Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Beaumont posted:

I definitely didn't have a clue how I was supposed to read paragraph 24.

Make sure you pick up a copy of the paragraph book next time you play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Smol posted:

:siren: Obsidian is on board. :siren:

$2,059,518 + $40,610 from PayPal = $2,100,128

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH1H69-8dzs

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Smol posted:

:siren: Obsidian is on board. :siren:

$2,059,518 + $40,610 from PayPal = $2,100,128

gently caress yes! This has me more excited than anything else game related this year.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Alright, now that it looks like Obsidian is aboard I can't wait to see what comes of it. I am particularly interested in the setting and plot they plan on using... it sounds like Fargo has had the design docs hanging around for a long time and wasn't just planning to pull stuff out of his rear end.

I don't know the plot of Wasteland too well, but I do know the world ended in 1998 and the game took place in 2087, as well as the basic premise of how the Rangers got started (their influence is seen in most Fallout games now: The Ranges in FO2, The Regulators in FO3, the Desert Rangers in FO:NV) but other than that know basically next to nothing. So I really won't know one way other the other, until all the bitching starts, that is.

I do hope they pull some ideas out of the Fallout Bible. There's a lot of cool stuff in there that will obviously never see the light of day, so I'd rather somebody utilize the ideas then just leaving them to rot on paper. Though one thing I do hope they avoid is the 'always moving the universe forward' thing that has now pushed Fallout games over 200 years after the original events. It's starting to lose it's 'post-apocalypse' feel.

Anyway, hurry up with the concept art and plot synopsis already Brian.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't know the plot of Wasteland too well, but I do know the world ended in 1998 and the game took place in 2087, as well as the basic premise of how the Rangers got started (their influence is seen in most Fallout games now: The Ranges in FO2, The Regulators in FO3, the Desert Rangers in FO:NV) but other than that know basically next to nothing. So I really won't know one way other the other, until all the bitching starts, that is.

Tycho in Fallout 1 details the history of the Desert Rangers back from Nevada, where Wasteland takes place. He even makes a reference to that "fat freak" in Vegas, ala Fat Freddy from Wasteland.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
To whoever was asking earlier about how I pull my data and make my chart, I just use the spreadsheet I built (which I am reworking now, thank a lot new donation tiers...) and plug in the numbers from the kickstarter page. I'm on a Windows PC, and I don't know of an easy way to make a script that pulls the numbers and compiles them for me, so I just brute force it. Takes about 5 minutes each time, not too bad, really.

So, no, I don't know how many of these donators are first timers, or what else they'v done, or anything like that. I just look at the raw totals.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well I had my head stuck in the sand and didn't even know there was a kickstarter project about this, right until I read that Cracked article and saw that great video saying "Please give me money, none of these producers will!" I've spent too much money this month already but $15 is better than nothing (and will get me the game in a year and a half when it comes out, so...)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Though one thing I do hope they avoid is the 'always moving the universe forward' thing that has now pushed Fallout games over 200 years after the original events. It's starting to lose it's 'post-apocalypse' feel.

Time to drop some more of those a-bombs!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Speedball posted:

Well I had my head stuck in the sand and didn't even know there was a kickstarter project about this, right until I read that Cracked article and saw that great video saying "Please give me money, none of these producers will!" I've spent too much money this month already but $15 is better than nothing (and will get me the game in a year and a half when it comes out, so...)

That's the spirit! Now to figure out which sites haven't yet been advertised on/exploited yet!

In all honesty, besides some of the larger forums, Twitter and Facebook, and places like Cracked, where would you even find people who are interested at this point? Most gaming forums already know about this project, right?

Edit: And I don't mind that the universe is moving forward, because it means there's a real sense of progression regarding stories you've partaken in. I can think of at least one more story to push things ahead at this point, and worst case scenario you can always explore stuff on the side.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One of my favourite things in Fallout: New Vegas was the huge, huge statue of the two rangers shaking hands. The NCR Rangers and the Desert Rangers united for the first time. Best callback to Wasteland ever.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Updated Chart:

I was going to do a new prediction graph, but instead, I'll say that this project is averaging a little bit more than $90k per day, but that includes initial donation money mania and the Obsidian bump. A prediction graph of $90k a day would look like this:

Now, when there are no major changes or announcements, we average about $30k per day, which would look like this:

Neither of these graphs have the expected "final days" bump at the end, and do not suppose that the current bump caused by publicity and tier changes will hold out much longer (if they do, then both graphs would be slightly steeper). Also, neither includes paypal at all.

So there you have it. At worst, around 2.4 million. At best, around 3 million (plus bump). I'll be interested to see where we end up!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I knew they'd get 2.1. I'm saving my celebrations for 2.5.

Kickstarter should just partner with Paypal so that a "donate via paypal" button appears once the project is funded.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

RagingBoner posted:

Updated Chart:

I was going to do a new prediction graph, but instead, I'll say that this project is averaging a little bit more than $90k per day, but that includes initial donation money mania and the Obsidian bump. A prediction graph of $90k a day would look like this:

Now, when there are no major changes or announcements, we average about $30k per day, which would look like this:

Neither of these graphs have the expected "final days" bump at the end, and do not suppose that the current bump caused by publicity and tier changes will hold out much longer (if they do, then both graphs would be slightly steeper). Also, neither includes paypal at all.

So there you have it. At worst, around 2.4 million. At best, around 3 million (plus bump). I'll be interested to see where we end up!

Can you get me the data per day? Like, just the number of dollars the kickstarter earned per day up until this morning at 6:30/7AM.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Francois Kofko posted:

Can you get me the data per day? Like, just the number of dollars the kickstarter earned per day up until this morning at 6:30/7AM.

Here ya go. That's per hour, do your own maths.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

RagingBoner posted:

Here ya go. That's per hour, do your own maths.

Thanks a bunch!

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I like the progression in fallout because in 1, 2, and New Vegas it's all stuff that, to an extent, your character is involved in. It's no ME save importing, but the endings of one Fallout game are way more reactive than the whole mass effect trilogy anyway.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

RagingBoner posted:

*shuffles, straightens papers on desk*
Hahahaha. I love you, RagingBoner.

Category Fun! posted:

VICTORY!!!
I have no idea what this is, but it rules. Desert environment and yelling = success!!!

CapnBiggles posted:

"Would I f*cking be here if I made Angry Birds?"

Haha, totally donated after I saw that video. I'm from the Wasteland age group but never had the opportunity to play it. I look forward to helping here though.
Thanks for donating CapnBiggles! You too Beaumont! Speedball!

No thanks for not donating now, Wolfsheim! I am going to play Spectators super-loud and hope you can hear it and that it inspires you to change your mind. I waved goodbye, I shed a tear, I've never felt for someone the way I felt for you--and I don't mean for anyone, I mean for you, Wolfsheim.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Quarex, I had never even played Wasteland before this (heard of it, and played a poo poo-ton of F1/F2, though), but goddamnit, your enthusiasm hit me so hard that I fired it up during my 17-hour trainride last month.

THANK YOU.

EDIT: I knew I loved it when I had the option to use an item, skill, or ATTRIBUTE to rip a door apart. Wow.
Oh drat. Thank YOU. It is great to know that we can build enthusiasm for the future and the past at the same time! Plus, "a day-long train ride and a laptop with DOSBox" pretty much sounds like the beginning to all the best gaming fantasies. Everyone else has those, right?

You should tell Convex that Wasteland still holds up:

Convex posted:

I have to admit I never played the original either, they never released it on the Amstrad CPC 464. Does it still hold up these days? Any recommended source ports or anything?
If you mean which version would be best, that is semi-subjective, though the DOS version surely has the crispest graphics and DOS probably has the best emulators of your options. It was originally written for Apple II, if that influences your decision.

Ddraig posted:

One of my favourite things in Fallout: New Vegas was the huge, huge statue of the two rangers shaking hands. The NCR Rangers and the Desert Rangers united for the first time. Best callback to Wasteland ever.
I am glad that someone else feels this way. I must have taken a hundred screenshots of that statue from varying angles at different times of day, posing with different outfits (the Western/military hybrid ranger gear in New Vegas was totally sweet). Of course, I also thought it was a gimme that one of the expansions would have the area just to the West of that statue finally open up, and be full of even more Wasteland references, but Old World Blues was pretty good anyway (and Lonesome Road was amazing I swear).

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I donated a hundred.

now onto the more important question, will they seriously make an RPG in 1 year? i don't understand how development rolls, i always thought it took an average of 3 years to make a decent game, so actually now that i think about it what does actually eat so much development time?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
There was a popular mod that opened that area and put a town there which was initially kind of cool but got weird really fast. It ended up a five-way fight between House's robots, NCR Rangers, Fiends, Enclave (!!!), and Brotherhood of Steel. The map of the town was huge, like maybe bigger than Vegas, but the geometry was all broken and you could get stuck in places.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Fizzil posted:

I donated a hundred.

now onto the more important question, will they seriously make an RPG in 1 year? i don't understand how development rolls, i always thought it took an average of 3 years to make a decent game, so actually now that i think about it what does actually eat so much development time?

Graphics and bug testing. Since they are doing a simple isometric RPG graphics are simpler and quicker and since it's Obsidian they aren't doing any bug testing Heeyoooo!

Seriously asset creation has become a monster time sink in modern games, putting together a throwback style game takes a chunk out of the time needed to create them.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 7, 2012

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

SirDan3k posted:

Graphics and bug testing. Since they are doing a simple isometric RPG graphics are simpler and quicker and since it's Obsidian they aren't doing any bug testing Heeyoooo!

Just another reason Obsidian needs to avoid publisher deadlines.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

SirDan3k posted:

It also will go faster because they know exactly what game they are making and will never have to revise it because the publisher doesn't like the direction.

Games don't have to take 3 years they just do because of the dozen companies with fingers in the pie. Normally they would have to come up with a master design doc, take it to a publisher, have them ok it, constantly update it when they don't like something, and so on.

Seeing how Brian Fargo has been trying to get this made for years and years I think he's got a solid grasp on the master doc and how much needs to be done. With nothing to be changed it's literally full steam ahead.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
And the Rubicon, she be officially crossed. Anybody holding out 'till Obsidian was officially in, now's the time to spend spend spend!

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Killsion posted:

Just another reason Obsidian needs to avoid publisher deadlines.

Really, essentially all buggy Obsidian releases - KOTOR2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol and New Vegas - can be said to be buggy specifically due to the publishers pushing for faster release dates. The folks just don't work well under pressure, it's all. Look at DS3, that turned out nice and smooth - in the bugs department, at least.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
And we got $2,100,052 on kickstarter right now!!!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Fredrik1 posted:

And we got $2,100,052 on kickstarter right now!!!

:toot:

And there's, what, 12 days to go? This could hit around 2.5 mil.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Nope, 10 days, but the donations are still coming in. We can look forward to another update before the weekend is over, make my words.

It's inspired me to donate to the Shadowrun Kickstart as well. Dammit, I'll muddle through without my spare time somehow. My friends will understand. Or they'll play as well. Whichever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lars Blitzer posted:

Nope, 10 days, but the donations are still coming in. We can look forward to another update before the weekend is over, make my words.

He's already teased the first bit of concept art will be released any day now. Maybe even today.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
What are the chances Obsidian (being a big name developer and all) doesn't just eat most of that money and we end up with a sub-par product?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

DerDestroyer posted:

What are the chances Obsidian (being a big name developer and all) doesn't just eat most of that money and we end up with a sub-par product?

According to an RPS interview with Fargo, it is just going to be Avellone and a few guys. They will however be able to use Obsidian's resources to minimize development time and cost etc.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Zero.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fizzil posted:

I donated a hundred.
Yay!

I ... I have nothing else to respond to. The other questions were addressed excellently.

Welp, reckon it is time for me to ride my Nuke Horse off into the radiated sunset.

Welp, reckon I do not own a Nuke Horse.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

DerDestroyer posted:

They are basically crashing on Obsidian's couch in terms of game development.

Won't impact Obsidian and Wasteland gets all the benefits of Obsidian's proverbial 60 inch tv while they are at work.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Sweet, at $3.5million we get Bioware on board to write the romances!

sorry. That was mean.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

DerDestroyer posted:

your title is apt for this post. please go on.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Masonity posted:

sorry. That was mean.

I'd pay 3.5 million personally to have Bioware not write the ending.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

randombattle posted:

I'd pay 3.5 million personally to have Bioware not write the ending.

Wait, I thought we all recently discovered Bioware couldn't write endings?
:stoke::supaburn:

I don't know what you're asking for here.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I'm saying Mass Effect 3 had a lovely ending.

The joke is I don't want Wasteland to have a lovely ending. I don't think this is a tough joke to grasp.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

randombattle posted:

I'm saying Mass Effect 3 had a lovely ending.

The joke is I don't want Wasteland to have a lovely ending. I don't think this is a tough joke to grasp.

The ending will be choosing which of three coloured bras the eventual antagonist wears for your game finishing sex scene. There will be a virtual nipple slip. And a cockroach on her left thigh, to keep things edgy and post apocalyptic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Masonity posted:

sorry. That was mean.
You are bad people, BAD PEOPLE.

• Locked thread