Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RentACop posted:

You know Star Control 2 was re-released on the 3D0 with added voice pack. But were you aware that it was also released in japan?

Adorable
Aside from that pretty unremarkable though

Oh man that is really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I tried to play Ur-Quan Masters. I met an alien probe that was supposed to "replicate itself and make contact with other species" and it decided that I was raw materials and attacked me.

In combat it was ten times as maneuverable as I was, my ship turns at about a pixel every five seconds, so it was literally impossible to shoot it. I died without ever actually having a chance to do anything. :geno:

I'm willing to forgive a lot in old games (I love Fallout 1 and 2, for instance) but I'm having a pretty hard time seeing the appeal here. Did I miss some crucial early opportunity to upgrade my ship or something?

This is, unfortunately, a really hard game to play without a guide. I didn't have one when I first played it in elementary/middle school but I NEVER woul have been able to make any progress if I hadn't been calling the cool older highschool kid who gave me the game on the phone every couple hours.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chainclaw posted:

I remember those sorts of bundles being popular in the 90s. In particular at Price Club (now merged with Costco) and Comp USA (now defunct). My very young self couldn't really tell the good stuff from the stinkers (much less my father, who'd always deride wasting time with video games), but my god was it exciting! My first flight sim was part of that kind of pack, which I cherished religiously - though I hardly knew what I was doing. Wonder what game that was?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Chainclaw posted:

I have this! They're all pretty awesome games, although I think the only one I've "finished" is Dungeon Hack (because you can make a piss-easy dungeon).

I haven't put nearly as much time into Fantasy Empires as I would've liked, but I remember struggling with the combat somehow. I think I just didn't understand the controls. Did that thing come with a manual?

Stronghold is actually my favorite game in that bundle, even ahead of Dungeon Hack. You create one main character and can have several others, but you don't control them - instead, each character is the head of their own stronghold/kingdom populated by heroes of the character's class. The game itself is a simulation where you run the kingdom, building housing and infrastructure (and even doing some landscaping) to attract and support your heroes. The game has seasons, and you need to make sure you're well-stocked before every winter or your buildings will start falling apart and your people will starve. When you've got a solid kingdom running and you've got some decent heroes running around, you can send them off to eliminate monsters and destroy their lairs. Again, you don't control the units directly, but instead set waypoints sort of like magnets where you can choose how many heroes you want to attract to the particular square of land (you do get to watch the fights though, which are pretty spectacular). Removing lairs and running a successful kingdom will increase your main character's rank, giving you access to better buildings.

It's a really unique and solid game that still plays well today. I think the only game that even slightly resembles it is Majesty, but that trades the simulation aspects for more of an RTS system.

Here's the intro, which shows some gameplay.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This happened in hyperspace, literally within minutes of starting the game. I approached Earth, the Ur-Quan yelled at me, I set course for Alpha Centauri, and died before I got there.

Well, there's your problem. You probably want to explore the Sol system before you leave it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

PSI-5 posted:

I'm currently playing Ultima 1 on PC (thanks GOG). I'm mapping out the lands and dungeons on A3 graph paper. It's awesome. A lot more fun than I expected, even if the game is very primitive.

My goal is to work my way through all of the Ultimas (yes, even you Ascension).

I tried to do this a couple of years ago. I actually finished Ultima but after about an hour of part 2 I abandoned the plan.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I tried to play Ur-Quan Masters. I met an alien probe that was supposed to "replicate itself and make contact with other species" and it decided that I was raw materials and attacked me.

In combat it was ten times as maneuverable as I was, my ship turns at about a pixel every five seconds, so it was literally impossible to shoot it. I died without ever actually having a chance to do anything. :geno:

I'm willing to forgive a lot in old games (I love Fallout 1 and 2, for instance) but I'm having a pretty hard time seeing the appeal here. Did I miss some crucial early opportunity to upgrade my ship or something?

I felt the same way when I first played it, about 5 years ago. Don't be afraid to go to GameFAQs and get some advice from a couple of the guides there. Sure, the best way to play it would be to take your time, exploring the galaxy and taking notes for yourself and restarting the game if absolutely necessary. But I definitely didn't have the patience for that personally, and if it came down to cheating a bit by reading a guide or not playing the game at all, I'd say cheat a bit. And definitely get the ship with the BUTT missiles on pluto before leaving Sol.

Once you get over the first hump, which is hitting some high resource worlds to get your flagship upgraded with speed/maneuverability, the game improves a lot. It's definitely not an easy game at any point and personally I consider a guide almost mandatory, but it's a great game and the way things happen around you (sometimes without your input at all) is really amazing.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
For anyone struggling with Star Control 2, there's a good LP here which helped me get through the rather harsh combat learning curve when I first played it. Look to the bottom of Chapter 5 (beware possible spoilers at the top of the page) for help on fighting the probes in particular. The technique's basically what Dr Snofeld said a few posts above, but I found that once you've got the hang of it those battles become routine, and any probe encounters will just be free resources to scavange from the burning wrecks.

This is one of those games were even if you're not a fan of the combat elements, it really is worth perservering just to experience the rest of the game.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I hit a problem with Ur-Quan Masters where I had every upgrade I could buy from the space station, and I didn't really know what to do anymore. I had what seemed like no more use for resources, and blind exploring without a use for money seemed really boring.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This happened in hyperspace, literally within minutes of starting the game. I approached Earth, the Ur-Quan yelled at me, I set course for Alpha Centauri, and died before I got there.

Yeah you definitely need to explore the rest of the solar system first. Your starter ship is terrible.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I want to put in a good word for Wizard's Crown.

It being a mid-1980s RPG, the graphics are extremely crude, UI is a bit janky and there's not much of a story, but where Wizard's Crown excels is in a super-crunchy and detailed character stat system, and deep wargame-y tactical combat in a way that I haven't seen many other games attempt (Temple of Elemental Evil is probably the closest modern equivalent). You can have 8 characters in your party, statted out with a detailed point buy system that allows you to tweak main attributes (STR/DEX/INT/etc.), character class (Fighter/Thief/Ranger/Priest etc.; characters can buy into multiple classes), and skills (from a pool of about 30-40, ranging from weapon skills to things like hunting, swimming, and reading ancient languages).

Fights of any significance can take a half hour or more to resolve, on battlefields that can be several screens in size (there is also an auto-resolving quick combat mode, so you don't have to waste five minutes every time you come across a bunch of giant rats). The combat is super detailed and takes account of things like facing, bleeding and injury, crossbows that need to be reloaded between shots, etc. There's also pretty much zero hand-holding, and it's hard as balls -- if your party composition and tactics aren't up to snuff, you can and will get brutally slaughtered by street thugs within moments of leaving the initial Inn.

If you like tough tactical RPGs or wargames that reward careful play, and you won't get hung up on the clunky CGA visuals and interface, then head over to your local abandonwarez site and give Wizard's Crown a go.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

I have this! They're all pretty awesome games, although I think the only one I've "finished" is Dungeon Hack (because you can make a piss-easy dungeon).

I haven't put nearly as much time into Fantasy Empires as I would've liked, but I remember struggling with the combat somehow. I think I just didn't understand the controls. Did that thing come with a manual?

Stronghold is actually my favorite game in that bundle, even ahead of Dungeon Hack.

You sir, or madam, are a god drat bastard! Star Control? Played it tons of times, burned through all my nostalgia ages ago? Gold box series? Replayed several of those a few years ago. Dark Sun? Even ran through that two years ago. Stronghold? gently caress... do I still have a copy of that or am I going to drive myself insane wanting to play it now?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Stronghold is actually my favorite game in that bundle, even ahead of Dungeon Hack. You create one main character and can have several others, but you don't control them - instead, each character is the head of their own stronghold/kingdom populated by heroes of the character's class. The game itself is a simulation where you run the kingdom, building housing and infrastructure (and even doing some landscaping) to attract and support your heroes. The game has seasons, and you need to make sure you're well-stocked before every winter or your buildings will start falling apart and your people will starve. When you've got a solid kingdom running and you've got some decent heroes running around, you can send them off to eliminate monsters and destroy their lairs. Again, you don't control the units directly, but instead set waypoints sort of like magnets where you can choose how many heroes you want to attract to the particular square of land (you do get to watch the fights though, which are pretty spectacular). Removing lairs and running a successful kingdom will increase your main character's rank, giving you access to better buildings.

Stronghold was awesome, and I've never seen a game quite come close to it (except possibly Master of Magic, which was closer to Civilization meets M:TG.) I never really progressed very far in it but goddamn was it fun to screw around with.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is one of the few cases where UQM/SC2 is railroading you. This is the game's way of saying "explore Sol first"; those probes will attack you nonstop unless you do so.

Even then, it isn't an absolute railroad; if you are an expert and have the modern bugfixes applied, it's possible to beat the game anyway!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Boldor posted:

This is one of the few cases where UQM/SC2 is railroading you. This is the game's way of saying "explore Sol first"; those probes will attack you nonstop unless you do so.

Even then, it isn't an absolute railroad; if you are an expert and have the modern bugfixes applied, it's possible to beat the game anyway!

Yeah, I think I just got mixed signals from it. The Ur-Quan drone told me to stay put and wait for the authorities, so my first thought was to put as much distance between me and them as possible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dungeon Hack was a great lite-roguelike - I even managed to like it despite the fact that I hated the interface it used, which was based on the Eye of the Beholder games (which for some reason never "clicked" with me, maybe because the battles were exclusively in real-time and there weren't many "tactics").

I'm trying to remember an SSI game (at least, I think it was SSI) that came out in... I want to say the late 80s. It was an RPG. I'm 90% sure it only supported CGA graphics, and it definitely wasn't a licensed IP.

The only real gameplay feature I recall was something like, battles took place on a screen sort-of-not-really like the older Heroes of Might and Magic games? In that your dudes were on one side of the screen and the monsters were on the other, and you had different "units" that were monsters instead of party members (or maybe the party members could be of "monster" classes?)

The one I played was actually the second in the series. It had a generic one-word name like Wizardry, I think. Note: this has been bothering me for literally years. It's like the game was something I dreamed up (and frankly, from what I remember it made about that much sense).

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Can someone who has some experience with the game recommend which version of the Circle of Eight modpack to install for Temple of Elemental Evil? The forum presents this loving ridiculous chart explaining the differences in the most confusing way possible.

What I want - bugfixes, restored content, anything that makes the game better
What I don't want - terrible fan-made content

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

Can someone who has some experience with the game recommend which version of the Circle of Eight modpack to install for Temple of Elemental Evil? The forum presents this loving ridiculous chart explaining the differences in the most confusing way possible.

I've been trying it out and you may as well go with the 7.0.0 NC one. I've only tried the first two pieces of fan-made stuff and they seem pretty decent, plus all of it takes place in new areas so it's easy to avoid if you're not interested. Plus the first one (Welkwood Bog) is a MUCH better way to get to level 2 at the beginning instead of the lovely fed-ex quests in the village.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

There are only two versions, NC (new content) and non-NC. Just go with NC, the new content isn't terrible (nor completely fan-made) and avoidable if you really hate it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

PSI-5 posted:

My goal is to work my way through all of the Ultimas (yes, even you Ascension).
Ascension as it stood was basically the equivalent of Fallout 3 to the rest of the Fallout series; it clearly paid less attention to logic and continuity for the sake of making the game (and getting it out on time in that case too). The ending was absolutely amazing, too. Plus, I know there is a patch out there that a group of crazy Ultima fans made to completely rewrite all the game's dialogue (obviously not voiced this way) to tie it into previous games and better explain the plot, so you could check that out.

seorin posted:

Then I found this video
Wow. Just when I think I have yet again learned about all the Dungeons & Dragons games out there, I learn about a new one. (Checking a list of all of them ever is cheating) This actually looks like a pretty sweet game, too--like the D&D Ultima Underworld?

Dungeon Master, at least according to Atari magazines of my early childhood, was at one point an infamous a piece of vaporware (along the lines of Duke Nukem Forever, though not as bad obviously). Easy to see why, given that it looks amazing for the time.

Veib posted:

The game also has hilariously incompetent party members, and I found it much easier to just kill everything by myself than struggle to keep some idiot alive, but I did like the idea of hacking through the countryside with Cervantes.
That was really the first hint that I was not going to like Lionheart's combat, when every NPC you can recruit in the game will be killed with literally one hit from most monsters from about 1/3 through the game onward. I would just tell them all to wait at the start of a new area, kill all the monsters, go back to the beginning and pick them up, and move on. And in the end I learned there was no valid reason to have ever recruited anyone in the first place. I figured they would get special endings :(

Adam Bowen posted:

I tried to do this a couple of years ago. I actually finished Ultima but after about an hour of part 2 I abandoned the plan.
Ultima II has always seemed like a myth to me. This may be the first time I have ever seen anyone mention actually having played it on these forums (though I am sure others have). I think between I's remake and III being the inspiration for dozens of other knockoff CRPGs, II just got left in the dumpster (I have even played Akalabeth, and not II).

h_double posted:

I want to put in a good word for Wizard's Crown.

That box art so totally rules. I always saw it in catalogs and vowed to buy it the first time I saw it in a store. Not a lot of Atari 800XL dealers in my area, though.

h_double posted:

It being a mid-1980s RPG, the graphics are extremely crude, UI is a bit janky and there's not much of a story, but where Wizard's Crown excels is in a super-crunchy and detailed character stat system, and deep wargame-y tactical combat in a way that I haven't seen many other games attempt (Temple of Elemental Evil is probably the closest modern equivalent).
I am going to blow your mind if you do not already know this, so you had better be careful--this style of play was definitely done at least one other time in the sequel to Wizard's Crown, the Eternal Dagger. You can even import your party from Wizard's Crown when you are done!

This thread might be the first time in ages it would make sense for me to post the list I compiled of games where you can import your characters from other games!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quarex posted:

Ascension as it stood was basically the equivalent of Fallout 3 to the rest of the Fallout series; it clearly paid less attention to logic and continuity for the sake of making the game (and getting it out on time in that case too). The ending was absolutely amazing, too. Plus, I know there is a patch out there that a group of crazy Ultima fans made to completely rewrite all the game's dialogue (obviously not voiced this way) to tie it into previous games and better explain the plot, so you could check that out.

I never knew that, I loved the Hell out of Ultima 4-7 but always heard nothing but "avoid at all costs" about Ascension. Maybe I'll check that out.

quote:

Dungeon Master, at least according to Atari magazines of my early childhood, was at one point an infamous a piece of vaporware (along the lines of Duke Nukem Forever, though not as bad obviously). Easy to see why, given that it looks amazing for the time.

It totally was, and until this thread I was under the impression that it was a massive hit and everyone had played it. Guess not! All I know is I bought it for $5 at Target like 10 years ago or something.

quote:

Ultima II has always seemed like a myth to me.

Same. It's like Final Fantasy 2; it was really, weirdly different from 1 and also not at all like 3+. I'm reasonably certain it sold pretty poorly, or it sold fine but everyone who played it said "gently caress this poo poo" and threw their discs away right after (or before) they beat it. I know I went back and tried it at some point in the early 90s and was left feeling utterly confused and underwhelmed.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

precision posted:

I never knew that, I loved the Hell out of Ultima 4-7 but always heard nothing but "avoid at all costs" about Ascension. Maybe I'll check that out.

Have you tried 8? :lol:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

signalnoise posted:

Have you tried 8? :lol:

For about an hour, at which point I said "gently caress this noise" and thanked God that, back then, Babbage's had no problem letting you return opened PC software.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Don't you go into space in Ultima 2?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Quarex posted:

Huh, I got the Atari ST version shortly after its release and never heard anything like that; it came out fairly early in the ST's life cycle too.

I can't think of another game from that era that had the same impact -- it was such a huge leap forward, and aside from the technical aspects it's a really well designed game.

In a similar vein, I also loved Captive (which was on both the ST and PC), which is basically Dungeon Master in space. The storyline is that you are trapped in a cell in an abandoned prison somewhere in space, with nothing but life support and a briefcase computer that you can use to remotely control a team of four robots somewhere far off on another planet. The robots are your adventuring party, and the whole game is played through the briefcase computer UI, with the ultimate goal of navigating back to the planet where you are imprisoned. It plays pretty much like DM, except instead of spells and magic items, you salvage and buy upgrade modules to modify your robots.

Quarex posted:

Ultima II has always seemed like a myth to me. This may be the first time I have ever seen anyone mention actually having played it on these forums (though I am sure others have). I think between I's remake and III being the inspiration for dozens of other knockoff CRPGs, II just got left in the dumpster (I have even played Akalabeth, and not II).

I played the heck out of Ultima II, it will always hold a special place in my heart. It takes place on a map of earth, with timegates to several different eras (ranging from Pangaea to a post-apocalyptic future), and since it was from the days when games were abstract enough that they didn't need a lot of thematic coherence, it's chock full of random things that are mostly there because they're cool or weird (like you can fly a spaceship around the solar system and one of the planets has a city full of nothing but jesters).

Quarex posted:

I am going to blow your mind if you do not already know this, so you had better be careful--this style of play was definitely done at least one other time in the sequel to Wizard's Crown, the Eternal Dagger. You can even import your party from Wizard's Crown when you are done!

Yeah, I knew there was a sequel, but couldn't remember the name (plus I never beat the first game).

Quarex posted:

This thread might be the first time in ages it would make sense for me to post the list I compiled of games where you can import your characters from other games!

Yes please!

h_double fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 23, 2012

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

AlmightyBob posted:

Don't you go into space in Ultima 2?

You go into space in both Ultima 1 and Ultima 2. Ultima 1 has a first person minigame where you battle TIE fighters.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, I think I just got mixed signals from it. The Ur-Quan drone told me to stay put and wait for the authorities, so my first thought was to put as much distance between me and them as possible.

The odd thing is that I'm unsure why the game's authors had those particular probes attack you. They're deliberately in place so that you're forced to explore Sol first, but then they vanish for no in-game logical reason, and they also have no logical connection with the Ur-Quan in the first place. These same probes do eventually show up again (in fact it's quite possible you have already met them in this context by the time you read this), but this time an in-game logical reason DOES exist.

This mechanism makes even less sense than your typical foot-deep impassable water or waist-high insurmountable fences. As I understand it, it was placed into the game rather late, and it was running over schedule as it was. Just accept it for what it is (preventing the game world from being too huge) and roll with it. There aren't too many other cases in the game where you're railroaded, and in all cases I can think of they actually make some kind of narrative sense.

At least it isn't quite like many other older games, where you are just killed outright, no chance to even try to fight, sometimes with not even any warning. Angelsoft and Sierra games were the worst culprits. Sierra games are much more well-known, but for all the famous lethality of those games they still aren't as bad as Angelsoft.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

h_double posted:

You go into space in both Ultima 1 and Ultima 2. Ultima 1 has a first person minigame where you battle TIE fighters.

Hahaha. I never got around to 1 or 2, maybe I will now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

h_double posted:

Posts like this are one of the reasons this thread is great. Pick any game from pre-1997 or so and I guarantee there is something you can offhandedly say about it that sounds like you're just making poo poo up.

No thanks to you jerks, I finally figured out the SSI game I posted about earlier - Phantasie 2. I still remember basically nothing about it, but at least that will stop bothering me now. Also it came out 2 years before I even owned a computer, so now I have a new mystery to solve: How the Hell did I play it? Because I'm fairly certain I never bought "old" games unless they were well-established series' like Ultima.

While looking for that info, I remembered the game Archon, which was basically Battle Chess only you got to cast spells and you fought your enemies in a real-time arena and the units were mostly changed dramatically from the roles that the equivalent unit in chess had so... I guess "was basically Battle Chess" is actually very wrong of me to say.

But holy crap can you imagine a PSN/XBL, updated version of Archon?! If they just retained the core gameplay with maybe a few balance tweaks (and maybe add different factions other than just two) and a slicker arena-battle system and and... basically why isn't anyone working on this right now?! (I'm not looking it up, but I bet the answer is "Because EA still owns the rights")

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

precision posted:

But holy crap can you imagine a PSN/XBL, updated version of Archon?! If they just retained the core gameplay with maybe a few balance tweaks (and maybe add different factions other than just two) and a slicker arena-battle system and and... basically why isn't anyone working on this right now?! (I'm not looking it up, but I bet the answer is "Because EA still owns the rights")

Unfortunately, it got tossed to some shovelware developer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

UselessLurker posted:

Unfortunately, it got tossed to some shovelware developer.

Oh for the love of... that's just asinine. I'm afraid to even try the demo because Paul Reiche had no involvement in making it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

h_double posted:

You go into space in both Ultima 1 and Ultima 2.

Don't forget Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doc Hawkins posted:

Don't forget Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams!

That is legitimately arguably the best Ultima game. The one with dinosaurs was drat good too.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

precision posted:

That is legitimately arguably the best Ultima game. The one with dinosaurs was drat good too.
I heard a lot of complaints about Martian Dreams' sameness and tedium, though also compliments on its atmosphere (I know I played it, and I think I even finished it, but I cannot remember anything about it). Savage Empire, on the other hand, was basically universally agreed to be amazing, and at the time it made me firmly believe that the Ultima VI engine was the most perfect thing ever created and every game should be made using it. Clearly.

(Also, sorry about not knowing Phantasie 2, my first Phantasie was III and the playthrough I started in 2007 is still not finished)
ff

h_double posted:

Yes please!
:crossarms:

Very well ... here they are (I do not include expansions since that gets messy and is fairly obvious anyway):

Classic PC Games Where You Can Import Characters From Other Games(tm)
(parentheses mean characters can be imported without going through this game in the series)

Alternate Reality: The City -> Alternate Reality: The Dungeon (in theory at least; see note at bottom)
Baldur's Gate -> Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Tales of the Unknown Volume I: The Bard's Tale -> (Bard's Tale II) -> Bard's Tale III
TotUVI: The Bard's Tale or Bard's Tale II -> Dragon Wars
Ultima III or Wizardry -> TotUVI: The Bard's Tale or Bard's Tale II
Ultima III, Ultima IV, Wizardry I, Wizardry II, or Wizardry III -> Bard's Tale III
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday -> Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed
Champions of Krynn -> Death Knights of Krynn -> Dark Queen of Krynn
Dark Designs I: Greliminar's Staff -> Dark Designs II: Closing the Gate -> (Dark Designs III: Retribution was Apple II only)
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands -> Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager
Eye of the Beholder -> Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon -> Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor
Gateway to the Savage Frontier -> Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Ishar -> Ishar II -> Ishar III
Four Crystals of Trazere -> Worlds of Legend
Magic Candle -> (Keys to Maramon) -> (Magic Candle 2) -> Magic Candle 3
MegaTraveller 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy -> MegaTraveller 2: Quest for the Ancients
Might & Magic -> Might & Magic II (I think?)
Might & Magic IV -> Might & Magic V (plus bonus dual-game "World of Xeen!")
Phantasie -> (Phantasie II [not available on PC anyway]) -> Phantasie III -> Krull Soccer -> Fragglepocalypse
Phantasie/Phantasie III/TotUVI: The Bard's Tale/Bard's Tale II -> Legend of Faerghail
Pool of Radiance -> (Hillsfar) -> Curse of the Azure Bonds -> (Hillsfar[***]) -> Secret of the Silver Blades -> Pools of Darkness
Quest for Glory I (a.k.a. Hero's Quest I) -> Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire -> Quest for Glory III: Wages of War -> Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession -> Ravenloft 2: Stone Prophet
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny -> Realms of Arkania: Star Trail -> Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva
Temple of Apshai -> Upper Reaches of Apshai -> Curse of Ra
Wasteland -> Wasteland -> Wasteland -> Wasteland -> Wasteland -> Wasteland ->
Wasteland -> Dragon Wars(!?!)
Wizardry -> Wizardry 2 -> Wizardry 3 -> Wizardry 5
Wizardry 6 -> Wizardry 7 -> Wizardry 8

Also of note even though they involve games that never came out for PC:

TotUVI: The Bard's Tale, Ultima III, or Wizardry -> Deathlord(?)
TotUVI: The Bard's Tale, Bard's Tale 2/3, Wizardry (1)/2/3, Ultima 1/2?/3?, Might & Magic(!) -> Centauri Alliance (which I just learned about in the Wasteland 2 thread!)
Wizard's Crown -> Eternal Dagger -> Mass Effect 3 (Eternal Dagger never came out for PC; I got confused by the fact that it came out for Atari 800XL, my previous computer gaming platform of choice/force)

*** Yes, Hillsfar and Curse of the Azure Bonds were mutually import/export compatible; I am pretty sure that is something that will never happen again.

Edit: Thanks Boldor, this list gets better all the time! And I have dabbled a tiny bit with Dragon Wars before, but hearing you talk about it has put me over the edge, so it is definitely going to be my next DOS gaming project ... after my upcoming Wasteland Let's Play, clearly.

Edit some more: Xiw's bizarre arcane knowledge plus CuddleChunks reminding me in the Wasteland 2 thread that Wasteland was recursively importable.

Edit from THE DISTANT FUTURE: I just realized an obvious early one (Alternate Reality series) that is often overlooked, probably because the character transfer was apparently non-functional on most systems.

Edit: Haha, the "distant future" was only June 2, 2013; now THIS is a necroedit.

Oh anyway I just wanted to give a shout-out to the most surprising "importing your character" example I have found in recent memory, that of Dead Island -> Dead Island: Riptide. I mean, seriously; DEAD ISLAND was the kind of game that needed 1980s CRPG character movement sensibilities maintained? And unlike basically every other transfer that was usually along the lines of "import your character for Great Power!" the delightful thing about Dead Island: Riptide is that it actually makes the game harder if you import someone, since the zombies scale to your level and showing up naked and unarmed on a military ship overrun with zombies as tough as the ones you faced fully-equipped with the best gear at the end of the previous game...well. It was quite the start, I tell you what! Definitely made Riptide feel heavily underrated as a result. The End

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 3, 2017

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Quarex posted:

Phantasie -> Phantasie II -> Phantasie III -> Krull Soccer

Phantasie II doesn't exist for IBM, even though there's clearly a lot of code hooks for the transfer process. You can transfer straight from I to III, though.

Eternal Dagger also doesn't exist for IBM, but it sounds like you already know that.

There's one transfer missing from your list: you can transfer laterally from Bard's Tale I or II to Dragon Wars. This is a bad idea from Bard's Tale II to DW, and a bad idea period if your platform is Apple ][. (I do not know how the transfer works for other platforms.) Dragon Wars is, like Wasteland, another pretty good game that was intended to be the first in a series and deserves playing.

Dragon Wars has other similarities to Wasteland. Part of the basic background of the game is that the use of dragons by humans in warfare is rather like nuclear weaponry and Mutually Assured Destruction in real life. The game world is partially post-apocalyptic; the object of the game is to prevent more cities from being destroyed. (You can also accidentally destroy a city or two yourself!)

Also, what is Krull Soccer? Google is coming up empty on this one, and I've never heard of it despite having played and collected old computer games for 30+ years.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Krull Soccer is the fact that I type things entirely to entertain myself in the assumption that nobody is actually reading the things I write, so I appreciate the notice. It would ostensibly be a game based around the characters from the fantasy film Krull playing a nice game of soccer/football. Krull Football just sounds too realistic to me, though.

Similarly, you cannot actually import your characters from Eternal Dagger into Mass Effect 3. I actually did not know Phantasie II did not exist for PC, though, nor that you could skip it, so thanks for that (I will also update the other things you mentioned; I love how I have been compiling this list off and on for years and there is still more out there to learn)

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Quarex posted:

Champions of Krynn -> Death Knights of Krynn -> Dark Queen of Krynn

Fun fact: the last time I tried to do this all the way through, I was stymied by Dark Queen of Krynn, because the interface was too advanced. I had gotten so used to the Champions/Death Knights UI that I could not wrap my brain around the Dark Queen improvements. I still have never beaten Dark Queen of Krynn :(

(hello quarex)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CaptainRat posted:

Fun fact: the last time I tried to do this all the way through, I was stymied by Dark Queen of Krynn, because the interface was too advanced. I had gotten so used to the Champions/Death Knights UI that I could not wrap my brain around the Dark Queen improvements. I still have never beaten Dark Queen of Krynn :(

Ha, same here. I've also never beaten Pools of Darkness, though I think that's more to do with the fact that it's stupid hard. The difficulty curve for that line of Gold Box games is so wonky; Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds are pretty drat tough at times (OH GOD A ROOM FULL OF BEHOLDERS :supaburn:) and then Silver Blades was a total joke of a cakewalk where the only threat, literally, is getting unlucky and taking 200 damage from a Remorhaz.

And then Pools of Darkness is pretty much just dick move after dick move the whole time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CaptainRat posted:

(hello quarex)
What in the world did they change? Was Dark Queen of Krynn a first-person shooter? Wait, no, hold on, do not answer that, I want to enjoy thinking about Dark Queen of Krynn as a first-person shooter for a minute.

I assume it was all slick with shiny buttons and totally Web 2.0 before there was a Web 1.0.

I guess if they removed the "fix" command, I would not know what to do with myself while resting, so maybe that is what happened.

helo captainrat i mentioned u in the wastland2 thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Beginners tips for daggerfall?
I made a knight but im thinking of re-rolling for a magic user or something because shaking the mouse back and forth is getting boring.

Also why is Arena so hard, I go and get ambushed by dudes like everytime I rest anywhere and I hate it! :mad: