Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

Yeah, it is. But it was worth the backtrack. The bit I'm at now is meant to be really hard, and the guides say 'two hand a greatshield, than switch to a sword'. But the Eagle Shield is so light I've been using it one-handed since Blighttown. Just keep a fire-resistant shield for backup.

why would you need to two-hand a shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
it's the part in anor londo on the buttess with the two arrow knights.
I dunno why it says to two hand a shield. just run up there and block so the knight on the right will fall off.

edit: what i mean is, wedge yourself in a way that when you get knockback from blocking, it knocks you back against the wall and knocks the knight into open space. For some reason when i did this area, the knight on the left as you come up the buttress stopped firing once i started blocking shots from the knight on the right. I didn't have to two hand it, i just had my halberd+eagle shield the whole time.

Exploded fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 20, 2012

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Exploded posted:

I dunno why it says to two hand a shield. just run up there and block so the knight on the right will fall off.

I did it first time with the eagle shield. Just run straight up and smack them. The hardest part was fighting the demon things and not getting picked off.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002

westcoaster posted:

demon things

These things weren't that hard to fight but i hate where they are placed every time i fight them.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
it was just the big gently caress off arrows coming at you. So I hid behind a wall next to ledge and fought them. It was tough being that close to death. I wouldn't have been able to do it without the eagle shield.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
Yeah but they're always bunched together like on the ledge near the area we're talking about and in front of the giant blacksmith. Esp the ones near the blacksmith i have trouble bringing them in one by one. They're hard to fight if you're fighting something else.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Delamore posted:

I've just started playing this yesterday and have been using the pdf tutorial in the OP, is there anything newer than that for tips and such?

Play around with different weapons, don't get stuck thinking "I made a WARRIOR so my modus operandi is HITTING THINGS IN MELEE RANGE no matter how stupid it is in this situation." Dark Souls doesn't have classes that cut you off from using skills, so play around. Use items, change your setup, etc. Also, forward+LightAttack is a kick. Kicking dudes is super useful for breaking guards, interrupting attacks, or booting assholes off cliffs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah never forget that kicking does a really alarming amount of stamina damage to blockers, it's really easy to send shields flying sometimes.

Westen
Nov 6, 2011
So, I played and loved the hell out of demons souls and decided to pick this game up. Holy hell the bonfires are just an excuse to make everything meaner.

I hate it. (No I don't. Kill me more. :negative:)

fake edit: ^^^ drat that kick tip is going to save me so much frustration on the spear/shield assholes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Exploded posted:

These things weren't that hard to fight but i hate where they are placed every time i fight them.

When I'm at the bottom of the staircase I pop them with one arrow each to get them to start running around, then I hoof it up there and past them all.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

There isn't input lag, the game just queues input and some things aren't interruptable.

vv: I dunno, I've played through the game at least seven times without ever seeing it.

Read fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 20, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah, like if you're locked on and do a lunging attack but the enemy falls off the cliff first and your guy looks like he's saying ALRIGHT I'M GONNA DO THIS before committing suicide.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Read posted:

There isn't input lag, the game just queues input and some things aren't interruptable.

There is actually. It's rare though, and seems to be triggered by trying to do too many things at the same time. So if you block+roll+flask+attack in a panic, your dude might stand there until you try to block again, at which point you attack/flask/roll instead and die.

It probably is due to queuing getting borked but I've seen it happen plenty of times even post patch. Just try not to spam commands and you will avoid it (and eventually you get to recognize when it has happened anyway).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also you should never be flasking in a situation where you're about to roll and have your shield up anyway, that's a good way to die

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

westcoaster posted:

The best part is about the gamestop clerk. When I bought this game and Deus Ex:HR the clerk told me DS was too hard and that I probably shouldn't buy it. The thing is I am finding Deus Ex more frustrating. There are so many times where I just got screwed and then with the long loading screens got pissed off.

Could not agree more. My GameStop clerk did literally the exact same thing, going on about undead jumping out from doorways and killing him instantly. I told him I figured I could handle it :smug:.

I really do appreciate even the minute details that From Software included to alleviate this, though. The lack of loading goes a long way to keeping you engaged in the challenges the game throws at you, and the retrieval mechanic keeps you invested. It's easy to slap a quick-save and quick-load on an FPS (which are becoming increasingly less quick), but here it feels more carefully crafted. And meanwhile, I literally have no idea how they tuned the bosses to the sweet spot of difficulty where you barely make a dent the first couple times, and then dispatch them with ease the next.

I don't agree that Dark Souls fans are instantly hardcore-über gamers, but it's less about that and more about what climate this game was released in. Every mechanic of Dark Souls is geared to reward patience and keen observation, and it really is a drastically different play-style than anything else on the market. For the non-fans, that just didn't click.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 20, 2012

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Exploded posted:

edit: what i mean is, wedge yourself in a way that when you get knockback from blocking, it knocks you back against the wall and knocks the knight into open space. For some reason when i did this area, the knight on the left as you come up the buttress stopped firing once i started blocking shots from the knight on the right. I didn't have to two hand it, i just had my halberd+eagle shield the whole time.

I had been dreading this part on my no-shield run, but I did it in one go. I was two-handing a BKS though, that helped a bunch. The strategy was to strip down to the highest movement speed, then walk up the last part of the buttress (not sprint!). Then, at the last part, wait so that you get onto the ledge exactly when an arrow has fired (so that you have max time between shots), sprint right, dodge under an arrow and smack the knight into stagger or off the ledge. Presto, problem solved!

f#a# posted:

And meanwhile, I literally have no idea how they tuned the bosses to the sweet spot of difficulty where you barely make a dent the first couple times, and then dispatch them with ease the next.

I have to admit I preferred the DeS bosses, with the happy exception of O&S. The Capra still feels cheap, gargoyles are cool but a bit of a repeat. The asylum demon(s) are just clones of Vanguard.

Sumadartson fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 20, 2012

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This guy has some cool pvp and invasion videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkSoulsMindEye?feature=watch

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I can't think of any covenant rewards that you are locked out of by not being online.

There's one. Darkwraiths and the delicious tears of our enemies.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Lore Question; Who is/Was Sen?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Lore Question; Who is/Was Sen?

No idea, but doesn't someone flat out say that the Fortress was built by "the gods" to bar access to Anor Londo?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Shanty posted:

No idea, but doesn't someone flat out say that the Fortress was built by "the gods" to bar access to Anor Londo?

FWIW I know that the man-serpents are creations of Seath's, a failed attempt at creating the scales of immortality.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Read posted:

FWIW I know that the man-serpents are creations of Seath's, a failed attempt at creating the scales of immortality.

Wasn't that the Pisacas in the basement? For what it's worth the most description about the Serpent Men comes from various keys:

"If a hapless adventurer becomes fatigued during an imprudent attempt to overcome the fortress, the serpent men will not kill him, but lock him up in a lonely cage. Eventually, unless they have forgotten, they drag the victim off to who-knows-where."

"The Archive Tower, once a trove of precious tomes and letters, became a prison after the onset of Seath's madness. The serpent men who guard the prison know not the value of what they hide. In the basement of the tower are the writhing "mistakes" of the terrifying experiments which were conducted there."

"Perhaps the serpent men were careless, for there are seceral keys scattered about which fit Archive Tower cells."

"The giant cell once imprisoned countless maidens, but is now empty, save for a few key persons. They struggle to uphold their sanity, as the horde of "mistakes" writhe at a fearfully close proximity."

So the Pisacas are pretty clearly mistakes, and the Channeler's set describes how those dancing Channeler assholes used to kidnap maidens and bring them to Seath for experiments, which you can see the results of in the basement.

In Logan's case he seems to have been captured by them twice, once in Sen's and then once in the Archives. Not sure if the ones in Sen's and Archives are related but both seem to be jailers.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sounds like Seath at the very least has taken over the Fortress to store prisoners then. Which would kinda explain why there's a Channeler in the Parish.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I love the way people use the orange soap stone to make up their own messages. I walked past Queelags the other day and saw one that said 'Amazing chest ahead'. That had me giggling for ages.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

TheMostFrench posted:

I love the way people use the orange soap stone to make up their own messages. I walked past Queelags the other day and saw one that said 'Amazing chest ahead'. That had me giggling for ages.

If in the next Souls game there isn't a horse demon whose giant cock flaps in the wind as you fight so that people can put 'Amazing spear ahead' I am personally going to be very disappointed.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 20, 2012

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
As you can imagine, that one's real popular at the Chamber of the Princess.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

Beware of Amazing Chest

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I used to see a lot of "Need Sticky White Stuff" near Yuria in Demons Souls.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
New Londo is literally the biggest gently caress you in the game, regardless of how many NG+'s I go through I hate it. I feel like the lead designer was all like:

:devil: "alright guys, lets put a bunch of easy guys down there to trick new players, then we'll fill the entire place with GHOSTS"
:hitler: "but sir what's so scary about ghosts, we have 10 foot tall demons"
:devil: "We'll make them hit really hard and be invunerable unless the player uses an item"
:hitler: "That seems reas..."
:devil: "AND WE'LL ONLY PUT TWO IN THE ENTIRE ZONE"
:hitler: "That might be too diff-"
:devil: "AND THE MERCHANT WHO SELLS THEM WILL BE AT THE END OF THE ZONE, PASSED 100 GHOSTS!"
:hitler: "Sir, I think you're getting too excited"
:devil: "AND THE GHOSTS CAN MOVE AND ATTACK THROUGH WALLS, AND THE ENTIRE PLACE IS FILLED WITH WATER SO IF THEY KNOCK YOU OFF YOU DIE"
:hitler: "Sir, have you been taking your medication"

loving ghosts.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Doesn't the merchant in the shortcut to the Depths sell infinite transient curses? Also, the ghosts drop them constantly if you've got some humanity banked.

The worst part is that loving house full of 'em, though. So many souls lost...

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Yeah the Female Undead Merchant sells them for 4000 souls a pop I believe, I thought the ghosts were easy myself, my Black Knight Sword was killing them in 1 hit but then I attacked a ghost who was floating over a bottomless pit, missed and swung myself into oblivion.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Chard posted:

It probably is due to queuing getting borked but I've seen it happen plenty of times even post patch. Just try not to spam commands and you will avoid it (and eventually you get to recognize when it has happened anyway).

You probably don't even have to spam input. The most egregious example of this was when I was fighting Gwyn, offline. I was blocking and Gwyn wiffed a grab so I went for the flask, but my guy just stood there blocking, until Gwyn recovered and started charging me, and then he flasked, and then I died. That had to have been about 5 whole seconds of lag.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

NerdPolice posted:

New Londo is literally the biggest gently caress you in the game, regardless of how many NG+'s I go through I hate it. I feel like the lead designer was all like:

:devil: "alright guys, lets put a bunch of easy guys down there to trick new players, then we'll fill the entire place with GHOSTS"
:hitler: "but sir what's so scary about ghosts, we have 10 foot tall demons"
:devil: "We'll make them hit really hard and be invunerable unless the player uses an item"
:hitler: "That seems reas..."
:devil: "AND WE'LL ONLY PUT TWO IN THE ENTIRE ZONE"
:hitler: "That might be too diff-"
:devil: "AND THE MERCHANT WHO SELLS THEM WILL BE AT THE END OF THE ZONE, PASSED 100 GHOSTS!"
:hitler: "Sir, I think you're getting too excited"
:devil: "AND THE GHOSTS CAN MOVE AND ATTACK THROUGH WALLS, AND THE ENTIRE PLACE IS FILLED WITH WATER SO IF THEY KNOCK YOU OFF YOU DIE"
:hitler: "Sir, have you been taking your medication"

loving ghosts.

This is a ridiculous exaggeration. They give you like 8, they last like five whole minutes which is way more than enough to clear the whole area from start to Four Kings and no shortcuts, with all items, and the ghosts themselves drop them in pairs like 30% of the time. On top of that Ingward on the half-way point sells them on the cheap and a different merchant sells them for 4000.

I will say though, that the cursed weapons are misleading. They deal lovely damage, and being that you only have cursed offense the ghosts completely ignore your defense rating and deal like 250 damage per blow.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
After the second time going through New Londo I brought along some souls and made sure to buy enough transient curses from the robe guy so that I'll never have to go back to the undead merchant again. Those ghosts really are bullshit.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

NerdPolice posted:

:hitler: loving ghosts.

For what its worth there are (at least) four Transient Curses you can get for free before fighting a ghost. There's the two in a vase where you start onto the boardwalk, and then there are another two in a different vase if you hug the right edge against the water before climbing the first stairs.

OK there are actually two ghosts in that area, but you can dodge them and grab the curses if it comes down to that.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
The way that ghosts can fly and move through walls just makes them a pain in the rear end to fight. It seemed like most of the time even though i was hitting them no hit would register, because they weren't on my exact same vertical plane.
After the first one or two they're not really scary, although i think new londo ruins is the most menacing area of the game.

I'm sure this has been covered before but does anyone have tips on dealing with the wheel skeletons in catacombs? I hate a lot of enemies in this game but the wheel skeletons are the only ones i haven't mastered.

indubitably
Dec 3, 2008
Are there any pvp guides that aren't total poo poo?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chard posted:

There is actually. It's rare though, and seems to be triggered by trying to do too many things at the same time. So if you block+roll+flask+attack in a panic, your dude might stand there until you try to block again, at which point you attack/flask/roll instead and die.

This isn't really a lag, though, it IS queuing. The difference being that if you recognize it's happening (and your queued action will happen when you drop your guard), you can try to get somewhere safe before allowing the action to happen.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Exploded posted:

I'm sure this has been covered before but does anyone have tips on dealing with the wheel skeletons in catacombs? I hate a lot of enemies in this game but the wheel skeletons are the only ones i haven't mastered.

If you can lure them toward you one at a time, get them to roll toward a corner or a wall and chase them, try to get them as they are stopping and turning and kill them before they get moving again. If they get away from you, wait for them to come back or you risk pulling others. I think in the area before pinwheel there is a little ledge where you can pull about four who will endlessly wheel towards you, if you stand just over them you can kill them all in one fireball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Bobnumerotres posted:

This is a ridiculous exaggeration. They give you like 8, they last like five whole minutes which is way more than enough to clear the whole area from start to Four Kings and no shortcuts, with all items, and the ghosts themselves drop them in pairs like 30% of the time. On top of that Ingward on the half-way point sells them on the cheap and a different merchant sells them for 4000.

I agree with this. If you're patient and draw them out (or better yet, have a weapon/spell that does AoE damage) the 10-15 or whatever ghosts in that one room aren't that bad. If you go charging in headfirst without an AoE attack then they definitely are...but don't do that. Learn from your first death! :eng101:

It ruled so hard using a +5 DKGA in New Londo in both NG and NG+. One R2 attack took care of 80% of the ghosts in that room

• Locked thread