Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Mordecai posted:

Arcanum problem

If restarting the game doesn't fix it, it sounds like some kind of UI setting instead of a bug. It sounds vaguely familiar to me, but I don't remember how I fixed it. Try looking in the options menu, or if all else fails hitting random keys to see if there's some toggle option you accidentally hit.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

IWD2

The second IWD game includes pre-built parties that are fine for just beating the game, though I think a lot of the fun is making your own party. There are a lot of merits to a 4 person party, just like in IWD1, but I prefer to go for the full 6. It's a personal preference thing, and I just happen to like controlling more characters. I like options, I guess.

Whatever you go for, you should unquestionably take a Sorcerer and a Cleric. You don't need the huge variety of spells that the Wizard can cast, and a sorcerer can cast more of the best spells without having to prep them ahead of time. Clerics are the best class in the game and can fulfill any role while also simultaneously filling the healer role. To do this, you want to make them good aligned (so they can spontaneously convert any memorized spell to a heal spell). As for deity, I'd pick Tempus for a more tank-type cleric, or Lathander for a cleric focused on dishing out magic damage.

You're going to want a melee character, too, and the choice is between Fighter and Barbarian (or both, if you want to multiclass). Either works fine. I am fond of Fighters myself. You won't need a full time rogue, so you'll want to multiclass a rogue into something else. Rogue/Wizard is a popular one, but I hate it. I tried Rogue/Ranger once, but that character ended up sucking. If you're going to cap yourself at four characters, I'd do Rogue/Bard. With six characters, right now I find the idea of a Rogue/Barbarian appealing.

Magic tends to be more effective than melee (though at the cost of needing to micromanage and rest more), so a decent four character party might be Sorcerer, Cleric of Lathander, Barbarian/Fighter, and Rogue/Bard.

If you're going to add more characters to that, I'd add a pure monk. I love sending my monk to sneak into the middle of a room, revealing him so the enemies start closing in, and then having my sorcerer target him with a fireball. There's a really high chance he'll just dodge the fireball, so it's a great room clearer. For a sixth character, your options really start opening up. I like having a full bard, which frees up the rogue to multiclass into something else and also gives you more freedom to push your cleric into more of a tank role, too. You could give a druid or a paladin a spin, though neither are worth the slot in my opinion. You could even just leave the sixth character off entirely and compromise with 5 man party.

This already got kinda long, but now I kinda want to go make a party again. If I do, I'll come back and post about it in more detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This is really making me want to play IWD again.

I never used a bard in D&D games, any tips on feats and how to use their buffs?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Can't speak for IWD, but in IWDII the Lingering Song feat is a must, because it lets your bard do stuff besides sing. I like a full time bard because it's all the support the rest of my party needs. In addition to the songs and buffs and even a couple heals if needed, they're a perfect fit for a diplomacy/bluff character, and it's not too hard to fill out other stats to make up for whatever the party is lacking. If you don't have a ranged character, you can pump dex and take archery feats to try and make the bard fill that role, or if your rogue is already spreading points too thin, you could balance int and dex and dip into pick pockets and alchemy to round out your skills. Bards also get haste, which means more fireballs for your sorcerer.

I also find that a bard is more worthwhile in a party of six than a party of four. In either case, you're sacrificing a combat character for a pure support character, so it's nice when you're only sacrificing a sixth of your party to that role instead of a quarter. Plus, since their songs affect the entire party, you're technically getting more out of them with more characters. If everyone regenerates 3hp per round, six characters get a collective 18hp instead of 12hp for four. Speaking of which, I don't know if patches have fixed it, but the regeneration song was bugged in the original game to always tick as soon as you activated it. Using that, you could pause the game and then just spam click the song button to regen your entire party to full in places where you couldn't rest, or even mid-combat.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Genpei Turtle posted:

"APAR 5N 12E 2U" and the legions of dead berserkers slain by my wind dragon will be forever etched in my brain. Too bad BT2 and 3 didn't have equivalent grind spots (at least that I found)

396 berserkers takes a while to beat, and you need to be fairly buff already not to have some risk of taking a beating. An easier place to grind is the 36 ghouls in the Catacombs Level 3, 9E 3N. To get there, walk 3W, 5S, 1E from the stairs. This is much easier to beat for lower level characters, especially if you can cast Repel Dead (REDE), and you can just return to the stairs and come back down to fight it over and over.

The best place to grind in Bard's Tale II is level 1 of the Maze of Dread. Find a group containing more than 1 Dream Mage, cast Disrupt Illusion (DIIL), then kill off everything else. Dream Mages don't do anything other than summon illusions, and Disrupt Illusion will automatically dispel them, so all you do is sit there and wait while more illusions are summoned and disrupted. The only thing to watch out for is that you don't do this so long you cause integer overflow.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CrookedB posted:

Age of Decadence, the quite old school turn-based RPG mentioned earlier in this thread, is now up for pre-order:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2584.0.html

The price is $25, and the anticipated release date is sometime 2013.
How the hell do you use skills in this? My assassin just wanders into a house and starts up a conversation instead of trying to sneak up on his targets.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 5, 2012

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Zereth posted:

How the hell do you use skills in this? My assassin just wanders into a house and starts up a conversation instead of trying to sneak up on his targets.

That's a feature!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

the black husserl posted:

That's a feature!
... You're kidding.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Yes, it's a well known issue feature thing. For what it's worth, the devs do plan on fine-tuning the "you suddenly find yourself in the middle of the enemies" aspect. :v:

But given that Age of Decadence is basically a "Fallout meets Darklands" game, i.e. a "normal" RPG meets Choose Your Own Adventure/RPG book, that kind of issue isn't too surprising, really. As a huge Darklands fan I personally found the approach it uses refreshing, although some things can be quite annoying. It's a very niche game for sure.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Zereth posted:

... You're kidding.

He said one of his regrets was not having the resources to implement a turn based sneaking mechanism, so now it's just a skill check.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Thanks for the advice, guys. After picking up Dakkon and becoming a mage, Planescape is a lot less about getting my rear end kicked and a lot more about moving from plot point to plot point while murdering everything hostile in-between with spells and Morte and Dakkon on cleanup duty. I also just grabbed Annah, but is there anything reason to thief it up in this game? Those skills seem mostly useless. I'm at the bit where you're supposed to find the place where your body got dumped...how long is this game anyway? Do I get to actually leave Sigil soon?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
You get to go to different parts of Sigil first, with some cooler stuff than in the Hive.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wolfsheim posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. After picking up Dakkon and becoming a mage, Planescape is a lot less about getting my rear end kicked and a lot more about moving from plot point to plot point while murdering everything hostile in-between with spells and Morte and Dakkon on cleanup duty. I also just grabbed Annah, but is there anything reason to thief it up in this game? Those skills seem mostly useless. I'm at the bit where you're supposed to find the place where your body got dumped...how long is this game anyway? Do I get to actually leave Sigil soon?

You will leave Sigil, but not to anywhere you necessarily want to be, and it'll mostly be toward the end of the game. If you do no side content and just stick to the main plot I bet you could clean it up in like 15-20 hours. I did as much side content as possible in my recent run and my run was close to 50 hours.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I did as much side content as possible in my recent run and my run was close to 50 hours.

Yeah, no, I love that poo poo. I love that in certain instances if you approach a character who doesn't trust you, just phrasing something wrong can be the difference between picking up a decent sidequest or fighting them to death.

Only thing that annoys me so far is (1)no merchant will buy everything, I have to run around like threes map just to dump my pile of jagged knives and random copper jewelry, and no one seems to want stuff like rags and troll skulls, and (2)even after joining the Dustmen, I still run into quests where I'm like "Dead Contract what's that?" with no dialogue that acknowledges I know their whole situation already. I understand, crazy reactivity is probably asking too much of a game made like twelve years ago (and seriously most RPGs now don't even do it) I think I just got a little spoiled by Alpha Protocol and New Vegas. Also it seems like there's a very obvious 'right way' of doing things (talking it out, getting mad XP) and a dumb way (threatening everyone all the time) that punishes you by making you fight more and give you less XP. Reminds me of KOTOR2.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
A classic computer RPG thread? This is HIGHLY pertinent to my interests. The second I got my Commodore 64 for Christmas 87 it relegated the NES of the previous year to a second stringer. Microprose flight sims were the start.

But late Winter in early 88 is when it would begin. Ultima 1. Then Bard's Tale. It was ALL OVER for me after that. The next Christmas might as well have been called the Christmas of the RPG. I asked for NOTHING but C64 RPGs. (Except for AD&D ones as my idiot psycho mom believed that 60 Minutes bullshit report. I'd make up for it later on though.) See back then there were genuine discount software retailers that did mail order and even had COD as again, nuts mother.

I think that year I got Ultima 3, 4, 5, Shard of Spring, Wizard's Crown, and Bard's Tale 2. May have also gotten Wizardry. I know it was roughly 200 bucks worth of games, but the store had U4 and 5 for 40 each instead of the 60 MSRP.

Basically the next year was the Genesis, but the following and final 2 Christmases in school were mostly RPGs.

Right now I am casually playing this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/temple-of-apshai-trilogy

That's right the third pillar of ancient rear end CRPGs. Temple of Apshai, aka Dunjonquest. The series that put Epyx on the map.

I've been collecting for the Atari 8 bit computer line, which for US computer folk might have been the Amstrad CPC equivalent in the UK. (Spectrum being poo poo, C64 being KING in both US and UK. In the US the Apple 2 was about as lovely as the Speccy for games without the super cheap pricing. But was a decent applications computer with various plug in cards. My GOD does Mockingboard music sound amazing.)

Middle of the road techwise compared to the Apple 2 and C64 but lasted quite a long time and sold a good 4 million systems. Its heyday was the early 80s. Much of its software was also on the C64 and Apple 2 and some games like Origin System titles, used that weird color blending malarkey that looks terrible on emulators. (Also how DOS PCs could have more color on composite monitors.)

So obviously looking for RPGs was first on the docket. I've collected a couple now, but while the Atari computer collecting community isn't as insane as the NES/SNES, some stuff has still eluded me. (Or in many cases I intentionally lowball bid because the games weren't tested. So far my only bad disk was.. the MISB Pitstop 2 game.)

But right now for the Atari I have:
Dunjonquest (Gateway to Apshai original Atari version. Was on cassette. My cassette drive decided to eat the tape. Yet then worked fine with a bloody blank music tape. :psyduck: Even worse? I may have had the RARE version which had the whole game on 1 tape side.)

Rescue at Rigel, which is a sci fi RPG using the Dunjonquest rules.

Gateway to Apshai, which is possibly the first action RPG, and one of the first cartridge based RPGs.

And the Apshai Trilogy which is Dunjonquest and its 2 expansion packs (Yes Apshai was also one of the first games with expansion packs. It also had some stand alone mini quest games, and a sequel with expansions called Hellfire Warrior. Sadly Hellfire Warrior never got the Trilogy treatment.) with improved graphics, interface, music, and generally the game made nice on disk when original Apshai games were mostly evil evil cassettes.

See the Dunjonquest games were sort of top down roguelikes. Except they had a preset dungeon layout. And in what may have been another first, they had entries in the manual to read for each room with flavor text and sometimes giving you hints where to look for secret doors. Copy protection, computer memory space helper, game fluff. It did all 3. And would be a beloved bit of the AD&D Gold Box and Wasteland games.

Except.. the Dunjonquest versions also had a terrible interface in spite of so many firsts. Move UDLR and go that direction? No. You had a couple keys on the keyboard not near each other for turning, and used the number key to input how many spaces you moved. The Trilogy version had mouse support for the Amiga/ST versions, and my Atari 8 bit version uses the joystick for some commands. (Up moves you 5 spaces, L and R turn you, Fire and direction does various attack choices.) You still need to use the keyboard but its a LOT better.

I still need to get the Hellfire Warrior series though. And Crush Crumble & Chomp which was the Dunjonquest engine used for a Giant Monster Smashes City game. (Protoype of The Movie Monster Game also by Epyx.)

Its sad to see this series barely get talked about or even acknowledged. Yes the PLATO network RPGs were pretty much the inspirations of the microcomputer RPGs that started our dorky wastes of time, but Apshai, Wizardry, and Ultima proved there was a home market for them, and refined it.

(Other ancient RPGs I am still looking for include Autoduel, Telengard, and Alternate Reality City/Dungeon amongst others.)

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

CrookedB posted:

Yes, it's a well known issue feature thing. For what it's worth, the devs do plan on fine-tuning the "you suddenly find yourself in the middle of the enemies" aspect. :v:

But given that Age of Decadence is basically a "Fallout meets Darklands" game, i.e. a "normal" RPG meets Choose Your Own Adventure/RPG book, that kind of issue isn't too surprising, really. As a huge Darklands fan I personally found the approach it uses refreshing, although some things can be quite annoying. It's a very niche game for sure.

Pretty much, the Choose Your Own Adventure thing is a huge element in the game and if one doesn't like that, then you'll likely not enjoy the game at all. All skill activations are used in text adventures, except the combat gameplay.

That said, this is also a public beta and they are gathering feedback. While they certainly won't change the main gameplay design at this point, they can certainly tweak individual scenes/encounters (and they are).

VaeVictis
May 28, 2005

CrookedB posted:

One Might and Magic clone that instantly comes to mind is Yendorian Tales: Chapters 2 and 3. http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/yendorian-tales-the-tyrants-of-thaine

EDIT: Forgot to mention the series was shareware.

Downloaded the demo for chapter 2 and been playing since yesterday in DOSBox. The more I've played it the more I think this is the one :) Can't thank you enough for finding this little gem.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Was Stonekeep any good?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Was Stonekeep any good?

Yeah, I thought was pretty good. It has kind of an Eye of the Beholder vibe to it. It's very early 90s with its janky live actors and voice acting, but as dungeon crawls go it's pretty solid. You're probably not going to find everything without a walkthrough though. It has some really obscure secrets along the line of "push this one brick in a long hallway full of identical brick walls to open a secret door" points but none are required to beat the game.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Stonekeep is the best Muppet based first person dungeon crawl ever made.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Fallout 1 is free for the next two days on GoG.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Captain Rufus posted:

I've been collecting for the Atari 8 bit computer line,
You are a lunatic after my own heart. It is seemingly pretty uncommon to find other people who got into CRPGs via the Atari 800/XL/XE/Xcetera. I probably spent more time playing Temple of Apshai Trilogy, Ultima III, and Return of Heracles on my Atari than I did any other games ... even if my attention to Ultima III was partially because I could not figure out how to save my characters and always had to start over, tee hee.

I always thought of Gemstone Warrior as the most direct "spiritual predecessor" to the Diablo games.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I have an Atari 800 in my closet but have never hooked it up.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Was Stonekeep any good?

There happens to be a pretty decent Stonekeep Let's Play underway right now.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

AlmightyBob posted:

I have an Atari 800 in my closet but have never hooked it up.
The time is right. The market is prepared. Quite possibly the best home translation of Frogger awaits.

Actually the only games really worth playing are the RPGs and the things that are so completely crazy that nobody ever talks about them. Like Boulders & Bombs, where you control either a spinning auger clearing a path for a spelunker, or the alien birds that fly overhead and shoot lasers at the spelunker (and the lasers can also grow into mold to impede the progress of the auger).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Q-a4F-Fwk

I think this counts as a derail now. As an apology, have the best DOS CRPG character generation music ever (though the static that you can hear is not actually part of the song, this guy's rig is totally messed up):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMyQ2jflzrQ

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah, I thought was pretty good. It has kind of an Eye of the Beholder vibe to it. It's very early 90s with its janky live actors and voice acting, but as dungeon crawls go it's pretty solid. You're probably not going to find everything without a walkthrough though. It has some really obscure secrets along the line of "push this one brick in a long hallway full of identical brick walls to open a secret door" points but none are required to beat the game.

The problem with it being really early '90s in its look and feel is that it was released in '95. In an era where computer and video game graphical technology was encountering a major evolution every other year, Stonekeep felt like it was 4 years behind. Partly because it was delayed for 4 years. Arena was already out and Daggerfall had previews in magazines and was coming out in less than a year, so everyone saw Stonekeep as a relic and ignored it. It was kind of the Daikatana of the RPG world.

The difference I guess is that from a gameplay standpoint, Stonekeep was still very solid. It stands up with the best first person dungeon crawlers, I think.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Another early first person dungeon crawler was Bloodwych, which came out a year or two after Dungeon Master, and has the distinction of featuring co-op split screen play. Playing co-op, each player uses a joystick to control a pointer/cursor to click on icons to cast spells and do stuff, plus keyboard shortcuts for movement (WASD for one player, arrow keys for the other). It'd probably be fun to play on a big screen tv using gamepads with something like joy2key to map the movement hotkeys.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

seorin posted:

The second IWD game includes pre-built parties that are fine for just beating the game,
Fun fact: every designer who wanted to include a starter party had to beat the game with that starter party.

Mine was the Hands of Fury.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

h_double posted:

Another early first person dungeon crawler was Bloodwych, which came out a year or two after Dungeon Master, and has the distinction of featuring co-op split screen play. Playing co-op, each player uses a joystick to control a pointer/cursor to click on icons to cast spells and do stuff, plus keyboard shortcuts for movement (WASD for one player, arrow keys for the other). It'd probably be fun to play on a big screen tv using gamepads with something like joy2key to map the movement hotkeys.

This sounds awesome! I always thought Double Dungeons on the Turbo Graphx was the only first person dungeon crawler that did this.

As for Stonekeep, a fun game but I went through the exact same thing Dr. Video Games describes. I saw it next to previews of stuff like Quake/Future Shock/Daggerfall and didn't even give it as second thought.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Quarex posted:

The time is right. The market is prepared. Quite possibly the best home translation of Frogger awaits.

Actually the only games really worth playing are the RPGs and the things that are so completely crazy that nobody ever talks about them. Like Boulders & Bombs, where you control either a spinning auger clearing a path for a spelunker, or the alien birds that fly overhead and shoot lasers at the spelunker (and the lasers can also grow into mold to impede the progress of the auger).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Q-a4F-Fwk

There are actually tons of good Atari 8 bit computer games. But this is the RPG thread so I won't much go into them. This message is gonna be words as gently caress as is.
(Dont worry non Atari fans. There is some Windows stuff towards the end.)

I've actually been slowly covering the Atari 8 bit series on my blog though I haven't gotten to the RPG content yet. Because I am lazy.

But for anyone who wants to know what the gently caress we are talking about because this does seem like the thread I could actually talk about some of these games (the RPG ones anyhow) here you go: (Hopefully this isn't site whoring or anything.)

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2011/11/lets-play-party-like-its-1987-lets.html
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2011/11/lets-play-party-like-its-1987-lets_19.html
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2011/11/lets-play-party-like-its-1987-lets_30.html
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2011/12/lets-play-party-like-its-1987-lets.html
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2011/12/toyniverse-plot-toyniverselets_25.html

(Consider the above to be a picture and words laden pile of information on almost everything you wanted to know about Atari 8 bit computers but were too young to give a poo poo about so you really didn't.)

I also kind of want an Atari ST since there are some great mid 80s CRPG ports on there that are better than any other version at the time, and not all were on the Amigas either. (Phantasie is in this category. As was some of the Questron games. And Ultima 2 of all things.)

But if anyone here wants to really go old school with their RPGs the Atari 8 bit machines are a nice choice. The Apple 2s and C64s are in some ways better but as I mentioned its a less popular machine with capabilities in between those two so prices for old software is a lot lower. Less people to fight with outside of ultra rares like Bounty Bob Strikes Back! and Pastfinder which aren't RPGs and beyond the scope of this thread.

If you just want to emulate, the Altira emulator is your best bet. Blows Atariwin out of the water, and has closer to actual Atari 8 bit color palette choices. (If you wonder why many youtube videos of Atari 8 bit games look weird its because they are using the wrong palette.) Atarimania is also a good resource if you want programs and old magazine scans. There is also a thriving European hacker community making awesome bits of hardware for the real machines like SD Card readers and snapshot devices and the like. Most of them run about a C note. As a collector they seem a bit expensive since I want to own the original games anyhow. But as a way to actively play them its a good thing to think about. (Though might as well emulate then. Not to mention for me the Commodore 1084 monitor I showed in an update sometimes cuts out and I have to give it a tap to the side like its an old jalopy. Probably capacitors going. :smith: )

WINDOWS STUFF STARTS HERE
I also managed another retro RPG bit this week. I finally got VMWare Player to install Windows 98SE. See Win 98 came with a floppy disk that was required for install. Well I don't have an internal floppy, and its really not worth buying an external as VERY few Windows 9x games were on 3.5s and my DOS machine has one for most of the old DOS titles that did. (And given how 3.5s seem to be more fragile than 5 1/4s half of the disks are dead and I either have to hunt on ebay for a CD version or go to an abandonware site, DL the game I legitimately own already, and burn to a CD to play on the DOS PC.)

The trick is as such:

1: DL VMWare Player from VMWare's site.
2: Get an IMG file of the Win 98 SE boot disk.
3: Get Windows 98 SE on CDROM. I bought one off of ebay.
4: Install VMWare Player.
5: Set up your Win 98 SE Virtual machine. Have your CD in the drive, and your boot disk IMG file as the img for the floppy drive. Make sure you have the floppy drive checked as to be used at startup.
6: Program will begin install. Itll drop you to DOS till your virtual partition drive file (I made mine 8 gigabytes of space. Its just for games anyhow. And for games circa 95-01 thats PLENTY of space.) is properly set. See you will need to Fdisk C, then Format C: in this virtual 8 gig HD before Win 98 SE will be happy with it.
7: You can then begin normal plane jane Windows OS install and just follow prompts.
8: Once you now have a Virtual Windows running while normal Windows (or OSX but VMWare Fusion or Parallels is a paid app for those machines.) you need to install VMWare tools which gives your modern hardware to be usable in 98 land. (There are various check boxes and options I didn't describe. Just make sure to look over options and the like as you go.)
9: You may need to DL some files to get sound working properly. (If anyone gives a drat enough to want the exact files and such let me know and I can give you names for things like the boot disk and sound bits.)
10: Now you can set Win 98's colors to 32 bits and MOST Win 9x titles will be fine, though a few will need you to switch to 256 color mode.

Congrats you can now play most of what XP and Win 7 won't run. You DO lose 3d acceleration even if you install Direct X 9c which is the best 98 SE can handle though. VMWare just doesnt do D3D in 98 it seems.

For SOME programs you can run in Win 7 with D3D or even a program that will make your older games think you have a Voodoo card installed. (Again if people want the name of it I can post it.)

But lots of games in the Win 9x era just dont care and wont run and very little has source ports or patches or rereleases ala the D&D Infinity Engine collection that is Win 7 compatible (then get EasyTutu, Widescreen Mod, Gibberlings 3 stuff).

And that's where VMWare comes into play. Note many modern joysticks and the like might not be accepted by it either so keep a Sidewinder 2 or other older USB controller around for them.

Now you can play Mech 2 Mercs, Magic the Gathering Microprose, XWing vs Tie Fighter, Warlords 3, Warhammer, and many other games that refuse to run in Windows XP and 7. This gives us more RPG and near RPGs we can play without having to do like Lazy Game Reviews and have a half dozen different PCs around. You may want to have CPU Grabber around as well. Even with 2 OSes going HOMM3 Complete said my Win 98 VMachine with only 1 core covering it was 3600mhz. For a game that's recommended CPU was 166. Some titles never had frame limiters, like the SSI 40K games. (And most of them are kind of RPGs. More SRPG than normal but hey.. the Electronic RPG is a ridiculously wide genre by this point.)

Oh yeah one more retro RPG thing:
Steam has Ys The Oath in Felghana for 15 bucks now. Ys was really a PC RPG series in Japan we mostly see on consoles in the West. (They also have the best version of Wizardry 1-3 on PCs in Japan. This is unfair.) Oath in Felghana is a remake of the 3rd Ys game which was originally a 2d game. Oath turns it to a isometric top down. And unlike Ys 1-2 you actually have jumping and sword swinging controls instead of the infamous walk into dudes combat Ys started with. Its also the best Ys game and I think it might be my favorite action RPG ever made. Go check it out. Loved it on the PSP. Maybe if enough people buy it XSeed will bring more of the JPCRPGs out on Steam.

VVVV Sorcerian is another JPN RPG that has had computer remakes in the modern era. Also the old PC version in Japan even had expansion disks. Falcom is basically a computer games company. Like one of the few Japanese game developers who were primarily PC and not based around making porno games. Hardcore Gaming 101 has plenty of good articles on them. They were also invaluable in me getting into Apshai.

(And no idea about the Windows thing. I went 95-98SE-XP-7 as my Windows OSes and was overall fine with them outside of Windows' usual suckiness pre Win 7. (Which really just wants to be OSX, except without stupidly limited BC Apple loves. No Rosetta in Lion? gently caress you Apple glad I got off your overpriced no user self upgrade train.)

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 6, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Japan (and Falcom in particular) put out so many great dungeon crawlers, it was very popular stuff there. Japan even got console ports of stuff like Ultima Underworld and later Wizardry games that we missed out on here. I really don't understand why Falcom hasn't gotten it all out on Steam, especially since, like Ys III, they actually did do good remakes of many of their best old games.

This reminds me of Japanese PC98 dungeon crawler that is very cool: Last Armageddon. Working Designs was going to bring the Turbo CD and later Sega CD ports out in the US but it never happened.

For 1988, Last Armageddon was unsual. It's pretty gory for an old dungeon crawler and the premise was unheard of at the time. It takes place after an biblical armageddon where demons rise up for the earth, only a few people are left alive to restart human society, etc. The few remaining humans give into various vices and become monsters themselves. The protagonists basically spend time socializing in this demonic pub until space jockeys arrive in their macross cruisers (no really the developer, BrainGrey, didn't even TRY to be original here) to occupy and colonize the planet. Then God sends a monolith tablet down that says the few sentient demons left should bust up these guys and other demons and become worthy of becoming human again. Your guys don't even have names, they're just "Skeleton," etc. and are kind of sort of immortal. I'm sorry to have gushed so much just this is one of those great Japanese RPGs from back in the day that constantly straddles the line between cheesy and badass. The late eighties were a time to behold.

PC98 Intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSzgKCRssSI
Turbo CD Intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOWJLuaV9s
Some gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVL8wafYFf8

The game is also an interesting look at the culture of the platforms of their time. The Turbo CD in Japan was sort of the hardcore "WOAH IT'S JUST LIKE AN ANIME" system so most games ported to it from the PC98 are subtly redone to have character designs more in line with that and the music is always redone to be more optimistic.

Has anyone here played Dinosaur Resurrection or Sorcerian? Two Falcom games that are pretty rad. The former is like a more complex Arcana, the latter is a sidescroller with very, very, very charming character designs and music (I especially love the way your party follows you around everywhere, Falcom has your party move in a similar wall of death formation in Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer). Sorcerian actually did come out in the US on PC courtesy of Sierra (same as Ys I). Even though Sorcerian controls like an action game, inbetween quests years pass where you choose what your characters are training in, who's in your party, etc. It even does the Darklands thing and lets you create characters that are much older in exchange for superior magical abilities but less time before they retire. There's a Turbo CD version of this game that is fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikNUJIvauMM#t=4m50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pv83vfvQHU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7VnokcpRR0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9VEa3_qwY8

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 6, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Neo Rasa, I have never heard of Last Armageddon ever (no surprise per what you said), but that PC Engine intro is blowing my mind. Thanks for that, since I imagine Japanese DOS(-equivalent) RPGs are not something most of us know much about. Other than how the Tunnels & Trolls DOS game was apparently a port from the Japanese version, which explains why it was so mind-numbingly confusing looking to we stupid ... ahhahahah, a talking slime thing, this Last Armageddon intro is hilarious and I have on idea what is going on. Edit yet again: Oh my god, the battle music in that game is the most amazingly inappropriate but great combat song ever.

Neo Rasa posted:

Has anyone here played Dinosaur Resurrection or Sorcerian?
OH I MISSED IT Yes, I played Sorcerian, I thought it was pretty great; I bought both it and Zeliard, which has to be my favorite DOS action/RPG ever, not that there is much competition in that regard. Sorcerian I only really remember because I found some place where you could stand on a log and hold down the space bar with a rock and get infinite experience from the little weak things that constantly popped out of the cave walls to attack you. Edit: Ahahaha, from the gameplay video you posted, it seems like there were probably areas like that in just about every level.

Captain Rufus posted:

Less people to fight with outside of ultra rares like Bounty Bob Strikes Back! and Pastfinder which aren't RPGs and beyond the scope of this thread.
:raise: Bounty Bob Strikes Back! is ultra-rare? Like, at all, or an actual complete copy? I have owned it since it came out, and I suppose it was a lot more fun than Miner 2049er, but I assume it is not ultra-rare due to its fun level but rather because not many were made or something?

Captain Rufus posted:

WINDOWS STUFF STARTS HERE
I also managed another retro RPG bit this week. I finally got VMWare Player to install Windows 98SE.

Now you can play Mech 2 Mercs, Magic the Gathering Microprose, XWing vs Tie Fighter, Warlords 3, Warhammer, and many other games that refuse to run in Windows XP and 7. This gives us more RPG and near RPGs we can play without having to do like Lazy Game Reviews and have a half dozen different PCs around. You may want to have CPU Grabber around as well. Even with 2 OSes going HOMM3 Complete said my Win 98 VMachine with only 1 core covering it was 3600mhz. For a game that's recommended CPU was 166. Some titles never had frame limiters, like the SSI 40K games. (And most of them are kind of RPGs. More SRPG than normal but hey.. the Electronic RPG is a ridiculously wide genre by this point.)
This is going to sound critical when it is just curious: is Windows 98SE really the best version of Windows for the Post-Windows-95-Pre-Modern-Windows gaming enthusiast? I would have thought Windows 2000 would be preferred, but I assume you are going to tell me that due to its NT integration it does not work as well?
Plus I never had any problems with Windows ME but I realize I am the only person anywhere in the world who feels this way

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 6, 2012

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This is my favorite thread in the universe. All of these games just make me so gosh darned happy. I hope I get stranded on a desert island some day with all of these games.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

seorin posted:

I like Icewind Dale II far more than I have any right to. The first game is good as well (even better in some respects), but I just don't like the 2nd ed D&D rules as much as I like 3rd. In either system, though, the satisfaction of putting together your own party from scratch is incredible. I think I spent something like six or eight hours when I first got Icewind II just making spreadsheets and poring over the manual to make the most badass, game-breaking party. Man, that scratched an itch that hasn't been scratched to that degree since.
I am with you. Icewind Dale 2 remains one of my favorite games ever, I love pretty much everything about it.

edit: This thread just made me re-install the game. Time to come up with a new party and write some background stories that no one (except for me) will ever read.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 6, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Has Icewind Dale 2 been modded to any success? I mean actually good ones. I think I'll be playing through the Icewind Dale series for the first time once I finish up this massive BGT run. Is it worth importing characters from any of these games, i.e. do you get anything special? Or maybe I should just say 'gently caress it' and get that Neverwinter Nights mod?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Has Icewind Dale 2 been modded to any success? I mean actually good ones. I think I'll be playing through the Icewind Dale series for the first time once I finish up this massive BGT run. Is it worth importing characters from any of these games, i.e. do you get anything special? Or maybe I should just say 'gently caress it' and get that Neverwinter Nights mod?

I'd just suggest you say "gently caress it" and just start fresh. Also, I REALLY didn't like Neverwinter's graphics and gameplay engine; everything looked pretty bad.edit:oops, I didn't realize it used NWN2 for the mod. I'd still play the infinity engine version. The art and other assets of the Icewind Dale games just look so drat pretty in the infinity engine.

Be sure you get the widescreen mod and the various fixpacks from ttp://www.gibberlings3.net/. Also, http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/ there are probably instructions for what to use, and in what order.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 6, 2012

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Thanks for the link to the Stonekeep LP!

Here's an old Origin RPG some of you might remember - Bad Blood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Blood_(video_game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GGX95QP0gE - opening credits and initial gameplay.

Post-WW3, mutants live in the wild, and humans live in big cities where mutants are kept as slaves. You pick either a hulking troll-type, a human-type with an eyeblast, or a pure human, and are assigned the task of preventing a war between humans and mutants.

There really wasn't much to write home about. I picked it up because it was an Origin game, and hey, Origin made Wing Commander, so this HAS to be good! It was a long slog to get good (you had to get decent gear) and the story wasn't anything memorable. Always stuck with me, though, because of the box art.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Drifter posted:

I'd just suggest you say "gently caress it" and just start fresh. Also, I REALLY didn't like Neverwinter's graphics and gameplay engine; everything looked pretty bad.edit:oops, I didn't realize it used NWN2 for the mod. I'd still play the infinity engine version. The art and other assets of the Icewind Dale games just look so drat pretty in the infinity engine.

The thing that is really jarring about going to NWN2 from an Infinity Engine game or even NWN1 is going from beautiful painted portraits to hideous Poser people portraits.

I enjoyed the NWN2 campaign, but ~ugh~ :cry:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Might & Magic games are all on sale at GOG. I've never even heard of Crusader of Might & Magic before, but it looks terrible. I already have M&M 6 Limited Edition which includes all the earlier games, which I got mostly for World of Xeen, I've not really played much of 6 but it seems alright. Are 7 and 8 worth picking up? What about 9? I hear it's pretty poo poo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megadyptes posted:

Might & Magic games are all on sale at GOG. I've never even heard of Crusader of Might & Magic before, but it looks terrible. I already have M&M 6 Limited Edition which includes all the earlier games, which I got mostly for World of Xeen, I've not really played much of 6 but it seems alright. Are 7 and 8 worth picking up? What about 9? I hear it's pretty poo poo.

6, 7 & 8 all are all built off a similar (if not the same) engine. They look as good as any of the Might & Magic games get. They all play the same, as well (you played 6, well, a couple of small iterative changes and all of a sudden you're looking at seven, and so on). I played 6 & 7 both several years ago when they were more popular and yeah, I remember having fun with 'em. There was KIND OF a branching plotline (mostly a midgame go evil or go good type choice) but I liked all the classes and spells and fighting were fun enough. Don't EVER play M&M 9. EVER. Do you hear me? Say it. Say you won't play it.

That being said, if ever you have an opportunity to get Wizardry 8, get rid of all of your Might and Magics (except M&M 3) and play the poo poo out of Wiz 8.

Heroes Chronicles just looks like more of HoMM 3. Which is probably fun.

Crusaders looks like a bad version of Dark Messiah, which you can get on STEAM (just play the demo of it if you want a taste).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As far as the I know the only "choice" about going good or evil in Might and Magic 6 is whether you want your party to have masters of Light magic or masters of Dark, and as long as you save a few major quests you can easily murder enough townsfolk to qualify for the evil instructor and then go around being heroic until you qualify for the good one.

(Actually, the reverse is probably much safer. There's a finite amount of good guy points in the world, but infinite opportunities for evil.)