Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I so hope that is true. Never played the original, but you guys always hype it as being incredible. I hope it comes out on PSN too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It's just Endless Frontier 3 or Namco X Capcom 2 This Time With Sega. Not exactly compelling prospects especially the second one.
Namco x Capcom was the poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE76yRKfhOQ

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Flying High posted:

There is a rumor going on that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD is coming to XBOX LIVE soon!

It comes from this post from NeoGAF.com's forums

If this is true i am going to spend 2400 MS points coming soon, on this and Skullgirls!

Looks like that list mentioned Rock Band Blitz a few hours before it was announced? It's Fayk's lucky day, he'll have three more people to play with for the week it takes them to give up!

Assuming it's real I'm looking forward to it, hopefully it has GGPO but given that TM on a modern console is worth $15 to me whoever's doing the port will have to gently caress up reaaaaally bad not to get my money.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
NxC really needed better pacing and more challenging combat. Endless Frontier improves the battle system a bit but that game has a whole bunch of other problems.
That game is not going to be a fighting game though so too bad for Bayonetta fans like me.

It's crazy to me that Capcom still has the rights to JoJo's apparently but hasn't really done anything with it. Really strange. Anyway I'll pick it up and drop it in a week just like Mio Bison says.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I know this has been asked, but I don't remember the answer. If i turn off the HDR changes, does the game play just like ST? I never really knew if the emulation was perfect.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

NxC really needed better pacing and more challenging combat. Endless Frontier improves the battle system a bit but that game has a whole bunch of other problems.
That game is not going to be a fighting game though so too bad for Bayonetta fans like me.

It's crazy to me that Capcom still has the rights to JoJo's apparently but hasn't really done anything with it. Really strange. Anyway I'll pick it up and drop it in a week just like Mio Bison says.

It's not that strange because no one knows what the gently caress Jojo's is.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Brosnan posted:

Every snobby 2d player I know won't ever stop talking about it when it's brought up. That and Power Stone, the only 3d game worth their time apparently

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Boxman posted:

I know this has been asked, but I don't remember the answer. If i turn off the HDR changes, does the game play just like ST? I never really knew if the emulation was perfect.

If you choose to play ST mode it's ST. From what I've heard it's perfect or close enough not to matter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think HDR's ST mode is based off the Dreamcast version of ST which has a few of its own quirks, but I don't have a clue what they are.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dane Cook Torrent posted:

Every snobby 2d player I know won't ever stop talking about it when it's brought up.

Yeah but it's also a thing outside of being a video game, which is where the licensing thing comes in. It's not like Capcom is squandering a license to print money by not making more games with an IP that no one has heard of.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yeah.

Well it's popular in Japan (or at least the license was right?) but yeah nowadays you get a better return of investment if you make a new game that can actually sell in every region. Most of the stuff that actually stays in Japan now is super esoteric or very loving creepy.

This summer get ready to drop a steamroller until you suddenly lose interest

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

They actually have done more things with the Jojo IP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea_TopSegr0&feature=relmfu
A game based on the first generation of Jojo, "Phantom Blood"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W_Fj-qX1SE
A game based on the fifth generation of Jojo, "Golden Wind"

They just aren't fighting games.

EDIT: IIRC, there were plans to translate Golden Wind, but the author's habit of naming characters and powers after music references and his insistence that they shouldn't be changed made it a copyright landmine.

The 19th Person fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 5, 2012

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Brosnan posted:

Yeah, what is Jojo? I heard it's supposed to be a goofy ultra violent HNK (not sure if you can be more violent that HNK).

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

uncleKitchener posted:

Yeah, what is Jojo? I heard it's supposed to be a goofy ultra violent HNK (not sure if you can be more violent that HNK).

Jojo can actually be thought of as multiple series. Early on it looked and I guess felt a lot like HnK but the longer it went on the more it took a life of its own. The beginning of the story is a tale of Jonathan Joestar in 19th century England. His father finds an ancient stone mask that is able to turn people into vampires. His evil adopted brother, Dio uses it to transcend humanity, and plans to build an army of the undead, including a superpowered Jack the Ripper and reanimated Ancient Knights.Jonathan has to stop him using the secret martial art of the ripple, Hamon. The next generation involves his grandson, Joseph Joestar, fighting against the Nazi's who want to use that same power again. Third generation is Jotaro Kujo having to travel from Japan to Egypt to fight again the resurrected Dio and his minions, using the newly discovered power of "stands". Fourth is Josuke Higashitaka looking for a super powered serial killer in a small town. Fifth is Giorno Giovanna rising in the ranks in a superpowered Italian Mafia. Sixth is Jolyne Kujo surviving a prison full of superpowered people. Seventh is an alternate timeline. Seventh is Jhonny Joestar in a race across an alternate universe wild west.

One of the main draws of the series is that the author is extremely creative with powers and fights. He already gets crazy using Hamon, but the stands basically have no rules as to what is or isn't possible. Stop time. Erase time. Turn anything into a bomb. Turn anything into dinosaurs. Get eaten by a flesh eating mold if you lower your body in altitude. Turn non-living things into living things (i.e. a pipe turns into a snake). Soften things as hard as diamonds. Steal people's souls in gambling games. Turn people into children. Turn your body into string. Summon meteors. Copy and paste sounds onto things. Flatten anything, even people, by deflating them. Turn people's flesh into pages of a book and read their thoughts and memories. It goes on and on and is always amazing.

EDIT: also everything is Fab as gently caress.
http://images.wikia.com/virtualarena/it/images/f/f9/GiornoGiovanna.jpg
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/157/663/jojoposing.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lszlfpwYYO1qecd9qo1_500.png
http://i3.mangareader.net/jojos-bizarre-adventure-steel-ball-run/59/jojos-bizarre-adventure-steel-ball-run-1199360.jpg

The 19th Person fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 5, 2012

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Flying High posted:

There is a rumor going on that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD is coming to XBOX LIVE soon!

It comes from this post from NeoGAF.com's forums

If this is true i am going to spend 2400 MS points coming soon, on this and Skullgirls!

Unless there's a way to ban Petshop from online play, this won't even last a week.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Bovineicide posted:

Unless there's a way to ban Petshop from online play, this won't even last a week.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is, considering they put in the character ban system in 3soe.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Jmcrofts posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is, considering they put in the character ban system in 3soe.

That wouldn't keep people from picking him in ranked, would it? I didn't bother with matchmaking in 3SO that much.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

dj_de posted:

Apparently Capcom, Namco and SEGA are going to be making some kind of game together. There appears to be a decent amount of recent FIGHTING GAME characters presented so far.

I see Soma from Gods Eater: Burst (which is pretty much a sci-fi monster hunter) and BlackRose from .hack. I'm sold already.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
For Sega, I see Leanne from Resonance of Fate, Ichiro Ogami from Sakura Wars, and Not-John McLane from Dynamite Cop (aka Die Hard Arcade in the US). I'm interested.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Crap, I was hopeful to see Sega but the last thing Virtual On needs is another tactical RPG cameo instead of an actual fighting game.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think HDR's ST mode is based off the Dreamcast version of ST which has a few of its own quirks, but I don't have a clue what they are.

For those who care, there's a good thread in the ST forum on SRK discussing every ST port, you can read it here. The HDR info is in a post further down, but I'll c/p the important parts here:

megaultrasuper posted:

good things
Ken and other characters with the issue can't reversal super just like in arcade ST.
-old characters are there like normal
-all old glitches present
-generally 99% accurate

bad things
-hosed up button config screens
-speed is significantly slower than arcade ST, slower than Super X, and a little bit slower than the dreamcast.
-HD graphics cause some weirdness occasionally. (point blank blocked fireball appears on the wrong side of the blocker)
-one additional frame of input delay

and most importantly:

There is a glitch that occurs wherein a super move will start without shadows or the super sound effect. It's delayed by about 1/2 second. This can actually impact the outcome of a match.

If you're curious about that last part, he explains it in the thread. It's just long and I don't really want to quote another huge block of text that not many people will care about.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Brosnan posted:

It's not exactly an obscure property in Japan, and Capcom has definitely NOT had it consistently since 1999 - Namco/Bandai had it for a bit I think.

Also, Cinroth and I should be put on suicide watch. Watch them gently caress it up if it does happen.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
For me to appear you have to post my name three times and say "jojos" and also jojos owns and is the best

*edit* not knowing what Jojos (the IP) is is like saying "I am completely devoid of any good taste at all and am completely ignorant of the wonders of culture and art"

*edit 2* also jojos for xbox would own but Capcom will probably butcher it somehow because they are horrible.

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 5, 2012

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Capcom will just stick some ugly graphical filters onto jojo's, hopefully they dont pick up the psx version and instead do an arcade port and include the psx extra modes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fayk posted:

It's not exactly an obscure property in Japan, and Capcom has definitely NOT had it consistently since 1999 - Namco/Bandai had it for a bit I think.

Also, Cinroth and I should be put on suicide watch. Watch them gently caress it up if it does happen.

I'll watch you guys if you watch me when they make Darkstalkers 4: The Molassening.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'll watch you guys if you watch me when they make Darkstalkers 4: The Molassening.

Since vsav is my #2 game after Jojos, welp.

Ah well, we'll see. It could possibly be the first time a real training mode (with autoblock options etc) will exist for JJBA:HFTF (only the PSX one had it).

But then if the rumors of it happening and being Iron Galaxy are true... well, they didn't even have an input display in 3SOE.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

Capcom will just stick some ugly graphical filters onto jojo's, hopefully they dont pick up the psx version and instead do an arcade port and include the psx extra modes.

This. This forever.

I ended up owning both a copy of the dreamcast and psx version. DC for the near-arcade perfect gameplay and the psx version for all the fun comic mini games.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wouldn't mind The Molassening if it somehow became a Kaiju battle.

King Sasquash vs. The 50ft Succubus in full 3d destructible city. I'll buy that for a dollar!

RE: Jojo's. If Capcom made a port it would kill the GGPO one and we'll have to pray that it isn't terrible. I don't think it's a good idea and even if Capcom did it I don't see them profiting from it since I don't remember the game being popular outside of FG circles.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Bovineicide posted:

Yes, because pubbies are good enough to actually pull off petshop's bullshit.

I really hope this is real cause any JoJo's is good JoJo for me. Battle Tendency 4 lyfe.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Classic mode HDR is good enough to play but if you are a real ST purist who has played on arcade a lot you will likely be slightly bothered by the differences. If you had to ask the question though, the differences shouldn't matter to you.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I wouldn't mind The Molassening if it somehow became a Kaiju battle.

King Sasquash vs. The 50ft Succubus in full 3d destructible city. I'll buy that for a dollar!

RE: Jojo's. If Capcom made a port it would kill the GGPO one and we'll have to pray that it isn't terrible. I don't think it's a good idea and even if Capcom did it I don't see them profiting from it since I don't remember the game being popular outside of FG circles.

Oh man, you just made me suddenly long fiercely for a modern day King of the Monsters (SFC/SNES) remake.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

My assumption - if it's true and it's Heritage for the Future - is that it's simply them being pracitcal about what would be an inexpensive project, since it's also CPS3-based and presumably 3SOE would pave the way for them.

We'll see. No one else (other than me) will cry about it killing the GGPO community which is even smaller than the GGPO vsav community (which is doing pretty well these days, considering).

Maybe it'll be Japan only, who knows.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

AnonSpore posted:

Oh man, you just made me suddenly long fiercely for a modern day King of the Monsters (SFC/SNES) remake.
If you want kaiju games, there are three decent Godzilla games for GC, Xbox, PS2, and Wii. They aren't really fighting games, but they're fun in a Smash Bros kind of way.

sure you can
Nov 3, 2008

Which smash bros? This is important.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

sure you can posted:

Which smash bros? This is important.

I'll only play a Godzilla game if I can trip over poo poo

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I meant it's not really tournament ready, but a blast with friends. I'd say Save the Earth is the best one to get. First one, Destroy All Monsters Melee, doesn't have enough monsters and the third one, Unleashed, uses Wii controls. It does have Biollante though. Fair warning, you have to unlock almost all of the characters in all of the games.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Liar Lyre posted:

I meant it's not really tournament ready, but a blast with friends. I'd say Save the Earth is the best one to get. First one, Destroy All Monsters Melee, doesn't have enough monsters and the third one, Unleashed, uses Wii controls. It does have Biollante though. Fair warning, you have to unlock almost all of the characters in all of the games.

There's only like two or three characters to start with, one being modern Godzilla, right?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Yup. It's not too bad in DAMM because there's about 10 monsters but Unleashed is ridiculous. It's still 3 monsters to start, but nearly 30 total. There's unlock codes so you can hop right in if you like.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I think video games in general like to stick to a lot of old, dumb things just because people are so used to them, but it really shows off the issues with unlockable characters when you get games that pretty much hide all of the multiplayer content until you complete single player. It's like self-satire at that point. Especially if the game's single player mode is really bad, like just about every fighting game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

MK9 nearly had it right. Have all of the characters unlocked in multiplayer but have a story mode with characters you unlock. Now that I think about it, BlazBlue had the same idea. BlazBlue's problem is it has a terrible story mode.

• Locked thread