruleset that greatly favors BJJ skills over Judo skills

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Here are some highlights from the National Collegiate Judo Tournament from last week

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

nice video, but how come I see yellow vs brown or yellow vs black belt fights? At worst I can see a green vs brown but some of these matchups were weird

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Paul Pot posted:

MT guy, just get cheap running shorts. MMA shorts if you want something more expensive, MT shorts look atrocious.

MT shorts are awesome. Just wear compression shorts underneath because I don't want to see your balls.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

De Nomolos posted:

To re-enter the MA world for fitness and fun as before, but I am particularly interested in the mental balance aspects of Aikido, since my accidents left me much more unbalanced and stressed than before. If I can do this in an environment that incorporates personal growth, competition, and camaraderie, all the better.

Not sure what type of injuries you're trying to avoid, but fencing, while not a full on MA, is pretty light contact, because being poked with a long, metal sticks doesn't hurt that much, varied by which weapon it is. Also, there are little concerns about injury beyond strains and joint injuries.

I will readily admit that I don't fully know the MA culture, as it were, so if something that most people fully consider as a "sport" (especially among the participants) is disdainful to you, it might not be the best option. But I will say the sporting thing really makes even the more recreational fencers competitive. And, like with the other MA's (I think), there are tournaments that are geared to the novices to the international and Olympic levels and everything in between.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Christoff posted:

As far as anklets. Are they really needed? I got the compression wrap because I have a bum left ankle. I probably won't even always wear it and use it more for jiu jitsu. I know you guys mentioned anklets for the slap/sting on the bag when you hit the wrong spot.

For me they're absolutely mandatory. I'll kick a bag that feels like a ton of bricks, and wince because I'm not wearing my little cotton protectors. It's not the wrong spot at all: your foot will wrap around the bag and slap it.. it's just totally unnecessary broken capillaries and inflammation.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Do you train shirtless in tiny trunks for MT?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

nice video, but how come I see yellow vs brown or yellow vs black belt fights? At worst I can see a green vs brown but some of these matchups were weird

Anyone was allowed to compete in the black belt division given that their coach signed a waiver, so many people signed up for the hell of it. Also, brown belts fighting blacks belts is pretty standard.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
In about a few months, I may be cleared to get back into grappling after over a year off due to multiple shoulder dislocations. I had my surgery in december, so in theory it should be a-ok to get back in BJJ/MMA/Muay Thai.

My worry, is I've developed quite an apparent risk aversion with my arm. I still cringe at lifting my arm above my head, and any thought of a kimura or american on my left arm immediately makes me shudder. Obviously, im still a few months into my rehab, and in theory the strengthening should remove some of my mental aspects, but is there any other advice on how to slowly work back into it? I'm just worried that I'll start and I'm going to aversely effect my grappling and striking because I am severely scared of dislocating it again. I dislocated 4 times, 2 times actually grappling, and the second time was severely painful. I've also had dreams of dislocations, then waking up in a serious sweat. Its one of the scariest thoughts in my mind now after its happened. It doesn't help that my friends and bosses at work keep trying to dissuade me from continuing on because of the inherent dangers in training martial arts (despite the fact that I am in this posn not because of martial arts, but because I went back too soon after what should have been a 4mth recovery.)

Any tricks or ideas on how I should approach restarting my training?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Pellisworth posted:

Yes. Interested? Let's clinch...

edit: at my gym, you can wear whatever you want to training as long as it's not super loose and flapping all over the place. During fights you have to wear traditional clothes

Guilty fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 19, 2012

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Christoff posted:

Yeah I just wanted to try the fairtex wraps and see how I they like them. I goggled wraps and it seemed everyone was partial to only one brand. Boone and hayabusa were the other popular brands.

Getting expensive wraps is the dumbest thing. Thai wraps in particular are pretty lovely compared to Mexican/American ones and Fairtex is their most expensive brand. Just make sure they're Mexican style (elastic) and 180" long. Don't pay twice the price for a Hayabusa logo. As a matter of fact, don't buy anything from Hayabusa.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

This probably goes without saying, but don't forget a mouth guard and cup.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Paul Pot posted:

Getting expensive wraps is the dumbest thing. Thai wraps in particular are pretty lovely compared to Mexican/American ones and Fairtex is their most expensive brand. Just make sure they're Mexican style (elastic) and 180" long. Don't pay twice the price for a Hayabusa logo. As a matter of fact, don't buy anything from Hayabusa.

Yeah I was just buying all my stuff from one site and they only had all these $10.95 Thai brand wraps so I went with fairtex.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Swagger like us, I'm scared for you man. I keep imagining a long e/n post about how you wrecked your shoulder again and you're giving up martial arts. Don't lose your risk aversion for a looong time. Its not a bad thing.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Nierbo posted:

Swagger like us, I'm scared for you man. I keep imagining a long e/n post about how you wrecked your shoulder again and you're giving up martial arts. Don't lose your risk aversion for a looong time. Its not a bad thing.

The good news is that, according to my orthopaedic surgeon, with this surgery and the full 6mth recovery, my shoulder is pretty much 100% save for about a 5% loss in range of motion. So if I was to dislocate my shoulder in some freak way again, I'd only be theoretically out for the 3-4mths or so instead of the year I have been out due to surgery.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

swagger like us posted:

The good news is that, according to my orthopaedic surgeon, with this surgery and the full 6mth recovery, my shoulder is pretty much 100% save for about a 5% loss in range of motion. So if I was to dislocate my shoulder in some freak way again, I'd only be theoretically out for the 3-4mths or so instead of the year I have been out due to surgery.

Ah thats actually a really good outcome considering.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pellisworth posted:

I keep a shirt on but have MT shorts. Even Sprawls with stretch panels are slightly annoyingly restrictive on high kicks and really strong teeps. Once you are sparring, you don't really notice it, but during drills it's always there on your mind.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

swagger like us posted:

Any tricks or ideas on how I should approach restarting my training?

My advice after two shoulder surgeries is to get really loving strong. Most physios rehab won't properly prepare you for rolling. I would suggest post physio following a more shotgun approach program to get your shoulders and girdle ready for training. Once you feel strong a lot of your apprehension should fade. Also learn to tap quick and inform everybody you roll with about your injury. MT should be less of an issue unless you jump right back to sparring.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Pellisworth posted:

I go to formal white-tie affairs in them. Or the store before practice. gently caress it, I love 'em. I think they're cool as poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I don't care if they're MT shorts or regular athletic shorts. The problem is that 80s short-shorts with slits on the side for flexion just aren't cool anymore, apparently. Every athletic store's shorts are knee length at the shortest. Guess I have to do some more shopping.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

I don't care if they're MT shorts or regular athletic shorts. The problem is that 80s short-shorts with slits on the side for flexion just aren't cool anymore, apparently. Every athletic store's shorts are knee length at the shortest. Guess I have to do some more shopping.

I really like Venum's shorts. I got a pair for x-mas from my brother who didn't know what to get me but knew I trained and they're better than the Jaco and Sprawl ones I bought myself. Having said that the jaco ones are nice, they're incredibly light and cut well for kicking. The sprawl ones, not so much.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Any opinions on http://www.groundzero.com.au/ for a BJJ place? $130/month. They seem to be Gracie affiliated, which is a good sign.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1xf4eKtaII&sns=em

A surprisingly good fight. Proof it's in the blood

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
At our gym you wear a unitard or micro-shorts man. Anything else is too restrictive for the leaping, spinning and dancing drunk sailor foot work.

This one guy came to the gym without his 'tard, thought "gently caress dis" just put the cup over his tight underwear and went to town.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I got myself some Ruptures. They're pretty sweet.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rhaka posted:

I got myself some Ruptures. They're pretty sweet.

bought some over 2 weeks ago and they still haven't arrived :(

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

The dude announced that Rupture is closing down the other day. So balls.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Everyone,

With a deep sense of regret, I'm writing to inform you that this will be the last iteration of Rupture Clothing products. Due to other business interests and the mounting and sheer impossibility of US-based soft goods manufacturing at a cost that is reasonable, I am making a conscious choice to not release additional items.

For almost 5 years, our company has shipped products to every corner of the US and many countries. Our business grew steadily and continuously and continues to remain very strong. The latest release and overwhelming success of the PTSi shorts made this an extremely difficult decision.

However, US-based manufacturing costs continue to rise, and it is nearly impossible to compete with companies that manufacture overseas from a wholesale perspective. Sticking to our ethos of "Made in the USA" under ethical working conditions means I would never get to grow the brand beyond a certain point. I was never willing to compromise on the former, but knowingly making this decision means Rupture remains a small niche brand. The amount of effort required to run a small company that has a growth ceiling which it is unable to overcome made this decision clear.

It's important to note that this is not being done for financial reasons. Rupture Clothing as a company is financially very strong and has grown year after year, and the brand name carries a lot of value due to our reputation for having the best grappling products on the market. I am choosing not to sell the brand, despite lucrative offers to do so. I am extremely proud of the fact that we built a brand many others copied, and our products still hold the standard for shorts and rash guards to this day. I would not want the company and brand I started with my bare hands to be tarnished with inferior, overseas-made products.

There is really no self-imposed end date for this. However, when the last product on our website shows "Out of Stock", that will mark the end of our product cycle.

I'm proud to say that over the past 5 years we have been known as a principled company with a high degree of integrity. We have never been late paying a sponsored athlete, and have always done our best to make our customers happy. I'm grateful for your patronage and support.

-Nick

shoulda made it in china and invested the savings in marketing like hayabusa, suckers...another win for capitalism!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
gently caress why can't I find an orange belt anywhere. One place had a orange belt with a white stripe through the middle down the length of the belt.
"Yeah, I'm an orange, going on white"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nierbo posted:

gently caress why can't I find an orange belt anywhere. One place had a orange belt with a white stripe through the middle down the length of the belt.

If I remember my popsicles, the white part is yogurt

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
gently caress I love frozen yoghurt an hour after my post-judo protein shake. I've also taken to drinking BCAAs during my judo so I don't lose all my rock-hard solid muscle mass.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Since there seem to be a few Vancouver people here, I was hoping I could get some advice on MT & schools here. I suppose in general anyone could help me though - hopefully this isn't sperglord long.

I finally am getting back into it ( never actually done MT but have tried just about everything else under the sun ), problem is that honestly, the further away the place is, the less likely I am going to go. I know it's dumb, training should be paramount regardless of location, but I know how I am. I don't want it to take up the entire night, I just don't have enough time and ultimately it will make me lose interest.

I guess what I'm generally asking is: for my purposes - fun/fitness/semi-legitimate training, am I hobbling myself in the future by potentially going to a less "legit" place? Learning bad habits etc? Or is the core, the basics of MT, more or less the same?

I've ruled out http://www.kaisingthong.com/main.html because I don't want to deal with the commute.

I live in Richmond and all I really found that was close by were 2 places:

http://dynamicmma.com/ - which seems to be geared towards MMA specifically and doesn't do MT - they only do Dutch style kickboxing ( basically MT without Elbows from what I gather? Some sort of Boxing / Kyokushin hybrid ). The gym looks huge though and really well geared.

and

http://www.richmondmma.ca/ who's lead instructor Victor Wang ( was? ) the light-heavyweight or something. He has a fight reel here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seXjCNx9B2c&list=UU8LZyIUyz2URWUCDZUAcjlQ&index=5&feature=plcp ( actual fighting starts around 2:00 ), and he trained under Posener ( he's actually on the Kel Lee site - http://www.kelleesama.com/instructors.htm ), for whatever that is worth - not much I gather.

I've actually been to the latter one a few times now - and the part I liked the most really was that the classes were small - I went to Gracie-Barra on Broadway a few years ago and it sucked because it was just too over-crowded - even rolling - especially the MT which took place in what I would call a long closet with no ventilation. I know that's not the case now since they moved, but it definitely burned me in that I refuse to go to a place where I have to fight for mat space.

tl;dr - I don't actually have any experience in MT so I don't really know what I should/should not be looking for.

[edit to add] - I do know one thing to ensure is that the place does actual sparring, so that has also been a primary criteria in addition to location ( for me ). So the only places I've considered do so, just to rule that out.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 21, 2012

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Hey guys, got a question. Started up Krav a few weeks back and I'm really enjoying it so far, seems really real-life oriented and has generally been a lot of fun. However, I'm quite interested in taking up Muay Thai as well. My question is, is it common to be practising two MAs at a time, or will it gently caress up my technique in one or the other? Basically, could I train both at the same time?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It is common and will work fine if you can handle the physical load.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Jakabite posted:

Hey guys, got a question. Started up Krav a few weeks back and I'm really enjoying it so far, seems really real-life oriented and has generally been a lot of fun. However, I'm quite interested in taking up Muay Thai as well. My question is, is it common to be practising two MAs at a time, or will it gently caress up my technique in one or the other? Basically, could I train both at the same time?

The philosophy is very different but the stances and striking are very similar. I switched from krav to muay thai. Basically, all that happened was they dropped the lovely, boring choke defenses and added more live training.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Great, I'll suggest it to the friends I train with then. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

We've got a bunch of orange belts, so do all the other clubs in the area. The solution is to move to Iowa.

• Locked thread